M. Rudolph. Would he make it to 53?

I've noticed that Rudolph along with Mayfield have lost a lot of steam in the QB draft conversation. Seems Rosen and Darnold are concensus Top 5 locks while Allen and Jackson are picking up the pace. Mayfield talk is still there but not as enthusiastic as a few weeks ago. Rudolph is starting to look like an afterthought and consolation prize. I know stats and observations don't mean much to many fans but:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-arm-strength-accuracy-and-everything-to-know-about-qbs/

Going by this Rudolph appears to be the most well rounded QB of the bunch scoring very high in most categories. I'd hate to use any of our (2) first rounders on him but I can see #53 or a trade up after the picks in Round 1. If we could get a stud DT/WR/ or LB with our first 2 and get Rudolph in the second that would be quite the score JMO. Does he drop that far or close to it? Would you be on board with this? I know he's not the sexy pick with the canon arm and killer wheels but he can possibly be a quality pro with proper coaching.

On the record I'd rather get Foles for a 2nd at most. 

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

I've noticed that Rudolph along with Mayfield have lost a lot of steam in the QB draft conversation. Seems Rosen and Darnold are concensus Top 5 locks while Allen and Jackson are picking up the pace. Mayfield talk is still there but not as enthusiastic as a few weeks ago. Rudolph is starting to look like an afterthought and consolation prize. I know stats and observations don't mean much to many fans but:  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-rankings-arm-strength-accuracy-and-everything-to-know-about-qbs/

Going by this Rudolph appears to be the most well rounded QB of the bunch scoring very high in most categories. I'd hate to use any of our (2) first rounders on him but I can see #53 or a trade up after the picks in Round 1. If we could get a stud DT/WR/ or LB with our first 2 and get Rudolph in the second that would be quite the score JMO. Does he drop that far or close to it? Would you be on board with this? I know he's not the sexy pick with the canon arm and killer wheels but he can possibly be a quality pro with proper coaching.

So you are basing that "they are losing steam" based on what you read here or other media outlets?

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So you are basing that "they are losing steam" based on what you read here or other media outlets?

Mostly other outlets. Mock drafts, NFL analysts and several articles The Bills just have so many needs to fill that I just can't see paying the price to get someone who may not turn out to be any better than someone later on the board.

Also by "losing steam" I mean positioning on the big board. The Big 4 (Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield) are all Top 15 locks IMO.

Edited by billsbackto81

If they think that Rudolph is a potential long-term starter for them, they should just take him in the first with 21 or 22.  If they would contemplate waiting and hoping that he is available at 53, then they don't think he is likely to be a long-term answer.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

So were striving for quality pro at QB and that's with proper coaching?

He isn't losing steam. The idea that he is a top quarterback was a completely fabricated fantasy. He is starting to regress to where he really belongs, which is third or fourth round. I think once teams fill positions in free agency and draft the top five guys, I think there will be a long wait for quarterback 6, whether that's Rudolph, or Lauletta or whatever. I think the top five go in round 1 and the next guy goes in round 3. 

29 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

So were striving for quality pro at QB and that's with proper coaching?

When has the plan ever changed? Isn't that what every coach, team and fan base wants? We all can't have a generational QB on every team.

Edited by billsbackto81

35 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Um...where are you getting Mayfield is losing steam?  Mason I get...but Baker is not losing steam.

In fact, Darnold not throwing actually opened up the door to both Allen and Baker potentially going before him.  I am not suggesting they for sure will, but Darnold is far from a lock in the top 5.  Sure, he could easily go there or number 1 overall even, but I am just sure where you are forming this opinion that he is a lock and Baker is losing steam.  

While Darnold wont hurt himself directly by not throwing, he indirectly did because the top 5 QB's are very closely grouped, way more so than most lazy mock drafts give credit for.  Darnolds season was a let down and raised concerns and question marks.  The guy who seized the most opportunity at the combine was Allen, who was already getting top 5 buzz (even if not everyone agrees with that).  And if you already liked Baker, he didn't disappoint either.

Quite possible Darnold falls a bit if Cle truly prefers Allen.  In fact, they could (and should IMO) go Barkley #1 then Allen #4.  The only way another QB goes before the 4th pick IMO is in a trade up as I dont see Giants or Colts taking a QB.  And that can easily be Rosen, meaning Darnold would be the 3rd guy off the board at best, assuming the next teams doesn't prefer Baker or Lamar (I still think it would be Darnold #5 to Denver IMO if that was the case though).  And if no one trades up to 2 or 3, then Rosen could go to Denver and Darnold may last until the 6th pick or later.  

Where he goes after that will depend on how each teams sees him or Baker.  I will bet you money, there are more than 1 team that have Baker ranked higher than Darnold right now.  This is a closely ranked group and subtle things can make all the difference in one being ahead of the other on many teams boards.  

This is what makes this draft year so exciting, there are just so many scenarios that can happen and teams will have widely varying opinions.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Again, when say " losing steam" I mean Mayfield in the conversation as a top 3 QB being taken. Yes, he will go anywhere between 5-10 but just a few weeks ago he was talked about as the #1 overall. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Given the average life expectancy in the US, then yes, he should make it to 53 with plenty to spare. Statistically speaking, at least.

?

Edited by billsbackto81

Anyway, we can all agree it's a crapshoot as to who drafts who and when. What I really want to know is do you think Rudolph makes it to 53 and would you be upset or psyched if we get him? Assuming we got any combo of Panye/ Ridley or Vea/ Sutton or Evans/ Kirk

Edited by billsbackto81

27 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they think that Rudolph is a potential long-term starter for them, they should just take him in the first with 21 or 22.  If they would contemplate waiting and hoping that he is available at 53, then they don't think he is likely to be a long-term answer.

