Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

your WGR "insiders" everybody

C6mYtKzVoAADGxL.jpg

Sal is at the stadium every day and even he doesn't know any more than we do.  The national guys are the ones that get the scoops and break the news

Any pics of them going through tables?

15 hours ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

They may have had conversations with Indy, they did not, however, have a deal in place.  Sucks, but true.

39 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You won't get a chance.

Advanced metrics show that Baker Mayfield is far ahead - like in a different leagues - than any other prospect in the NFL draft today. This information has been widely disseminated to the NFL GMs. All of the T-shirt workouts and scrimmage bull (Senior Bowl) have been a sham.

So what did the Browns do? They traded for a 6'1" QB. It was widely thought of as a waste of capital at the time. You have to know, when everyone talks about what a mistake you've made that often there is a plan behind what appears idiocy. A 6'1" wirey, mobile QB. And then they put some pieces into place around that QB, like a 100 catch WR that can move the chains and a capable running back.

They'll draft Mayfield because it will appease their fan base. The new QB will look in size amazingly like Tyrod Taylor and what's more, can sit behind him (LOL) for a year if need be. But more than that, it will drive the price of the Giants #2 pick into the stratosphere. It veritably puts the Buffalo Bills into a no-win situation. They will have to give up the farm to get Sam-Rosen or the Mafia will string them up.

And in the end, what does this do? It assures the Browns get the best overall player in the draft, at #4 - a player that will transform them like Ezekiel Elliot did, like LaDanian Tomlinson did. Saquon Barkley won't be asked to carry the offense with Hyde, Njoko, Gordon and Landry he could.

14 of the last 16 years the AFC has been represented by one of 3 QBs. Baker Mayfield is the next generation and the Browns have played this to a tee. Just like Russell Wilson, like Jared Goff, Mayfield will be supported by a great infrastructure. All along the Browns have been playing chess, while the rest of the league has been playing checkers. 

And the Bills will have been forced probably to take a disaster in Josh Rosen - it will create a nightmare scenario. A statuesque QB, prone to injury, behind a bad offensive line and a player prone to trying to be a hero. 

Just a considered opinion. 

Starting to agree with your opinion of Rosen.  I think he's a more injury-prone Jay Cutler with less arm talent.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

It is amazing to me how BLIND some of you want to be to what is happening here.  The COLTS took the Jets offer, not because Buffalo could pay MORE but because the Colts only had to move to 6.  There are some players way up there that INDY really likes that won't be there at 12.  The Colts get the extra picks in a deep draft, and still get at top 3 NON QB.  They didn't WANT the Bills package!  .....and the other thing that is funny is that everyone just assumes that the 2nd pick can be had if the Bills just meet the asking price.....there is no asking price to be met.....the Jets certainly called about it.  If the Giants were in this for a top 3 NON QB, they would have traded out already....They are taking the QB.  ....can't stress this enough....hardest thing to find is a high end, franchise type QB.  Your odds of getting one are much higher at the top end of a draft.  If you think you can get one, you get him.  The Giants have the 2nd pick in a year where there are some guys who many think could be that kind of guy.  If you are the Giants, you do not know where you will draft next year, and surely your scouting department has told you that the 2019 QB crop is garbage...even if ONE guy emerges...will you be in position to get him?  The most value the Giants can get from that pick is to use it this year while they are in position to get their next QB.  They even have the unusual luxury of drafting so high but still having a vet QB in place so the new guy can sit if they are so inclinded.  The Bills will either sit at 12 or trade up to 9 or so for Josh Allen, or gamble on waiting for Mason Rudolph...but that is a huge risk because Arizona, Pittsburg, and the LA Chargers are lurking...the Chargers are especially dangerous to move up on someone.  

Line breaks are your friend.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, aristocrat said:

outside of that? That’s one piece and I clearly stated they don’t have a plan. Plans involve more than one thing 

the jets are in a 100% better position than us tho

they have the #3 pick in the draft and we have no idea who our QB will be for the next 10-15 years, once again. 

10 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

the jets are in a 100% better position than us tho

they have the #3 pick in the draft and we have no idea who our QB will be for the next 10-15 years, once again. 

worst o line...check....backup rb as their starter....check. marginal wrs and no tight end...check. that rookie better be able to run

The Colts probably notified Beane that they got a better offer. They let them know what that offer was, and told them the point value of what it was, but not the exact details (as to hide the potential bidder's identity).

