Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even if the Jets did try to trade with the Giants (I don’t think they did), they do not have the same draft capital as the Bills. They may have only been open to parting with those 2nd rounders. Giants may have told them it starts with 2 1sts and goes from there, even if only to 6. Because they know they will get 12 and 22 plus more from the Bills. And IF the giants were willing to talk to the Jets about a trade they very likely would squeeze them extra tight with the intra-market rivalry and microscope. 

True. I guess it all boils down to how much the Giants feel they need a QB.  They are sitting pretty, if they want one.

Meanwhile, this is pretty impressive. I caught it perfect where the top 7 threads were ALL Manson Rudolph a minute ago, but sadly my screen shot is too large a file to post and I can't figure out how to condense it. No pic takes away the point.. but it was a thing of beauty 

5 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

So after all this trading and moving players you are ok with this team once again using a backup QB from another team as it's starting QB. To wish for that one miracle, yippy

I didn't say we should stop trying to get one of the top guys but if the Giants and Browns do not want to move down then the top 4 guys are probably gone at pick 5. I'm not sure there is another QB worthy of a first rounder. I just happen to think that McCarron is going to do well with Daboll as OC.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do not think the Browns are moving. I do think the Bills are determining market for the #1 now that the cost for #3 is locked in, to re-set on their offer for the #2 pick. 

Its the same thing they did in FA with the QBs. Beane straight up said that they made calls about QBs as due diligence on market with no intent on signing them. 

This needs to be stickied in every draft and free agent thread until the end of time!

“I know everybody assumes we’re going higher, but I don’t know that. But there are some players at 12 that I know would not have fallen to 21, so I’m excited about that. We’re in the range for some of these guys and that’s not necessarily quarterback.”

With this statement, Beane is trying to send a message to GM’s across the league that the Bills are not desperate to trade up. He then goes out of his way to point out that it might not necessarily be a quarterback who the Bills value which also helps in trade negotiations as teams know they can charge more if you are trading up for what you believe is a franchise quarterback.

I don’t think that he’s being completely truthful about it not necessarily being a quarterback, but where I do see some truth is that Beane assigns strict values to things and that he will not pay more than he has deemed appropriate even if that means missing out on a quarterback that he likes.

“We got him [McCarron] and Nathan right now on the roster and those guys will compete. We’ll see what else happens between now and the first game.”

There was no reason for Beane to add the second sentence above. The message this sends to me is that he expects change between now and the first game. To prove this, it’s not like you hear him talking about what he is looking to do at left guard between now and the first game after the signing of Richie Incognito but he did mention it in regards to AJ McCarron.

Beane also sent a message to the agents of any players the Bills are still negotiating with in free agency that if they are looking for top dollar, Buffalo is not the place for them. Beane said:

“We’re very low on money. We can do some lower-level things but nothing that’s going to hit the ticker.”

Buffalo Bills: Subtle clues from Brandon Beane’s press conference

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I just hope next years 1st isn't part of the equation. 12, 22, 53 and next years first is just too much IMO.

When was the last time 3 first round picks were part of a draft day trade up? Too lazy to look it up right now:D

RG III ??

3 1st if you include the pick exchanged in the draft of Griffin. PS: they did this trade before draft day so not fitting your question.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/washington-redskins-trade-for-st-louis-rams-nfl-draft-pick-robert-griffin-iii-washington-bound-030912

Edited by cba fan

I imagine everyone is calling everyone about everything right now. 

if they trade to #1 the kid better be a hall of famer and have a 0.45 second release.

we will be starting 4th rounders to UDFAs at RT and WR. 

And he will be starting after AJ McCarron is moved to IR. 

What week will they play the chargers?? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills keep 56 and 96 along with next year’s 1. They will get their QB and maybe 2 other starters out of this class. 

It will be a bust if they do this. Bills need a lot more out of the draft.

7 hours ago, Nanker said:

Trade up to #1 and then pick a Cornerback.

Very Billsy move! :P

No a Nanker move of the worst kind.

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There would be a riot in Cleveland.

Riots are overrated.  The should shoot the rioters multiple times to ensure they do not riot again.

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Having lots of picks in a deep and talented draft?

I’d have to disagree.

From what I have read, this is not a particularly deep and talented draft.  It actually makes sense to pay a premium for the most important position in sports, though I would not want to trade the 2019 1st because that will be a talented draft, especially at DL.

7 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

That 12 pick could be moved up if Browns trade with Indy. 

Indy who traded their early first round pick?

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

not my business really and no real baring but you seem to be going right back down that negative trail. why presume the worst before anything even happens? are you going to be just as repetitive and negative with the "back up" rambling all the way up until draft day?

I know it was supposed to be rhetorical but the answer is an enthusiastic YES!

6 hours ago, Radar said:

I think our team has more holes in it apparently than many of our posters. 

