McCoy is done, Trade him

QB Bills

You wait till the trade deadline and see if a Contending team loses its Rb and is willing to give you something for McCoy... Otherwise you wait till the end of the season... McCoy's Dead Cap hit next season is only 2.6mill vs 9mill if he is on the team...

Hughes contract situation is quite similar... 2.9mill Dead Cap hit vs 9.6mill if he is on the team...

Murphy 3.5mill Dead Cap hit vs 8.575mill...

Clay 4.5mill vs 9mill...

All 4 of these players could be gone after this season...Total 13.5mill DCH vs 36.175mill if they are on the team next year...

And the Bills are already showing over 90mill in cap space for 2019...You can add in another 10mill for the annual NFL salary Cap increase to that total as well... Perhaps the Bills go for OL and Def help in FA and draft the best young WR in the draft even though it is rumored to be a strong Def draft...

Lot's of room for the lineup to change in 2019.

Edited by DefenseWins

29 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

You wait till the trade deadline and see if a Contending team loses its Rb and is willing to give you something for McCoy... Otherwise you wait till the end of the season... McCoy's Dead Cap hit next season is only 2.6mill vs 9mill if he is on the team...

Hughes contract situation is quite similar... 2.9mill Dead Cap hit vs 9.6mill if he is on the team...

Murphy 3.5mill Dead Cap hit vs 8.575mill...

Clay 4.5mill vs 9mill...

All 4 of these players could be gone after this season...Total 13.5mill DCH vs 36.175mill if they are on the team next year...

And the Bills are already showing over 90mill in cap space for 2019...You can add in another 10mill for the annual NFL salary Cap increase to that total as well... Perhaps the Bills go for OL and Def help in FA and draft the best young WR in the draft even though it is rumored to be a strong Def draft...

Lot's of room for the lineup to change in 2019.

How many good free agents do you think will be available? All that cap space for what....to replace McCoy , Hughes, Murphy and Clay....

9 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

You would think our OC would want to develop a strong running game with a team with a rookie QB and horrible receivers.

Maybe McDermott is instructing Daboll to create a “teaching” game plan for Allen. Like, trial by fire. We are going to suck this year so let the kid handle everything we can give him. I don’t care if it’s a disaster people learn best by practice, so these games are essentially just practice to McDermott.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't think so. Daboll is dumb. He needs to think about how other coaches got Shady doing Shady. Not how he got Bama to do Bama

Cause I could get Bama to do Bama "hey SABAN! HOW ABOUT ANOTHER RUN!"

"Sure it's another blowout take control if you feel like it I'm dialing up my post game suck it call to the dolphins. Enjoy going yo the Bills based on my recruiting genius ya dope."

18 minutes ago, nucci said:

How many good free agents do you think will be available? All that cap space for what....to replace McCoy , Hughes, Murphy and Clay....

The players I named are all on the wrong side of 30 and are under-performing and nearing the end of their contracts. These guys are NOT the future.

5 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

The players I named are all on the wrong side of 30 and are under-performing and nearing the end of their contracts. These guys are NOT the future.

I know...there is just going to be another big roster turnover next season season and many think all the cap space will fix everything

8 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

He had 5 carries today. If he were any good he should of had at minimum 500 yards. This clearly shows that he is in fact done.

I'd settle for 400 yards myself

Yours is one of the few posts that make sense here LOL

Sure I think a 30+ run game plan would make sense with a rookie QB and receivers that can't catch, BUT, you need an OLine for that! The thing is, you do NOT disregard the run like they did yesterday. Sure it did feel like a blowout at times, but 16-0 with two quarters to play, even 19-0, you don't ditch the run!

And I'm sure Shady can still play. Not with 5 runs and no holes will we see if he's lost a step or not!

1. No one is going to be a trade partner for McCoy (contract and injury are deal breakers)

2. He's battling a chest injury--they have slow/painful recovery times: he's not fully recovered, IMO he shouldn't have played.

3. You don't unload a player unless you have eyes on someone you want on the 53. I doubt the Bills covet any player that a trade could bring. I doubt there's gold to promote from the practice squad.

3 hours ago, vincec said:

When they didn't run the ball in the preseason I thought it was so that they could see what they had at QB. But now it looks like it's just their offense. As you say, not ideal given their personnel.

I thought the same. I actually liked they were pass heavy during the preseason, with the 3 QB battle being the main point to clarify. And just to see different wrinkles. But yeah, I thought they would return to a more run oriented passing game.

Now, I don't want them to try to be a "run through the middle bully" as that too doesn't fit the personal... And besides this last 2nd half where they should have still be run heavy, hard to know what they would have done if the score had been close. The first 2 games were blowouts, remember?