Beane then had to decide if it was a bluff, and if the Colts were just trying to milk them for more, or if this was true & he'd have to reevaluate his offer.

I doubt the Colts just phoned them and said "Hey, the Jets are offering us ________ ! What you got now?"

2 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You won't get a chance.

Advanced metrics show that Baker Mayfield is far ahead - like in a different leagues - than any other prospect in the NFL draft today. This information has been widely disseminated to the NFL GMs. All of the T-shirt workouts and scrimmage bull (Senior Bowl) have been a sham.

So what did the Browns do? They traded for a 6'1" QB. It was widely thought of as a waste of capital at the time. You have to know, when everyone talks about what a mistake you've made that often there is a plan behind what appears idiocy. A 6'1" wirey, mobile QB. And then they put some pieces into place around that QB, like a 100 catch WR that can move the chains and a capable running back.

They'll draft Mayfield because it will appease their fan base. The new QB will look in size amazingly like Tyrod Taylor and what's more, can sit behind him (LOL) for a year if need be. But more than that, it will drive the price of the Giants #2 pick into the stratosphere. It veritably puts the Buffalo Bills into a no-win situation. They will have to give up the farm to get Sam-Rosen or the Mafia will string them up.

And in the end, what does this do? It assures the Browns get the best overall player in the draft, at #4 - a player that will transform them like Ezekiel Elliot did, like LaDanian Tomlinson did. Saquon Barkley won't be asked to carry the offense with Hyde, Njoko, Gordon and Landry he could.

14 of the last 16 years the AFC has been represented by one of 3 QBs. Baker Mayfield is the next generation and the Browns have played this to a tee. Just like Russell Wilson, like Jared Goff, Mayfield will be supported by a great infrastructure. All along the Browns have been playing chess, while the rest of the league has been playing checkers. 

And the Bills will have been forced probably to take a disaster in Josh Rosen - it will create a nightmare scenario. A statuesque QB, prone to injury, behind a bad offensive line and a player prone to trying to be a hero. 

Just a considered opinion. 

Tyrod is everything okay in Cleveland? How's the food?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ALF said:

Giants fan forum poll

What should the Giants do with the #2 Pick in this year's Draft?

Trade down     39%

Draft Barkley  32%

Draft QB         26%

http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-york-giants-message-boards/giants-nfl-draft/3104099-what-should-the-giants-do-with-the-2-pick-in-this-year-s-draft

Interesting that drafting Barkley is favored as much as it is.  In the end it will not be up to the fans.

If I were betting on it, I'm guess we have the framework of a deal for #4 in place with Cleveland, so we know worst case we are likely getting one of Rosen / Allen / Baker, whoever is left, but we are waiting on the Giants to do their evaluation and get back to us on #2.  We've clearly talked to Cleveland this offseason with the Tyrod trade and supposedly about McCarron, so it seems there's a good working relationship there.  Clearly Beane and Gettleman have a relationship.  I think Cleveland would move out of #4, the guys running them have never ever valued RB that highly and they have Hyde / Duke.  

I think if the Giants pick comes open, we hold our nose and pay whatever they ask.  If they don't move out, we trade up to #4 and get the QB left, unless Jackson or Rudolph does something to make us believe we can play it out longer.

19 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

so Buffalo moved to 12 with the understanding from Indy that 12 was good enough with additional picks to get 3?  BecUse if that is true then Indy double crossed buffalo.

or did buffalo randomly pick 12 and just assumed 12 and extra picks would be good enough for Indy?  Because if true then Beane is naive and green.

also,

if Indy and buffalo had a deal...did Indy give buffalo an opportunity to up their offer?  Or give buffalo time to maybe get the #7,8,9 Pick and then trade?

Do you really think that the BIlls had a choice of whomever they wanted with whom to trade Cordy Glenn, and that they simply chose number 12??  A trade like that is NOT just sitting there with multiple buyers all lining up to exchange first round picks for the chance at signing a LT that has been available for only 50% of the games the past two seasons and is coming off of foot surgery.  That was nothing more than a bit of serendipity that the Bengals really needed a LT and were willing to roll the dice on Cordy for the exchange of two draft picks that added up to the right value for both teams.  The Bills wanted him off of their cap so they could move on other free agents.  The idea that they simply made that trade in response to discussions they had with the Colts is mind-boggling.  This isn't Madden you know.

