RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

For all the "experts" who are saying that Beane and McDermott will eventually get fired for this pick, I think you're wrong.

#Bills GM Brandon Beane on Allen's tweets: We had to do our due diligence. At first, when you see it, you're like whoa. Terry and Kim Pegula were involved in this process and we talked to many around Josh, and this is not who he is today.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I wasn't very high on Rosen, I think he will play for 4-5 teams over his career. Did you see the smug comments Rosen made after the draft? The guy was poisonous and not the kind of guy you want in your locker room. 

Your bias is showing.  Rosen's comments were nothing more than a competitive guy with a chip on his shoulder, saying let's prove it on the field.    

Meanwhile, we get Byron Leftwich Jr.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I like the pick considering the fairly lowish cost to get him (Keeping 22 and not giving away any 2019 picks) but Allen is so risky with his accuracy. But large kid, cannon arm, and some factors in college certainly kept his completion percentage down (lower amounts of throws and bad WR's.) He also is a high character player with a smoke show of a girlfriend. 

I hope he works out, but man they need to find some more WR's and they only have pick 96 up next. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

How many sub 58% guys have worked out over the past 20 years? 

Matt Stafford is literally the only one and he completed 61% of his throws his final year. 

Jim Kelly worked out pretty well....but that's more than 20 years ago.

Baker Mayfield threw 4 times as many screens as Allen.   Do you think that would have changed the numbers for Allen if he'd thrown more short passes?     I do.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

How many sub 58% guys have worked out over the past 20 years? 

Matt Stafford is literally the only one and he completed 61% of his throws his final year. 

Can you let the guy play a snap? You don't know jack ****. But you already have labeled him a bust already, wtf is wrong with you?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Nearly nearly impossible to find a mock draft online that shows Allen dropping past 8. But he pros in this thread peg him as undraftable bust. Funny stuff. 

Blaine Gabbert

Alex Smith going 20 picks before Rodgers

Romo not getting drafted

Russell Wilson going in the 3rd

Brady in the 6th

quinn, Manziel, Weeden, Russell, etc going in the 1st

yeah, who could ever question nfl experts???

and I do feel about hating on the guy. It’s nothing personal but he was the last of the big qbs I wanted.  I was forced to watch the draft with my girlfriend, who’s only contribution has been saying Allen was somewhat cute.  I need to vent or I’d ?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They absolutely will if he sucks because if he sucks the team will suck. 

That pick is the defining pick for the process going up in flames or sticking around.

He's our QB now.   People may like the pick but not rooting for him to be amazing is incredibly stupid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dark said:

Here is the value of the two trades based on the commonly accepted trade value chart.  Yes, the value between 7 and 10 is different.  The Bills still got fleeced:

5ae28bec3e410_BillsTrade.PNG.b65bf7c6958727e25cdace46d054cf20.PNG

If Allen is a franchise QB for the next 15 years, there is no way they got fleeced 

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Winston improved his accuracy by 5% since enemtering NFL. That’s the knock on Allen. Put him to work on it. 

I’m concerned but I trust the process and also trust that he’s going to bust his ass to improve. 

Winston was a 66% passer in the ACC, won a Heisman & national championship in college.  No offense but I don’t think there could be a worse comparison.

Of all the top QBs I wanted Allen.    Bakers size and will he make those the plays at the next level.    Darnold with the turnovers and is he Sanchize 2.0 and Rosen....sorry concussions in 2018 scare me.... Yep I'll take Allen

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Can you let the guy play a snap? You don't know jack ****. But you already have labeled him a bust already, wtf is wrong with you?

Every advanced analytics study says he's going to be a colossal bust.  I'm not going to plug my nose and pretend this was a good pick.

Josh Allen was a mediocre QB in the Mountain West Conference. Given how hard it is to find a franchise QB in the NFL, that's not the type of guy you want to bet on with a 1st round pick. 

Accuracy and decision making are the most important traits when it comes to QB prospects, and Allen doesn't cut it in either of those areas. This is a guy who isn't remotely ready to perform on an NFL field. It literally might never materialize (see Christian Hackenberg - another big, strong, mobile QB with a big arm who is about to be out of the NFL after two years). 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

You like him, and more power to you, but it seems like you're suggesting people shouldn't be allowed to express a snap judgement on draft night. That's lunacy. I'm devastated we picked Allen over Rosen, and I've made it known. Doesn't mean I'm not rooting for Allen on the deepest possible level. 

53 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Some of you are out of control lol..

Like they didn’t meet with the guy, talk to his coaches, watch his tape, these are professional evaluators with their careers on the line, I think they see something they can work with here. It wasn’t even a forced EJ Manual pick, it’s the guy they wanted. 

R-E-L-A-X

Early on in the thread measured take.  Everyone needs to take a deep breath.

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Some of you were screaming to trade both 2nds and 3 first round picks for #2 and Rosen who lasted to the TENTH pick.  So glad you guys aren't the GM

Literal lol here.  A7 with  good takes all thread.

13 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

What kind of crap did you do when you were 15 or 16?

Probably a little worse than what he did?   No doubt.

I thank our robot overlords everyday that we didn't have social media back in the day.  Man oh man...

Anyway, I was just getting off a plane when the pick was made and just came home and read this entire thread.  Some real strong opinions around here (and way too many "know it all" hot takes).

