Matt Fairburn: “Kelvin Benjamin Was The Worst Player on The Field”

BuffaloRush

Post game Bills Beat podcast.  Joe and Matt really hammer this team for a dreadful performance.  

IMO the best part is around 21:00 when Fairburn says that Benjamin was the worst player on the field.  He mentions the huge deals the WR’s got in the off-season and how Benjamin looked unmotivated today.  He had 1 catch on 7 targets which is not good.  He said if Benjamin is the #1 WR, then the Bills don’t have a #1 WR.  

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1

Tells you plenty about this guy when he's in a contract year and this is the result.

On another note, McBeane have traded quite a few 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up in the draft. They also did so for Benjamin, who to date hasn't done as much without his least favorite QB, Cam Newton.  

Like I said in another thread, I was stoked to get the guy. Thought it would be awesome to have a top of the line receiver to throw to. Finally, someone with a huge catch radius and size to get up and grab things. Kudos to Beane for getting him. 

Now, I think he's a lazy, fat piece of garbage that is barely half-assing it out there. That dropped touchdown was a joke. 

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Tells you plenty about this guy when he's in a contract year and this is the result.

On another note, McBeane have traded quite a few 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up in the draft. They also did so for Benjamin, who to date hasn't done as much without his least favorite QB, Cam Newton.  

This is McBean's team now, no blaming Whaley here and they have burned through draft picks like crackheads without much to show. They have transformed the team from a playoff contender into a very bad team...quickly. Benjamin is not the only problem here and it is hard to single out all of the problems when there are so many. I went the game today and there was nothing positive. Peterman was the worst player on the field without question but no one else seemed very prepared especially Daboll, Frazier and McDermott. If they Ravens had not pulled Flacco when they did they would have put up 60 points.

Edited by VADC Bills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

This is McBean's team now, no blaming Whaley here and they have burned through draft picks like crackheads without much to show. They have transformed the team from a playoff contender into a very bad team...quickly. Benjamin is not the only problem here and it is hard to single out all of the problems when there are so many. I went the game today and there was nothing positive. Peterman was the worst player on the field without question but no one else seemed very prepared especially Daboll, Frazier and McDermott. If they Ravens had not pulled Flacco when they did they would have put up 60 points.

Whaley wasn't fired because the team was a playoff contender. He was fired because he was spending like a drunken sailor and bet the farm on guys that weren't committed.  They topped out at 8-8 essentially on his watch. 

But McBeane haven't built much of anything in 2 off-seasons, aside from trade up 4 times in 2 drafts and have little depth. Their UFA decisions aside from Hyde and Poyer are abysmal and they've placed too much emphasis on people who buy into the system than individual talent.

Coach McD better get more flexible or he'll be processing his way out of town by the end of 2019. 

Edited by BillsVet

Nathan Peterman was the worst player on that field. He makes every other player worse that is on the field with him including KB. The offensive line is worse cause he has no pocket presence and can't sxramble, the RB's worse cause his passing game scares no one and the D stacks the box, and his WR's cause he has a weak arm and is not accurate. KB was not good but saying he was the worst player on the field is not a good take. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Me too.

If anything Beane made the right call on Sammy.  They saw a WR who was not worth the salary he’d likely command.  The Rams passed on him as well.   Tyrique Hill is the type of WR Sammy should be.  Instead his numbers today were pedestrian as they usually are.  

Beane received a 2nd pick plus a play in EJ Gaines who helped them make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.   It also enabled them to move on from a CB who didn’t fit their defense and gain more draft capital.  

Again, Bills fans romanticizing about the past. 

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1

Benjamin has a signature move when running straight up field and he is going to get called for OPI a bunch in the future.  He can't outrun the defender and when he gets to where the ball needs to be he pushes off the defender.  Should have been called twice today but wasn't.  He's not fast enough to run a streak route.

17 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Whaley wasn't fired because the team was a playoff contender. He was fired because he was spending like a drunken sailor and bet the farm on guys that weren't committed.  They topped out at 8-8 essentially on his watch. 

But McBeane haven't built much of anything in 2 off-seasons, aside from trade up 4 times in 2 drafts and have little depth. Their UFA decisions aside from Hyde and Poyer are abysmal and they've placed too much emphasis on people who buy into the system than individual talent.

