Josh Rosen already impressing in Arizona.

17 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I was listening to Colin Cowherd and he said according to league sources Rosen is already blowing everyone away.

According to the source Rosen "looked incredible" and is already a virtual lock to be starting week 1.

Did we mess this up? 

This is not Bills related...is it?

18 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I was listening to Colin Cowherd and he said according to league sources Rosen is already blowing everyone away.

According to the source Rosen "looked incredible" and is already a virtual lock to be starting week 1.

Did we mess this up? 

This is a Bills forum. Why do we care about Arizona's quarterback?

On 5/25/2018 at 3:27 AM, eball said:

I know you put a great deal of time into your QB evaluations and I respect that, but wow.  If the Bills drafted Josh Allen at #7 hoping he'll be good for the 2021 season there's something wrong.

Reaching "the ceiling" is not the same as "be good."

Edited by Paulus

I don't doubt that Rosen is going to be good from day 1.  I wanted him too.  But i kinda' feel like his first blindside sack he's gonna get broken in half.  Maybe that's just me rationalizing that Allen is the bigger, more athletic guy so he will be good AND more durable.

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Only concussions can stop Rosen being a good Quarterback in this league in my opinion. I think he will start in Arizona and I think he will be rookie of the year. 

That said, as others have pointed out, you don't take Allen for him to be better week 1 or even year 1. You take him hoping in 4 years time he reaches that potentially sky high ceiling. 

You take the guy at #7 that you feel is the better pick.  Browns thought Mayfield (and reportedly Allen) was better.  Jets felt Darnold (and reportedly both Baker and Allen) was better.  Bills obviously felt Allen was better (and reportedly didnt even have Rosen on their board according to you).  And reportedly, even the team that drafted him (Cardinals) were trying to get Allen before Rosen.  None of that means anything after the draft is over, all that matters is what they do on the field from here on out.  

So clearly there is something more that could impact his success or failure than just concussions because concussions and injuries didn't scare teams away from Baker or Allen who teams had ranked ahead of him. 

And that something is his character and personality.  I know GB from previous convo's you like to turn a blind eye to this and brush it off.  But he has a serious likability issue whether you acknowledge it or not.  Plus, he has a total fake tough guy schtick driven by protecting his ego.  There are serious question marks on whether or not he can be a leader in the NFL and mentally handle the ups and downs of being an NFL QB.  Throw in questions about how much he really loves football, and there is quite a bit more here that could impact him being a good QB.  

Can he be...Absolutely.  I am not even saying he won't be...just stating that he is far from a lock and there is more to his risks than concussions.  Personally, I think his ceiling is Jay Cutler or Jeff George as I don't think his commitment and mental strength will be strong enough to be more than that.  But only time will tell on what he will or wont be.  

In the mean time...Allen is also impressing here and I am quite excited about this kid.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

I don't doubt that Rosen is going to be good from day 1.  I wanted him too.  But i kinda' feel like his first blindside sack he's gonna get broken in half.  Maybe that's just me rationalizing that Allen is the bigger, more athletic guy so he will be good AND more durable.

It kind of bothers me that people here seem to equate "bigger" with "tougher".    It's my personal experience that sometimes the biggest guys are the most "fragile", the ones who are always complaining of backpain and so forth while it's the smaller guys who have something to prove who have more grit and outwork them.  I don't claim that's universal, but the "bigger" = "tougher, more durable" isn't universal either.

Be that as it may, Josh Rosen is on NFL draft profile, the second tallest, and the second heaviest, of the 5 1st round QB in 2018.

Does being 1" shorter and 5 lbs lighter really make Sam Darnold less likely to break?

Does being 3" shorter and 11 lbs lighter confer a durability advantage on Baker Mayfield?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It kind of bothers me that people here seem to equate "bigger" with "tougher".    It's my personal experience that sometimes the biggest guys are the most "fragile", the ones who are always complaining of backpain and so forth while it's the smaller guys who have something to prove who have more grit and outwork them.  I don't claim that's universal, but the "bigger" = "tougher, more durable" isn't universal either.

Be that as it may, Josh Rosen is on NFL draft profile, the second tallest, and the second heaviest, of the 5 1st round QB in 2018.

Does being 1" shorter and 5 lbs lighter really make Sam Darnold less likely to break?

Does being 3" shorter and 11 lbs lighter confer a durability advantage on Baker Mayfield?

Big Ben has been injured pretty frequently in his career.  He’s a giant.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Big Ben has been injured pretty frequently in his career.  He’s a giant.

Sam Bradford is 6'4" (same height as Rosen) and 10 lb heavier, 236.  He's been notoriously fragile.  The extra weight has surely not helped him.

I think some guys have bodies that can put up with NFL punishment and some can't.  But it doesn't seem to correlate to how big or tall they are.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And that something is his character and personality.  I know GB from previous convo's you like to turn a blind eye to this and brush it off.  But he has a serious likability issue whether you acknowledge it or not.  Plus, he has a total fake tough guy schtick driven by protecting his ego.  

I don't brush it off I just don't agree with it. It is your opinion and one that maybe many others share. I think you are all wrong. That is my opinion. 

But my point here if anyone actually wants to read it.... was one supporting the Bills in saying that if Josh Rosen is better than Josh Allen in 2018 that doesn't mean they made a mistake. They themselves have acknowledged publicly that part of the attraction on Allen was the potential is huge and they don't feel the need to rush it out of him. 

