LA Darnold Workout Speaks Volumes

theRalph

Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up. That hasn't occurred as yet, but a 10-ton hint to this part of "the process" was dropped yesterday when reports surfaced that the Bills' top evaluators would travel to USC to work out Sam Darnold this Friday. When I heard this from Mike Schopp, I was compelled to call to say that the Bills must know they can get to #1 or #2, or why would you spend valuable pre-draft time vetting a QB you've no chance of drafting. Mike agreed, as did morning host Jeremy White this morning. Howard Simon questions, though, how can the Bills get to 1 or 2 from 12? Well, here's a bold prediction:

1. Browns select Josh Allen with the first pick.

2. Browns trade the 4th pick to the Bills with a big price tag. We've all heard what that price might be (12, 22, 53, 65...hopefully not 2019 first rounder also).

3. Bill trade the Giants the 4th pick, plus their remaining 2nd round pick (56) for the #2 pick.

4. Bills select Sam Darnold with the second pick.

5. Jets select one of the remaining QBs with the third pick.

4. Giants either select Bradley Chubb with the fourth pick, or trade down a few slots with any QB hungry team, with the assurance that Chubb will be available at 5, 6, or 7...maybe further.

We'll see.

Edited by theRalph
typo
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Pre1236 said:

Crazy days for sure. After all this if they end up staying put at 12 it will be a huge letdown. And the draft still seems sooooo far away.

It's going fast.  It seems like last week that the Jets traded to #3 and that was when there were 40+ days left to go.  Next week at this time we will be saying "NEXT week at the draft......."

Not happening. Too many holes to fill to not keep at least a normal slate of picks. Darnold may be just due diligence or there is a possibility he could experience what some would consider a "fall" to make him attainable to us. You can bet your a** though that they will not ransom this whole draft to move up 10 slots.  

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just give me one of the top 3 guys.......if you can do that without trading away all of our picks that would be great.

We also need WR's, LGs, and OL

and MLB

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Not happening. Too many holes to fill to not keep at least a normal slate of picks.

There are holes on every team. There will always be holes on every team. And, in this case, the Bills proactively created some of those holes. It, indeed, is happening.

Nah. What if the draft goes 

1.Allen

2.Rosen

3.Mayfield

Beane are we trading up to 4 with the Browns and taking Darnold? I don't know Terry we didn't work him out, can you stop calling me so I can watch his YouTube clip before I call Dorsey!?

it's not the most likely scenario but it's just Beane and company doing their jobs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Makes me wonder if the Bills are really moving up to 1, and not 3, or 4... Maybe that was the plan all along... The Bills two firsts, plus next years first,  plus some lesser picks and we move in to the #1 spot

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Makes me wonder if the Bills are really moving up to 1, and not 3, or 4... Maybe that was the plan all along... The Bills two firsts, plus next years first,  plus some lesser picks and we move in to the #1 spot

We move up to #1 and take Darnold before the Giants can.

Giants QB choice is gone at 2, they engage the Browns for a swap of 2 and 4 while picking up pick ~65

Browns take Allen at 2

Jets take Baker 3

Giants take Barkley 4

Broncos take Chubb or Nelson at 5

Colts take Chubb or Nelson at 6

Pats trade to #7 and take Rosen

I think the Bucs are more likely to be the 3rd party than the Browns. The Bucs have pick #7, pick #38, and then nothing until pick #102. Based on past trades I think it'd look something like this:

Bills trade 12, 56, & 96 to the Bucs for 7 (14% premium, a little above typical for a 5-10 pick)

Bills trade 7, 22, and a 2019 2nd for 2 (37% premium, a little under the Jets' premium, but above the typical premium from 2011-2017)

Bills would have picks 2, 53, 65, 121, 166, 187 (122.42, down from 167)

Giants would have 7, 22, 34, 66, 69, 108, 139, and our 2019 2nd (192.15, up from 157.85)

Bucs would have 12, 38, 56, 96, 102, 144, 180, 202, and 255 (122.25, up from 111.97)

• Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We move up to #1 and take Darnold before the Giants can.

Giants QB choice is gone at 2, they engage the Browns for a swap of 2 and 4 while picking up pick ~65

Browns take Allen at 2

Jets take Baker 3

Giants take Barkley 4

Broncos take Chubb or Nelson at 5

Colts take Chubb or Nelson at 6

Pats trade to #7 and take Rosen

#1 definitely seems more likely than it did a week ago.

57 minutes ago, theRalph said:

Some of us are waking at 3AM every day to see if the Bills have further traded up. That hasn't occurred as yet, but a 10-ton hint to this part of "the process" was dropped yesterday when reports surfaced that the Bills' top evaluators would travel to USC to work out Sam Darnold this Friday. When I heard this from Mike Schopp, I was compelled to call to say that the Bills must know they can get to #1 or #2, or why would you spend valuable pre-draft time vetting a QB you've no chance of drafting. Mike agreed, as did morning host Jeremy White this morning. Howard Simon questions, though, how can the Bills get to 1 or 2 from 12? Well, here's a bold prediction:

2. Browns trade the 4th pick to the Bills with a big price tag. We've all heard what that price might be (12, 22, 53, 65...hopefully not 2019 first rounder also).

