Are you a Bills optimist or pessimist?

You are a Bills pessimist if you believe Brandon Beane knows pick 1 and 2 are not in play and simply got beat to the punch by the Jets.  He was too smart for himself, moving around making moves and in good ole Bills style was too cheap to counter or just plain got schooled.

You are a Bills optimist if you believe this was all part of Brandon Beane's plan and he is a master of puppets.  He saw this coming.  And whatever he is planning to do is not disrupted by the Jet's (or anyone else) trading up.  Either he knows what it takes to get to 1 or 2 and he will get us there or he never planned to get there.

SO WHICH ARE YOU???

Note: This post is operating under the assumption the Bills plan is to draft a QB and doesn't consider the prospects of McCarron or Peterman...please don't drag us down that rabbit hole...

In the middle.

Optimistic that I believe he was concerned that if he jumped to #3 , it left room for the bills to be jumped over, and was going to wait until draft night to pull the trigger.

Pessimistic that I can't bring myself to believe that it's all in his plan to be sitting where we are now.

The Browns aren't trading #1, so why not have #2 secured by now?

I'm sure he'd love to but just hasn't gotten it done, maybe no fault of his own, if nobody was willing to trade.

I usually never say this as I’ve never had faith in any Bills management in the past, but I got faith in Beane for whatever his plan is.

He is a smart guy and I really believe he knows what he’s doing

Edited by billsfan11

I want to be an optimist. I need to be an optimist.  I have to believe that things are different now.  That Beane is different.

In reality, the Bills probably weren't willing to pay the price it costs for a franchise QB and will instead pick players that we wont even remember in 10 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHogan said:

I want to be an optimist. I need to be an optimist.  I have to believe that things are different now.  That Beane is different.

In reality, the Bills probably weren't willing to pay the price it costs for a franchise QB and will instead pick players that we wont even remember in 10 years. 

I'm starting to slide toward this mentality as well. I want to believe. But decades of experience are hard to overcome.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I usually never say this as I’ve never had faith in any Bills management in the past, but I got faith in Beane for whatever his plan is.

He is a smart guy and I really believe he knows what he’s doing

I think he's smart enough to hopefully have a backup plan, or think on his feet and adjust if the plans don't work out.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Optimist. He won't sacrifice his draft board to reach for a QB.

I hope you are right.  We can get a qb at 12 if they want one, I feel like I'm one of the few that don't want to waste a bunch of picks to move up a few spots for a qb, we could put those picks to good work on thos tea m without blowing a bunch of them

I'm an optimist.  Beane and McDermott have a plan which they are in process of implementing.  I don't think they'll overspend for any position and will get the most out of a player; if not, the player is gone.  Last season appears to support this view.

I am a Bill's Optimist, but don't really align with either of your descriptions above.

I don't believe Beane was beat to the punch - I believe he wasn't willing to pay as much as the Jets. The price to trade up to #3 has proven to be very steep and Beane elected to hold his draft picks over moving up.  Unfortunately, I believe the Giants are holding #2 to take a QB as well and there may be no opportunity to pick ahead of the Jets.

I don't believe Beane is a master of puppets.  The other GM's are simply behaving in the best interest of their teams.  The actions of the Jets are not part of Beane's plan.  No matter how talented I think that Beane is, he can't control or manipulate other teams into doing what they do.  The Colts are playing this the smart way trading back to #6 and could very likely trade back again, which creates an opportunity for another QB-needy team to move up ahead of the Bills.

I'm an optimist because I think Beane has shown himself to be a very capable GM and I trust that trend will continue.  While he can't control the actions of the competing GM's, he can make the best move possible for Buffalo given the assets that he has.  He's done a good job of salvaging an ugly cap situation to make it very healthy for 2019.  He's done a good job of converting Taylor and Glenn into better draft equity, while creating cap space at the same time.  I trust that Beane will place a value on each of the QB's available and will move up if justified, but may sit at #12 and take the BPA if the cost to move up outweighs the value.  A week ago, I was convinced that the Bills were moving up to the top 5 to get a QB.  Now, with so many desperate teams potentially doing the same, this may not be the smart move anymore.  It won't make sense to sacrifice multiple picks for a QB who isn't significantly better than AJ McCarron.