The time to judge whether the Bills were wrong to take Allen over Rosen is, at the earliest, when the 5th year options become available not 1 week into OTAs in year 1. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Darnold looks a lot more solidly built than Rosen.

You can tell that from these pictures, How?  One is wearing a singlet and facing you.  The other is wearing sleeves and turned sideways.

Ouside of Darnold has a chubbier little face, I can't tell a thing about their relative build

Here, let me help. 

image.thumb.png.343e4de2f1c93c610694431145778d36.pngimage.thumb.png.849e24cf09f504b6f38b4c93363a0e67.png

Note that both of them are starting from the same place and have the same size stripe and NFL shield behind them

I'm just tired of this "Rosen's so fragile like a little twig" thing.  He's 6'4", 226.  Darnold is 6'3, 221.  There can't be THAT much difference in build.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can tell that from these pictures, How?  One is wearing a singlet and facing you.  The other is wearing sleeves and turned sideways.

Ouside of Darnold has a chubbier little face, I can't tell a thing about their relative build

Here, let me help. 

image.thumb.png.343e4de2f1c93c610694431145778d36.pngimage.thumb.png.849e24cf09f504b6f38b4c93363a0e67.png

Note that both of them are starting from the same place and have the same size stripe and NFL shield behind them

I'm just tired of this "Rosen's so fragile like a little twig" thing.  He's 6'4", 226.  Darnold is 6'3, 221.  There can't be THAT much difference in build.

Did you watch the video?

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Did you watch the video?

Did you look at the pictures and apply basic engineering principles?  If two objects appear to be the same width relative to the NFL shield, are within an inch of the same height, and one has 5 lbs less mass, just exactly how can the other be so freakin' more slightly built? 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you look at the pictures and apply basic engineering principles?  If two objects appear to be the same width relative to the NFL shield, are within an inch of the same height, and one has 5 lbs less mass, just exactly how can the other be so freakin' more slightly built? 

Show me measurements for chest, neck, biceps, waist, thigh and calves and I’ll disbelieve my eyes.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I was up at Rosen’s college UCLA last couple of days for an advisors conf

the general view from the students is he was a prick 

The Cardinals won’t care how big of a prick he was or still is if he helps them win a lot of games. 

8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

That's not how it works.

Well it is kinda getting annoying people are stressing Rosen when not a single game has been played. You can probably go to a Cardinals fan board and salivate over him and make a few friends. 

Yes if Rosen is winning games and Allen is busting then people can grab the pitchforks and meet little resistance. Like I said before people are jumping the gun. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Well it is kinda getting annoying people are stressing Rosen when not a single game has been played. You can probably go to a Cardinals fan board and salivate over him and make a few friends. 

Yes if Rosen is winning games and Allen is busting then people can grab the pitchforks and meet little resistance. Like I said before people are jumping the gun. 

What do you expect? It's the 1st time since 1983 that the Bills drafted a 1st round QB while also passing on other 1st round QB's.

Allen, Rosen, and Jackson will forever be linked. Get use to it, it will only get worse. Hopefully it's Allen people say is the best.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What do you expect? It's the 1st time since 1983 that the Bills drafted a 1st round QB while also passing on other 1st round QB's.

Allen, Rosen, and Jackson will forever be linked. Get use to it, it will only get worse. Hopefully it's Allen people say is the best.

Yep, and it's only just begun. 

22 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

If some one wanted Rosen before the draft I don't expect them to change thier minds. I guess I should get used to it. Rosen could be the better of the QBs between him and Allen. 

A person can think Rosen is good without assuming that Allen won't be. At least this early in the situation. I don't think it's automatic that if one is good the other is bad. I'm just getting that impression from people. 

They both could be good and they both could bust. That's a possibility as well. 

Edited by Lfod

46 minutes ago, Lfod said:

If some one wanted Rosen before the draft I don't expect them to change thier minds. I guess I should get used to it. Rosen could be the better of the QBs between him and Allen. 

A person can think Rosen is good without assuming that Allen won't be. At least this early in the situation. I don't think it's automatic that if one is good the other is bad. I'm just getting that impression from people. 

They both could be good and they both could bust. That's a possibility as well. 

Yes, they both could be good. The comparison will live on throughout their careers. 

There are some people that wanted Rosen over Allen.  Some of them are still quite upset/angry we didn't take Rosen and are convinced Rosen will be a star while Allen will be a bust.  Those people will seize on any Rosen success or Allen failure/setback as an opportunity to say "See?  See?!?  I was right, the front office was wrong!  Rage with me!  See?!?  It's so obvious!!!".  That's why this thread was created, and sadly there will be more. >.>

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

There are some people that wanted Rosen over Allen.  Some of them are still quite upset/angry we didn't take Rosen and are convinced Rosen will be a star while Allen will be a bust.  Those people will seize on any Rosen success or Allen failure/setback as an opportunity to say "See?  See?!?  I was right, the front office was wrong!  Rage with me!  See?!?  It's so obvious!!!".  That's why this thread was created, and sadly there will be more. >.>

I was in the Rosen camp but Allen is the Bills QB and I will root/support the team.  I do think the professional talent evaluators are better than I am.