We All Know The Bills Issues....Now Share Your Solutions

BuffaloRush

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha. Yea I think that is an overreaction at this stage. If Allen fails this FO is gone. But 4 games is a bit soon to declare that a reality.

But that is the odd poster... and a Spurs fan at that... so one with proven poor judgment :D

This isn't just about Allen, it's about the collection of players this regime has brought in through the draft and free agency. They're simply not good enough. 

5 hours ago, jtothebrown said:

Even when Brady retires, as long as BB is running that team, we will continue to get beat by them.

Granted when we play them without Brady, we generally do well, but we've never played them twice in a year without Brady!

If im Pegula, im throwing some ridiculous $$ at BB, with all personell control.

absolutely......pegula should give him 1000 acres of pennsylvania natural gas

On 9/30/2018 at 2:49 PM, Ray Finkel said:

Not to get off topic but did it appear they moved Shaq Lawson to the inside?   

I noticed this as well.  At first I was wondering who that #90 was at Defensive Tackle.  Then I remembered it was Shaq LOL. 

All in all I think the D did it's job.  Hold the greatest QB since Joe Montana to 22 points and get 2 turn overs.  A functioning offense would be thrilled to get this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

deluxe-690x1024.png

I like beer. I've always liked beer ? 

This year is going to be about mediocrity with highs and mostly lows. If we do not go fully 75% Offense in draft and FA next year I will start to question Beane. Benjamin is just bad. DiMarco takes up a roster spot. Logan Thomas can't even stay active on game days. Shady and Clay will be gone due to age and contracts.

It is too early to turn this into a 2019 draft thread but personally now that we are 1-3 I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy with the offense. When we couldn't get a 3 and 1 on the opening series in GB I felt that was all I needed to now about us winning the battle up front. So counter with a passing game? Not with a rookie QB, a line that can't get push for 3rd & 1 and a #1 WR wannabe/questionable TE.*  Daboll gets a pass this year due to talent and lack of focus on upgrading offense in 2018.

So my solution is to sit back and ride out this year. Unfortunately at this juncture I don't think I will enjoy it as much as last year.

(*as an aside I  wish our TEs would look like what I am seeing in Jax, Pitt, Balt et al. Their TEs are just punishing defenders)

Edited by Uncle Joe

12 hours ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't just about Allen, it's about the collection of players this regime has brought in through the draft and free agency. They're simply not good enough. 

I think it is a bit early to say that. Tre White and Matt Milano have been two of the best players on the team so far this season and they are both draft picks of this regime. Poyer and Hyde were also pick ups of this regime. 

I agree that the FA class this year is less than stellar but I am not sure when I look at the overall record so far I am ready to clean house. I think this regime deserves the chance having done its tear down to do the rebuild with 10 picks and plenty of cap space ahead of them. If the team still doesn’t look ready to compete and I mean compete not win 9 games by the end of 2019 then I will be ready to move on.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think it is a bit early to say that. Tre White and Matt Milano have been two of the best players on the team so far this season and they are both draft picks of this regime. Poyer and Hyde were also pick ups of this regime. 

I agree reed that the FA class this year is less than stellar but I am not sure when I look at the overall record so far I am ready to clean house. I think this regime deserves the chance having done its tear down to do the rebuild with 10 picks and plenty of cap space ahead of them. If the team still doesn’t look ready to compete and I mean compete not win 9 games by the end of 2019 then I will be ready to move on.

Count on an Englishman to give a measured take.

THANK YOU SIR. I mean that whole-heartedly.

I agree with getting Teller on the Oline supposedly a road grader coming out of college and can't be worse than Miller. 

Rishard Matthews has to be an upgrade from what we have. Any other WR's that can bring something to the table are worth a look. 

We have to get the running game going or else we are dead ducks. We have to give the QB an outlet either rbs, wrs or tes every play or especially on long pass plays because he is being pressured constantly and has no time. Too many times i saw last week on 3rd and short we are running deep routes with no outlets and taking a sack it's just bad playcalling.

There is no solution that can happen this season for the holes in the roster, which is the essential problem. At a minimum I would play the young players and see whether they have any ability to compete at the NFL level. I might ship out the one or two decent older players in order to get some draft choices. 

The only way this team wins any games this season is if the young players they have on the roster begin to play better. 

Fire Allen, Fire McD, Fire Beane, Fire Benjamin, Fire Peterman, Fireball, Fire New Era Field, Fire Billy The Buffalo, Fire The Marching Band, Fire Chris Brown, Fire The Goal Posts, FIRE EVERYTHING.... and then reclone Jim Kelly

On 10/2/2018 at 5:38 AM, GunnerBill said:

I agree that the FA class this year is less than stellar but I am not sure when I look at the overall record so far I am ready to clean house. I think this regime deserves the chance having done its tear down to do the rebuild with 10 picks and plenty of cap space ahead of them. If the team still doesn’t look ready to compete and I mean compete not win 9 games by the end of 2019 then I will be ready to move on.

Poyer and Hyde were both Whaley pickups. He was extremely good at finding guys like that. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Poyer and Hyde were both Whaley pickups. He was extremely good at finding guys like that. 