I'm of the mindset that Beane and Co know this is their future in the league, so they made moves to get the guys THEY wanted. Not you. Not me. I probably preferred Rosen, but I don't watch enough college ball, so my opinion was probably way too informed by TBD.  I'm excited to see how he develops and am fully Trusting the Process!

Let's Go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Every advanced analytics study says he's going to be a colossal bust.  I'm not going to plug my nose and pretend this was a good pick.

Josh Allen was a mediocre QB in the Mountain West Conference. Given how hard it is to find a franchise QB in the NFL, that's not the type of guy you want to bet on with a 1st round pick. 

Accuracy and decision making are the most important traits when it comes to QB prospects, and Allen doesn't cut it in either of those areas.

Every study.....sure. At least he will be on the roster, not the IR like Rosen.

Edited by Tatonka68

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

Every study.....sure.

Google "Josh Allen Bust". 

There's hours and hours of material you can read about how he has next to no hope of being successful. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Blaine Gabbert

Alex Smith going 20 picks before Rodgers

Romo not getting drafted

Russell Wilson going in the 3rd

Brady in the 6th

quinn, Manziel, Weeden, Russell, etc going in the 1st

yeah, who could ever question nfl experts???

and I do feel about hating on the guy. It’s nothing personal but he was the last of the big qbs I wanted.  I was forced to watch the draft with my girlfriend, who’s only contribution has been saying Allen was somewhat cute.  I need to vent or I’d ?

Your post quite literally proves that anyone in here PRETENDING to know this pick is huge mistake looks like an idiot. 

I always laugh when people talk about these young qb in absolutes. 

7 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Jim Kelly worked out pretty well....but that's more than 20 years ago.

Baker Mayfield threw 4 times as many screens as Allen.   Do you think that would have changed the numbers for Allen if he'd thrown more short passes?     I do.

Yea and Brett Favre didn’t work out so well either haha

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

S0 in reality what did Allen really cost us to get this year?

1st

Glenn

Watkins

2nd

More?

Basically.

I just hate it. I would have rather sold the farm for #2 and Darnold. 

Whatever. Now I can be like all the TT haters and pick him apart for the next 3 years

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Accuracy and decision making are the most important traits when it comes to QB prospects, and Allen doesn't cut it in either of those areas.

Oh, I see. You're upset because you got fired from Russ Brandon's advanced analytics department. Have any high level business meetings scheduled for tomorrow? 

1.) Decision making: Josh Allen scored a 37 on the wonderlic, light-years ahead of Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold.

2.) Accuracy: Had a poor supporting cast, will benefit from having a stronger unit around him along with design plays.

Set the crack pipe down, you aren't clairvoyant? OK? You don't know what the future brings, PERIOD.

Edited by NewDayBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Beans Dream said:

Yea and Brett Favre didn’t work out so well either haha

The NFL is littered with the bodies of QB's that the "experts" said were going to be great.

There are guys in the hall of fame who never made if to anyone's draft board.

Let's see how this plays out before we proclaim people busts.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

It’s the fact that Rosen was there that makes me hate this selection. Rosen is such a better QB than Allen, but Beane and McD love the physical traits. I’ll root for the kid but I really hate this pick.

Also understand that the concussions could have scared the front office.  If Allen can be half of a Kelly or Rothelisberger  gunslingers, we will be alright

49 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

You're "confused" about Rosen being a prick?

Josh Rosen, on getting drafted by the Cardinals: “I dodged getting drafted by the Browns, Jets, AND Bills. I’m the luckiest man on earth.”

He is, and will continue too be an !@#$.

Source for this? Don't really care if he said it, is he wrong? Tonight just seems like another stupid decision from a franchise built upon stupid decisions, much like the browns and jets. None of the three are known for success or great decision making.

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

While he may not have  been my first choice, he WANTS to be in Buffalo and said he wants to make us look like the smartest team and he seems very excited to be a Buffalo Bill.

He is now our QB and I will support him.

Did any of the big 4 say they didn’t want to be in buffalo?

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Your post quite literally proves that anyone in here PRETENDING to know this pick is huge mistake looks like an idiot. 

I always laugh when people talk about these young qb in absolutes. 

Agreed it’s stupid to say something one way or the other.  I do think you should pay attention to evidence. And IMO, has the most evidence to not be successful as any top 10 qb since Blaine Gabbert.  

Also, for a guy with a cannon, he’d probably like Sammy to throw to. Oh well.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Basically.

I just hate it. I would have rather sold the farm for #2 and Darnold. 

Whatever. Now I can be like all the TT haters and pick him apart for the next 3 years

Do you have any kind of a guarantee that Darnold will be great?     Nope.....

No, I do not “trust the process” on this pick. Beane could be a masterful GM in every area, that doesn’t mean crap regarding his ability to land a good QB. If you read his excerpt on what he likes in a QB from last year...big, strong arm, durable. Basically Cam Newton 2.0.  Then you look at the comments by ESPN, Terry fell in love with Allen. So Allen matched what Beane likes based on what? Cam? A freak show athlete on all levels. Based on when every NFL GM likes? Yet with this kid they didn’t like it enough to take him....

You didn’t win this time Beane. You outsmarted yourself aided with ownership which made it all easy. Maybe even forgiveable when he busts. Did you watch his feet on any of the film? Who is the QB guru that will keep him from bailing in the pocket when he has a pocket? 

I hope we lock this thread and look back at it in three years and myself and many others have to eat it. I don’t see it happening. If Rosen pans out and Allen doesn’t it should cost Beane his job. 

• Haha (+1) 1