Ron Jaworski: Air Yards Per Attempt Decreasing Each Year Since 2011

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

IMO it's because offensive linemen can't practice during the offseason because of ridiculous collective bargaining rules.  Pass pro sucks now, and QBs are too valuable of assets to risk severe injury in a seven-step drop offense.

Unless you're Norv Turner :D

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Ergo the premium value of Josh Rosen...

Games get won between the ears now. I know it's old hat to bang on about Tom Brady and all but his pre-snap reads and knowing when to "unintentionally ground" the ball at his WR's feet is a fine art.

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t surprising. Teams are using these quick passes as a substitute for the run game. It’s a good trend.

It's the pro game influenced by the college spread passing game. This type of passing game favors a qb such as Mayfield, and to a lesser extent Rudolph, who are both familiar with it because of their college exposure. 

I know you are not a Rudolph fan as much as I am but I can see the Bills standing pat if they can't work out a reasonable deal to move up. Their fall back position could be to select a qb such as Rudolph with our second first round pick. He falls within Beane's profile of a qb who has the required physical attributes and he can make plays in the pocket. If you get a chance watch the game between Oklahoma and OKState. Mayfield and Rudolph went toe to toe although Mayfield was the better finisher at the end of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

So Tyrod became a started in the league in 2015 8.17 down to 8.07 

Coincidence? I think not....

Counting QBs that started at least half the season, Tyrod ranked:

2016: 3rd

2017: 11th

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

A whopping decrease of .44 yards per throw over the course of 7 years.  I don't think this proves anything.

That is statistically significant though. If you look at 2016:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/

Tyrod was 16th in air yards per attempt. If you add .44 AYPA he would be ranked 10th. If you take away .44 AYPA he would be ranked last among starting QBs. So the league-wide decrease has changed the baseline average by a significant amount.

You can't look at it as "only" 0.44 yards. At the pro level granular changes have very large in-game effects.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Very interesting trend here.

I think there’s a lot more that needs to come into play here for a real discussion. We are talking a decrease of less than 16 inches and starting at 2012 is like a 9 inch gap. 

Obviously methodology needs explanation... but also things like how the spread on distance actually breaks down by ranges before making assessments.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That is statistically significant though. If you look at 2016:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/

Tyrod was 16th in air yards per attempt. If you add .44 AYPA he would be ranked 10th. If you take away .44 AYPA he would be ranked last among starting QBs. So the league-wide decrease has changed the baseline average by a significant amount.

You can't look at it as "only" 0.44 yards. At the pro level granular changes have very large in-game effects.

Agreed but at, say, 35-ish passes a game... where those 15 air yards went can be as subtle as 1 screen pass instead of a throw at the in the mid range for instance. Or using the one year shorter window it’s like 9 yards a game different in the air. Which effects outcomes but is it a drastic change in the structure of Nfl offenses? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

By posting these numbers, I think what you're saying is that we need to finally sit down and have a real discussion about the merits of drafting or not drafting Mason Rudolph. 

kinda what i was thinking. i keep hearing that his strengths are the short to intermediate throws. i guess it comes down to exactly how strong these strengths are, and how limiting are the weaknesses. 

3 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

kinda what i was thinking. i keep hearing that his strengths are the short to intermediate throws. i guess it comes down to exactly how strong these strengths are, and how limiting are the weaknesses. 

Short to intermediate throws are not his demonstrated strength. 

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Unless you're Norv Turner :D

Games get won between the ears now. I know it's old hat to bang on about Tom Brady and all but his pre-snap reads and knowing when to "unintentionally ground" the ball at his WR's feet is a fine art.

Games have always been won between the ears. I could argue moreso in past eras when QBs called their own plays. 

45 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well there’s a news flash.  

The QB position has been getting poorer and poorer because of the way colleges play.   

So I say. 

Thanks captain 

image.png.ac14a85e0394d126b8d7c15b39318cd1.png

This kindof goes with my line of thinking.  The "franchise QB" thing is a dieing breed.  All of the real ones are well north of 30 like Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Ryan, Rivers (if he even is one with all the losing), Eli, Flaco, ...

Under the age of 30 there are only 3.  Luck (if his health holds out), Cam Newton, and Russell Wilson.   All three of these are 29 and will be north of 30 this year.

I like you think the style of college football now, spread offenses with QBs throwing to wide open WRs doesn't translate well to NFL.

Where are the new ones going to come from if any do?

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Short to intermediate throws are not his demonstrated strength. 

i thought i read that in one of the mason rudolph posts. or one of the other qb posts. i have no idea which one. i could very well be wrong. i rely completely on second hand information as i don't watch college football. this is why i get talked into and out of several different QBs during the offseason. i know you do not care for rudolph, is there any redeaming quality to this guy?