This is setting up to be an exciting draft year.  I read in the thread about the Colts trading back, that the top 70 picks have starter grades.  With 5 picks in the top seventy, we will improve our team sitting where we are.  Just five more weeks of unbridled speculation until draft day!!

FP

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

In the middle.

Optimistic that I believe he was concerned that if he jumped to #3 , it left room for the bills to be jumped over, and was going to wait until draft night to pull the trigger.

Pessimistic that I can't bring myself to believe that it's all in his plan to be sitting where we are now.

The Browns aren't trading #1, so why not have #2 secured by now?

I'm sure he'd love to but just hasn't gotten it done, maybe no fault of his own, if nobody was willing to trade.

I agree I'm a neutralist especial at this time of year. I just wait and see what happens because I don't have any control on any of it anyways.

Edited by The Monk
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm a realist.

We know he was in talks with the Colts but the Jets were able to pull the deal off.

Maybe he didn't want to give up the farm. Realizing he may get what he wants if he stays put.

We won't know until the draft but we are not in a bad situation as long as he drafts good people.

We have the picks if done correctly we can build a powerhouse.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHogan said:

Please consider that these quarterbacks aren't being described by many as sure bet franchise quarterbacks. Also until now the cost of trading up wasn't actually known and now that it is Do you really think one of these guys is worth gambling your draft board on and if you're wrong setting the team back years possibly?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

If you missed out on the Jim Kelly years, what is your most treasured memory of Bills accomplishment on the field?

Beating the patriots a few times and Fred Jackson being Fred Jackson.

EDIT:  Kyle being Kyle.  Andy Dalton making me cry.

i didn’t miss the Jim Kelly years.... these are just the best moments since the JK years 

Edited by NewEra

54 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

We have any?

I wonder what is clinged to by fans who came along after Kelly.

\

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Beating the patriots a few times and Fred Jackson being Fred Jackson.

Good answer.

I try to be a realist and look at each situation through an analytical lens. I try to remove emotions when discussing the Bills. If it is good I will call it good and if it’s bad I will call it bad. Again, those are my opinions. Obviously, I want nothing more than success for the team. 

I have a level level of trust for this regime. They are patient and calculating in their approach. I don’t agree with every decision (which is the case with every regime) but in general think that the Bills are heading in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This.... and then Andy Dalton's pass.  

I think I mentally separated the past from last year.  Crying with fellow brethren after that pass was the best for sure,  not even close

Edited by NewEra

Optimist. In the past, your average Bills fan off the couch could draft players better than our GMs ever could, but now we finally have a real owner, a real GM and a real HC that are among the finest in the league. No offense to Ralph Wilson, but he had more of a business mentality, while Terry has more of a do whatever it takes to win mindset. I'm confident in Terry Pegula, he's loyal to Buffalo and he wants to win, I'm eternally optimistic in our future.

Optimist but also a realist.

For example, when Rex was hired. I did not like the hire, but tried to spin it in my own mind how things could work out.  Defensive minded coach handed the keys to a top 4 defense, what could go wrong? My friend does not let me live this down every opportunity he gets. 

Well, Rex did the unthinkable, he took a Ferrari and put a Prius engine in it.  

I have optimism that he understands patience and is letting everyone else show their hand early so he knows where he sits. He already showed patience in getting McCarron and letting everyone else overpay for mediocre talent. I think he is waiting until right before the draft and is gonna move into #1 or #2 and give us Bills fans what we all have been waiting for. McCarron was brought in as a veteran and a backup plan or a placeholder to compete with the rookie in camp. I have faith in this front office for the first time in a while they have shown to be more adaptive and forward thinking than their predecessors. 

Let's say the following happens.

The team with the first pick is pretty sure going to take a QB.

Dumb-fool Team A gives away all of the first 3 rounds picks to move up to the #2 pick to get a QB

Dumb-fool Team B gives away all of the first 3 rounds picks AND next year's #1 to move up to the #4 pick to get a QB

Dumb-fool Team C gives away all of the first 3 rounds picks and next year's 1st and 2nd round to move up to the #5 pick to get a QB

Many of the posters on this site panic and demand that the Bills HAVE TO trade all 6 early picks and some from next year to be able to slide into the #3 slot.

All of these teams will have one great player, who is a shell-shocked rookie QB who get sacked 6 times a game.  The teams that collected all these drat picks will be fighting it out in the playoffs for the next 7 years.

where do you want to be?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan