3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

As it stands, right now, to win in 2018 and quite possibly beyond, the Bills biggest need is not QB.

Yes it is, I dont have to read anything past that point. It is our biggest need now, just as it has been our biggest need for the past 20 years. Or have you been in a coma?

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

Here’s the other thing to consider, Buffalo is essentially done in FA, that means all these “holes” need to be filled via the Draft. That means they need all these picks....just food for thought.

Plugging the QB hole makes every other hole on the roster a lot smaller.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, the skycap said:

According to most posters favorite ex-GM, he's the 2nd best prospect in the draft. First being Saquan Barkley.

I realize. 

Not at 2nd. A RB taken #1 overall? Feh, yeah, I suppose possibly. A GUARD at #2, on that team? It just cannot happen. Especially since there is not that much difference between him and Hernandez or several other offensive interior lineman. It's just stupid to the first order.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Here’s the other thing to consider, Buffalo is essentially done in FA, that means all these “holes” need to be filled via the Draft. That means they need all these picks....just food for thought.

All the holes are not getting filled period.  There will be holes going into the season.  Some of the holes will get filled with lower end FA's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes it is, I dont have to read anything past that point. It is our biggest need now, just as it has been our biggest need for the past 20 years. Or have you been in a coma?

Plugging the QB hole makes every other hole on the roster a lot smaller.

If it's the biggest need FOR RIGHT NOW then the rookie should start day one, without exception. 

I don't see it. And making challenging, stupid comments like "or have you been in a coma" makes you a fool, especially in light of the way I couched my statement.

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Ben was a much better prospect than Allen.  But I will be very disappointed if we grab Allen because he has a "big arm."   This is like grabbing a WR just because he has a fast 40 time, IMO.  

They have the assets to get to #2........so unless they think there is only one future franchise QB this year then there would be no excuse not to get one.

The outlook for the 2019 crop of QB's is as underwhelming as any in recent memory.   Nice crop of pass rushers........would be a better time to fill that want.

So if they don't get a QB this year that probably means kicking that can off to 2020.........which is a bad time-frame for Beane and McD.  

Very important to note.......McD already pushed addressing that QB decision off one year.......pushing it off 4 years probably won't work, IMO.   

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, SoFFacet said:

Because he's not on the Bills' board and they hate him. OR because he's #1 on the Bills' board and they don't want to give that impression. OR because he knows other teams are parsing his every word because they think he might speak 100% truthfully to the media for some reason even when he has no incentive to do so, and he knows that if he doesn't mention Jackson, another team will interpret that to mean he loves Jackson, and may therefore try to trade ahead of Buffalo to get him, but little do they know that this is all a ploy to get someone to waste a pick on Jackson, because they have no intention to draft him anyway!

So yeah, back to reality. Read nothing into his comments. 

So which one is our GM?

https://youtu.be/3EkBuKQEkio?t=129

Edited by dulles

5 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If it's the biggest need FOR RIGHT NOW then the rookie should start day one, without exception. 

I don't see it. And making challenging, stupid comments like "or have you been in a coma" makes you a fool, especially in light of the way I couched my statement.

Given the (eventual) success of rookie starters like Luck, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Watson... yeah, our rookie probably should start. Or at least there shouldnt be a problem with him starting. Rookies start right away nowadays.

Welcome back to the land of the living.

Just now, What a Tuel said:

anyone have a working link to the press conference? Can't find it anywhere and the WIVB link isn't working. I feel like you are all conspiring to hide the announcement that we moved up to #1 overall from me.

It was streaming live on WGR.com, but is over now.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they don't get a top QB prospect in this draft..........after passing on Watson and Mahomes..........things could turn very sour in the next 9 months..

You don't pass on a potential franchise QB over an extra second round pick.     They overpaid to get Lotuelelei they'd better do what it takes to get their QB.    

I think they are smart enough to understand that but we'll know soon enough.

The think I like about this organization NOW is that they seem to embrace their process; they won't give two goddamns what you think or Dr.Dawkenstein or anyone else. They started a 5th round pick in the middle of playoff push. 

They could give a **** about "the next 9 months" and how you feel.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Not at all.  All I'm saying is stick to the board. Don't chase a QB you don't have highly ranked because you "need a QB."   They go after Rosen or Mayfield I'll be happy.  

That's the strategy that's landed them in QB purgatory and left them with picking EJ Manuel in a horrible  QB year.   

If they truly believe that the top 4 guys are franchise QBs, then they absolutely need to do whatever it takes to move up.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Beane Presser Takeaways (please feel free to add more as I know I missed some)

--Wished Tyrod well and said he'll be rooting for him except when he's playing Buffalo

--Thanked all of his Scouts and Staff for their preparation on Free Agency

--Admitted that the salary cap will not support any further large Free Agent signings, you may see small depth signings.  "Nothing to make the ticker"

--Believes in building strong, attacking Defensive Line and protecting Offensive Line (Explaining the DT and DE signings).  Aligns with McDermott on this.

