***Speculation from Brownsboard.com***

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand why Hue would declare Tyrod the starter for the year if he likes Rosen. Rosen would probably start right away. I still think Darnold or Allen are the pick.

Whether he declared him the starter or not, you're absolutely right that it makes no sense to trade the 65th pick in the draft and pay the guy $16M to sit the bench

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The problem here is if the Bills come out and say they are thrilled they got either and that was the plan it's BS. The problem for the Bills is you can't come out and say will we failed and had to take one of these two. It's a giant lose lose either way.

Yep.

what makes me even more pissed is that imo we will have a top 5 pick next year in a QB class that is freakin awful. Go figure.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Whether he declared him the starter or not, you're absolutely right that it makes no sense to trade the 65th pick in the draft and pay the guy $16M to sit the bench

The more I think about it Allen actually makes the most sense for them based on the moves they've made. You don't trade pick 65 for a player you don't expect to start the whole year, QB or otherwise. Tyrod could conceivably be their starter for 2 years if they need him to. And I don't understand why they would have traded a high pick for him, plus a $16 million salary, unless they knew that was likely.

As you know I think picking Allen would be a horrible move but if anyone can get away with it it's the Browns. They have a capable starting QB and plenty of other picks, and they can take Allen without giving anything up. So even if he busts as bad as I think he will it wouldn't be a disaster for them. They could give him 2 years on the bench which is what he needs. It makes sense based on everything else they've done.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The more I think about it Allen actually makes the most sense for them based on the moves they've made. You don't trade pick 65 for a player you don't expect to start the whole year, QB or otherwise. Tyrod could conceivably be their starter for 2 years if they need him to. And I don't understand why they would have traded a high pick for him, plus a $16 million salary, unless they knew that was likely.

As you know I think picking Allen would be a horrible move but if anyone can get away with it it's the Browns. They have a capable starting QB and plenty of other picks, and they can take Allen without giving anything up. So even if he busts as bad as I think he will it wouldn't be a disaster for them. They could give him 2 years on the bench which is what he needs. It makes sense based on everything else they've done.

Indeed...from the moment they traded for Tyrod I've been thoroughly convinced that Allen was squarely in the conversation for them at 1.  Nothing has changed for me.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed...from the moment they traded for Tyrod I've been thoroughly convinced that Allen was squarely in the conversation for them at 1.  Nothing has changed for me.

Tyrod AND Stanton. When they signed Stanton I was like boom they are going for Allen. They don't want him to even worry about being the backup. He will have 2 yrs to develop

In what was a shocker to me as a "Darnold no matter" what guy Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson, and Al Saunders (he's become a de facto QB scout) are united in the belief that Josh Rosen is their guy, clear cut by a wide margin.

Throw in Scot and Dorsey - that is a lot of cooks in the kitchen!  Like a ton!

44 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The problem here is if the Bills come out and say they are thrilled they got either and that was the plan it's BS. The problem for the Bills is you can't come out and say will we failed and had to take one of these two. It's a giant lose lose either way.

No matter what player a team drafts , you know they are going to say something of this sort afterward. Bottom line is who cares? Does it matter one iota what the Bills say about their new draft pick? They will make the same contrived statements every team does , and it has zero effect on if the player is actually any good. All that matters is if they can play. Can't say it's a win or lose until that is known. 

33 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Tyrod AND Stanton. When they signed Stanton I was like boom they are going for Allen. They don't want him to even worry about being the backup. He will have 2 yrs to develop

FWIW, here's Hue Jackson on the record about Josh Allen:

"He has a cannon,'' Jackson said at the NFL meetings. "He threw a ball that hit a guy in the sternum and you could hear it go 'boom.' I mean, he can really throw a football. And when he does it all right from a biomechanics standpoint and his body being in line, everything, he throws it as pretty as I've seen.''

And when he's off-kilter?

"People say it takes 7,000 reps to change those type of things, but you can,'' said Jackson. "He has a lot of work to do. One thing about the young man, he's a hard worker. He'll work at it.'

I did some digging on this as Reddit is the other site I spend most of my time on and I hadn't come across this.  

This specific poster does not have a reputation as an inside source.  On that site he is viewed as "throw stuff at the wall" and supposedly deletes things that are incorrect to make himself look better.  The original post is from March 6th as well.  I can't imagine things haven't changed in the month plus since then.  So it is questionable info to start and also outdated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

FWIW, here's Hue Jackson on the record about Josh Allen:

"He has a cannon,'' Jackson said at the NFL meetings. "He threw a ball that hit a guy in the sternum and you could hear it go 'boom.' I mean, he can really throw a football. And when he does it all right from a biomechanics standpoint and his body being in line, everything, he throws it as pretty as I've seen.''