I think you had unestimated the damage posting on Bills board does to posters.

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If all my math is correct, The Jets gave up 725.88 in picks this year, plus whatever you value their 2nd at next year. Say you value it as the 6th pick of the 3rd round (1 round lower than this year for it being a year out), it's worth 69.82. 

That would be 795.7 draft points given up for a pick worth 514.33. So they overpaid by 281.37. 

For the Bills to match that offer, they'd have to give up 998 draft points for the #2 pick (which is valued at 717.17)

The "new math' formula rule was cited when Texans signed Denver QB to a 4 year deal.  How did the grade on the new math work?

I am assuming the Jets front office was just dumb.

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Easy to just say that but they still have a season to play this year. This is still a business and theres fans and players o  the team who actually want to build off last year and get better. Not take a year off and wait til next year.

Some cannot resist tanking.

5 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

They just got that stop gap QB who they are at least talking like they (at least in pressers) dont feel is a stop gap, while that may be a smokescreen, i think it at least allows them to find a developmental QB and not a surefire day 1 starter. They are perfect to draft a guy like Allen or Jackson and develop him.

It would be a better play if they had an offense staff who had experience developing QBs.

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This possibility was a big part of the reason the Colts chose to move to 6. They don't have tons of cap space and need players. The haul from the Jets was solid, and the potential to acquire even more picks from a team like BUF made the #6 spot a great move. 

The Jest trade may end up being one of the worst trades in NFL history.

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would being raised Jewish then be a plus in the New York Market?

Very. I went to UB and a good portion of the dorms were filled with NYC students getting as far as they could from parents but still have their parents pay in state tuition.  Their were donations to research for "non practicing" professors with Jewish background just because they were Jewish while other professors got nothing.  A few professors got smart and let one just handle the money raising and events while others worked research even though all got credit.  One of working professors (I was a TA) said "raising money is part of research".

5 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It very well might be, but it wouldn't be the first time an exec has sacrificed what's best long term for a franchise over trying to ensure himself another paycheck.

As long as they judge them on narrow results (stats) rather what they actually accomplished based on what was available they should. 

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It should be a plus in every market!  Haven't you ever had kugel and potato latkes?  My mother was Jewish, and that woman made potato latkes and kugel that could end wars.

Yeah one of the students from NYC would get care packages from mom in school and that dish made him some best friends from middle east there although he never told his parents that since they were very big bigots. 

I get it -- People think the Bills are snoozing, but all of these top QB prospects have questions that concern me. Darnold -- Turnovers, Mayfield -- Arm strength, Rosen -- Deep throws, Allen -- Completion %. Beane can get an awful lot of talent and still get Mike White on day 2. Then, if McCarron busts, we'll be in good shape for the 2019 draft. 

I'm not saying none of these top 4 prospects will make it, but the last time we got desparate, we ended up drafting EJ Manual in the 1st round. Maybe this will all work out. Maybe not. As Marv Levy said, the draft is a crapshoot.

Edited by GreggTX

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I get the sense that the Bills are snoozing, but all of these top QB prospects have questions that concern me. Darnold -- Turnovers, Mayfield -- Arm strength, Rosen -- Deep throws, Allen -- Completion %. Beane can get an awful lot of talent and still get Mike White on day 2. Then, if McCarron busts, we'll be in good shape for the 2019 draft. 

I'm not saying none of these top 4 prospects will make it, but the last time we got desparate, we ended up drafting EJ Manual in the 1st round. Maybe this will all work out. Maybe not. As Marv Levy said, the draft is a crapshoot.

They may be doing alot of things, snoozing ain't one of them. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Again, we trade our starting QB, then jump up to 12th overall. Teams know Buffalos' intentions by now.

Hence why the Colts got the return they did from the Jets. Jets felt the heat from Buffalo moving up and thought they needed to strike asap.

I just do not agree with this analysis, and have seen it from a number of posters, as well as callers into GR. 

There are other reasons that can logically explain those two moves (or others that they have made before them) other than that they are hell-bent for leather to get to the top of the draft for a quarterback.  They were ready to move on from Tyrod and had a looming $6 million dollar bonus, in addition to the cap savings from having him removed from the roster.  They had free agents they wanted to sign and needed the cap space.  Cleveland stepping up gave Tyrod a nice landing spot and we got a killer draft asset. 

As for Cordy, same thing.  They were not interested in keeping a guy on the roster with his cap hit who was barely available for 50% of the past two seasons, expecially with Dawkins clearly demonstrating that he could handle the position for far less money.  That the Bengals were there with a need and willingness to swap first round picks was a godsend, not some part of a series of pre-planned chess moves masterminded for the one singular end purpose of drafting a QB in the top 1-5 picks.  They were instead an aggregate set of moves that served a number of purposes, only ONE of which was to improve their flexibility to improve the team in the draft.  And while that no doubt included the QB position, it was certainly NOT to do so, ab initio, to the exclusion of the rest of the team.

