Killing the Draft, Free Agency- Not so much....

After the recent trades and picks acquired to really smash the upcoming draft I and I’m sure many of you got really pumped. REALLY PUMPED!

But I gotta tell you the euphoria is wearing out really fast because of our lack of activity in FA not addressing glaring needs.

Davis: Decent pick up that allows us to move on from EJ with little sting though IMO not as good a player as Gaines scheme wise. Yeah! Doesn’t effect comp picks.

Ivory: Meh, may be a decent backup and upgrade from Tolbert but you probably could’ve gotten that scouting the biggest kid at a Pop Warner game. Could’ve done better and cheaper but yeah, doesn’t effect comp picks.

Star: Has anyone posted contract details yet? Gotta tell you I’m not upset but at the same time not floored. Worst kept secret in FA this year. Was there any doubt he’d end up here? Best attribute is availability, he’s the Preston Brown of DTs. Occupies blockers and adept at collapsing the pocket when motivated. No pass rush at all, no TFLs. I really hope he’s not a 10 mil per contract because of his connection with Carolina.

Kyle W- As a homer I love it, I’ll leave it at that. Solid guy on the decline on a team friendly contract. Position of need, no complaints.

Bush- Ok, moving on.

We sorely need WRs. Robinson, gone. Lee, gone. Richardson, gone. Moncrief, gone. Gabriel, gone. Wilson, gone. 

DTs: Richardson, Poe, Allen ( all better than Star)

LBs- Bradham, Hitchens, Bowman, Murphy

Bridge QB- Keenum, gone, McNown, gone. Bridgewater, Bradford, gone

I understand sometimes you have to go back to move forward but it really feels like this regime is gearing for next year when we’re flushed with cap space and are content on just grooming the heir apparent. He’ll have no weapons other than a often hobbled Clay and aging Shady. 

They better get  a bridge QB quick. How about Matt Moore? Another FA splash by the Bills! Somebody talk me off the ledge, please!

To be clear I’m still a believer in the “process” and proud to be a fan of this organization. Maybe it’s premature and some major difference makers are still in play so here’s hoping it happens sooner than later. GO BILLS!

2 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time  tomorrow.

Get off the ledge.

Those sure are a lot of quality players acquired for an event that technically hasn’t started yet.

Seriously, isn’t anybody else worried most of the top tier FAs are already gone or is everyone confident we’ll get all we need through the draft? Especially after we give half our picks away for a QB.

Edited by billsbackto81

The way that I look at it is that the improved the DT position and safety, RB depth. Davis, if healthy, is an upgrade at CB. 

There are giants holes at QB, OL, WR, LB and pass rush still. Some of these can be taken care of in the draft. There are still some solid options out there that could fit the Bills. I like Alex Okafor a lot as a potential DE option. They can add one of the Browns or Bradham at LB. That will fit a spot. There is still plenty of work to be done.

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Those sure are a lot of quality players acquired for an event that technically hasn’t started yet.

I guess I am not as impressed as you are with most of those deals.

McDermott and Beane are building a team for the long haul, and you still do that by building your nucleus through the draft.

We will be flush with cash next year to sign free agents as needed

We finally have a GM who seems quite aware of the benefits of playing the "supplemental pick game" to their advantage and thus you don't go crazy overspending in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

We improved the biggest need outside of QB with Lotulelei, before FA officially even started. 

We signed a CB in Vontae Davis that's far better than EJ Gaines, is still only 29, and even though he was injured last year, would be an improvement even at 70% of his ability (keep in mind how often Gaines was injured last year too).

Shored up the RB spot with a former starter in Chris Ivory, a person who will be a massive upgrade over Mike Tolbert. 

Resigned pieces like Kyle Williams & Nick O'leary, who although aren't "great," are still solid pieces that all teams need to have on their roster.

Do we still need some pieces? Yes. But what people would you suggest are "must-haves" that we NEED virtually signed & tendered before FA even begins? 

FA was never supposed to be where we make a big splash anyway, as Beane & Co. have stated time & time again their strategy is building through the draft....And nobody can deny they have set themselves up masterfully to do just that this year.

Edited by BigDingus

13 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Seriously, isn’t anybody else worried most of the top tier FAs are already gone or is everyone confident we’ll get all we need through the draft? Especially after we give half our picks away for a QB.

No I am not. 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You must have been bummed when the Bills signed two nobody safeties named Hyde and Poyer.

No, but wasn’t expecting much. Like everyone else I was pleasantly surprised. I get it, we won’t be big spenders in FA but jeez let’s address the WR and LB spots with quality starters. You don’t have to break the bank for Richardson, Hitchens or Wilson and Gabriel.

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No, but wasn’t expecting much. Like everyone else I was pleasantly surprised. I get it, we won’t be big spenders in FA but jeez let’s address the WR and LB spots with quality starters. You don’t have to break the bank for Richardson, Hitchens or Wilson and Gabriel.

It hasnt opened yet. And those type players that will not break the bank take a little longer 

Don’t be surprised if the Bills don’t do anything but bargain shop this year. I feel like the main goal this offseason is to get our QB, and fill holes with cap friendly contracts.

Next offseason the Bills will have a ton of cap room, that’s when you will see the Bills begin to build for the Super Bowl run.

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

bring back the official bills message board. PLEASE.

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Hey, we had many good posters over there! We're not all this naive.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To the OP....is this for serious?

Go get a latti and chill the F out

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm at a loss for words.........image.png.4f42f868ff0b37aa7a86a31ffd4faf77.png..

image.png

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

This thread is about 2 months too soon....if ever. smh

Good stuff guys, keep em coming! Very insightful.

Edited by billsbackto81

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

McBeane went from brilliant to crap in less than 8 hours. That's got to be a record for TSW doesn't it?

Never said that. His handling of trades and acquiring draft picks has been nothing short of brilliant.

What day of free agency did Poyer and Hyde sign last year? 

There is definitely a lot of work to be done this offseason. I'm a bit anxious to see how to QB situation will unfold. That will effectively decide whether this offseason is a success or not. None of the QB's that signed today were major difference makers (sans Cousins). Some of the money thrown to guys like Bradford could be better used to fill the roster. 

I'm ok with waiting for the dust to settle a bit and see if the price on some of these "bridge" Qb's drops to a more appropriate level.