I Bet $5,000 on Minnesota. Should I Be Worried?

BuffaloRush

27 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

You're safe.  Even with a late TD in mop up time, the Bills won't cover 17. 

The way I was thinking, based how the Bills played the past 2 weeks, I don’t see them scoring more than 6.  That means Minnesota has to score about 24 points which I think they can do easily.  I am predicting a 30-6 Vikings win

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, a classic trap game for the Vikings.. Pack last week, Rams on Thursday..75% of the public money on the Vikings..i hope you got 2X on your money to be laying 17 into ever classic indicator that the Bills cover this easily

BTW do you live near Albany, have another screen name that involves a QB...i dunno, like @BringBackFergy ..and like to watch people head explode?

I see @BringBackFergy laughed, but I didn’t see a denial. You may be on to something!  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I did it.  I had the chance to bet a lot of money on the game and I did it.  Honestly I was really torn and I hate betting against the Bills but I had to do it.  I got a very attractive offer from a local sports book that I couldn’t pass up.

But I haven’t told anyone.  Not my boss, not my wife, not my parents etc.  Just this forum.  My wife especially would kill me if she knew I had $5,000 riding on football.

Since I made this bet though, I have been very nervous.  My stomach feels very uncomfortable and queesy.  I have not been able to sleep at night and have been dog tired all day.  

But really I have nothing to be worried about right?  The Vikings are one The the NFL’s best teams and the Bills are not.  I figure that the defense will hold the Bills to FG’s and the MInnesota’s offense will score at will against our porous defense.  So I shouldn’t be worried right?

I mean I would feel better if it was just picking one team to win but they have to cover 17 points.  That one might be tough and i am sweating it out.  

Hopefully I will have some nice cash next week and can put this one behind me.  

I would love to say I like this bet...but if you want honest feed back, I unfortunately don't like this particular bet.  Not to be a Debby downer, but like others have said, 17 points is a ton to cover and compounding that further, Minnesotas D hasn't been as good as their reputation this year giving up 20 a game.  So while I expect Minnesota to score 30+, I can see the Bills break 20 points too, especially with the potential of a late game score.  

More importantly, our defense looked like a different animal in the 2nd half once McD took over, so while I expect Minnesota to still score, asking them to make up a 17 spread is a lot.  One thing I hate about betting these big spreads is late game scores that often occur in large lead games.  In a game where one team is up big late, they often play softer D and pull starters.  So if Minny is up in the final minute or 2 say by 21, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Bills make a late score to kill the spread against soft D and some backups because Bills will keep attacking to get Allen more reps and 2 min offense experience.  

1 hour ago, gomper said:

I for one am with you on this one. I was in your shoes before SB 36. I bet our mortgage payment and some bill money and put 1,000 on the Pats +12 1/2. Placed the bet the morning of the game. Of course I didn't tell her. I went to a friend's house to watch. I didn't feel safe until towards the end of the 3rd. It was a wild ride. 

Good luck. That being said you should have taken the over. The don't call it a "back door" cover for nothing. 

You missed out on the moneyline! It was probably around +400. 

But a win is a win. That was a crazy two year stretch with two really unlikely teams winning the SuperBowl. Rams followed by Pats. That's when the worst NFL teams went from like 1000/1 to 150/1. Vegas doesn't like to pay out those kind of odds.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Are you being serious?

This is just a hypothetical, right?

Personally, I think betting $5,000 on just about anything is kinda dumb.  But I'm not a gambler.

But in terms of this game, isn't the spread like 16.5 points?

So you just bet $5,000 that the Bills would actually get worse and lose by even more to the  Vikings than the Chargers?

Yes, I think it was a stupid bet if it was real. 

McDermott should be calling the defensive plays (even if he says he's sharing those duties with Frasier), so our defense shouldn't be the sieve it was for the first 3 halves of football this season.

Allen showed his teammates last week he's resilient and I think that gives the rest of the team some confidence.

And shuffling Bodine in for Groy will hopefully prove to be an upgrade.