And Milano and White were both picked while he was here, using his scouting team's reports, and are classic Whaley-type players.

To address OPs question: There are no solutions for this season. Sit back, watch Allen and some young guys on Defense, and get ready to use our 10 picks and $90M in cap space next offseason. That's all we, and the FO, can do right now. I wish the Bills were winning this season, but they arent. Given my expectations I'm hoping we end up in the Top 5 for the draft. Keep trusting the process.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

No they weren't.  We don't need to go over this again.... the 2017 offseason was McDermott's show from start to finish. He was driving the bus, Whaley was simply stamping tickets. 

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No they weren't.  We don't need to go over this again.... the 2017 offseason was McDermott's show from start to finish. He was driving the bus, Whaley was simply stamping tickets. 

If you think McD walked into One Bills Drive with as much (or better) information as an entire team of college scouts and pro player personnel guys, then I have a bridge to sell you too. I'm sure he had final say on exactly which guys, but it was a team effort and he was definitely using their information to make decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott and Beane haven't had one quality pick up as a duo. I don't know how people can think that they guy who made so many great pro personnel pickups wasn't involved in those signings. Beane is getting credit for a team someone else built, like a coach who rides on the coattails of his predecessors recruiting class. 

Draft a Linebacker in the 2nd or 3rd Round to replace Lorax. 

Draft a Corner with the other 2nd or 3rd Round pick to go opposite White. 

Hughes - Star - Harry - Murphy

Milano - Edmunds - Draft Pick

White - Johnson - Draft Pick

Hyde - Poyer

On Offense

Sign a Top End Center

Sign a Top End Right Tackle

Sign two legit #2 WR’s

Sign a vet backup QB to replace Peterman

Draft a #1 WR in the 1st Round

Draft a RB to replace Shady in the 4th

Draft a TE with the other 4th

Allen - FA

Dawkins - Teller - FA - Ducasse - FA

Ivory - Murphy - Draft Pick

Draft Pick - FA - FA - Zay 

Croom - Thomas - Draft Pick - Lee

Edited by SCBills

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

McDermott and Beane haven't had one quality pick up as a duo. I don't know how people can think that they guy who made so many great pro personnel pickups wasn't involved in those signings. Beane is getting credit for a team someone else built, like a coach who rides on the coattails of his predecessors recruiting class. 

I'm one of the bigger Whaley defenders on this board, believe me. But I don't believe he had any authority over who was signed last offseason.  It was Sean McDermott's show from the moment he walked through the door and I think he knew within days he was bringing Brandon Beane with him.  Beane has a long was to go to convince me. I am not seeking to defend him at all. I just don't believe the Pegulas were letting their half out the door GM choose who to sign. Was the work of some of his scouts used? Yep. I'm sure it was. But ultimately the GM is the guy paid to make decisions not the guy paid to do the scouting. The decisions were being made by Sean McDermott. 

Bring in a proven guy who has good nfl experience picking offensive players and don’t let McDermott mettle.  These draft needs to be offensive heavy.  Then let McDermott choose d backs in the late rounds.

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

If I had a solution I'd be making millions of dollars a year as a GM.

You probably could be if you were friends with Bill Polian’s son or your dad worked in the nfl.  That’s how 90% of these guys get their start.  

• Like (+1) 1

It starts with firing McDermott and hiring an offensive minded head coach. It's unfortunate for McDermott. He might be a decent or even good coach although the jury is still out on that. But it's pretty clear the way to develop a QB in today's NFL is with an offensive minded head coach. McDermott would be a good coach for a team like the Chargers, Steelers or Packers. A team that already has an established veteran QB.

You have to highly question McDermott's ability to evaluate the QB position and develop a QB. McDermott has obviously evaluated Peterman to be good enough to spend a 5th round draft pick on, good enough to start twice including one of those starts being the season opener,  and good enough to remain on the roster. All three of those decisions, draft him, start him and keep him on the roster appear to be highly questionable to say the least. How can McDermott make sure a QB develops properly if he doesn't even know what to look for in a capable QB?

You also have to question his ability to develop or get a QB ready. Can he put the proper coaches and personnel around a young QB? So far the answer is no. He wasn't able to get Peterman ready despite thinking he was ready not once but twice. Allen has two really bad starts and one good start so far. 

It's absolutely not too soon to jump ship from McDermott. Unless Allen starts to improve a lot as the season progresses I think you have to jump ship from McDermott. The sooner Allen can get competent coaching and personnel around him the sooner he will have a chance to develop properly.

The only other option I see is trying to do the exact opposite of what the Rams have done. That is instead of bringing in a great DC like Wade Phillips to have complete control of one side of the ball, bring in a great OC to have complete and unquestioned control of the offensive side of the ball. But who exactly that OC would be i have no idea. And on top of that most great OC's are going to want a head coaching gig not a lateral move to Buffalo.

OP, this season is largely what it is at this point. Don't expect much improvement. The personnel on the o-line needs to be upgraded. We all knew that going into the season. Those upgrades won't happen until free agency. Same thing for the WRs. Two of the linebackers are very young and one is old as dirt. One DT is very young and one old as dirt. We need one dominant pass rusher. Might get that in the draft?