And when he's off-kilter?

"People say it takes 7,000 reps to change those type of things, but you can,'' said Jackson. "He has a lot of work to do. One thing about the young man, he's a hard worker. He'll work at it.'

I still tend to believe they are going with Allen at #1.  I think they view Allen as having the highest ceiling and are supremely overconfident in their abilities to guide him to reach it.

Nothing has changed, our ability to get one of the top 4 is solely dependent on the Giants and Broncos plans and Cleveland's willingness to give up one of the "blue chip" position players.  There's a very real scenario we are completely locked out as it stands and very real scenarios where a guy we are very happy with falls to a minimal price in a trade up.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand why Hue would declare Tyrod the starter for the year if he likes Rosen. Rosen would probably start right away. I still think Darnold or Allen are the pick.

Because the only thing holding Tyrod Taylor back was confidence from the Head Coach.^_^

Schefter, Rapaport, LaCanfora, Jeremiah, Evan Silva, Peter King, etc:

"I'm hearing a lot of buzz about Josh Allen in Cleveland"

TSW:

"No way, he's garbage, should go in the 4th round total smokescreen"

Some random dude on a message board claiming to have an in from a scout who knows he's getting fired:

"They are going to take Chubb #1 or Baker"

TSW:

"Yeah see, that makes total sense"

That post by Mind Character on the Cleveland Board in the OP was posted March 6.

He posted these (below) today:

There's 1 thing that is certain...we are in no way selecting Allen...

But it could very well be a PR move to get us to accept Mayfield...so if we as fans hear LOUD sounds of Josh Allen over and over again...when we hear Baker mayfield instead of Darnold they may be hoping that we'll just be relieved it's not Allen "At least it was not allen..."

OR the Allen rumors could be started by non-Browns entities as well as a whole host of other possibilities...

28 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Mind Character Do you think any smoke about Mayfield at 1 will start to emerge as the draft approaches? I find it hard to believe it would just happen out of nowhere without any hype whatsoever.

Only in the days right before the draft if we hear anything at all...

But I honestly don't think so just like there was no smoke when Dorsey took Eric Fisher from Central Michigan number 1 over Luke Joeckel from Texas A&M... no one saw it coming....

The Mayfield thing doesn't fit the narrative of the commercial football media...therefore, the story doesn't have legs so it will not be prioritized... that is, it doesn't make sense to most why Baker would go first because he's short and has Manziel comparisons to a lot of fans not really looking into things.

It's believable that we may go the way of Allen at 1 because of his big arm, and Dorsey going big arm... Mayfield is just not a believable smoke in the media's eyes...

Remember this... there was zero smoke on Dorsey taking Eric Fisher, Marcus Peters, and Patrick Mahomes....absolutely nothing.... no media pundit/draftnik foresaw that happening...

........and this:

The Giants' pick is worth something completely different if Darnold is available versus not.

Furthermore, Only deadlines make deals.

The main reason for leaks is to create an immediate deadline for a trade.

If the Giants could convince the Broncos or the Bills to get in a bidding war now for the number 2 pick and make the trade before knowing whether Darnold falls to 2 or not the trade value the Giants would get back would be inflated.

For example, if the Giants have spoken both with the Bills and the Broncos about a framework for a deal, but Gettleman and the Giants keep telling them there's a price to get the pick right now and there's a price to get the pick draft day after we see what Cleveland does... the Bills or the Broncos might say we'll wait until draft day when the price comes down...by putting out info that the Josh Allen is going first... the Giants may convince a team to pay the "Buy Right Now" price...

The Browns also have motivation to get a QB drafting team into the number 2 slot. Right now a lot of people think the Giants aren't certain to take a QB. By getting the Bills or Broncos into that number 2 spot, it guarantees us our nonQB prospect at 4.

We also have the motivation because if teams think Allen is going at 4 they may do like the Jets and just pay the trade now price for the number 4 pick due to them being guaranteed 1 of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield at 4.

That bounty with 1 of those 3 still on the board at 4 is different from that if Allen is on the board as I think all teams in the top 5 see Allen as the number 4 guy.

GMs and decision makers like owners with final say make poor decisions under pressure when the stakes are high like this year with the QBs.

Jets also have motivation to want to inflate Josh Allen's draft value. By putting out such info, they may be hoping info starts to leak from other top 5 or could be top 5 teams regard the QB they want...clarifying what they'll be able to get at 3.