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This will be his last season with the Bill's. We'll keep Murphy and Ivory and draft another RB. Everything will accelerate if he found even partially responsible for the jewelry beat down. Other players joining Shady off this roster next year will include KB, Holmes, Taiwan, Alexander, Kyle, Peterman,  Miller, Lawson, Lee and Clay to name just a few.

Can't argue with this at all.

I mean, one of thise guys might sneak onto next years roster, but all the old and/or expensive guys will be gone (besides of course Star and T.Murphy)

As far as the spirit of the thread, I have been saying since last year that Shady has "lost a step". Sure, he can have productive games, but his days of big yardage totals and scaring defenses are all but over. He needs 20 carries to be great, but his body can't handle that many carries. On top of that, he's no longer the fastest (or quickest) guy on the field, so when he tries to run around everybody it's -3 yds instead of a 20 yard gain. His style does not age well, power RBs or vision RBs can play when they are old- but "joystick" RBs like Shady lose it when they lose the suddenness.

Going against popularity,  I thought they should have traded him last season.  McCoy is going downhill and I cant believe people don't see it.  He doesn't have the juking ability he once did.  Even if he wasn't going downhill, by the time this team has any semblance of an offense he will be average at best. 

At this point I don't believe Shady has any trade value beyond garbage picks at best.  Running backs all over the league are doing better than he is.  Pitts is only rumored to be asking for a 2nd and some stuff for Bell.  Bell right now is 100 times the back Shady is. 

I love McCoy and I am glad we had him on this team. Unfortunately his future here is nothing but a name now.

11 hours ago, goldenboy81 said:

Totally agree.I dont understand with the lack of weapons why the offense doesn't run through McCoy

Because McCoy is lucky to make it to the line of scrimmage.  Are you looking to go back to run, run, 3rd and long, pass, punt?

1 hour ago, boater said:

1. No one is going to be a trade partner for McCoy (contract and injury are deal breakers)

2. He's battling a chest injury--they have slow/painful recovery times: he's not fully recovered, IMO he shouldn't have played.

3. You don't unload a player unless you have eyes on someone you want on the 53. I doubt the Bills covet any player that a trade could bring. I doubt there's gold to promote from the practice squad.

Ribs

If we unloaded him it would most likely be for picks to rebuild. 

He's not done. He maybe has lost half a step. I think he can still be productive... somewhere else. 

I don't doubt for a second that they've already discussed the possibility of trading him. Just because of his contract and age. This entire rebuild is a huge youth movement. Guys like Kyle and Lorax are here to guide these young guns on how to be consummate professionals. They're probably retiring next year. Guys like McCoy, he still wants to play but I doubt he's down for a rebuild that's gonna take at least two seasons, knowing he only has a couple years left. They may deal him to a contender before the deadline, give him a chance to make a run for it. Same with Clay. Maybe Hughes as well but I think McDermott really likes Hughes for his intensity and how he practices. Young players can learn a lot by watching him. And his contract isn't terrible.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate these guys and like them as players but these things happen when a team tears it down and starts over. Some of these guys are here for specific reasons, veteran leadership being the biggest thing. Despite this being a full rebuild, you need solid vets in your locker room to show these kids how to play in the NFL. People wanna call out Trent Murphy and Star Lotulelei as "overpaid unproductive losers" because they aren't racking up 12 sacks and 37 tackles for loss per game. Some of that extra money in their contract is basically an apology from the franchise. I'm certain these guys were told, "Hey look, we're tearing this thing down, of course we're gonna compete and work to win but with projects like this, it's difficult to expect wins. But we know what kinda player and leader you are and if you wanna keep looking over your options, please do, but we think we're offering a fair deal for your services." That's why those guys signed here. Most anywhere else, they're looking at less money to do the same job (without being leaned on for the leadership aspect so much). So they sign here knowing they're coming to a team that's a few seasons away from competing but they're being compensated financially for that with the hope that by the time this team is ready to contend, these guys will still have another season or two at a decent age to try and help get the team over the hump. 

That's been the issue with Whaley and past GMs here. They all thought they could win now with what they had and just needed a few more players to "get 'em over the hump" but they never built from the ground up. Never thought they had to. And in 2014 they came close with a roster, in hindsight now, that was pretty good. But then you have a coach who quits and you replace him with Clownshoes Rex for two years until finally your owners go, "OK, what the fruck is going on, we gotta hit the restart button here." And the youth movement begins. Youngish, first time HC and GM, guys who came up together, understand each other (unlike Whaley and any of his HCs). There's symmetry there that hasn't been at OBD in a long time. 