Specifically for this year I'd like to see us commit the to run more even if we are down in the score or down and distance. This season is a throw away season but lets not get our QB killed or expect him to make unbelievable plays every time we have the ball. Last week had Allen throw three straight in-completions inside his five yard line in the first quarter. That was dumb.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

46 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Draft a Linebacker in the 2nd or 3rd Round to replace Lorax. 

Draft a Corner with the other 2nd or 3rd Round pick to go opposite White. 

Hughes - Star - Harry - Murphy

Milano - Edmunds - Draft Pick

White - Johnson - Draft Pick

Hyde - Poyer

On Offense

Sign a Top End Center

Sign a Top End Right Tackle

Sign two legit #2 WR’s

Sign a vet backup QB to replace Peterman

Draft a #1 WR in the 1st Round

Draft a RB to replace Shady in the 4th

Draft a TE with the other 4th

Allen - FA

Dawkins - Teller - FA - Ducasse - FA

Ivory - Murphy - Draft Pick

Draft Pick - FA - FA - Zay 

Croom - Thomas - Draft Pick - Lee

Looking at next years FA class doesn't bode well for building the line that way. Good to great centers and tackles don't just become available. There simply aren't enough draft picks and quality available players to rebuild in one year. 

30 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Looking at next years FA class doesn't bode well for building the line that way. Good to great centers and tackles don't just become available. There simply aren't enough draft picks and quality available players to rebuild in one year. 

We could always flip the approach if that’s how it shakes out.  Draft the line in Rounds 1 & 2, then sign a FA LB and FA Corner.  

We should have FA $$$ for 2 Top End guys, a couple mid-level guys and some depth.  However we spend in relation to the draft is fine by me as long as we bring in at least 2 upgrades on the OL and 2 upgrades at WR. 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We could always flip the approach if that’s how it shakes out.  Draft the line in Rounds 1 & 2, then sign a FA LB and FA Corner.  

We should have FA $$$ for 2 Top End guys, a couple mid-level guys and some depth.  However we spend in relation to the draft is fine by me as long as we bring in at least 2 upgrades on the OL and 2 upgrades at WR. 

It's just really risky right now with what's available. They are going to need some big names to get released. There are quite a few spots that need to be addressed, and a lot of depth issues. 

My Solutions for the offensive side of the ball this year:

1) Get Incognito on psych meds and see if he can regain coherent thinking to come back and play.

2) Bring in Karlos Williams and other FA running backs for a workout.  Preferably one that can pick up a block and catch passes out of the backfield.

3) Immediately sign Tanner Gentry off the Bears practice squad.

4) Spend all of the high draft picks on offense linemen in April.

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

My Solutions for the offensive side of the ball this year:

1) Get Incognito on psych meds and see if he can regain coherent thinking to come back and play.

2) Bring in Karlos Williams and other FA running backs for a workout.  Preferably one that can pick up a block and catch passes out of the backfield.

3) Immediately sign Tanner Gentry off the Bears practice squad.

4) Spend all of the high draft picks on offense linemen in April.

Resign Nick O'Leary since Logan Thomas can't get on the field healthy anyway. 

On 10/1/2018 at 3:08 AM, BuffaloRush said:

It is hard to change the make up of an NFL team mid-season.  The time invested on the current time is way too high.  

The best starting point is to improve our coaching.  

1. IT starts with the Running game.  We haven't even tried running McCoy and failing.   When a guy gets 6 touches on the road and is your best player, that is a crime and falls squarely on the coaching staff.

2.  Stop forcing your Rookie QB to throw 35+ times...This is NOT College Football.

3. Teach your rookie QB to keep the football and not make silly mistakes 

On 10/1/2018 at 6:38 AM, BuffaloRush said:

We All Know The Bills Issues....Now Share Your Solutions

Time and a draft or two, and a year or two of FAs and scheme consistency. I know nobody wants to hear this, but that's the nearest reasonable solution.

On 9/30/2018 at 4:56 PM, mjd1001 said:

There isn't much to do to fix the problems short term.  Mid to long term:

-Hope Allen progresses and gets better, turns into a legit top 10 QB

-finish with a very high draft pick.  Find a taker for that pick and trade down and hopefully end up with 2 first rounders (at least one in the top 15 or better) and maybe an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Stock up with picks to fill holes.

-Spend money in free agency next year SMARTLY.  No high priced, older free agents. Target guys who are under 30...that may not be stars but are quality above average players.

-Stop spending the majority of money and high picks on Defense.  Keep the defense respectable...maybe even good, but give 80%+ of your attention to making this offense a top 10 unit.

Sooo basically we could've been a year ahead in this scenario had we just drafted Mahomes last year, kept our two 2nd round & two 3rd round picks this past year, and continued to build from there, only Mahomes would've sat a year behind Tyrod instead of sitting a year behind Alex Smith. I think i'd take that in a heartbeat. We also could've gone the KC route & added even more weapons in FA, and really turned this offense into something at least respectable to watch.