Just thought it was an interesting read.  Seems most people on that board believe him.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PIZ said:

That post by Mind Character on the Cleveland Board in the OP was posted March 6.

He posted these (below) today:

........and this:

Just thought it was an interesting read.  Seems most people on that board believe him.

I think people on the Browns board are willing to believe anything that's not "we are taking Josh Allen #1".

Since it's reckless speculation time anyway, here we go.

1) I think the Browns have a position player they REALLY like, either Chubb or Barkley

2) I think they are worried the Giants like the same player and will take them #2

3) They really want someone to trade into #2 that's going to take a QB so they know they are free and clear on getting their guy #4 then they turn their card in on their top QB at 1

4) The Bills aren't willing to put the whole package on the table until they know who is on the board and by the same token the Giants know they can get more when it's clear who is on the board.

5) I'm convinced the Giants - Darnold is smoke, I think it's pretty clear the Jets like Baker, the Browns like Darnold and they want to get the position player at 4 but the Giants are playing back on the Browns saying "you better take Darnold 1 if you want him, don't think we are locked into the position player, Darnold could go without a trade"

Because of all that, I think everything's going to stay frozen up until the Browns are forced to make their pick, either they take the position player they really want at 1 and live with what happens at QB at 4 or they take the QB at 1 and see if their guy falls.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think people on the Browns board are willing to believe anything that's not "we are taking Josh Allen #1".

Since it's reckless speculation time anyway, here we go.

1) I think the Browns have a position player they REALLY like, either Chubb or Barkley

2) I think they are worried the Giants like the same player and will take them #2

3) They really want someone to trade into #2 that's going to take a QB so they know they are free and clear on getting their guy #4 then they turn their card in on their top QB at 1

4) The Bills aren't willing to put the whole package on the table until they know who is on the board and by the same token the Giants know they can get more when it's clear who is on the board.

5) I'm convinced the Giants - Darnold is smoke, I think it's pretty clear the Jets like Baker, the Browns like Darnold and they want to get the position player at 4 but the Giants are playing back on the Browns saying "you better take Darnold 1 if you want him, don't think we are locked into the position player, Darnold could go without a trade"

Because of all that, I think everything's going to stay frozen up until the Browns are forced to make their pick, either they take the position player they really want at 1 and live with what happens at QB at 4 or they take the QB at 1 and see if their guy falls.

This actually makes a ton of sense.  

7 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

wouldn't this be epic?!!!:o

yes working in the NFL would be :D

Oh, you mean Jackson to Cleveland, definitely.

10 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

This was the part of the article that really made the least sense....If they took Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield....at 1 there is at least to me...still a very good chance the 2nd pick is a QB and the 3rd pick is 100% going to be a QB....Chubb has a MUCH better chance to be at 4 still than Rosen to be at 4.  Surely the coaches, scouts and GM all are well aware of that this is the case.

that is why they are taking Jackson at 4

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So NFL front offices are just smaller versions of fan boards arguing over players, lololololol :lol:  :lol:  :devil:

I bet they are NOT silly enough to GUARANTEE!!!! certain scenarios like fans on boards.

I'd make it flashing letters if I could or made with balloons like magicians do it is so silly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

This actually makes a ton of sense.  

Want to get real into the weeds....

I wonder if the Browns and Bills haven't had a conversation.  I think it's pretty safe to say we want Darnold.  I think the Browns want that #2 pick traded before they draft.  I think there's a chance they've told us we can have Darnold if we go up and get him, something along the lines of "go to #2, we'll then flip 1 and 2, you give us back our Tyrod pick, you get Darnold, we'll take Rosen/Allen/Baker and save a little bit of money".  That could be the catalyst behind the trip to LA.

6 hours ago, Original Byrd Man said:

Actually makes a lot of sense.  Garrett and Chubb as bookends and still have one of the four QB's.  To be honest it's anybody's guess as to who will be successful out of this group so why not take the guy with the least amount of questions first.

So take the QB first. Cause a run on QB's. Chubb will probably be there at 4. Their QB might not, if they have a specific guy in mind.

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I wondered why the browns hadn’t just picked a guy by now. Man too many cooks in the kitchen

They are probably looking for a Ditka size package to give up number one and sooner or later some fool will fall to fan pressure and give it to them; hope the fools are not our front office.