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, horned dogs said:

Franchise QB taken in top 5 is much more likely to be good , plenty of evidence.

Is the player likely to be good because he's drafted in the top 5? Or is he drafted in the top 5 because those in the business think it likely that he's good? 

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe the Colts don't value "gentlemen's agreements" the way our FO does.  Rumor had it that the Giants were "desperate" to trade up for Mahomes, but we already had such an agreement in place with the Chiefs.  I think there's a lesson to be learned from this.

11 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Is the player likely to be good because he's drafted in the top 5? Or is he drafted in the top 5 because those in the business think it likely that he's good? 

Because those in the business think he's good and being a top 5 pick he probably will get more help and chance.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Maybe the Colts don't value "gentlemen's agreements" the way our FO does.  Rumor had it that the Giants were "desperate" to trade up for Mahomes, but we already had such an agreement in place with the Chiefs.  I think there's a lesson to be learned from this.

Which would be ironic after what happened with McDaniels.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Which would be ironic after what happened with McDaniels.

Indeed.  I think it was SI's Peter King who kept talking about how smart Colts GM Chris Ballard was to mend fences with the Patriots after Deflategate, which made it possible to lure McDaniels away.  So much for that.

7 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Because those in the business think he's good and being a top 5 pick he probably will get more help and chance.

Exactly my point. Being desperate and overdrafting a QB ( as is becoming more common) doesn't make a player any more likely to be good. EJ Manuel wasn't going to be a better QB if a team took him in the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like Bills trying to cover their ass with the fans in case they can't trade up. 

"Well we tried guys!"

No excuses. Do what is necessary Beane. 

The Jets had a worse season than we did and a much better ‘18 pick to offer.

What would you suggest Beane could have done about that?

17 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

Do you really think that the BIlls had a choice of whomever they wanted with whom to trade Cordy Glenn, and that they simply chose number 12??  A trade like that is NOT just sitting there with multiple buyers all lining up to exchange first round picks for the chance at signing a LT that has been available for only 50% of the games the past two seasons and is coming off of foot surgery.  That was nothing more than a bit of serendipity that the Bengals really needed a LT and were willing to roll the dice on Cordy for the exchange of two draft picks that added up to the right value for both teams.  The Bills wanted him off of their cap so they could move on other free agents.  The idea that they simply made that trade in response to discussions they had with the Colts is mind-boggling.  This isn't Madden you know.

So you are saying the Glenn Trade was made completely isolated from any plans towards my getting into the top 5.

dont beleive that for a second.

Let’s say that this did happen. The Jets did out bid the Bills for the #3 pick. Should Beane now evaluate his options? What about now trading back from 12 and getting another teams first for next year? 

I hope and think Beane will not talk himself into another QB that can be had later. For me it is get your guy or build with great pics. When I say get your guy I mean trade what is needed to move up and get him. If you can’t do that, explore a move back to get even more picks to build. I didn’t want to start a new thread with this because I think we have enough draft trade possibility ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Let’s say that this did happen. The Jets did out bid the Bills for the #3 pick. Should Beane now evaluate his options? What about now trading back from 12 and getting another teams first for next year? 

I hope and think Beane will not talk himself into another QB that can be had later. For me it is get your guy or build with great pics. When I say get your guy I mean trade what is needed to move up and get him. If you can’t do that, explore a move back to get even more picks to build. I didn’t want to start a new thread with this because I think we have enough draft trade possibility ones. 

First off, thank you for not starting a new thread. :thumbsup::lol:

I agree Beane needs to do what it takes to get THE guy. But I dont think we need to do any more trading down to accumulate more picks. We have 6 in the first 3 rounds. If we cant move up any farther, stay there and take your guys.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is correct.   

People need to keep the bigger picture in mind.    There are 32 teams.   Each one has needs, views about the players in the draft, cap situations, etc.   As someone said, the Bills didn't choose the Bengals out of 31 teams to trade Glenn to.  The Bengals happened to be the right combination - they had a need, they had an attractive pick, they were willing to deal.   

Similarly, the Jets didn't trade with the Colts to try to close out the Bills opportunities.   They looked at THEIR needs, THEIR assets and THEIR evaluation of the qbs in the draft and made a move.    

Also. I doubt the Colts broke a promise with the Bills.   The GMs all explain the same activity - they're talking with each other about what it would take to put together a deal, when they want to do it, etc.   If the Bills had an agreement with the Colts, it was that they both would agree to make that deal when both were ready to do it and if nothing better came along.   I'm sure when the Jets put together their offer, the Colts went back to the Bills and said "things have changed.  Can you do more?"   The Bills evaluated their situation and declined to do more.   Beane didn't get out maneuvered.   He just didn't want to spend more for the Colts' pick.

GMs are dealing with the hands they're dealt, and the hands change from day to day.   As soon as a possible Colts deal disappeared, Beane began to reevaluate.   He talked more, I'm sure, with the Browns and Giants to see what it would cost to get to 1 or 2, and he and his staff are evaluating whether any of the available rookies is worth what it will cost.   If Beane decides he isn't paying that price to move up, he'll be considering what other teams will be looking for to move up from 12.   If that all looks too pricey, he'll be looking at which QBs he thinks are worth it at 12 and 22.   Maybe he actually WILL thing about trading out of 12 to get another first round pick for 2019.   That would give him a year to evaluate McCarron.   It might be a smart move, because just about every team that really needs a QB will have gotten one this year and won't be competitors to trade up in 2019.    He's constantly looking, thinking, reevaluating.   Everything.

Every other GM is doing the same thing.   

And Beane is going to make mistakes.   He may make a mistake trading up.   He may make a mistake not trading up.   

I'm feeling good as a fan because I think he's smart, he works hard and he doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his judgment.   Yes, he can and will make mistakes, but I don't think he'll make many. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/24/2018 at 4:23 PM, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

You mean since Roger Goodell swooped in.

Your move Pegula. Build the stadium he and the other owners want so badly and this wont happen

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First off, thank you for not starting a new thread. :thumbsup::lol:

I agree Beane needs to do what it takes to get THE guy. But I dont think we need to do any more trading down to accumulate more picks. We have 6 in the first 3 rounds. If we cant move up any farther, stay there and take your guys.

I agree the Bills have enough picks to move up IF Beane can make a deal with another team that will get him the QB he believes is the guy. However if the Giants or Cleveland do not want to move back, what do you do? What if the QB(s) Beane likes are all gone by pick 6(random number)? The Saints are calling about moving up and will entertain giving up next year's number one because they want to draft a QB to develop for a year, what do you do? (This QB is not one that Beane thinks has franchise potential.)

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Buffalo86 said:

I never heard that (Giants - Mahomes).  Where did you read about that rumor?

On 3/24/2018 at 7:32 PM, aristocrat said:

outside of that? That’s one piece and I clearly stated they don’t have a plan. Plans involve more than one thing 

Not if they involve what they think is a franchise QB.  Without one of those, you go nowhere, which has been shown over and over.

So Beane just said he wasn’t surprised by the Jets trade. He also said he wouldn’t trade to say pick 7, because he might get “stuck there”. Lol... then he backtracked and tried to cover it by saying they might not trade up at all! They might even trade back! Right. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

So Beane just said he wasn’t surprised by the trade. He also said he wouldn’t trade to say pick 7, because he might get “stuck there”. Lol... then he backtracked and tried to cover it by saying they might not trade up at all! They might even trade back! Right. 

So, trade up to 7 then?

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So Beane just said he wasn’t surprised by the Jets trade. He also said he wouldn’t trade to say pick 7, because he might get “stuck there”. Lol... then he backtracked and tried to cover it by saying they might not trade up at all! They might even trade back! Right. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Ha. It seemed like a slip to me, watching his face and reaction. I came away thinking he’s aiming higher than that, 7 does him no good 

I know they put on this dog and pony show to try to misdirect other teams, but does it really matter?  31 NFL GM's KNOW Beane is trying to get into the top 4.  

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

I know they put on this dog and pony show to try to misdirect other teams, but does it really matter?  31 NFL GM's KNOW Beane is trying to get into the top 4.  

He also said that he would never tell another team who he was drafting when he is negotiating a trade up (team asked him 3 years ago when he was making calls for Carolina, he refused to tell them, they made the trade anyway) and said there is more of a trust and comfort level doing a trade with someone he has worked with before, like Gettleman 

• Like (+1) 1