RD 5, Pick 154: Siran Neal S - Jacksonville state

7 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Father of twins.  Has played Hybrid LB, Corner and Safety.  Will also play teams.  Short area cover guy with some size and speed.  I think McD was really frustrated with not having short area cover guys and letting NE and others slant us down the field and then pitch the ball to a lightly covered Gronk for a big gain.  He had no counter moves..Edmunds, Johnson and Neal give him some potential counter.

Exactly-----someone gets it.

12 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Another lackluster pick.  This team needs balance.  We need some talent on the offensive side and picking small school guys in the secondary is getting really old.     

Ya know what else is getting really old? People thinking that a 5th round receiver is the difference between good and bad offensive production in 2018. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I'm not but we have enough defense, need to have balance

But when I think about it...the best way to beat the Pats twice would be with a stud "d". Outside of the Alexander spot...this 2018 group looks pretty darn good on paper with depth up front. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He looks like a heat seeking missile in this video. Did he just fall because he went to a small school? In some of those highlights he looks like the best player on the field.

Most of the time, he was the best player on the field. I don't think he really has top end recovery speed and might be sort of a chess piece on defense. Doesn't quite have the range to play deep in a single high scheme. And that he played a lower level of competition, where he was able to basically out-physical most of his opponents are why he was a day 3 prospect. But he is explosive and a monster. Love him for this defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Many say BPA, but I don't see this front office working by that mantra. Rather, they take players they like at positions they want to address . Different MO altogether. 

Except, your BPA list is probably different from than the Bills’

• Like (+1) 1

LB/Safety Hybrid, I always thought Bryan Scott was undervalued in that role, it would be nice if he could even develop into a younger version of him.  Then lining him up next to Edmunds in Nickel packages could be a real headache for opposing QBs.

1 hour ago, mileena said:

Cue the people who will complain we are drafting more defense. McD is a defensive coach; what do you expect? in the NFL, you win with defense and running.

umm no you don't lmao

this isn't 1980. You win with a QB that can successfully throw the ball. 

Look at the superbowl. Eagles had to score 41 points to beat the Patriots despite their all star defense. 

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Wow! This guy is very impressive. Super aggressive and moves well. Really excited to see how they use him. Excellent draft so far.

next up let’s get a OL or WR

That might be the most impressive college DB highlight reel I've ever seen.  Hits like a truck.  Shades of Antoine Winfield sniffing out and blowing up plays in the flat.

Edited by stevewin

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Mark Gaughan @gggaughan 56s57 seconds ago

So it's a bit of an overstatement to say Siran Neal S/CB wasn't a need. (if not an outright falsehood by me) . . . Given desire to play 3-S nickel and have extra CB option. Raffy Bush and LJ McCrae are bkup S right now. Neal had 40.5 VJ - 3rd best among S at combine

40.5” vert is better than many NBA players

Here is our in the box safety that carolina picked in shaq thompson a few years back.  Wow is he versatile and he reminds me a bit of Aaron Williams who liked to run down from the safety position as the play starts to get a full head of steam going into the running back.  Really like the kid.  His versatility makes him a very solid pick who may end up earns some playing time early on.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Here is our in the box safety that carolina picked in shaq thompson a few years back.  Wow is he versatile and he reminds me a bit of Aaron Williams who liked to run down from the safety position as the play starts to get a full head of steam going into the running back.  Really like the kid.  His versatility makes him a very solid pick who may end up earns some playing time early on.

If he put on 14-15lbs though he could start alongside Milano and Edmunds. Maybe they keep him at safety, I don't know but he is such a punishing tackler that I could see him making the switch to linebacker.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

If he put on 14-15lbs though he could start alongside Milano and Edmunds. Maybe they keep him at safety, I don't know but he is such a punishing tackler that I could see him making the switch to linebacker.

I think it depends how good he becomes.  I think we should focus on what he does best, being versatile.  Play him in whatever you need him to play at the time.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I really really like this guy, he can hit hard. No more marshmallows on defense. Is he a LB or a safety? 

Can we have him add 15lbs and plug him in at LB?

I think he will definitely line up at the line of scrimmage to help with the run support 

( LB no ) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I think it depends how good he becomes.  I think we should focus on what he does best, being versatile.  Play him in whatever you need him to play at the time.  

I could see him playing LB in nickel formations right away. I think Neal has starter potential down the road, not right away but eventually.

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think he will definitely line up at the line of scrimmage to help with the run support 

( LB no ) 

I think Sua Cravens type of player, maybe not as big or athletic but he has hybrid S/LB potential IMO.