I agree with this statement.

The Bills absolutely must get out of this draft with a Quarterback they believe can be our long-term answer.  Not a mid-round project like Cardale Jones or Nate Peterman.  How many guys they think fit that mold will determine what kind of draft strategy they should employ.

If they only believe in 3-4 guys (let's just say Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield), then Brandon Beane better be making his pre-draft calls and be prepared to make a trade into the Top 5-10.  Because it's highly unlikely that any of these fall to #21, and I'm skeptical any of them will make it past Miami at #11 or Arizona at #15.

If we also see guys like Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph in that light, then we can probably sit tight and watch the draft play out.  There is a good chance that someone will fall to our first pick.  And if QBs start disappearing, it will be more feasible to only move up 5-6 spots and get our guy.

However, I absolutely do not believe we can wait until #53.  Not too far behind us, you have New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville and New England, who could definitely be in the market for a Quarterback.  And if any of the early teams (Cleveland, New York Giants, Denver, New York Jets, Miami, Arizona) pass on a QB in Round 1, they will be itching to snatch someone up early in Round 2.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

It would not surprise me that now with the combine gone that the whole group of QB's will be seen in a more realistic light in terms of the NFL.  For the Bills that might mean more options outside of the top 10 in the draft order.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I read the topic as "Would he make it to the 53 man roster?"

That was actually my first thought!

I liked him a lot in a couple early season games, but saw little of him after that. I won’t pretend I could look at him like a scout, but he looked good to me. How strong is the arm? How will “small hands” affect him? Can he read defenses? I can’t even guess. That’s why we have scouts, and I pray they have better answers than I do. 

Opinions of pundits are varied at this point.  I've seen Rudolph projected to the Bills in the third round of a five round mock draft as well as going in the first round.  Only two things are certain.  Opinions are going to change between now and the end of April, and the Bills probably won't be listening to opinions outside of their own scouting staff.

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Part of this is the West Coast media......and the East Coast Media.....the Oklahoma media....not so mcuh.  Lets hope the Bills make the judgement on the basis of player skills and not what is reported out of NYC and LA  (yes, the bias exists in sports also)

If you want to take him in the first, why not look for a trade down partner and  pick up an extra pick and use a later 1st on him. Chances are he will be there, or one of the other 2nd tier guys, if he is not. I'd rather have someone like him or Jackson AND someone like a White, a Falk or a Lauletta . Now that is increasing the odds of finding your developmental QB of the future. Much better than trading up using so many top picks that you have mortgaged your future for 3 or 4 years and gambling on one guy having a 50% chance of being a top QB.

38 minutes ago, simpleman said:

If you want to take him in the first, why not look for a trade down partner and  pick up an extra pick and use a later 1st on him. Chances are he will be there, or one of the other 2nd tier guys, if he is not. I'd rather have someone like him or Jackson AND someone like a White, a Falk or a Lauletta . Now that is increasing the odds of finding your developmental QB of the future. Much better than trading up using so many top picks that you have mortgaged your future for 3 or 4 years and gambling on one guy having a 50% chance of being a top QB.

To me, if you try to get cute and trade down then pick him, then you don't really think he has a good chance to be a long-term answer.  If that is the case, then wait and don't take him unless he is still available much later.  However, if you think he has a good chance to be the long-term answer, why gamble - just take him at 21. 

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

To me, if you try to get cute and trade down then pick him, then you don't really think he has a good chance to be a long-term answer.  If that is the case, then wait and don't take him unless he is still available much later.  However, if you think he has a good chance to be the long-term answer, why gamble - just take him at 21. 

By that logic we would not have a Tre White on our team and an extra 1st this year. If he wasn't good enough to pick at 10, he couldn't be good enough to be a long term answer.

43 minutes ago, simpleman said:

By that logic we would not have a Tre White on our team and an extra 1st this year. If he wasn't good enough to pick at 10, he couldn't be good enough to be a long term answer.

QB is different than any other position because the supply of long-term answers is so low.   You are in a much bigger hole if you don't have a good QB than if you don't have a good CB.

Initially, I was iffy on Rudolph. This was based on scouting reports and comments on this board (always a mistake). Now that I've had a chance to watch clips of him play, I'm liking him more and more. He hits players in stride more than some of the other top qbs in this draft. I was also impressed with his intelligence after watching his interview with Steve Mariucci.

Arm strength is still the question for me. His pro day should be interesting.

Having said this, I agree with most that he won't go in the first round. I also agree with the OP that I'd like us to trade down to late 1st early 2nd and take him before a teams like the Saints, Pats, Chargers get a chance.

Of course, if we had a shot at Rosen or Darnold, I'd prefer either of those two.

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

However, I absolutely do not believe we can wait until #53.  Not too far behind us, you have New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville and New England, who could definitely be in the market for a Quarterback.  And if any of the early teams (Cleveland, New York Giants, Denver, New York Jets, Miami, Arizona) pass on a QB in Round 1, they will be itching to snatch someone up early in Round 2.

over 40 games started....extremely smart....good pedigree... perfect size...experience under center....improved every year...johnny unitas award...almost 14k career passing yards...37-9 td/int. ratio as a SENIOR. he will be the next jimmy g for the pats. unless we make a monumental move in fa/trade or move up for rosen or mayfield, he is a MUST pick at 21/22. it's a no brainer and only whaley would pass on this.

mcbeane or mcwhaley......in the words of nfl old fart...stay tuned......

Edited by billsredneck1