It was a shaky bet, at best.  I think you should have bet on your favorite team.  And that's not the homer in me talking.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

EAGAN, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikingsrunning back Dalvin Cook and defensive end Everson Griffen have officially been ruled out for Sunday's home game against the Buffalo Bills, coach Mike Zimmer announced Friday.

That is bad for my fantasy team, probably worse for the original poster though.

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

EAGAN, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikingsrunning back Dalvin Cook and defensive end Everson Griffen have officially been ruled out for Sunday's home game against the Buffalo Bills, coach Mike Zimmer announced Friday.

link

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I did it.  I had the chance to bet a lot of money on the game and I did it.  Honestly I was really torn and I hate betting against the Bills but I had to do it.  I got a very attractive offer from a local sports book that I couldn’t pass up.

But I haven’t told anyone.  Not my boss, not my wife, not my parents etc.  Just this forum.  My wife especially would kill me if she knew I had $5,000 riding on football.

Since I made this bet though, I have been very nervous.  My stomach feels very uncomfortable and queesy.  I have not been able to sleep at night and have been dog tired all day.  

But really I have nothing to be worried about right?  The Vikings are one The the NFL’s best teams and the Bills are not.  I figure that the defense will hold the Bills to FG’s and the MInnesota’s offense will score at will against our porous defense.  So I shouldn’t be worried right?

I mean I would feel better if it was just picking one team to win but they have to cover 17 points.  That one might be tough and i am sweating it out.  

Hopefully I will have some nice cash next week and can put this one behind me.  

hah! have fun admitting to your wife you have a problem and need help! enjoy the meetings and therapy. i don't know if you'll need a 2nd job to make the money up ,but you may to win your wife back. never ever ever ever bet on the bills. good luck to ya ....might wanna go to church before the game.?

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Steptide said:

5 grand? Geez louise. I wish I had that kind of money to burn

You make it sound like I just handed over the money.  It is a lot of money for me, which is why I’m so nervous.  At the time, I kind of looked at it as an investment.  Kind of like investing in the stock market.  Difference is this is a high risk-high reward situation.  Man am I feeling the pressure 

34 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not the best news for me.  I still think Minnesota has a better chance of covering the odds than not. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

You might win....but if not, just tell the wife you got robbed and the bad man touched your pee pee.

LOL this made me laugh.  Thanks for that 

24 minutes ago, pepsicat17 said:

What was the great deal you got to place the bet? Without that info we can not properly laugh.... ummmm debate this with you. 

Not supposed to tell but they gave me much better odds which means there’s a chance to make better money.  That’s why I didn’t mind taking 17 instead of 16.5 points.  

Just now, Búfalo Blanco said:

I wouldn't worry much, man... We're gonna get murdered.

Well I’m confident in a Minnesota victory.  I think they have a very good chance of winning convincely, but it’s the big spread and the potential of garbage time points that scares me

If the Bills win, enjoy the win and figure your money and karma helped.  Your wife won't care but The Force will be with you.  And no you can't sleep on my sofa.

If the Bills get crushed, you get $5K which buys a lot of solace.

But if the Bills lose by less than 17, there is no bright lining to that cloud.  

Thanks to everyone who chimes in here.  Even those who called me an idiot for taking the bet. You made me laugh which is always good.   At the time I took the bet, I felt really strongly about it.  The more I thought about it, I get a little more concerned - especially the garbage time.  

Sunday will be like the Super Bowl for me.  I might just try to watch the game by myself because I don’t want anyone to know how much I have riding on it.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You make it sound like I just handed over the money.  It is a lot of money for me, which is why I’m so nervous.  At the time, I kind of looked at it as an investment.  Kind of like investing in the stock market.  Difference is this is a high risk-high reward situation.  Man am I feeling the pressure 

Kramer-Bullshit.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

The way I was thinking, based how the Bills played the past 2 weeks, I don’t see them scoring more than 6.  That means Minnesota has to score about 24 points which I think they can do easily.  I am predicting a 30-6 Vikings win

Definitely hope we get more than 6.

14-30

Ruh roh 

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Not supposed to tell but they gave me much better odds which means there’s a chance to make better money.  That’s why I didn’t mind taking 17 instead of 16.5 points.  ...

so, you're saying they suckered you in.