7 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I used to have a source who was a bills scout but he got fired along with Whaley last year. I’d only get  post draft stuff. The only time he texted me from the war room was to tell me they were pissed Mark Barron got picked. Now he works for a afc south team

Well at least one of the leaks was plugged which is a good thing.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s true as a whole of any message board. But at draft time, believe it or not, info like this is more credible than what you see on mainstream twitter from the guys with the blue check mark who intentionally are being fed misinformation for the masses. To me, the fewer posts a guy has on a message board the more I believe what he’s saying. Usually they fly in, report stuff, and leave. If they stick around defending themselves incessantly like Dunkirk Don, I know they are frauds. 

Never forget Leroi correctly called the pick here on 2015 when no one had the name on the Bills radar. 

What would be great is if Leroi still worked in Buffalo so we would have some insight into what this FO is thinking and which, if any of these QB's might be worthy of trading up for. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

What would be great is if Leroi still worked in Buffalo so we would have some insight into what this FO is thinking and which, if any of these QB's might be worthy of trading up for. 

He does work there but no longer on the board

I'm telling you, well not telling, but suggesting that the Browns will NOT take a QB at one, nor will they at 4 if Barkley is still on the board, or if they do a trade with the Bills or some other team.  I truly believe that Tyrod is Hue's guy (both black) and Hue is a bleeding heart, and loyal to a fault.  If they get a QB it will be a 1 , 2 year project, someone like Allen, Rudolph, etc..  Hell it may even be Jackson, but I think they shock the world on the 26th at around 8:15 and select Chubb..  I know everyone is laughing at me, but Hue Jackson, if he has ANY say, will convince Dorsey that he can work with a project, let's collect picks and quality starters..  To a GM, that is also appealing as Dorsey knows Tyod is NOT going 0 - 16 next year, won't happen, in fact, they might even win their damn division with all that talent!

Tim-

16 minutes ago, D521646 said:

I'm telling you, well not telling, but suggesting that the Browns will NOT take a QB at one, nor will they at 4 if Barkley is still on the board, or if they do a trade with the Bills or some other team.  I truly believe that Tyrod is Hue's guy (both black) and Hue is a bleeding heart, and loyal to a fault.  If they get a QB it will be a 1 , 2 year project, someone like Allen, Rudolph, etc..  Hell it may even be Jackson, but I think they shock the world on the 26th at around 8:15 and select Chubb..  I know everyone is laughing at me, but Hue Jackson, if he has ANY say, will convince Dorsey that he can work with a project, let's collect picks and quality starters..  To a GM, that is also appealing as Dorsey knows Tyod is NOT going 0 - 16 next year, won't happen, in fact, they might even win their damn division with all that talent!

Tim-

Hue Jackson already said that they're taking a QB at 1.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/30/hue-jackson-has-dreams-of-what-to-do-with-no-4/

“Obviously, as you guys have already pegged it, we’re taking a quarterback, and then here comes the No. 4 pick,”

22 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

He just stopped posting?

he was banned by the mods as far as i know.  he is in contact with some people on this board but they do not post what he tells them out of loyalty to him

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

No matter what player a team drafts , you know they are going to say something of this sort afterward. Bottom line is who cares? Does it matter one iota what the Bills say about their new draft pick? They will make the same contrived statements every team does , and it has zero effect on if the player is actually any good. All that matters is if they can play. Can't say it's a win or lose until that is known. 

No but it is well known Buffalo has wanted to get into the top 5 draft one of Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, or Darnold. Jackson and Rudolph are not in the top 5. Your right that long term no one knows and the best 1983 QBs were drafted 1st Elway, 12th Kelly, & 28th Marino with Todd Blackledge flaming at out 7th , Tony Eason doing OK for NE at 15th, and the Jets getting a moderate starter with Ken O'Brien at 24th.

That said with everything known about the NFL draft and QBs especially, your best odds are in the Top 10 and in the case of this draft Top 5. The Bills not reaching the Top 5 would be a failure based on what we know now. Your right that we could hit on a guy late but I am looking at just the present.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wonder if the Browns and Bills haven't had a conversation.  I think it's pretty safe to say we want Darnold.  I think the Browns want that #2 pick traded before they draft.  I think there's a chance they've told us we can have Darnold if we go up and get him, something along the lines of "go to #2, we'll then flip 1 and 2, you give us back our Tyrod pick, you get Darnold, we'll take Rosen/Allen/Baker and save a little bit of money".  That could be the catalyst behind the trip to LA.

At this juncture, I think anything is possible.  Your theory is as valid as anyone else's.

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I know the Browns and Bills have spoken about the #4 pick.  Also the Browns are pimping Allen to try to raise his stock so that he’ll go in the top 4 and improve the value of that pick - either by going 2 or 3 or a team coming up to 4 for him.  They’re definitely not selecting him.  That’s the one thing this guy has said that I can verify. 

• Like (+1) 1