--Eric Wood remains in same status.  Has become a back burner issue with Free Agency and Draft prep.

--Emphatically stated that he hasn't completed his prep of potential draftees.  His sole focus now is draft preparation.  

--Skirted the trade up questions with the statement above on not being able to reach a decision yet as the draft preparation is not complete.

--Alluded to the notion that they could in fact stay at 12 and get a very good player.

--Talked openly of his philosophy of not chasing players, about setting value as in floor and ceiling, and not going outside of that value.

--Sees McCarron as having an opportunity to compete for starting position.  Called several coaches, including Marvin Lewis, before making his decision.

--Stated that they are using a very methodical approach to decision making.

--Stated that he's never comfortable with a roster (Answer to "are you comfortable with your wide receivers" question)

--Happy to get Richie Incognito restructured.  Coming off Pro Bowl year.  Important to do.  Not much detail on the restructure.

Again, feel free to add for those that couldn't listen.

This guy seems to be very good though this upcoming draft will make or break him.  If he lands “the” QB and some additional quality depth in the draft he will become the best GM in Buffalo other than Polian.  String together some very competitive teams and he will move past Polian.  It’s fun to watch this unfold.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

The think I like about this organization NOW is that they seem to embrace their process; they won't give two goddamns what you think or Dr.Dawkenstein or anyone else. They started a 5th round pick in the middle of playoff push. 

They could give a **** about "the next 9 months" and how you feel.

Next 9 months will show whether the top QBs in this draft are franchise worthy.  If they don't pick one, coupled with passing on Mahomes & Watson, then the McBeane tenure won't be long at OBD (just like everyone else in the last 2 decades)

Of course, I doubt that happens because everything that Beane has done since coming here points to upgrading the QB position

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

yeah, ok Beane

I don't think he'd lying at this point in time. He has been focused on FA and has repeatedly stated he's not drafting a QB without getting to know them first. It's a convenient for him to say this now because it's currently true. Once they have private workouts with all the QBs they are interested in, he will know what they are doing.  

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

So we are about done in free agency - I was hoping for the money badger...oh well

Done signing other team's free agents. He did say we have offers out to Preston and EJ. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This guy seems to be very good though this upcoming draft will make or break him.  If he lands “the” QB and some additional quality depth in the draft he will become the best GM in Buffalo other than Polian.  String together some very competitive teams and he will move past Polian.  It’s fun to watch this unfold.

...this actual his FIRST Buffalo draft, so "first and only" is a bit over the top IMO,,,,,,,

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For what it's worth, I gave @BADOLBILZ a ton for flack during and after the 2016 draft because he was saying he would rather take a chance on Paxton Lynch over drafting Shaq Lawson.

And as it's played out, even though Lynch hasnt become a starter, Lawson hasnt been that great either. In hindsight, taking a flyer on the most important position would probably have been a better choice there. Or at least equivalent.

Same deal here in 2018. The Bills biggest need is STILL QB. That should be the main focus until we get one.

Two recent happenings have made taking first round chances on QB even more of wise choice than when I started pounding the table here over a decade ago:

1) The 4 year first round contract...........since the drought began 1st round contracts went from 6yr to 5yr and now 4 with an option......an option that often amounts to the gravity using a tag........a hard trigger to pull on many players........like or even better than Shaq.........who the Bills will have to decide in the next 12 months if they want to pick up ALREADY........and he hasn't peed a drop.:lol:

2) Teams much more effectively using free agency and trades to match their systems to proven pro talent.    The Eagles and Pats were absolutely loaded with players that they had evaluated on the pro level and acquired.    Guys like Hyde and Poyer are prime examples.   Their prior teams really just served to develop them for Buffalo.  The Skin's got one good season out of spending a second round pick on Trent Murphy..........the Bills think they will get 3.    FA still has it's pitfalls but it's not nearly the crapshoot it was years ago.    You can really make a huge difference at reasonable rates in FA now.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

That's the strategy that's landed them in QB purgatory and left them with picking EJ Manuel in a horrible  QB year.   

If they truly believe that the top 4 guys are franchise QBs, then they absolutely need to do whatever it takes to move up.

I don't know a whole lot personally about these prospects other than from media reports. They can create a franchise player once it has time to snowball in the fan base. So, I hope the scouts of the team know and don't react to the buildup that could be over done. Every draft we have guys drop down that were reported to be great.  So if we give up all these assets to get a guy I'm trusting the guys in the front office and not a mock draft or Mel Kiper guys who get paid to draw listeners.