Every one of the moves they have made since the draft last year was with the idea of increasing their draft capital yes, but also to rid themselves of players that were not part of their current plans, thereby increasing cap space and changing the culture, as well as improving their overall draft assets.  Until the season ended, they had no idea where they (or the Chiefs) would end up.  Beane stated that before the combine, they were blowing off spending time with guys they KNEW they had no shot at getting sitting at 21 and 22, and those included impact players not QBs.  So he unlikely did NOT know, at least to a certainty, that he was going to make those two deals for Tyrod or Cordy. 

This idea that the Bills were making all of these moves for only one reason, to get to the top of the draft for a top-rated QB prospect, presumes that there is some guy that they believe is worth all of that draft capital, and that they are going to chase that guy and pay whatever it takes to get him.  This is not only assuming facts not in evidence, it is NOT the way these guys operate.  Beane made it clear that they place values on players, and they trust those valuations and will abide by them.  He said that he asks his guys to point out if he himself appears to be chasing a guy, and he said he will do the same with them. 

I think he is making it clear that they are NOT going to do what the Jets just did, which was to trade away assets and overpay just to "get one of those three top-rated guys, no matter which one..." These guys are going to place their values on each of those guys, and if it is going to cost them any more than a modest premium over their assigned value, they ain't going to do it.  Period.

This perception that they wouldn't have made the moves they have made unless they were going to get up to the top 5 come hell-or-high-water reads waaay more into it than is there.  It certainly is possible that they covet one or two of them, but I also trust that they are not going to do whatever it takes to get them if the cost significantly exceeds their assigned value.  I think it more likely that they do their due diligence, and then let the draft evolve, being prepared for several contingency plans.  If they can get a guy they like without majorly exceeding their assigned value, they will.  Otherwise, I think they will wait to see who drops out of the top 5 and if a guy they also like at the reduced cost is there, they will go that route.  But I trust that they will not stray from the values they have assigned and will not chase a guy just because everyone thinks they are going to, or that they should. 

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

They may be doing alot of things, snoozing ain't one of them. 

I get the sense that Beane isn't going to let anyone get the better of him and he'd like to keep that 22nd pick and still have a couple picks on day 2 rather than going all in on 1 guy like the Skins did for RG3. A move like that would set us back years -- giving up so many high picks and getting RG4 (or EJ2.0) in return.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Very. I went to UB and a good portion of the dorms were filled with NYC students getting as far as they could from parents but still have their parents pay in state tuition.  Their were donations to research for "non practicing" professors with Jewish background just because they were Jewish while other professors got nothing.  A few professors got smart and let one just handle the money raising and events while others worked research even though all got credit.  One of working professors (I was a TA) said "raising money is part of research".

As long as they judge them on narrow results (stats) rather what they actually accomplished based on what was available they should. 

Yeah one of the students from NYC would get care packages from mom in school and that dish made him some best friends from middle east there although he never told his parents that since they were very big bigots. 

Kugel--ending wars...I like it

56 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The "new math' formula rule was cited when Texans signed Denver QB to a 4 year deal.  How did the grade on the new math work?

I am assuming the Jets front office was just dumb.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here? Maybe it's just going over my head. 

I was talking about my own math in adding up the draft value points of the draft picks given up in that trade up (according to what each draft pick is worth on the draft value chart). There were a lot of decimal points and I did it quickly so I wasn't sure if all my math was exact. 

35 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here? Maybe it's just going over my head. 

I was talking about my own math in adding up the draft value points of the draft picks given up in that trade up (according to what each draft pick is worth on the draft value chart). There were a lot of decimal points and I did it quickly so I wasn't sure if all my math was exact. 

Not on that. When Houston signed Denver's QB posters said the old value chart was thrown away.  Again posters are saying that rather than just stating the JESTS made a bad trade.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not on that. When Houston signed Denver's QB posters said the old value chart was thrown away.  Again posters are saying that rather than just stating the JESTS made a bad trade.

Are you talking about when the Texans signed Osweiller? 

If so he was a free agent. What value chart are you referring to? 

I guess I am not seeing how a team signing a free agent has anything to do with a trade up in the draft and the Jimmy Johnson draft pick value chart I was referring to. 

All I was doing was looking at the trade up that just happened and adding up the draft points given up (based on the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart that assigns points to each draft pick). 

I was saying the Jets paid too much and IF the Giants now think that trade set the market value for a trade up this year, it'll be tough to match. I have no idea if that is the case or not though. Hopefully the Giants would be willing to accept something a bit more reasonable. 