Coach McD better get more flexible or he'll be processing his way out of town by the end of 2019. 

Whaley was fired because he lost the power struggle with McDermott that developed as the team was preparing for the draft.  My guess is it was a decision by the owners because McDermott was picked by them while Whaley was not only Brandon's guy but he had also been involved in a power struggle with Doug Marrone in 2014 which may have led to Marrone leaving after that season.

26 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I thought Whaley was fired because

1) he made the Pegulas and Bills look bad in that infamous post-Rex-firing presser.  I think Wawrow put it pretty bluntly, saying something like ‘before, he had a future with the team, after, he did not’

2) McDermott won the Pegulas over and stipulated bringing in his own GM as part of the deal (what he meant by “the Pegulas have ensure that I’m comfortable with the situation” during his intro presser)

But yes, the excuse that the whole roster needed to be gutted and rebuilt is wearing thin when we look at the contributions of players they have chosen to spend draft picks or money on.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

If anything Beane made the right call on Sammy.  They saw a WR who was not worth the salary he’d likely command.  The Rams passed on him as well.   Tyrique Hill is the type of WR Sammy should be.  Instead his numbers today were pedestrian as they usually are.  

Beane received a 2nd pick plus a play in EJ Gaines who helped them make the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.   It also enabled them to move on from a CB who didn’t fit their defense and gain more draft capital.  

Again, Bills fans romanticizing about the past. 

EJ Gaines isn't on the team, and that 2nd round pick hasn't proven to he worth anything. And we sit here with no receivers who can get separation. It's not romanticizing it's an opinion. 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Funny because shipping out Sammy and trading for Benjamin happened months apart.  One was not related to the other 

That's why I wrote it the way I did. I know Darby went for Matthews and a 3rd and Sammy went for Gaines and a 2. And that we shipped out a 3rd for Benjamin who has done nothing. But I see you're grasping at straws here because you're completely wrong.

People were thrilled with all of those moves and our WRs have been awful ever since. You made an awful post, move on with it. Don't stalk me. I've got my fair share of them too.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Whaley was fired because

1) he made the Pegulas and Bills look bad in that infamous post-Rex-firing presser.  I think Wawrow put it pretty bluntly, saying something like ‘before, he had a future with the team, after, he did not’

2) McDermott won the Pegulas over and stipulated bringing in his own GM as part of the deal (what he meant by “the Pegulas have ensure that I’m comfortable with the situation” during his intro presser)

But yes, the excuse that the whole roster needed to be gutted and rebuilt is wearing thin when we look at the contributions of players they have chosen to spend draft picks or money on.

This is spot on. Damn it Whaley, he didn't spend like a drunken sailor he just mumbled like one in front of cameras.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Drafting Bosa is a lose-lose. If he busts, he busts and you could have traded down. If he becomes elite you have to pay him $30 million a year and you have to let him walk in his prime.

Trade down all day every day.

are we really talking draft strategies already?

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Post game Bills Beat podcast.  Joe and Matt really hammer this team for a dreadful performance.  

IMO the best part is around 21:00 when Fairburn says that Benjamin was the worst player on the field.  He mentions the huge deals the WR’s got in the off-season and how Benjamin looked unmotivated today.  He had 1 catch on 7 targets which is not good.  He said if Benjamin is the #1 WR, then the Bills don’t have a #1 WR.  

Pretty much .

This is one thing I don't like about Beane is bringing in former Players that haven't been great. I know it's human nature but most times it's best to leave emotions out.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Pretty much .

This is one thing I don't like about Beane is bringing in former Players that haven't been great. I know it's human nature but most times it's best to leave emotions out.

“Leave the emotions out.”  Too bad 75% Of Bills fans cant do that

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

“Leave the emotions out.”  Too bad 75% Of Bills fans cant do that

To be fair, that’s for the people running the team. Fans don’t make a damn bit of difference as to who plays, who gets drafted, who gets signed etc. if fans weren’t emotional they wouldn’t be fans. 

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Uhhhh... 

The Bills don't have a #1 Receiver

Nor a #2

Nor a #3

Unless, you are talking about the Sunday Beer League!

They can't catch, run routes, get separation- NO talent! Simply trash, you'd rank in the 60th best in the league.

We have the worst OL & WR's in the NFL. And a promising rookie QB. What could possibly go wrong?