RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Just should have stayed put or traded  down to get Jackson or Rudolph. Can't even be excited about tomorrow's draft day with only two picks now. Hope he is more Matthew Stafford than Jake Locker but we will see. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Allen and Mahommes are the same type of prospect. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. 

Mahomes was at least good in college.  But the main thing for me is trust Andy Reid a million times more than anyone on the Bills at identity qb talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Somebody remind me again if Brady is strong armed or accurate?  At least he is a big guy.  With no OL left he'll take a pounding.

He'll be fine. AJ will be the one taking the pounding this year, while we let Allen develop.

45 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Cardinals only gave up 3rd and 5th round picks to move up. Beene did a bad job giving up 2 2nd round picks. Who cares about a 7th round pick.  

Cardinals only gave up 3rd and 5th round picks to move up. Beene did a bad job giving up 2 2nd round picks. Who cares about a 7th round pick.  

I have no idea how they gave up two second rounds. One would have got the job done. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I've been crucified for my love of Allen but I'm not worried, highest ceiling of any QB in the draft. 

His upside = Ben Roethlisberger

And his downside is Kyle Boller. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Just trying to understand.

How do they expect to teach this guy accuracy.... something you can't teach? 

Not necessarily true. His footwork/base needs work. If he can improve that and deliver from a consistently stable base we should see an improvement in his accuracy as well. He’s a project though, no doubt about it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Well.

It's a fact that Rosen or Allen would be gone, since AZ traded up and took Rosen.

Miami was very high on a QB as well, which is why AZ leapfrogged them.

So while nobody knows for sure, your assumption that Allen would still have been available @ #12 is much less plausible than my scenario.

Rapoport said AZ was interested to trade up and get allen. If he turns out to be a franchise guy for the next 15 years, no one is going to remember that the bills only traded 2 second round picks to get him. No sense getting cute with it

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is reasonable.

but right now, if you had to bet your house on it, would you bet on Allen being a star or a bust?  It’s so hard to predict college qbs transitioning to the pros but a low completion % is very troubling.  And it was in a low level conference.  

I think they fell in love with his size and arm and this BS that it snows every day in Buffalo.  I hate this pick but I’m rooting to be wrong.  But there’s so much evidence that he is going to struggle to make it.  His ceiling seems to be Joe Flacco.

Baker was my guy, but honestly Allen had by far the best offseason of any of the prospects.  Beane has my complete trust, so if they felt he was the guy, I will trust that more than anything.  So I am excited...all these guys had risk.  

But I wouldn't bet my house on any QB in this draft.  Darnold made a ton of stupid decisions this year, as much as people were enamored with him, the kid left you gasping every week at something stupid he did.  I mean there is no lock...to me, Baker was the safest pick.  So, I am behind it even though Allen wasn't my first choice either.  But I also didn't invest thousand of hours into researching these kids, so I will trust Beane who so far has 100% earned my trust with his wizardry since becoming the Bills GM.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan11 said:

Rapoport said AZ was interested to trade up and get allen. If he turns out to be a franchise guy for the next 15 years, no one is going to remember that the bills only traded 2 second round picks to get him. No sense getting cute with it

Agreed.

I'm not THRILLED with Allen, and I'm a little annoyed we gave up TWO second rounders, meanwhile AZ only gave up a 3rd and 5th to move up and get Rosen...

My response was to H20 who said "allen would have been available at #12" which I was asserting that he most certainly would not have been.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. ChumChums said:

He'll be fine. AJ will be the one taking the pounding this year, while we let Allen develop.

Who's developing Allen?  Daboll with his TE skills and 17ppg OC history or McDermott who's a DC by trade?  I don't even hate the Allen pick so much as I don't think we have the OL, WR's, or coaching staff to develop anyone.  If we had any real offensive minds we would have been able to score with the players we had last year like Lynn and Roman were able to do.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I have no idea how they gave up two second rounds. One would have got the job done. 

Yep.  They overpaid by the equivalent of an extra 2nd according to the trade value chart...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about the trade up. I just think we selected the wrong Josh.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

You're "confused" about Rosen being a prick?

Josh Rosen, on getting drafted by the Cardinals: “I dodged getting drafted by the Browns, Jets, AND Bills. I’m the luckiest man on earth.”

He is, and will continue too be an !@#$.

where'd you see this?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

This is basically an excuse.

They had all the ammunition needed to and refused. They went with Allen. If he fails they'll be gone.

what is an excuse?

H20 said he would have been available at #12.

I said he wouldn't have been due to AZ and MIA being ahead of #12.

I'm not sure what I was making an excuse about?

At least we didn't trade up to #2 or #4 and give away next year's 1st round (likely) top 5  pick.  And at least the Dolphins or Patriots didn't end up with Rosen.

These are the only positives I see tonight. We drafted Jake Locker, and not only that, unlike when we picked EJ, we actually had the opportunity to draft an elite QB prospect.

Edited by FLXbillsmafia
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

I've been crucified for my love of Allen but I'm not worried, highest ceiling of any QB in the draft. 

His upside = Ben Roethlisberger

His upside is probably higher than that, he also has the most downside. 

I will talk myself into it. I like his personality and talent. I'm going to rewatch film on him this week. 

Rosen/Edmunds would have been a first round made in heaven.

Troy Aikman said Rosen is the most polished passer he has ever seen and was worthy of #1 overall.

He also said that in all his years playing and watching the game he has never seen a QB with Allen's issues succeed.

I don't hate Allen but I have a hard time understanding why they would pass on Rosen.

Seeing him sitting there looked like a repeat of Aaron Rodgers on draft day.

Kudos to the Cards. They ain't so stupid.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Rosen/Edmunds would have been a first round made in heaven.

Troy Aikman said Rosen is the most polished passer he has ever seen and was worthy of #1 overall.

He also said that in all his years playing and watching the game he has never seen a QB with Allen's issues succeed.

I don't hate Allen but I have a hard time understanding why they would pass on Rosen.

Seeing him sitting there looked like a repeat of Aaron Rodgers on draft day.

Kudos to the Cards. They ain't so stupid.

Aikman was a UCLA QB also.   A little biased perhaps.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Baker was my guy, but honestly Allen had by far the best offseason of any of the prospects.  Beane has my complete trust, so if they felt he was the guy, I will trust that more than anything.  So I am excited...all these guys had risk.  

But I wouldn't bet my house on any QB in this draft.  Darnold made a ton of stupid decisions this year, as much as people were enamored with him, the kid left you gasping every week at something stupid he did.  I mean there is no lock...to me, Baker was the safest pick.  So, I am behind it even though Allen wasn't my first choice either.  But I also didn't invest thousand of hours into researching these kids, so I will trust Beane who so far has 100% earned my trust with his wizardry since becoming the Bills GM.

See I think Beane gets way too much benefit of the doubt because we lucked into the playoffs.  Besides our secondary and o line, our talent level sucked last year.  

And getting better in the offseason? Come on man, who cares about what he does in shorts? All I heard was excuses why Allen isn’t better.  The Bills aren’t a franchise that is known for developing qb.  Rosen is a guy who didn’t need much development.  Allen is another guy in the mold of JP and EJ.  I defended those guys even though we a ton of similar questions about them.  And they got proven right.

the thing that sucks is I was so pumped for this night & it was happy perfect.  So it’s hard to try to find the positives.  I only hope that if Allen becomes a star, we can bump this thread and laugh at it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2