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I get it -- People think the Bills are snoozing, but all of these top QB prospects have questions that concern me. Darnold -- Turnovers, Mayfield -- Arm strength, Rosen -- Deep throws, Allen -- Completion %. Beane can get an awful lot of talent and still get Mike White on day 2. Then, if McCarron busts, we'll be in good shape for the 2019 draft. 

Thats the problem, none of the top guys are hands down generational franchise QBs like Luck, or Manning(s). Its more likely they are the next Winston, Marriotta Caliber. Good but not great QBs and not worth a boatload of picks to get. Because people are desperate to grab the next Brady they think that its all about just giving up picks and getting that guy, then you become an automatic contender. Just ask the Colts, Lions, and Chargers how thats working out for them....... 

14 hours ago, BuffaloBob said:

I just do not agree with this analysis, and have seen it from a number of posters, as well as callers into GR. 

There are other reasons that can logically explain those two moves (or others that they have made before them) other than that they are hell-bent for leather to get to the top of the draft for a quarterback.  They were ready to move on from Tyrod and had a looming $6 million dollar bonus, in addition to the cap savings from having him removed from the roster.  They had free agents they wanted to sign and needed the cap space.  Cleveland stepping up gave Tyrod a nice landing spot and we got a killer draft asset. 

As for Cordy, same thing.  They were not interested in keeping a guy on the roster with his cap hit who was barely available for 50% of the past two seasons, expecially with Dawkins clearly demonstrating that he could handle the position for far less money.  That the Bengals were there with a need and willingness to swap first round picks was a godsend, not some part of a series of pre-planned chess moves masterminded for the one singular end purpose of drafting a QB in the top 1-5 picks.  They were instead an aggregate set of moves that served a number of purposes, only ONE of which was to improve their flexibility to improve the team in the draft.  And while that no doubt included the QB position, it was certainly NOT to do so, ab initio, to the exclusion of the rest of the team.

Every one of the moves they have made since the draft last year was with the idea of increasing their draft capital yes, but also to rid themselves of players that were not part of their current plans, thereby increasing cap space and changing the culture, as well as improving their overall draft assets.  Until the season ended, they had no idea where they (or the Chiefs) would end up.  Beane stated that before the combine, they were blowing off spending time with guys they KNEW they had no shot at getting sitting at 21 and 22, and those included impact players not QBs.  So he unlikely did NOT know, at least to a certainty, that he was going to make those two deals for Tyrod or Cordy. 

This idea that the Bills were making all of these moves for only one reason, to get to the top of the draft for a top-rated QB prospect, presumes that there is some guy that they believe is worth all of that draft capital, and that they are going to chase that guy and pay whatever it takes to get him.  This is not only assuming facts not in evidence, it is NOT the way these guys operate.  Beane made it clear that they place values on players, and they trust those valuations and will abide by them.  He said that he asks his guys to point out if he himself appears to be chasing a guy, and he said he will do the same with them. 

I think he is making it clear that they are NOT going to do what the Jets just did, which was to trade away assets and overpay just to "get one of those three top-rated guys, no matter which one..." These guys are going to place their values on each of those guys, and if it is going to cost them any more than a modest premium over their assigned value, they ain't going to do it.  Period.

This perception that they wouldn't have made the moves they have made unless they were going to get up to the top 5 come hell-or-high-water reads waaay more into it than is there.  It certainly is possible that they covet one or two of them, but I also trust that they are not going to do whatever it takes to get them if the cost significantly exceeds their assigned value.  I think it more likely that they do their due diligence, and then let the draft evolve, being prepared for several contingency plans.  If they can get a guy they like without majorly exceeding their assigned value, they will.  Otherwise, I think they will wait to see who drops out of the top 5 and if a guy they also like at the reduced cost is there, they will go that route.  But I trust that they will not stray from the values they have assigned and will not chase a guy just because everyone thinks they are going to, or that they should. 

Never said these moves were made to get into the top ten come hell or high water.

And it's terrific you laid out the added bonuses of moving the players, but if you genuinely think all these moves had the QB position as an afterthought...

The second they restructured Tyrod last year you knew McDermott was not sold on him as the future, was willing to give him tight leashed audition. Hence the benching of Tyrod mid playoff race.

Everything you laid out is what makes the move up for a QB that much more impressive, what Beane was able to accomplish while in the thick of trading up for a QB.

The Bills have heavily scouted at least 10 QBs out of this class, ironically they never went to see Josh Allen live during the season. Only signed McCaron and have Peterman as a back up.

As far as paying whay the Jets did, the Bills literally have a draft and a half worth of picks, McDermott has made it clear they need a franchise QB. They could over pay and still have a quality amount of picks this year and next. 

I'm glad your boots are dug in that he won't overpay, and that McDermott/Beane have made all these moves to go bargain shopping at the QB position. Nothing gives your scouts and organization more confidence than pinpointing a franchise QB or at the least two of them, to be like nahhhhh well just wait to see who falls.

Edited by BillsFan17