Todd Gurley resets the RB market with Rams extension

Will be interesting how this may effect Le’Veon Bells next contract.

I think Bell wanted money like that but I can’t see him getting it.

1. He is older

2. He has been suspended already 

3. He for my books isn’t as good as gurley. (Maybe the same but not better)

The Rams are making it rain this offseason!  Be interesting what happens when Goff is up.

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

1. He is older

Agree about the age and suspension but Gurley was terrible in 2016 (murder multiple fantasy teams for me).  Bell is the best all around back in the nfl but has issues.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Rams are making it rain this offseason!  Be interesting what happens when Goff is up.

Agree about the age and suspension but Gurley was terrible in 2016 (murder multiple fantasy teams for me).  Bell is the best all around back in the nfl but has issues.

I won’t argue too much. I would say Bell and Gurley are the best backs in the league and you can argue either one for the best in my opinion

man they have so much money locked up going forward. with goff coming up in a few years along with peters and just paying other positions you gotta wonder if they plan on paying donald?  it's a position not a lot of teams spend big money on.  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But I stuck with him and he delivered a title in '17!

Bell is still fantastic, but benefits from a terrific line (remember when people here didn't want to 'waste' a 1st round pick on David DeCastro?) and is older.  No way I'd give him this kind of contract.

Just now, aristocrat said:

man they have so much money locked up going forward. with goff coming up in a few years along with peters and just paying other positions you gotta wonder if they plan on paying donald?  it's a position not a lot of teams spend big money on.  

I think they will eventually pay Donald but extending Gurley now does free up the franchise tag if needed

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Agree - it will be interesting.  Not sure how they will sign Donald and Goff and pay Gurley/Cooks.  I appears that their strategy is have a few superstars and fill in with low paid talent.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But I stuck with him and he delivered a title in '17!

Bell is still fantastic, but benefits from a terrific line (remember when people here didn't want to 'waste' a 1st round pick on David DeCastro?) and is older.  No way I'd give him this kind of contract.

Agree on Bell.  He has little leverage.

i stick with Gurley too and lost my final by 0.5 on a defensive td by the eagles on MNF. ?

56 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

1. He is older

Agree(ish)... 1 and 2 will weight heavily on the final number guaranteed (we are just now beginning to see this crazy amount of guaranteed money however, it has not been given to positions or players with suspension(s) yet so that will affect his final number) however, he is hands down the best RB in the NFL (the way he is used at least) whenever he is on the field.

28 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

1. He is older

I see your point on the first two, still don't think Gurley is as good as Bell.  With that being said, I don't think its smart to pay anyone outside of a QB, LT, or Defensive End as much money as Gurley got, and Bell wants. 

On the money front there is no doubt they can manage all the contracts.   If they make three moves by the end of training camp they can make the cap this year.  

Cut:

Ethan Westbrooks

Rodger Saffold

Cut or Trade:

Mark Barron

They have a few big contracts fall off next year (Joyner and Suh) so they franchise Donald and then work on a big contract before the start of next season.

Gurley's contract is pretty telling, he will be in the last year of his new contract the year they need to resign Goff.  If Goff turns out to be a franchise guy they cut Gurley in the last year of his contract and sign Goff.  If he doesnt show that, they keep Gurley and find a new quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure this is actually the course that the Rams plan on taking, but for awhile, I've been in the boat of "If you have an elite QB, pay him like one. If you have an above-average QB, let him walk and keep trying." There's no sense in paying a QB that's likely just average or above-average like Goff currently is (it's certainly possible he could improve and become worth re-signing) the kind of money it generally takes to keep them IMO; I'd much rather build the rest of the roster and hope to strike gold on a rookie salary scale QB than to lock myself long-term into QB play that probably will never be good enough.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

If they want to unload Aaron Donald, I think we will gladly listen.

Not a big fan of this deal, but in their defense Gurley has been as valuable a pass catcher as he's been a rusher. Last year he was 2nd on the team in receiving yards and 2nd in receiving TDs. And he's easily a top 5 RB as it is. So I get it, but man the Rams are burning money at a record pace. They've sacrificed a lot of valuable draft picks too.

