Tracker: Bills' Roster Moves to the 53 Man Limit - Two Players Awarded from Waiver Claims with Colton Schmidt Released

29 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It's kinda scary to think this team is going forward with the same offensive line players.  Like some sort of magic potion will give them the extra talent on gameday or something.

The plan to tank for real this year? Because Vontae Davis looked almost as bad at CB as did the line players on every string. 

Shades of Doug Whaley drafting EJ and then asking him to start with Erik Pears at OG. If that year's line (2014 because Pears had a -25 grade)was ranked 30th I gotta think this year's line will be Buffalo's worst ever. The 2018 Buffalo Bills leading the league...in sacks allowed and Interceptions.

Scary for sure. While I don’t think tanking was ever a part of their strategy, the ramifications of cap purgatory resulting from cleanup post Whaley are real. Severe limitations this year for acquiring talent, made worse by Wood and Incognitos untimely departures. That 2014 OL might look decent compared to this. Your projection may not be far off. 

3 hours ago, KennyDavisEyes said:

I know

Beane should have picked up an all-pro guard and an all-pro wr instead.

asleep at the wheel 

nice band if you like Texas Swing music.
Bills were broke before they started. bad hole to be in with 50 mill dead cap. Hope they look smarter next season after Free agency and the draft etc.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

I’m no o line guru, but I would’ve rather kept Redmond and cut Ducasse. Start Groy at G, Bodine at C and maybe Redmond overtakes him as the season goes on.  Or Teller pushes For G and Groy to C, either way... they should’ve cut Ducasse.

Juan Castillo has Ducasse on the friends and family program. 

2 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

I’m no o line guru, but I would’ve rather kept Redmond and cut Ducasse. Start Groy at G, Bodine at C and maybe Redmond overtakes him as the season goes on.  Or Teller pushes For G and Groy to C, either way... they should’ve cut Ducasse.

Depend on who they are going to start at QB.

i expect a quick read release passing game to overcome the PP weaknesses at guard and RT.

Some of the current Bills O linemen aren't bad run blockers so If that's the way they want to go forward most plays they might be thinking that they will be okay.

OTOH, when opponents stack the box and dare them to pass and they don't have more than 1.5 seconds because the line can't hold their blocks and the receivers can't get separation...well then things will fall quickly.

It's all going to be on Shady to do his Barry Sanders moves and if he can't make it to the line of scrimmage...

22 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Some of the current Bills O linemen aren't bad run blockers so If that's the way they want to go forward most plays they might be thinking that they will be okay.

OTOH, when opponents stack the box and dare them to pass and they don't have more than 1.5 seconds because the line can't hold their blocks and the receivers can't get separation...well then things will fall quickly.

It's all going to be on Shady to do his Barry Sanders moves and if he can't make it to the line of scrimmage...

like i have mentioned, the pass game will likely  be a quick one.  3 step and throw plays to begin with.

But most of them can run block. and some are nasty can get second level effectively.

pass pro will remain the weakness until proven otherwise

Just now, Kemp2Warlick said:

The #Saints are signing former #Patriots RB Mike Gillislee on a 1-year deal, source said. More firepower for their backfield.

Good for Mike. He's unnecessary(redundant?) for the Bills, but he fits nicely into the NO offense and fills a need during Ingram's suspension 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

With Nathan Peterman at QB? 

Not a chance. 

Josh Allen is the QB. Peterman would have to play at a Pro Bowl level to keep the job. 

I still think Allen will be named the starter.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

With Nathan Peterman at QB? 

Not a chance. 

The Bills have too many veterans with good coaching to have less than 7 wins. I think they will pull out nine again.

The new punter had one helluva college career...not sure why they hated Schmidt so much, though. He was a perfectly serviceable punter, and often got it inside the 20. Hope they know what they're doing with a guy who didn't make one punt in the pre-season. 

And even though the J is silent in his name, his nickname just HAS to be "Bojo," right? 

The CB signing could be very helpful....I have little confidence in Davis or Gaines.

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Cut. What really sucks is the kid that got hurt was going to win the job (IMO)...things happen in football but the punter getting hurt in preseason is not one you usually think about

Don't know why they are so desperate to replace Schmidt, when we have bums on our Oline that need replacing.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Don't know why they are so desperate to replace Schmidt, when we have bums on our Oline that need replacing.

Does that preclude them from upgrading elsewhere when the opportunity arises?  With the Bills 21st in the waiver order, they may well have missed out on OL claims.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does that preclude them from upgrading elsewhere when the opportunity arises?  With the Bills 21st in the waiver order, they may well have missed out on OL claims.

