Dan Patrick: Bills have called Browns about #1 pick

I do not think the Browns are moving. I do think the Bills are determining market for the #1 now that the cost for #3 is locked in, to re-set on their offer for the #2 pick. 

Its the same thing they did in FA with the QBs. Beane straight up said that they made calls about QBs as due diligence on market with no intent on signing them. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

It's all part of the game right now. It's fun for us message board weirdo's and nothing else. 

Considering the short tenure/small body of work Bean has, I'm trusting his judgement more and more every day. Make the call and get some  of the other teams paranoid. Why not?

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Have to call and ask. Doesn't mean anything.

I agree, this just adds to the talk about Bills wanting to move up, pillow talk. They said they were calling teams about everyone and everything just to have knowledge on it. I would be very surprised if they moved up to 1 but would be extremely happy if they did considering we never are aggessive to get a top QB. It would be a dam miracle IMO.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do not think the Browns are moving. I do think the Bills are determining market for the #1 now that the cost for #3 is locked in, to re-set on their offer for the #2 pick. 

Its the same thing they did in FA with the QBs. Beane straight up said that they made calls about QBs as due diligence on market with no intent on signing them. 

It makes sense.

If the Browns actually are open to business and want less than the Giants, it makes no sense to trade with the Giants.  I highly doubt the Browns and Giants are collaborating on prices of 1 vs 2.

I wish Sachi were running their draft, then all we'd have to give is #12 / 2019 1st / 5th round pick and Sachi would happily take Mason Rudolph at #12.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Just now, xRUSHx said:

I agree, this just adds to the talk about Bills wanting to move up, pillow talk. They said they were calling teams about everyone and everything just to have knowledge on it. I would be very surprised if they moved up to 1 but would be extremely happy if they did considering we never are aggessive to get a top QB. It would be a dam miracle IMO.

We have the assets. Get it done. They dumped cap, and we can fill holes in free agency next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also, if Browns have all 4 QBs rated equally and they can get an RG3 type haul for 1, maybe it makes sense. 2 1st round picks for the next 3 years could appeal to Dorsey to start his GM tenure and he still gets 1 of the QBs at 4.

This assumes that they have 4 QBs rated equally.

I think at the very least the Browns would let us know what QB they would select if they stay there. If they are not picking our guy, Beane will trade up to number 2 and the Browns will get Barkley at 4. It is in the Browns best interest to have us trade up to number 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We have the assets. Get it done. They dumped cap, and we can fill holes in free agency next year. 

I agree man, just do it. They never just do it, get it done and make it happen for once. Go get Rosen.

I am going to throw up in my mouth if they end up with big projects in Allen/Jackson after all this hard work they did setting us up for a QB pick.

Edited by xRUSHx

This just in, Beane has also called about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th picks too. If he knows what 1 costs and now he knows how much 3 was worth, he knows what 2 should cost, etc etc. 

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

It makes sense.

If the Browns actually are open to business and want less than the Giants, it makes no sense to trade with the Giants.  I highly doubt the Browns and Giants are collaborating on prices of 1 vs 2.

I wish Sachi were running their draft, then all we'd have to give is #12 / 2019 1st / 5th round pick and Sachi would happily take Mason Rudolph at #12.

Just a gut feeling, but it’s possible that Gettleman asked for less or the same for #2 to 12 than the Colts did for 3 to 12, which is why Beane didn’t do the deal for 3. Now that the deal for 3 is done, it’s back to the negotiation table for Beane and Gettleman. 

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s where I am at. I was positive that the Bills were going up. I am not positive now but think that it is probably still likely. They will ask on 1 & 2. I suspect that the Bills are trying to get up without using the 2019 1st. Something like this: 12, 22, 53, 65 and a 2019 4th (we have 2 of those). That would be a nice return for the Giants. The Giants would have 12, 22, 34, 53, 65, 66, 102, 135, 139, 176 (plus the pick next year). That would give them crazy flexibility too. They can move all over the board if there are guys that they like.

