Is Glenn a goner??

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I am not sure, he is a pretty affordable tackle option. If they believe he will be healthy this year I would rather keep him. I would also prefer to move him to RT and keep Dawkins at left. 

....and perhaps a move to RT may not be as demanding as the blind side, prolonging his career...BUT....some posters said "he would never go for that"......if he is healthy and can play the right side effectively, who cares if he's getting LT money?......

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and perhaps a move to RT may not be as demanding as the blind side, prolonging his career...BUT....some posters said "he would never go for that"......if he is healthy and can play the right side effectively, who cares if he's getting LT money?......

He has already made big money, I don't see why he would care at this point. I actually think he would be an elite RT, compared to an above average LT. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't see him going anywhere by next Friday.  If anything he would be part of a draft day move up package.

I think he will be traded before the 2mill bonus is due

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of money at this point but some guys are just more comfortable on one side than the other. Has ever played RT? 

Unfortunately, it kind of looks like he may be.

It's a shame, because the Bills will be dealing him when his value is at its all time lowest.

I don't really understand the desire to trade away a quality, starting caliber tackle on a good contract. IF you feel like his health problems will be ongoing, then sure, I can see moving on. But we have no indication that that's the case. If he's slated to be fully healthy for 2018, I'd much rather keep him. Seems like Beane and McDermott think otherwise, though. The writing is on the wall with Cordy. They almost sent him to Seattle last year.

• Like (+1) 2

I have a feeling he will be gone soon, particularly since it seems they tried to trade him before the trading deadline last season.

I would like to see him stay, more so if we are planning to play a rookie QB (whether at RT or LT).

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

When Glenn is healthy he is a top 10 LT, I'm really hoping he can make a comeback. 

If he can come back healthy and if the staff believes that Dawkins can play RT, this should be the strategy.

In that scenario, all they would really need is a RG and back up center. Also, if Daboll believes in Miller, the Bills could have their starting 5 in front of them.

But, how often does it work out in your favor?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it’s a matter of money at this point but some guys are just more comfortable on one side than the other. Has ever played RT? 

....don't know and don't know how tough the transition is....too bad Shaunta53 no longer posts here....he was a line guru exponentially.........

The days of the LT being way more important than RT  are over. With how often the defensive line rotates & DE's switch sides, the RT spot is just as important as LT. I dont know how important it is to a tackles mindset that theyre LT or RT. But I too would rather we keep Glenn at this point if he's healthy. Especially with us bringing in 1 or 2 new qb's this year. Giving them every chance at success is key. We've paid the price of not having Glenn healthy the past couple years. Hopefully his injury issues have been fixed & he'll be ready to go

From what I have seen on Sporttrac if they cut Glenn this season they only save 3.35 million on the 2018 cap. If the team cuts him in 2019 they save 6 million. So the Bills could cut Glenn in 2018 they save 3.35 million in 2018 and 6.5 million in 2019 vs. cutting him in 2019. So the question you have to ask is cutting Glenn in 2018 worth 9 million in cap space spread across 2 seasons (With only 3ish million coming right away?)

I think given that Glenn is a young player at a premium position the team is much better off trying to see if he can return from injury in 2018 (esp if you have a rookie QB, protection will be key.) Now if the Bills were to trade him they do save a bit more in 2018 (4.8 million) which could honestly be a bit more attractive. But unless the Giants or another trade up partner wants Glenn as a throw-in, I don't see any significant offer coming in for him. 

I think he gets traded next week to the Giants and the Bills acquire the number 2 pick in the draft. The Giants are rebuiding their line and sign Norwell and draft an OLine guy with our #21 pick like Daniels or Hernandez and with #22 draft a RB like Sony Michel. These teams want to figure the trade out before FA

Edited by horned dogs

All kidding aside...why is Glenn so disliked/disrespected by Bills fans? Im well aware of the predraft rumor Nix  started but the whole first part of his career people wanted to kick him inside, make him play guard or over to RT. Then when we finally get a kid that can play LT or RT people insist he be traded. 