25 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Every NFL team has holes on their roster. The league is set up that way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

yeah, ok Beane

It's GM-speak, but they really dont know what they will be doing. I'm sure they know what they'd LIKE to do. But there are too many outside variables to talk about it now.

I dont expect any more movement in our draft position until the day of the draft, AFTER Cleveland makes the 1st pick. Whether they go QB or Barkley, will determine whether we move up to 2, or move up to 3, or whatever.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

As it stands, right now, to win in 2018 and quite possibly beyond, the Bills biggest need is not QB. You had a bad, really bad offensive line that was covered by a mobile QB last year. You could at least make do with McCarron. 

You cannot make due with what amounts to essentially a back up G, RT, and C. You cannot. I agree with you - the franchise QB isn't on this roster. But QB is not the biggest need, not by a distance in 2018.

You take the QB when you get the shot.   That was Buddy Nix mistake.......trying to build around the QB first.......better off keeping them on the bench for a year or two if you are worried about the "other" personnel.

You can buy OL with your enormous cap room in 2019 and 2020.......they aren't in great supply but far easier to acquire than a high quality QB prospect.

This really is a special year for QB in the draft...........maybe the first three off the board won't be HOF'ers like 2004.........but it's rare to get 5 who have #1 overall potential in a given year........and this group does.

On the plus side..........I really like the HS class entering college.:devil:     2020 should have a couple nice prospects and 2021 could have 3-4.     Might be a while before we see 5 at this level again though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Didn't Lamar Jackson say that the first team he met at combine was the Bills?? I wonder why Beane didn't mention him?

It's reverse psychology. You don't mention a guy, people then assume that is your guy because you didn't mention the guy, and the truth is you didn't mention him because he's REALLY not your guy. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's GM-speak, but they really dont know what they will be doing. I'm sure they know what they'd LIKE to do. But there are too many outside variables to talk about it now.

I dont expect any more movement in our draft position until the day of the draft, AFTER Cleveland makes the 1st pick. Whether they go QB or Barkley, will determine whether we move up to 2, or move up to 3, or whatever.

Not buying this.  Beane said he already knows there were guys who weren't gonna be available at 21, so that's why they traded up to 12.  You need to have a good idea what you're doing in the draft before you go after free agents, especially at QB.  Do they need to meet all the QB's families and go on a few dates first?  Beane probably has 95% of the info he needs to make his QB selection right now.  

40 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

As it stands, right now, to win in 2018 and quite possibly beyond, the Bills biggest need is not QB. You had a bad, really bad offensive line that was covered by a mobile QB last year. You could at least make do with McCarron. 

You cannot make due with what amounts to essentially a back up G, RT, and C. You cannot. I agree with you - the franchise QB isn't on this roster. But QB is not the biggest need, not by a distance in 2018.

The biggest need on the Bills is QB, and it's not even close. They do not have a proven starter at the most important position in professional sports. The guy they signed is fine as a bridge/backup player, but he's actually a lesser player than the guy they traded. They will move up for the qb they want. 

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I wonder if the bolded statement might be true.  

I think some of us are expecting Beane to trade up higher before the draft.  

He might actually be waiting for draft day to see how the first picks go before deciding whether or not he needs to trade up to get his man.

How could he know now. He has to find one of three teams(I assume) willing to trade down for what the Bills are willing to give. That I believe is yet to be determined so Bean' s responses were what I would expect. Fans that expect him to say "yeah,   we're trading up" well that's never going to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't think he'd lying at this point in time. He has been focused on FA and has repeatedly stated he's not drafting a QB without getting to know them first. It's a convenient for him to say this now because it's currently true. Once they have private workouts with all the QBs they are interested in, he will know what they are doing.  

Done signing other team's free agents. He did say we have offers out to Preston and EJ. 

That we do. 

In regards to the QBs; I am sure they have some general idea as to who they like and who they don't. Looking at the medicals between now and the draft obviously have to be done so they can either say yeah we are concerned about Rosen's concussions and/or shoulder or not (Using this as an example btw) and either keep them on the board or take them off/move them down accordingly. Also they still must have them in for an official visit, which is is way more important than the pro day. They can get the QBs up to the whiteboard to have them draw out plays and explain all responsibilities that they ran in college, in addition to having our offensive staff draw up plays and explain the responsibilities and see if he can redraw the play and explain the responsibilities back to test their memory and such. All we have is game tape, which is extremely important, but only one part of the puzzle. As much as I want us to trade up now; I believe that may not happen until 4 weeks from now or so...here comes a ton of speculation and a long ass wait...

