Tracker: Bills' Roster Moves to the 53 Man Limit - Two Players Awarded from Waiver Claims with Colton Schmidt Released

13 minutes ago, billspro said:

Croom has looked legit, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was Clays replacement.

That has to be the thinking at this point.  Groom Croom for a year to see if he can be the replacement, because Clay is not on the Bills roster in ‘19

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

none of the other tight ends won the best te in the nation in college. his dependability will be severely missed if clay goes down.

i've been behind my faith in this mcfo from the beginning but.....

when i see a new regime seem to find a way to purge every player from the old regime, red flags start flying......

it seems as tho they are purposely disregarding the body of work....the availability and reliability of some players for no other logical reason other than they didn't bring him here.

oleary was a much needed piece on this offense and will be badly missed. i'm sorry i haven't been through all the cuts and news yet, but this is gonna bite us in the ass....for no good reason.

What whaley players have they moved on from that looks like a big mistake now? 

Most of the moves, in hindsight, look ok to me. 

You have to remember that that we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes either. 

We don’t know how guys are performing in practice, or picking up the offense/defense, or even blowing their assignments unless it is obvious or we know the play call. 

I don’t really see any moves that were just to spite Whaley. They all seemed centered around performance, scheme and culture fit to me. 

There are are also a number of Whaley guys left on the roster, too -

Washington, Clay, Schmidt, Hughes, Miller, Mills, McCoy, Alexander, Humber, Groy, Lawson. 

There was actually a really good article on this exact subject (getting rid of whaley guys) on buffalo rumblings a little while back. Check it out. It may help put your mind at ease a bit -

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/5/17409612/brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-doug-whaley-guys-tyrod-taylor-marell-dareus-general-manager-coach

I predicted Coleman would be here at least 1 year due to $3.5M guaranteed.

I predicted McCarron would be here at least 1 year due to $4M signing bonus

I can only conclude myself and Ralph are cheap   and Beane has the green light to go for it.

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

So the coaches are going to cut Ducasse?

What? No, I replied to someone who said Ducasse should not make the 53. I replied that he is not going to be cut from the team while the coaches believe he's the best guy on the roster at his position. That's where we are right now. You asked me if I am sure of that.

The Foster thing is interesting. I’m not going to take the time to re-watch the preseason tape but it strikes me that he was getting open a lot but sometimes struggled with tracking the ball or making “natural” catches. They must believe he is coachable and will improve with experience. The athletic tools are obvious. I’m glad they took a chance with a guy like this over someone like Streater. 

• Like (+1) 3

Are folks really complaining about O’Leary’s release? He’s not a good blocker and caught all of 1.2 passes per game last year. It’s too bad we won’t see Fat Jack in a Bills hat any more but #thelegendofnickoleary isn’t a real thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Jason Croom and Logan Thomas and their combined 7 NFL catches will be a treat.

Almost as much of a treat as the four quarters our entire lineup of QBs has played in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Jason Croom and Logan Thomas and their combined 7 NFL catches will be a treat.

You seem upset about O'Leary.  Should the team not afford opportunities for emerging talents and subsequently not reward them for outperforming other players?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You seem upset about O'Leary.  Should the team not afford opportunities for emerging talents and subsequently not reward them for outperforming other players?

New players are never better than the guys you have.

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, eball said:

Are folks really complaining about O’Leary’s release? He’s not a good blocker and caught all of 1.2 passes per game last year. It’s too bad we won’t see Fat Jack in a Bills hat any more but #thelegendofnickoleary isn’t a real thing. 

Not really complaining, but the O'Leary cut was the biggest surprise to me.    O'Leary showed flashes in a couple of games last year and I think that he has a career ahead of him somewhere as a second tight end option.  However,  cuts like that happen on every team every year.  If the Bills feel like Croom or Thomas are better fits for the team, I trust them. 

5 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Not really complaining, but the O'Leary cut was the biggest surprise to me.    O'Leary showed flashes in a couple of games last year and I think that he has a career ahead of him somewhere as a second tight end option.  However,  cuts like that happen on every team every year.  If the Bills feel like Croom or Thomas are better fits for the team, I trust them. 

O’Leary was at his ceiling. Thomas and Croom offer more size and speed, and therefore create more mismatches. As a converted qb, the third year will be the charm for Thomas. I think Croom’s physique gives him the potential to develop into a complete package at the position. He very well could make clay expendable next year as some noted. 

As ive said elsewhere, this TE group will be the strength of the passing game, especially with a qb who sees the middle of the field. 

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really dont have a way to prove this....but I think OLeary got cut because he did not come along as a blocker the way the bills wanted him to.....

He makes catches....but so do the TE's that were kept....Logan Thomas came along as a blocker.....and he has all the prototype height....speed....size...etc etc

Croom is a BIG wide receiver....they list him as a TE but he is really a H back....and it will be interesting to see how he does this year.   O'Leary never had the wingspan...speed...etc etc that Croom obviously does have.

As for Thomas > OLeary remember Thomas is a former QB who will likely play the Joe Webb role of emergency QB this year

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That could easily be Taiwan Jones if it's not Thomas. 

Not aware that Taiwan has ever played QB.  raiders used him as CB and RB.

Logan Thomas actually played QB for the Cardinals when he came in the league.

25 minutes ago, TPS said:

O’Leary was at his ceiling. Thomas and Croom offer more size and speed, and therefore create more mismatches. As a converted qb, the third year will be the charm for Thomas. I think Croom’s physique gives him the potential to develop into a complete package at the position. He very well could make clay expendable next year as some noted. 

As ive said elsewhere, this TE group will be the strength of the passing game, especially with a qb who sees the middle of the field. 

Agreed on Croom.  He was off the radar, at least to me before the season, but could be quite a find.     Thomas was clearly a project in the beginning, but he has made vast improvements and seems like a likeable person that is easy to get behind. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Who's arguing that?  However, putting in a guy who isn't better doesn't solve the problem. 

...so then no to "Coop"?......

--Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports the 49ers are releasing guard Jonathan Cooper, who signed a one-year, $4.9 million contract in the spring. The former first-round pick of the Cardinals had offseason knee surgery and was slow to work himself back into the fold throughout training camp and the preseason.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then no to "Coop"?......

--Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports the 49ers are releasing guard Jonathan Cooper, who signed a one-year, $4.9 million contract in the spring. The former first-round pick of the Cardinals had offseason knee surgery and was slow to work himself back into the fold throughout training camp and the preseason.

I'd kick the tires on him for sure.