3. Bill trade the Giants the 4th pick, plus their remaining 2nd round pick (56) for the #2 pick.

4. Giants either select Bradley Chubb with the fourth pick, or trade down a few slots with any QB hungry team, with the assurance that Chubb will be available at 5, 6, or 7...maybe further.

We'll see.

Good theory, actually, but I can't help but think that this board is collectively here at this point, but with Dave Gettleman subbed in for Obi Wan. Gettleman has never traded down in his life: Image result for help me obi wan gif

20 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I doubt this.  Why would the Browns want to entertain a trade to the #1 slot?  They're sitting pretty at 1 and 4.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I doubt this.  Why would the Browns want to entertain a trade to the #1 slot?  They're sitting pretty at 1 and 4.

True... However, to some people, -me for example. 4 and 12 AND 22 looks even prettier... What if the Browns dig Lamar Jackson more than they let on?

52 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not happening. Too many holes to fill to not keep at least a normal slate of picks. Darnold may be just due diligence or there is a possibility he could experience what some would consider a "fall" to make him attainable to us. You can bet your a** though that they will not ransom this whole draft to move up 10 slots.  

I originally thought we were thinking that way, but now I think Beane will do whatever it takes to get the QB they want now and then deal with filling the other holes over the next season or two. That may not be ideal for this seasons results, but it will hopefully pay off in the long run, especially if the Pats* start losing their stronghold on the division.

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

True... However, to some people, -me for example. 4 and 12 AND 22 looks even prettier... What if the Browns dig Lamar Jackson more than they let on?

That's a possibility, and if so, it would make sense for the Browns to trade out of #1.  I was under the assumption that they were after Darnold, but no one knows what anyone else is doing at this point.

1 hour ago, theRalph said:

We'll see.

I heard the guy..Howard and White are really getting bored..the non stop trivia questions.Pretty soon..Howard is going to bring in his cat and have him do his mock draft...I think his name is Crunchy?

16 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Or they covet 12 and 22 like has been rumored and the Bills have told them that's not going to be on the table for pick 4.  If the Giants are locked in on a non-QB, there's going to be 2 of the QBs on the board, if Denver doesn't go QB then it really shifts things in the Bills favor for a move up.  The Browns could be eyeing 12 to get one of the defensive players and using some of their (as some posters here would say) "way too many picks" to move back up from 22 and get their replacement for Joe Thomas.

If the Browns look at it and say "we are equally fine with Darnold and Allen, one of them is going to be there at 4, we can get a much bigger premium for pick 1" they could be swaying towards moving that pick.

I don't think the Giants are going to trade.  It's just not Gettleman's MO.  If the Darnold stuff is legit, it could be the case both the Giants and Bills covet Darnold above all else making a deal between them an essential no go, basically if Darnold is available, the pick isn't and if he's not the Bills feel comfortable they can get a guy they like between the 4-7 range.

I think it means next to nothing. Not being able to predict the future it makes sense to evaluate all the top QB's. Who knows, maybe Rosen will get arrested for DWI the day before the draft or Darnold will show up on Youtube punching a bouncer. Maybe Cleveland will be Cleveland and not take a QB at either 1 or 4. The Bills would look pretty silly given how badly they need a QB if they passed on a chance to further evaluate a key member of this QB class. And that is without even considering that they might make  such a trip and leak the information as part of an effort at misdirection. 

I don't get why so many Bills fans are so desperate to trade away so many picks for one of all these flawed QB's to get to #1 or #2.

Rosen might be the most polished at this point but then he isn't on the same level as Sam Bradford and yet due to his injury history will most likely have a similar career. 

Darnold has that loopy delivery that was Okay in college but will telegraph his throw at the NFL level. Not to mention with all his fumble problems he equates to Mr. Butt FumbleTwo. 20 INTs over the last 20 games! 

Allen needs time on the bench to develop and if given that time he could be the next Aaron Rodgers...or not.

Mayfield looks like the only QB that could be the real deal as the next Drew Brees.

Jackson already has the "yips" and he hasn't even played an NFL game.

None of these QB's grades like a Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck.

PFF has these QB's graded thus,

Mayfield

Darnold

Rosen

Rudolph

Jackson

Allen

I can see the Bills moving up from the #12 spot to get a QB. Perhaps to that #4 spot.

10 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I think it means next to nothing. Not being able to predict the future it makes sense to evaluate all the top QB's. Who knows, maybe Rosen will get arrested for DWI the day before the draft or Darnold will show up on Youtube punching a bouncer. Maybe Cleveland will be Cleveland and not take a QB at either 1 or 4. The Bills would look pretty silly given how badly they need a QB if they passed on a chance to further evaluate a key member of this QB class. And that is without even considering that they might make  such a trip and leak the information as part of an effort at misdirection. 

I think the people who are saying it means something are implying that if the Browns are sold on Darnold by this point they would be telling him to shut down visits and especially workouts for other teams.  If you are picking the guy you don't want him shredding his knee working out for the Jets or Bills.

Why is this so surprising? The Bills do not control their destiny here, so if Darnold drops for some reason do you really expect them to make the Pick without having met with him? Really? 

I’ll have about 20 Meetings this week for my job.  I can imagine that the Bills personnel staff can squeeze one in.

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

All the Darnold workout means at this point is due diligence and leaving no stone unturned.  It doesn't mean a deal is in place.

I don't think anyone is implying any sort of deal is in place.  But I don't think they'd be flying to LA if they knew there's no shot at him.