So, it seems most fans are understanding that 2018 (and likely 2019) are gonna be not so fun to watch, but for those who aren't seeing the bigger picture, just keep in mind that they're willing to deal with two painful seasons in order to become contenders that can sustain that success on a consistent basis. I'll take that all day long. Gimme two years of absolute suckage if it results in 10 years of making the playoffs (or at least finishing with a winning record) and being taken seriously. That's much better than a 17-year playoff drought that swung back and forth between "we're gonna rebuild but we don't know how" and "we're almost there, we swear!"

5 hours ago, vincec said:

When they didn't run the ball in the preseason I thought it was so that they could see what they had at QB. But now it looks like it's just their offense. As you say, not ideal given their personnel.

Whats weird is I could understand if it was more like the patriots throwing a lot of 2-3 yard passes as an extension of the run game. But yesterday most of the routes were like 10 yard routes that take 4-5 seconds to develop... makes 0 sense to me

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

McCoy 4.8 YPC

Ivory 2.8 YPC

Yes Ivory might get an extra yard when there is no hole. But Shady gets 11 when there is a crack.

You picked the wrong game and the wrong argument regarding Shady.

Wrong game?  He had 24 yards.  Which of the 3 games so far would be the "right" game to point this out?

13 hours ago, QB Bills said:

And he needs to be moved before other teams realize this. I know he's playing hurt, but the signs were there last year. He's clearly lost a step. Ivory and Murphy have been better this season. Ship him out and try to get anything for him while unloading that contract. 

...he's done and needs to be moved?.....sound like tremendous value there.....

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Teams are selling out on stopping the run and daring Allen to beat him with his arm.  Allen hasn't been able to show that (yet) so they will continue playing this way.

is that what they are doing?

i thought they were just throwing their jock onto the field and it was won already

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Football players don't generally wear jock straps.

i've sat in the front row of a few games and can unfortunately attest that the o-lines are wearing a jockstrap when they play, kinda hard not to notice.

maybe others are wearing a cup...

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i've sat in the front row of a few games and can unfortunately attest that the o-lines are wearing a jockstrap when they play, kinda hard not to notice.

maybe others are wearing a cup...

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/sports/football/helmet-check-shoulder-pads-check-cup-no-thanks.html

Strange as it might seem, however, N.F.L. players do not protect — in any way, apparently — perhaps their most sensitive possession.

“In my life, at every level, I have never worn a cup,” Giants tight end Martellus Bennett said this week. “I don’t know anyone who has. I think most guys like to hang out and be free.”

Edited by Royale with Cheese

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

McCoy 4.8 YPC

Ivory 2.8 YPC

Yes Ivory might get an extra yard when there is no hole. But Shady gets 11 when there is a crack.

You picked the wrong game and the wrong argument regarding Shady.

Those stats don't matter. Stop being a thread killer

The man has 21 rushing attempts all season. 7 per game. Shouldn't we assemble a larger data set before declaring his career over?

Also, he's playing on an offense with an historically bad WR corps, maybe the worst OL in the league without Woods and Incognito, a rookie QB from the Mountain West Conference, a chronically underperforming TE in Clay, and a coaching staff who thought Nathan Peterman could be a quality NFL QB.

McCoy is one of the last people right now that I'm going to blame for the offensive woes. Maybe I'll revisit this topic in another month, but not now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

We all got to know John Dorsey in Cleveland a little bit on Hard Knocks this year.

He comes across as extremely unimpressive.  

Almost on the same level as his HC.

he has a better team than we have

Jumping in here late...but the Bills need to trade McCoy right now for some draft picks. He is of ZERO use to this team in 2018. Play Ivory and Murphy and get on with it.  There has to be a team out there, on the verge of contending, who could use a Veteran Running Back...right?

1 hour ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

The man has 21 rushing attempts all season. 7 per game. Shouldn't we assemble a larger data set before declaring his career over?

Also, he's playing on an offense with an historically bad WR corps, maybe the worst OL in the league without Woods and Incognito, a rookie QB from the Mountain West Conference, a chronically underperforming TE in Clay, and a coaching staff who thought Nathan Peterman could be a quality NFL QB.

McCoy is one of the last people right now that I'm going to blame for the offensive woes. Maybe I'll revisit this topic in another month, but not now.

Agreed. And while it's loo late for that, the Bills really miss a sane Incognito on the field! As I expected. The duo of #64-#25 was MONEY the last 3 years. So much so I still can't grasp why the Bills wanted Richie to take a paycut but that's in the past now...