Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m a bit late to this party, but isn’t this what folks were saying last offseason?

I don't think so.  He was coming into his second season after having been injured most of his first.  I don't recall any "Shaq better shape up or he's out" stories.

I would be shocked if he wasn't on the roster week 1. Murphy hasn't played a game in a long time, and who knows if he will play well or be durable. Shaq knows the defense and he wasn't terrible. He also is on rookie contract. I think they are putting him on notice to light a fire in him.

Edited by Turk71

Maybe the kid is FINALLY healthy this year.

This is only his third year.

Give him a chance to prove himself this year as he is healthy.

There is no reason to get rid of a third year DE that is on year 3 of his 5 year rookie deal.

Non story.

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Maybe the kid is FINALLY healthy this year.

This is only his third year.

Give him a chance to prove himself this year as he is healthy.

There is no reason to get rid of a third year DE that is on year 3 of his 5 year rookie deal.

Non story.

Beane’s comments the other day lead me to believe it is a story. 

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

It's a story when it becomes one.

TC hasn't even started yet.

We will see what happens.

I just took it as a GM questioning the player’s commitment and from what we have seen Beane has a zero tolerance policy for guys who raise those concerns. We shall see.

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

This is crazy. He is not going anywhere unless its a trade for a key player.  His dead money is twice the cap hit!!!! Think about it....

He was tied for most sacks missing 6 games too 

Good point.  Costs too much to unloads him in an already difficult cap year. 

I dont think we should be done with him yet.

Having said that.....extremely concerned with the "ok Im going to take this year serious" thing

Just because your a 1st round pick does not mean you should not have been serious from the start......even more so for a counted on 1st round pick.

Still think his play in the run game is more then average.

They didn’t draft him.  They obviously have to cut him.

im not the biggest Lawson fan but who is the better player they are going to replace him with?  He’s pretty cheap.  Let’s not make another stupid Ragland trade just because you need to burn down everything you inherited. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Beane’s comments the other day lead me to believe it is a story. 

yes. 

he has been called upon to show why he deserved to be such a highly rated draft pick. not just by Buffalo either.
Beane and Co have done a fair job on giving him notice.

Washington should feel the same pressure from this Organization.

that being said. he should be part of a decent rotation on the early downs . Lets hope he fixes that post snap lag thing.

is he counting Mississippi's or what is that all about ? 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we should be done with him yet.

Having said that.....extremely concerned with the "ok Im going to take this year serious" thing

Just because your a 1st round pick does not mean you should not have been serious from the start......even more so for a counted on 1st round pick.

Still think his play in the run game is more then average.

He was bottle as a rook,  fed by Rex.
deserves free counseling and another chance. especially at this price point.

make or break year ?

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That and a dollar will get a DE a cup of coffee in today's NFL. If you can't effectively rush the passer from the DE position, you are basically worthless - a low-end rotational guy who bounces from team to team over 6-7 year career.

Yup.

He is in danger of reaching his Courtney Upshaw-esque floor.

I think the stages of drafters-remorse on Shaq are interesting to watch though...........wasn't that long ago we had people trying to sell the idea that they drafted Shaq in the middle of round one for his run defense.

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m a bit late to this party, but isn’t this what folks were saying last offseason?

I'm talking about fans such as yourself, though not saying yourself said so last year.  Unfortunately an archive isn't available, but he was on many folks cut list last year.

7 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Not worth the time...

Exactly, Deep down inside you know Hughes is a douche who takes stupid penalties and watched his player get elbowed in the head and did nothing.

And don't you guys ever see that the Refs never call a hold against him? He is blacklisted by the refs.  Remember when he got a penalty for tapping his own players helmet after a sack on Brady ( or stopping a 4rth down run ).

He's not a bad player, but he's not what you what for the money he's getting

35 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yup.

He is in danger of reaching his Courtney Upshaw-esque floor.

I think the stages of drafters-remorse on Shaq are interesting to watch though...........wasn't that long ago we had people trying to sell the idea that they drafted Shaq in the middle of round one for his run defense.

We talked about it pre draft, and I distinctly remember saying that he was an Adrian Clayborn type with Terrell Suggs measurables, whereas you were full-go on Courtney Upshaw.

At this point, I'd take Clayborn production from him and call it found money.

8 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Exactly, Deep down inside you know Hughes is a douche who takes stupid penalties and watched his player get elbowed in the head and did nothing.

I responded further up the thread if you want to discuss 

20 minutes ago, KW95 said:

And don't you guys ever see that the Refs never call a hold against him? He is blacklisted by the refs.  Remember when he got a penalty for tapping his own players helmet after a sack on Brady ( or stopping a 4rth down run ).

He's not a bad player, but he's not what you what for the money he's getting

Still not worth the time...

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

We talked about it pre draft, and I distinctly remember saying that he was an Adrian Clayborn type with Terrell Suggs measurables, whereas you were full-go on Courtney Upshaw.

At this point, I'd take Clayborn production from him and call it found money.

Seems like every draft there is that player or two that are like pre-arranged marriage first-rounders.

Someone is going to draft them in round one...... and you just hope it's not your team that gets that loveless assignment.

Shaq was that dude in 2016........his production and pedigree got him drafted despite what should have been worrisome tape.

My ceiling on Shaq was Melvin Ingram..........bad production until near the end of his rookie deal then a breakout year just in time to have to overpay $16M per year for a guy who is always going to be a full head less than elite.

The floor was Upshaw.    

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That and a dollar will get a DE a cup of coffee in today's NFL. If you can't effectively rush the passer from the DE position, you are basically worthless - a low-end rotational guy who bounces from team to team over 6-7 year career.

I know BADOL said this earlier, but Shaq's explosion off the snap is really poor and even in college it wasn't all that great.  

McD's defense needs to generate a pass rush from the front 4 and he can't have one DE who's not a threat to get to the QB.  Shaq may be healthy and buying in to keep his career going, but it's not going to make his a quick twitch type.  

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They didn’t draft him.  They obviously have to cut him.

im not the biggest Lawson fan but who is the better player they are going to replace him with?  He’s pretty cheap.  Let’s not make another stupid Ragland trade just because you need to burn down everything you inherited. 

I cant be that upset about the Ragland trade.....he absolutely does not fit what we are trying to do and it led us (indirectly) to the drafting of Edmunds who looks like a total scheme fit.

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think Lawson starts over Murphy?

No--old joke.

Famously weak draftnik Doug Whaley famously claimed that he drafted "at least three" "day 1 starters" in the 2016 draft.

The best whopper he told was that "Shaq Lawson is going to walk in  off the bus starting", when he knew that Lawson had a shoulder injury that would need pre season surgery.

27 minutes ago, ALF said:

Shaq is now healthy , in great condition and motivated. My bet is he makes the starting rotation.

They paid Murphy too much money.  My thing with Murph and Shaq is that I don't really see Murph as more talented and I don't think he will generate more than 9 sacks if he gives us that.  If they like Odigi then Shaq is going to be trade bait for a WR or OL most likely.  I'm not a fan of it but it's just what it is.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

No--old joke.

Famously weak draftnik Doug Whaley famously claimed that he drafted "at least three" "day 1 starters" in the 2016 draft.

The best whopper he told was that "Shaq Lawson is going to walk in  off the bus starting", when he knew that Lawson had a shoulder injury that would need pre season surgery.

tu

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No--old joke.

That's not what happened. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It isn't.  The thought was that he could play through the injury just as he did at Clemson with a surgery after the 2016 season. You are simply incorrect. 

Maybe you thought that.  Whaley didn't. He knew that (as was being reported at the time) 6 or more teams would pass on Lawson due to his well known shoulder injury which would require surgery not after an NFL season.

Then Whaley created this laughable set up:

"If something happens, it's going to happen. It's nothing that we're really worried about or we wouldn't take him. We have complete faith in our medical staff and they signed off on him, so we're excited to have him."

Then...oooops!--during a "conditioning program" immediately after the draft, "something happened"!  What happened during a routine day in the gym, you ask?...

....an "occurrence of the condition"  (gotta love that line).  And presto, oh my God, Shaq will not be able to play through the season after all.  Shocking!!  It's like all those teams that passed on him because of his well known surgically treatable shoulder injury somehow KNEW he would have surgery right after the draft----and therefore chose not to draft huim...

Crazy coincidence you would say, right?