Edited by HappyDays

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I see your point on the first two, still don't think Gurley is as good as Bell.  With that being said, I don't think its smart to pay anyone outside of a QB, LT, or Defensive End as much money as Gurley got, and Bell wants. 

On the money front there is no doubt they can manage all the contracts.   If they make three moves by the end of training camp they can make the cap this year.  

Cut:

Ethan Westbrooks

Rodger Saffold

Cut or Trade:

Mark Barron

They have a few big contracts fall off next year (Joyner and Suh) so they franchise Donald and then work on a big contract before the start of next season.

Gurley's contract is pretty telling, he will be in the last year of his new contract the year they need to resign Goff.  If Goff turns out to be a franchise guy they cut Gurley in the last year of his contract and sign Goff.  If he doesnt show that, they keep Gurley and find a new quarterback.

I just think Pittsburgh uses Bell perfectly, where the Rams underuse Gurley.

Production wise I can’t argue. Bell definitely does more. But I think a lot of that had to do with Todd Haley crafting out a perfect offence for him, where Mcvay got pass happy at times and only gave Gurley 15 touches some games

25 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Rams need to go all in to sell the PSLs needed to fund that stadium. They need a winner next two years..and big. Every seat in the joiny has a license..premiums are at $100K..and 25% of the stadium is premium.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-chargers-psl-20180306-story.html

That's obscene.

!@#$ the NFL.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Suh's on a 1year deal, so are talib and joyner.  They didnt draft like anyone this year and won't have money moving forward but they should be able to lock up donald.

If a RB is a rare do everything well type in all types of situations, short yardage and big play runs, a down field threat in the passing game as well as behind the LOS, can stuff a LB on a blitz pickup and has shown that they can do this for an entire 16+ game schedule, they are well worth that kind of cap space, imo.  In fact, you could argue that because of the physical pounding they are exposed to and the shorter careers that go with it, they should get more than other positions.  Call it a hazard bonus for their most productive years.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

Goff still has 3 years of a rookie deal left, so worrying about their cap space right now - for him, not Donald - is irrelevant. Who knows if they're going to want to keep Peters, but hey, he's on a dirt cheap one year deal right now. Suh is relatively underpaid for the appeal of joining these paper tigers, and there was a rumor out there Donald was okay with getting his extension put off for the sake of having Suh as his teammate. 

Gurley definitely deserves every last penny in this deal. It'll just be interesting to see how exactly this will reset the market. I wasn't a fan of the Brandin Cooks deal, though, since he's already had 2 HOF QB's throw to him and both teams didn't really miss a beat by shipping him off. 

Rams are trying to make hay while their Franchise QB is under his rookie contract, much like the Seahawks did with Russell Wilson. When Goff needs to get paid, things will change. Rothlisbergers contract is 87 million at 22mil/ year so Bell is SOL until next year when he moves on and he still won't get Gurley money. 

he's putting up over 2000 yards of offense himself. that's a ton of production and worth the price. you cannot just find that production anywhere. you can find 1000 yard backs pretty easily but you can't find the guys that get 7-800 yards of receiving as well.

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

1. He is older

three wrong reasons!!!

14 hours ago, joesixpack said:

That's obscene.

!@#$ the NFL.

...and yet another NFL position goes crazy monetarily.....I'm thinkin' a $10 mil/yr P/K or punter could be just around the corner....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I won’t argue too much. I would say Bell and Gurley are the best backs in the league and you can argue either one for the best in my opinion

That will change half way through this season when Barkley is lighting the league on fire.

So the Rams are currently operating under the "hit on a drafted QB, use the five years of cheap labor to load up the team around him" model. It worked for the Seahawks for a while.

Here's the thing: eventually, the rookie QB deal runs out. Then you have to pay the man. At that point, you have tough decisions to make. See: The current Seahawks roster. 

If all goes well for the Bills and Allen is the real deal, they will have the same window. Five years to load up around your QB. Then the bill comes due and the GM's job becomes much tougher.

I will be incredibly interested to see how this all plays out for the Rams.