Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

This is why if you have a deal you execute it;if you wait someone else can swoop in. If this is the case, epic fail on Beane's part...Epic fail on McD and the Pegs if they did allow him to pass QBs last year to kick the can to this year..imo

• Like (+1) 1

I just hope we get the right guy no matter where or what # pick in the draft it comes at...I have faith that a good coach, offensive coordinator and a quality QB with a slight chip on his shoulder wants to show that he was the best QB pick in draft! We are worried about draft position...Rosen might not be our answer...it might be Allen, Mayfield or possible Jackson...but our development of this young talent could be more important then the best " valued talent" in the draft...trust the process!

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Why would we not get a chance to up the ante. That makes no sense to cut off bidding. 

The 6th pick was an offer they didn't want to refuse. It's  a no risk move to drop back just 3 spots and grab 3 extra picks in the process. Also puts the Colts in a good spot to trade down again if a QB is there and a desperate team calls ( Bills?) Colts were probably fine with the Bills deal initially, but Jets made them a sweet deal they couldn't possibly pass up. If Ballard took the Bills offer, he sits at 12 and is out of the potentially lucrative trade down market. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bills4life1924 said:

Ur telling me, if ur Colts GM your gonna be that quick to trigger a trade in EARLY MARCH??? And not wait for other offers from teams in a QB rich draft with QB needy teams.. I'm not saying they would have gotten more than the jets offered, but the possibility of it is real. 

That package to move down three spots was silly. 

Their GM could have looked at the idea if moving down to only six and getting that package in return as way to good to pass up. Especially since they could then again move from six down acquiring even more capital.

I'm sure teams could have given competitive offers, but what they got from the Jets to only move down three slots... staying in this classes top ten is a major asset in that deal that you can't under value.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is why if you have a deal you execute it;if you wait someone else can swoop in. If this is the case, epic fail on Beane's part...Epic fail on McD and the Pegs if they did allow him to pass QBs last year to kick the can to this year..imo

Obviously if you are the team wanting to move up you execute it. So it's clear the Colts didn't want to. They held the cards as they own the goods. They didn't have anything to lose by waiting. Why wouldn't they try to field/ drum up other offers? They waited and got a sweetheart pacakage of picks for the 6 spot. That's better than anything the Bills could offer. There's practically no risk of not getting a player they want, and an opportunity to move down again if things get crazy with QBs. 12 is too far back to get in on that action. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

That package to move down three spots was silly. 

Their GM could have looked at the idea if moving down to only six and getting that package in return as way to good to pass up. Especially since they could then again move from six down acquiring even more capital.

I'm sure teams could have given competitive offers, but what they got from the Jets to only move down three slots... staying in this classes top ten is a major asset in that deal that you can't under value.

If only 2 QB's go in the first 3 picks it is going to be excruciating watching each teams "On the Clock" tick down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Everything is for sale. You just need to swallow your pride and give up enough. If you are telling me 12/22/next years 1st and a few 2nds couldn’t get up to 2? Then I’ll say fine. We tried. You can get there if you really want to. You also can probably get 6 from Indy now and then package something with 6 to get to 2. It’s possible, I just don’t think we have the balls to pull the trigger.

The player to give up THAT MUCH also needs to be worth it.  Some of you act like there is only one QB in this draft and its impossible to find a QB any other way besides giving up the next 2 drafts to get one.  

I would absolutely PUKE if we gave up that much to get to #3.  Can anyone really say that of the top 5 QBs, where AT LEAST one of them will be there at 12 if not 2 of them...that any of them is worth that much more than the others?  I mean unless a team absolutely thinks ONE QB is the ONLY legit franchise prospect, that price is insane.  

Some of you just want us to "spend" for the sake of spending to make you feel better about the prospect.  Its quite possible the Bills see more than one QB worthy of a trade up or high pick in this draft and can still get one of them at 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, or even staying at 12 where we did NOT need to give up so much. 

Many see Baker as the best QB in this draft, and most likely wont go top 5.  Some see Lamar as #2 or #3 on their boards, he may be there at 12.  We dont know who the Bills covet, and is that guy worth all those picks more than any other guy they could take?  I doubt it, the top 5 are closely grouped this year.

27 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yup.  This why I am not sure if i buy it.  If the Bills got the Colts to say yes, they should have been the ones to make the trade call to the league IMMEDIATELY.  You do not give the other team a chance to back out or go searching for other offers.  The second the Colts say yes, you tell them thank you and that you will make the trade call.  The trade gets done.

If for some reason the Bills had a trade agreed on and then sat on their hands for whatever reason, then Beane is an embarrassment as a GM.  That is an epic failure on his part if this is true.  Hard to believe Beane would be this incompetent, but if he was, that is just awful.

But, this is why I would take this "report" with a grain of salt.  Why would 2 team sources let this out of the room?  It only makes themselves and the organization look like fools.  There is no positives to telling people this happened.

13 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I find it a little hard to believe Nate Geary is breaking a relatively big story that no one else is reporting. Sounds like fake news to me. 

It's not anything fans couldn't surmise on their own. There were reports of Bills/ Colts talk for pick 3 a week before. Nothing was announced, then the Glenn trade and the move to 12. The Bills setting up for a big move was the worst kept secret in the NFL. The Jets knew what was brewing and the Colts had no reason to pull the trigger too soon. Then the Colts / Jets trade was announced. Anyone following had to figure the Bills offer was trumped by the Jets having the #6 pick to give. 

2 hours ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

Based on draft chart....12+22+cleveland 3rd=3OA.  Buffali probably also added one of their 2nds.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

This week beginning with the Jets trade has not been a great week for the Bills.

Horrible.  Gaines signs a 1 year 4 million deal with the Browns.  That's it?  Zay Jones tries to jump out a building bloody and naked.  Our WR depth chart is worse than Alabama's.  We may start the season with Mason Rudolph and Peterson fighting for the back up spot.

Incognito took a pay cut though.  So, there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, djp14150 said:

Based on draft chart....12+22+cleveland 3rd=3OA.  Buffali probably also added one of their 2nds.

Probably. But #6 was just too good to turn down. Some say Beane could just throw in another pick, but the Jets could do the same. Both teams chances of having a high pick are pretty good. So 6 beats 12 every time. 

57 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Dan Marino might disagree with that scenario.

I really think people need to stop using Dan Marino and Tom Brady as examples. These are outliers and one in a million. Using them as examples to back up a point of view doesn’t really say anything. It happened, but that doesn’t make it probable. It’s once in a lifetime stuff. Should the Bills sign the guy bagging my groceries because Kurt Warner? It makes no sense. 

Im not trying to be a jerk, but this drives me crazy.

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 hours ago, Deep2Moulds46 said:

Nate Geary said today in WGR two team sources have told him the bills had a deal in place with the colts to get to 3 and the Jets deal with them really hurt.

He also said that's why they traded Tyrod. Not sure if he meant because they knew they were getting to 3 or if the 3rd round pick from Cleveland was a part of the trade package 

I think Beane tried to get too cute with the compensation and got burned.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Horrible.  Gaines signs a 1 year 4 million deal with the Browns.  That's it?  Zay Jones tries to jump out a building bloody and naked.  Our WR depth chart is worse than Alabama's.  We may start the season with Mason Rudolph and Peterson fighting for the back up spot.

Incognito took a pay cut though.  So, there's that.

Gaines was gone as soon as they signed Davis. They had a figure thatvhed likely get on the market and thought they could do better. Spotrac had him valued at $9m per , so he wasn't as highly sought after as he thought he'd be. He wasn't going to tuck his tail between his legs and crawl back to the Bills. They're not exactly the Patriots just yet. 

Just now, BeefCurtns said:

I think Beane tried to get too cute with the compensation and got burned.

Cute? He likely made the Colts a solid offer which they used against the Jets . Their GM knew he had no choice but to ante up. He's got one foot out the door and is fired if he doesn't get a QB. He had the 6th pick and the Bills best was #12. This isn't that complicated. 

IMO the Bills are certainly behind the eight ball. By trading Taylor, everyone knows they are desperate to move up to get a top tier QB. They had tons of opportunities to sign a quality FA QB and didn’t do anything other than sign an unproven backup. Now they are desperate and every GM knows it. It will cost them a fortune to move up now as if your the opposing GM you hold all the cards. Plus with all the draft capital built, if I’m the opposing GM, you ask for the world. Will be interesting to see what they do. If anything I would try to get a trade with Cleveland at four. Then work a deal for the Giants to draft Rosen or Allen, then Buffalo can draft who the Giants want at four. Then work out a trade to swap picks. Maybe less costly.