Pssst

People dont want to hear that we are 21st on the list.....we are supposed to get EVERY name out there we put in for

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Because if you have seen him in the preseason, he sucks. Idk if he’s hurt or just something is off. He has been terrible. He needed to be cut.

He did pin one on the 2 yard line against the Bears... He has always been up and down and it averages out to pretty decent stats.

Schmidt is pretty good at coffin corner situations when the team is near the 50 yard line or in the opponent's territory, but he has below average range on punts that need to go deep.

I will say though that the situation is a little strange.  How many teams bring in competition for their punter, proceed to cut the competition, and then cut the original player a day later in favor of someone who hasn't played during the entire preseason?  I am glad they are trying to improve the team, but in reading through this guy's background, I'm not convinced that this new guy actually is better than Schmidt.  Particularly in Buffalo where the stadium is below ground level and the wind screws with many mid-to-late season kicks.

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Schmidt is pretty good at coffin corner situations when the team is near the 50 yard line or in the opponent's territory, but he has below average range on punts that need to go deep.

I will say though that the situation is a little strange.  How many teams bring in competition for their punter, proceed to cut the competition, and then cut the original player a day later in favor of someone who hasn't played during the entire preseason?  I am glad they are trying to improve the team, but in reading through this guy's background, I'm not convinced that this new guy actually is better than Schmidt.  Particularly in Buffalo where the stadium is below ground level and the wind screws with many mid-to-late season kicks.

Not the same but even worse. The Bills drafted PK Gary Anderson in the seventh round out of Syracuse in 1982. Great college kicker. They played him in the preseason and he missed almost every kick including an extra point or two. They felt like they had to cut him because he couldn't make anything and they did. The Steelers picked him up immediately on the eve of the season and made him their kicker without ever having seen him up front or working him out  and cut their own kicker. 

Anderson of course became one of the best kickers of all time, played with the Steelers for 13 years and then for four other teams and is the second highest scorer ever. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not the same but even worse. The Bills drafted PK Gary Anderson in the seventh round out of Syracuse in 1982. Great college kicker. They played him in the preseason and he missed almost every kick including an extra point or two. They felt like they had to cut him because he couldn't make anything and they did. The Steelers picked him up immediately on the eve of the season and made him their kicker without ever having seen him up front or working him out  and cut their own kicker. 

Anderson of course became one of the best kickers of all time, played with the Steelers for 13 years and then for four other teams and is the second highest scorer ever. 

Because the fix was in.  He didn't want to play for the Bills even know he denies it.

Yep... And he missed in 1998 NFC Championship that would have propelled the Vikes to the SuperBowl... Karma finally caught up with him.

He may have won XXV?

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Juan Castillo has Ducasse on the friends and family program. 

i'm pretty sure i heard a bills reporter on air state that the team wanted to move on from juan and offered mike tice, but  ended up stuck with juan. i believe he will be gone, maybe before the season's over?  if they look bad(lost) right off, i wouldn't be surprised to see a change.   that's when vlad gets gone.

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that Bo Scarborough would be an interesting RB but not for the Bills. He is fast but he gets off the line a little slow. The Bills don't have enough blocking for him to succeed. They might as well sign a few more corners and employ the "process" of Jauron Ball.

Bo Scarbough

Seems like exactly the type of no nonsense leader McDermott is looking for.

The Bills passed on this guy 7 or 8 times in the draft despite his offensive coordinator being here.  Should tell you all you need to know about Mr. Scarbough.   However, now he can start his career in politics.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

How many Bills players in the top 100? Two pro bowlers still on the roster from last year in McCoy, Hyde.

If you concede White then we have the average number of top 100 players.  Still, that may not be the best way to judge.  How many Pats in the top 100?  Please take into account that Pedelman is missing 4 games.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I think that Bo Scarborough would be an interesting RB but not for the Bills. He is fast but he gets off the line a little slow. The Bills don't have enough blocking for him to succeed. They might as well sign a few more corners and employ the "process" of Jauron Ball.

He wasn't interesting to the Cowboys and they have a strong line.  They saw enough to not even give him a PS spot.

Common man.  Teams have cornerbacks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Bo Scarbough

Seems like exactly the type of no nonsense leader McDermott is looking for.

The Bills passed on this guy 7 or 8 times in the draft despite his offensive coordinator being here.  Should tell you all you need to know about Mr. Scarbough.   However, now he can start his career in politics.  

That was a really stupid thing for Bo to do and I think that it hurt his draft position. If you look at the video, the players all seemed to have a great time at the White House this year. His idiocy did not represent the team.

Because this is a passing league, the defenses are slowly getting smaller and faster. Imo, this increases the value of a big back. Remember how well Karlos performed on the Bills?

I want the Bills to get better blocking and a large tailback more than I want Bo specifically.

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah but he sucked. :rolleyes: