• WR Zay Jones
    • DL Adolphus Washington
    • DE Jerry Hughes
    • WR Andre Davis
    • TE Charles Clay
    • QB Nathan Peterman
    • LB Lorenzo Alexander
    • Other (write your choice below)

At the start of each off-season, there’s always expectations from the fan base for players.  Sometimes those expectations are set low for players coming off a bad year, and it’s a pleasant surprise to see improvement.

Today’s poll.... which member of the Bills do see as the “comeback” player of next season? I’m looking for the name of a player who had a disappointing or so-so season in 2017, and has the potential to break out in 2018.

Edited by BuffaloRush

Just from the sheer fact that he's got proven production in the past, Jerry Hughes is my vote. It stands to reason that he should be capable of converting pressure to something more tangible on the stat sheet.

Kinda hard not to be rooting for Mr. Miller though. That's my boy right there.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Just from the sheer fact that he's got proven production in the past, Jerry Hughes is my vote. It stands to reason that he should be capable of converting pressure to something more tangible on the stat sheet.

Kinda hard not to be rooting for Mr. Miller though. That's my boy right there.

I voted Jerry Hughes also.  He played well last year but his sacks were low as was for the whole defense.

Since sacks are so important to most for a DE, I think that number goes north with more pressure from the rest of the DL.

Having JH play well through 2019 would be big thing for Beane.  He can use picks to fill in all the other positions.

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Vontae Davis or Trent Murphy. If it is a player who was a Bill last year I pick Benjamin.

I was going with David or Murphy also

5 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You guys are bat-s**t crazy if you don't think it will be Zay!

...no...I don't really think that.  I just thought swearing and an exclamation point would add gravitas to my position.

Your avatar makes me read every post of yours in a yelling voice in my head.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I was going with David or Murphy also

If those guys both play well the defense could be really good.

I assume spell check changed Davis to David.? 

• Like (+1) 1

Comeback player? 

Its usually reserved for the injured, no?  Or the guys who played horribly.   

That leaves 2 choices.   Nate and Zay.   Seeing how Nate will remain the backup one would say Zay, but after his wacado moment and new sergery I'm not so sure it will be him either.

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

If those guys both play well the defense could be really good.

I assume spell check changed Davis to David.? 

Yeah it definitely did change it.

I swear my new phone actually auto changes words after I hit send.

Happens in texts all the time between my wife and I, she has the same phone, we are both like "I definitely checked before I sent that and that's not what it said!!"

Anyway... Yes I'm thinking that if Davis and Murphy play well then it'll be a top5 defense

i picked shaq because he's been on the team and everything i hear or read about him makes me believe he's gonna look and perform on a whole other level.

other than that, i think trent murphy's gonna be a head hunting monster and i predict that 3 guys will have double digit sacks....hughes/murphy/lorax.

combine that with contributions from guys like shaq and yarborough, i think we will be in the top 10 perhaps even top 5 in sacks this year.

what a huge difference it will be from last year.

Edited by billsredneck1

I picked Miller because I think his stint on the bench may have motivated him. Also the change in coaches and scheme may have played with him mentally last year (not Cog's mental!). New OC coach, scheme and hopefully focus for Miller.

Edited by Uncle Joe

17 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Not on the list but I'm gonna say Kelvin Benjamin.

Same here. The offense was different - just plain better - in those rare moments when a reasonably healthy Benjamin was on the field. He even made Nathan Peterman look o.k. in that snow game. And this is his contract season, which never hurts, particularly with guys who have a reputation for sometimes not staying in tip top shape.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

Zay had a shoulder injury all last season . Once his knee is 100% he should be good to go.

Via Vic Carruci of the Buffalo News, Bills coach Sean McDermott said Jones had undergone knee surgery, and would miss the rest of their offseason workouts.           May 24, 2018

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/24/bills-wideout-zay-jones-has-knee-surgery/

Good choices.  That is a disappointing group that needs to step up, with the exception of Lorax IMO.  The dude is a beast, as witnessed in Jacksonville playoff game.  He plays every special team play and excels.  And he was not used properly last season, and had zero help from front 4.   Lorax is one of my favorite Bills

The “ Legend “ of Peterman will start week 1 and lead us to 9-7 with a Wild Card victory.

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of his rookie season, with the help of Daboll’s quick hitting scheme and a healthy Shady, he will pass for 3200 yards. 23 TDs passing to 8 Ints and 3 Rushing TDs, one of which is a 26 yards scamper up the middle.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

<snip>  and 3 Rushing TDs, one of which is a 26 yards scamper up the middle.

Did he go to Spring Training for some sliding practice?

Edited by Uncle Joe

4 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

To be a "comeback player", you have to have "been there" before, so guys like Jones and Lawson shouldn't be an option (they would be "breakout" players).

Based on the necessary criteria, I'd say Benjamin on offense and Hughes on defense.

Spot on, that is what  a 'comeback' player is, someone who has performed at a high level and fallen off or got injured. Shaq, Peterman, Jones, Washington, etc would not qualify as they have never shown anything.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Spot on, that is what  a 'comeback' player is, someone who has performed at a high level and fallen off or got injured. Shaq, Peterman, Jones, Washington, etc would not qualify as they have never shown anything.

Maybe but a lot of that is semantics.  The gist of the thread is, which player do you think will exceed expectations from last season.

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Comeback player? 

Its usually reserved for the injured, no?  Or the guys who played horribly.   

That leaves 2 choices.   Nate and Zay.   Seeing how Nate will remain the backup one would say Zay, but after his wacado moment and new sergery I'm not so sure it will be him either.

under these criteria...how 'bout Rod Streater?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I agree they fall under most improved player. 

Don't you have to show competence at the NFL level in order to be a comeback player?  I don't see how Zay Jones could be an option.  I'll go with Hughes as they got bigger at DT which should free Hughes up for more sacks.  Plus, he's well aware he could be a cap causality next year so there's money on the line for him.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:58 AM, ALF said:

Zay had a shoulder injury all last season . Once his knee is 100% he should be good to go.

Via Vic Carruci of the Buffalo News, Bills coach Sean McDermott said Jones had undergone knee surgery, and would miss the rest of their offseason workouts.           May 24, 2018

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/24/bills-wideout-zay-jones-has-knee-surgery/

IF he had a shoulder year all year then he should have been on injury report.

Until I hear from Bills (or NFL fining them) I will assume it was agent's speak for my client did not do a good job and please retain him.

Knee injury is probably Jones kneeling in praise to agent.