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Gaines was gone as soon as they signed Davis. They had a figure thatvhed likely get on the market and thought they could do better. Spotrac had him valued at $9m per , so he wasn't as highly sought after as he thought he'd be. He wasn't going to tuck his tail between his legs and crawl back to the Bills. They're not exactly the Patriots just yet. 

Cute? He likely made the Colts a solid offer which they used against the Jets . Their GM knew he had no choice but to ante up. He's got one foot out the door and is fired if he doesn't get a QB. He had the 6th pick and the Bills best was #12. This isn't that complicated. 

Can't ever prove that he got burned but it is my opinion he tried to hard to GM the crap out of the deal and got burned.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

so Buffalo moved to 12 with the understanding from Indy that 12 was good enough with additional picks to get 3?  BecUse if that is true then Indy double crossed buffalo.

or did buffalo randomly pick 12 and just assumed 12 and extra picks would be good enough for Indy?  Because if true then Beane is naive and green.

also,

if Indy and buffalo had a deal...did Indy give buffalo an opportunity to up their offer?  Or give buffalo time to maybe get the #7,8,9 Pick and then trade?

jets way overpaid for that move up.   No way Beane was giving up that much.   take the browns #4 spot for much cheaper and still get a great qb prospect 

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

IMO the Bills are certainly behind the eight ball. By trading Taylor, everyone knows they are desperate to move up to get a top tier QB. They had tons of opportunities to sign a quality FA QB and didn’t do anything other than sign an unproven backup. Now they are desperate and every GM knows it. It will cost them a fortune to move up now as if your the opposing GM you hold all the cards. Plus with all the draft capital built, if I’m the opposing GM, you ask for the world. Will be interesting to see what they do. If anything I would try to get a trade with Cleveland at four. Then work a deal for the Giants to draft Rosen or Allen, then Buffalo can draft who the Giants want at four. Then work out a trade to swap picks. Maybe less costly.

They've been behind the 8 ball the whole time. They don't have a premium pick. Which " quality" QB did you want them to sign? Let's first realize that Cousins and even Keenum were not signing in Buffalo. Bradford? They had some interest, but would you do a one year $20 mil deal for him? He s rarely made it through an entire NFL season. So that leaves such stellar players as Mike Glennon, Osweiler, Matt Moore. I'd take a hard pass and at least go with a guy who hasn't proven that he sucks yet. The teams at the top were already asking a fortune to move up. It's not all that different now. 

2 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Can't ever prove that he got burned but it is my opinion he tried to hard to GM the crap out of the deal and got burned.

That's a strange stance for a GM with zero leverage ( and a good supply of picks) to take, so I'm not sure why you'd make that assumption. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Just pointing out, that ANY draft pick is POTENTIAL. Thee are no absolutes in life, or the NFL. Ken O'Brien was picked before Marino in the first round. See how this works???

I know I hear you. It is possible. It is just unlikely is all I'm saying. I'm not banking on those odds. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

They did not have a deal in place if it was able to be beat by the Jets.

Could explain the actions on FA QBs, Bills opened FA thinking they had a trade done with Colts, Colts informed them Friday it changed, Bills signed McCarron Friday afternoon, Colts-Jets trade broke Saturday morning.

Guess they deserved what McDaniels did to them.

I'm not sure which 21 year old QB is the can't miss, sure fire hall of famer everyone wants.... Oh yeah, everyone wants someone different. I can't wait til a move is made so 80% of you can piss and moan over who was picked and call Beane an idiot for picking him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I sincerely doubt that the Colts didn't give Beane a chance to beat the Jets' offer. If the Jets beat the Bills to the 3 spot, it's because Beane chose not to agree to whatever it was going to take to beat the Jets' offer.

Exactly. That would of been lazy on the Colts part not to at least check back in with Buffalo and see if they can get even more out of them. If the price was right, Colts would of f most likely let go of that 3rd pick regardless of dropping out of the top 10.

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

So now let’s learn from it and sit on our hands instead of moving to 2. When another team beats us to that punch and we end up with another JP Losman....we can feel good knowing we had a “deal in place” there too (probably). Stop dicking around, move up before it’s to late and take a QB. Enough next years

What you are suggesting is exactly what happened with the JP pick.  Let's not grab a QB just to please a portion of the fan base.

15 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

I'm not sure which 21 year old QB is the can't miss, sure fire hall of famer everyone wants.... Oh yeah, everyone wants someone different. I can't wait til a move is made so 80% of you can piss and moan over who was picked and call Beane an idiot for picking him. 

I really just want them to trade up and take a swing to get the guy they want.