The Bills keep 56 and 96 along with next year’s 1. They will get their QB and maybe 2 other starters out of this class. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BrooklynBills said:

Also, if Browns have all 4 QBs rated equally and they can get an RG3 type haul for 1, maybe it makes sense. 2 1st round picks for the next 3 years could appeal to Dorsey to start his GM tenure and he still gets 1 of the QBs at 4.

This assumes that they have 4 QBs rated equally.

The Browns already have too many picks this year, they are probably going to have to cut some of their draft picks. Unless they want to add like a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd next year I don't see them making a trade in the top 4. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Sad part about this is it seems pick 2 is not available. 

It very well could be available to anyone but the Jets. Tbh the Jets may not have even talked to the giants. The two teams have never traded with each other in their history. The NYG have zero interest in acting as a conduit to the Jets obtaining their franchise QB. The Bills are fortunate that the giants are the ones at 2. I think the Jets went up as far as *they* could go.

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just a gut feeling, but it’s possible that Gettleman asked for less or the same for #2 to 12 than the Colts did for 3 to 12, which is why Beane didn’t do the deal for 3. Now that the deal for 3 is done, it’s back to the negotiation table for Beane and Gettleman. 

If Beane was talking to all 3 trying to work the best deal, the Colts just taking the Jets offer (which suggests we weren't giving that value, or they just valued staying at 6, which we couldn't offer) could have completely reset the talks for both 1 & 2 (or 4).

It'll be interesting what point value the Giants want for 2.  The Jets really have nothing left to give now except next years 1st rounder.  Even if Jets give up this years and next years 3rd rounders, that barely gets you to 2600 points.  Bills have more draft capital than Jets and more flexibility in how to get there for a team like Giants with a lot of needs.  12, 22, 53, and 65 - that's 4 starters for the Giants.  Edwards/Smith/Vea at 12, Guice/Michel at 22, and then 2 more starters with our picks and 2 more with their high 2nd and 3rd rounders.  

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I agree man, just do it. They never just do it, get it done and make it happen for once.

I just watched them trade 2 top 5 picks, Watkins and Dareus, and let another top 10 pick, Gilmore, walk in free agency. I don't need to see them draft more players that will just leave in 4-5 years. 

What are we really doing here if we're afraid to use those picks to draft a franchise QB? We are never bad enough to get a top QB. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s where I am at. I was positive that the Bills were going up. I am not positive now but think that it is probably still likely. They will ask on 1 & 2. I suspect that the Bills are trying to get up without using the 2019 1st. Something like this: 12, 22, 53, 65 and a 2019 4th (we have 2 of those). That would be a nice return for the Giants. The Giants would have 12, 22, 34, 53, 65, 66, 102, 135, 139, 176 (plus the pick next year). That would give them crazy flexibility too. They can move all over the board if there are guys that they like.

The Bills keep 56 and 96 along with next year’s 1. They will get their QB and maybe 2 other starters out of this class. 

That would be a bad trade for the Giants. The cost will be at least four picks in the first 2 rounds.

Edited by CuddyDark

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's entirely possible.

Remember that Buffalo gave up more to trade up for JP Losman in 2004 than the Giants gave to get Eli Manning that same year.  Not all draft day moves ascribe to the same value system.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it'll end up being something along those lines.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would wonder more if they didn't call.  Gauge how interested Browns might be to move out of # 1 pick.  I believe Browns will keep that pick, which, worst case scenario, one QB is gone.  Do Bills value one above all others, (Darnold, my guess) and if so, do they value the second QB on their list worthy of moving up to two, if available.  Sounds to me though, Bills are not looking to just get one of the top 4 QBs.  They have one they really want and the only way to assure you get that one is to have the # 1 pick.  Of course all this could just be another smokescreen.

• Like (+1) 1