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not buying this.  Beane said he already knows there were guys who weren't gonna be available at 21, so that's why they traded up to 12.  You need to have a good idea what you're doing in the draft before you go after free agents, especially at QB.  Do they need to meet all the QB's families and go on a few dates first?  Beane probably has 95% of the info he needs to make his QB selection right now.  

Like I said, he knows what they WANT to do, but he's not going to show that hand now, and most of what will actually happen wont be determined until during the draft. Of course he has the info to know who he wants. Whether or not the Giants want to trade out, or whether or not the Colts want to trade out, will not be decided until they see who Cleveland takes at #1. I;m sure he also has an idea of what he wants to do in each possible scenario. But the exact details of what WILL happen are all up in the air. This is not like Tennessee in 2016 sitting at #2 who already has their QB and no other prospect there, and was willing to trade out with the Eagles early.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think he def. has a good idea, but still doesnt know. Meaning he doesnt know EXACTLY what they want to do...like the other poster said, too many variables at this point. 

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I wonder if the bolded statement might be true.  

I think some of us are expecting Beane to trade up higher before the draft.  

He might actually be waiting for draft day to see how the first picks go before deciding whether or not he needs to trade up to get his man.

I would say 1-2 weeks before at the earliest....I also believe he has his trade ups scenarios all set with NYG, INDY and possibly CLE. It depends on how the official visits and medicals go honestly....

Why would Giants trade out of #2 right now, not knowing what Cleveland will do at #1.

If Cleveland takes QB, Giants stay put and draft Barkley, so we're on the phone with Colts.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, Giants look to move, and we're on the phone with them.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, and Giants surprise everyone and takes a QB, then we're on the phone with the Colts.

That wont be determined until about 8:15pm on April 26th.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Like I said, he knows what they WANT to do, but he's not going to show that hand now, and most of what will actually happen wont be determined until during the draft. Of course he has the info to know who he wants. Whether or not the Giants want to trade out, or whether or not the Colts want to trade out, will not be decided until they see who Cleveland takes at #1. I;m sure he also has an idea of what he wants to do in each possible scenario. But the exact details of what WILL happen are all up in the air. This is not like Tennessee in 2016 sitting at #2 who already has their QB and no other prospect there, and was willing to trade out with the Eagles early.

Right.

The only trade ups that make sense now are #2 if they have 2 guys they love and are okay with, or #3 if they have 3 guys they love and are okay with.

Other than that, nothing what would make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Why would Giants trade out of #2 right now, not knowing what Cleveland will do at #1.

If Cleveland takes QB, Giants stay put and draft Barkley, so we're on the phone with Colts.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, Giants look to move, and we're on the phone with them.

That wont be determined until about 8:15pm on April 26th.

Agreed about the Giants.  Can't see them trading out of 2 before Cleveland picks.  Indy is a different story.  That's why I think Beane gets to 3 and then has deal in place with Giants if Barkley is gone.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I really hope you're right!

But let's give him a chance to run his first draft before anointing him.  

Some are getting ready to tar and feather him going by a few comments here.  Making the playoffs last year was nice but improbable  all things considered so it may be a year or so before we go deep into the playoffs.  Further, let him get his guys regardless of the position in the draft.  I'm not going to let a draft that does not go my way ruin my spring and summer so I don't understand why with some people that things will get ugly.  What are they going to do that matters?  

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Didn't Lamar Jackson say that the first team he met at combine was the Bills?? I wonder why Beane didn't mention him?

Meeting with the Bills doesn't necessarily mean meeting with the Beane

Are there any QB prospects in the 2019 draft that are worth holding out on? What if they trade back out of 12 to say Arizona and grab their first this year and next? They may be content going to camp with McCarron and Peterman.

6 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Are there any QB prospects in the 2019 draft that are worth holding out on? What if they trade back out of 12 to say Arizona and grab their first this year and next? They may be content going to camp with McCarron and Peterman.

Drew Lock seems to be the only one of merit that I can think of.

Even he's not a top10 projected if I remember correctly.

Basically it's an "EJ Manuel year"

If we don't go this year, we are waiting until 2020

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You take the QB when you get the shot.   That was Buddy Nix mistake.......trying to build around the QB first.......better off keeping them on the bench for a year or two if you are worried about the "other" personnel.

You can buy OL with your enormous cap room in 2019 and 2020.......they aren't in great supply but far easier to acquire than a high quality QB prospect.

This really is a special year for QB in the draft...........maybe the first three off the board won't be HOF'ers like 2004.........but it's rare to get 5 who have #1 overall potential in a given year........and this group does.

On the plus side..........I really like the HS class entering college.:devil:     2020 should have a couple nice prospects and 2021 could have 3-4.     Might be a while before we see 5 at this level again though.

I hope Tua stays healthy! ;)