Cordy Glenn (when healthy) is an extremely good lineman. He makes the team better when he plays. If he's healthy enough to play it needs to be for Buffalo. If he's not healthy enough to play no one is going to take his salary anyways. I hope he's healthy, he stays and we reap the benefits of him playing here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ******* said:

With the way this team is moving I’d think he’s gone with the bonus due next Friday 

Let me try to educate.  If you click on the table below it'll be easier to see.

The Bills owe Glenn a $2M bonus plus $9.25M salary this year.  So you might think, We Doggies! trade Glenn and we save $11.25M!

Look at the top left orange box under "trade (pre-June 1), $9.6M. 

This is the result of Glenn's prorated signing bonus of $3.2M per year x 3 accelerating into 2018 if he's traded.

Trade Glenn -> save ($11.25M - $9.6M) = $1.65M

And he leaves a hole we got to fill

Let's say we pick up a FA OT, a 5 year vet.  At veteran minimum, he gets $0.8M/yr plus probably some signing bonus, and if he's good, he gets more.

The #31 paid LT in the league, DJ Humphries of the Cardinals, gets an average of $2.25M/yr.

Bottom line, we will not move Glenn because we owe him a bonus and a big salary, because we don't save enough to pay his replacement.

We will move Glenn if and only if we can use him as bait to acquire someone who adds more value to the team than we lose by trading him.

image.thumb.png.82d5f99af87aa99e724656dfce58f34a.png

13 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I think he gets traded next week to the Giants and the Bills acquire the number 2 pick in the draft. The Giants are rebuiding their line and sign Norwell and draft an OLine guy with our #21 pick like Daniels or Hernandez and with #22 draft a RB like Sony Michel. These teams want to figure the trade out before FA

Using Glenn as part of a package to acquire the #2 pick in the draft would certainly be a sound reason to move him, but I would be highly surprised if the Giants would commit themselves so far in advance of the draft and while they're still in the process of going to pro days and bringing draft prospects in, to set a final value on them (not to mention seeing if other teams will offer them more)

#2 to #21 is a long drop down.

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Unfortunately I think he's trade bait, they are trying to clear out our cap this year and looking to find space to re-sign players next year. 

They will not save much cap this year by trading Glenn.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills owe Glenn a $2M bonus plus $9.25M salary this year.  So you might think, We Doggies! trade Glenn and we save $11.25M!

This is the result of Glenn's prorated signing bonus of $3.2M per year x 3 accelerating into 2018 if he's traded.

Let's say we pick up a FA OT, a 5 year vet.  At veteran minimum, he gets $0.8M/yr plus probably some signing bonus, and if he's good, he gets more.

The #31 paid LT in the league, DJ Humphries of the Cardinals, gets an average of $2.25M/yr.

Bottom line, we will not move Glenn because we owe him a bonus and a big salary, because we don't save enough to pay his replacement.

We will move Glenn if and only if we can use him as bait to acquire someone who adds more value to the team than we lose by trading him.

for a pretty astute football guy around these parts, trying that "voice of reason" stuff may not be a wise idea unless you're dressed in kevlar...just sayin'....

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

If they can trade him fine but I hope we are not cutting a talented player when healthy with a line group that is mediocre at best especially on the right side.

Right on! If Glenn can get 100% healthy again ..that gives us two solid T's..you never want to mess with that..ever.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Using Glenn as part of a package to acquire the #2 pick in the draft would certainly be a sound reason to move him, but I would be highly surprised if the Giants would commit themselves so far in advance of the draft and while they're still in the process of going to pro days and bringing draft prospects in, to set a final value on them (not to mention seeing if other teams will offer them more)

#2 to #21 is a long drop down.

They will not save much cap this year by trading Glenn.

You are likely correct as the usual MO is to wait until they are on the clock. I just have a sneaking suspicion after hearing Gettleman say he wanted to have a clear idea by FA what the direction was. Could just be smoke, or could be he and Beane have it worked out and nothing to be gained by waiting. They both move forward in FA and the draft knowing where they stand. Gettleman has a **** ton of draft picks and Glenn. He can sign Norwell and whoever else he want. Beane has number 2. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am pretty sure at UGA he played every position on the line at some point. 

6 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I get it he earns a lot of money but I don't understand the rush to get rid of him.   He can play Right tackle and coming of college there was talk that he could be an all pro guard.   They can live with him on the books for at least next season.   If he is healthy they have a rock solid pair of tackles.   

Some people are acting like we are running a firesale ...jeepers..if you want I winning team you have to pay the top talent.

If Glenn is back 90+ percent you GOT to keep him.

All the trade Glenn reasons last year are different this year.

Bills have shed a ton of cap space and need now to be much more selective.

Glenn needs to step up and become the leader of the OL for next year.

Wood is gone.  So is Henderson.  Groy is the Bills Center with only a handful of starts.

Richie is old and most likely on his last year as a Bill.

LG is average at best.

If you want to get 2 million is cap saving cut Jordan Mills not Cordy Glenn.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If they feel he will never be dependably near 80-100% then use him in a trade.

...isn't that a paradoxical statement?....how do "trade partner" and "dependability" equate?...just curious.............and at what value?..........

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't that a paradoxical statement?....how do "trade partner" and "dependability" equate?...just curious.............and at what value?..........

Not arguing but don’t understand your question.

If the Bills training staff thinks he can’t be depended upon in the future they should trade him. 

If they legitimately feel he’s got at least two solid years left then they should keep him.

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not arguing but don’t understand your question.

If the Bills training staff thinks he can’t be depended upon in the future they should trade him. 

If they legitimately feel he’s got at least two solid years left then they should keep him.

...apologize for the confusion bud....if the Bflo medical staff questions his dependability from a health perspective, why do you think he would be trade worthy?....caveat emptor IMO..isn't the buyer getting potentially damaged goods if  health/dependability are the reasons for Bflo letting him go?...hope this helps......and yes, keep him if he is healthy...cap hit implications seriously diminish for 2019 I believe..

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...apologize for the confusion bud....if the Bflo medical staff questions his dependability from a health perspective, why do you think he would be trade worthy?....caveat emptor IMO..isn't the buyer getting potentially damaged goods if  health/dependability are the reasons for Bflo letting him go?...hope this helps......

I guess I’m saying healthy enough to pass a physical but they still don’t trust him to stay on the field.

You never know who will give up what ina trade. NE has been getting over on teams for years.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

They won't this year, they would for next year I believe unless I'm mistaken. I don't want to trade him, I want him at RT. 

It's true, they could clear him off the books at the cost of nailing the cap further this year.

I just don't see the cost/benefit of that.  If he's healthy, by all reports he's a hard worker, and the loss of Wood already leaves a veteran hole in the line.

With Dareus, I think we mailed him out of here because he was snoozing in meetings etc and it sends a bad message if your top paid guy isn't buying in.

I don't think losing an above average tackle makes any sense, why fix something that isn't broken? Now if he's part of a trade to move up and get a QB, if his injury is worse than were hearing or if he 's part of a trade for a player at another position it makes sense. To outright cut him for none of the above reasons just wouldn't make much sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think losing an above average tackle makes any sense, why fix something that isn't broken? Now if he's part of a trade to move up and get a QB, if his injury is worse than were hearing or if he 's part of a trade for a player at another position it makes sense. To outright cut him for none of the above reasons just wouldn't make much sense to me. 

Agree.  If he is part of a package to move up, makes sense.  Moving on for a minimal savings when you could have two good tackles makes less sense.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

think he will be traded before the 2mill bonus is due

For some reason I just see him being more valuable as part of a trade up rather than by himself.  Plus I don't see the Bills as in a desperate need to shed money now that TT was traded before his bonus kicked in.