What are your top 5 QB's in this years draft??

Simple question, who are your top 5 in this years draft? Here's mine....

5. Josh Allen & Mason Rudolph- but if I had to pick only 1, I'd pick Allen b/c of his raw potential. Allen could easily be the best QB in this draft. He could also be a huge bust.

4. Lamar Jackson- super athletic, better passer than  many give him credit for, and I think could be a better version of Cam Newton

3. Sam Darnold- Most natural passer. Checks all the boxes. Very solid prospect, and will probably the 1st overall pick

2. Baker Mayfield- don't care if he is short to NFL standards. He can play!! Very accurate, can make plays with his feet, and looks like a mix of Favre & Steve Young. Would love to draft this kid!!

1. Josh Rosen- IMHO, he's the best QB prospect since Luck. He can  make so many throws look so effortless. Reads the field well, highly intelligent, and I really hope all this smoke is true, and we make the move to get this stud!!

• Like (+1) 1

1. Lamar Jackson - I think his accuracy is roughly average compared to the rest of the class, which in conjunction with his arm strength, incredible running ability, and ability to go through progressions, makes him the #1 QB in this class for me.

2. Sam Darnold - Obviously you love his build. He can do just enough with his legs to get himself out of trouble/make plays and he's just a really talented passer. The turnover history is definitely troublesome though.

3. Josh Allen - I think he's less likely to pan out than Mayfield or Rosen, but his ceiling is so absurdly high that I'd take him over either of them. If he can improve his accuracy to become roughly league average (compared to other starters), he'll be in MVP conversations IMO.

4. Baker Mayfield - Probably the most accurate passer in this draft class. I'm a little concerned about his arm strength; he can get the ball there fine, but it's kinda Fitzpatrick-ish in the way that you can tell he's putting absolutely everything he has into his throws to get decent velocity on it. It's worked for him to this point, but it does give me some hesitations. His footwork is an absolute mess, but like the arm strength, it's worked for him so far.

5. Josh Rosen - Obviously I'm lower on him than most, but I'd still be happy to have him in the first round and to have him as a Buffalo Bill. The main concerns are his slight build along with his injury history and his lack of mobility. I'm afraid he's going to be a sitting duck in the pocket and while he's a talented passer, his decision making under pressure is pretty poor and I don't think he's as accurate as he's given credit for. He's still probably the 3rd or 4th most accurate in the class, but it isn't great IMO.

Edited by DCOrange

1 - Josh Rosen - the best Quarterback in the class. He isn't perfect but he has so many of the more advanced skills - he is accurate, he throws people open, he has a great delivery, very refined footwork.  Top 5 grade

2 - Sam Darnold - I feel like the ceiling is pretty high but at the moment there isn't a throw he doesn't think he can make. Mobility is good, arm is good, natural playmaker and great competitor. Top 15 grade

3 - Baker Mayfield - Accurate, creative, winner. Size does worry you, the footwork isn't where it needs to be and I don't see enough "NFL throws" on his tape.  But in an offense where a coordinator is willing to tailor some things to his skillset he can be very successful. Mid 1st round grade

4 - Mason Rudolph - You make your money in this league with the intermediate throws and he is the best and most accurate intermediate thrower in the class. But the mental transition is going to be a challenge for him and I don't love his deep ball. 1st/2nd borderline grade

5 - Lamar Jackson - Has improved as a passer but would as of today still be a bottom end NFL starter as a passer.  Obviously his other gifts are special and I do think the kid is still improving but needs to make more NFL throws more accurately.  Mid 2nd round grade

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Dylan...Dylan..              Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan because I spit hot fire!

No but for real: 

1. Darnold- I think Rosen may have a higher ceiling, but Darnold I think is a safer pick with a floor of Flacco pre ACL tear and ceiling around Phillip Rivers. Good leader with all the passing traits you want that just need time to smooth out.

2. Rosen- Ceiling reminds me of a mix of Matt Ryan/Stafford/Rich Gannon late career (OAK). I think he will succeed but he does need the correct situation where I think Darnold can go anywhere and at his floor be decent enough.

3. Mayfield- Has that Steve Young moxie and feel when he is good and also has that Vince Young potential to implode if he is in the wrong hands coaching wise IMO. Doesn't scare me with our coaching staff I think he would do well, but a place like NYC I could see issues given the big lights and constant media.

4. Rudolph- Very much a situational QB in terms of success to me. He has accuracy and size and with a coach thats a little creative I think he could be be a higher end version of Ryan Tannehill. He needs time to sit and develop also and I don't see him having much success if he has to start immediately.

5. Jackson- I see his ceiling somewhere above Tyrod & below Deshaun Watson. He can be incredibly explosive but his accuracy needs work and he is absolutely a project QB to develop him fully. That said his athleticism probably would allow him more success early on the the other four just because some of the plays he can make are sublime, but I think defenses would have him figured out after a season if he doesn't grow.

Edited by corta765

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

1. Lamar Jackson - I think his accuracy is roughly average compared to the rest of the class, which in conjunction with his arm strength, incredible running ability, and ability to go through progressions, makes him the #1 QB in this class for me.

2. Sam Darnold - Obviously you love his build. He can do just enough with his legs to get himself out of trouble/make plays and he's just a really talented passer. The turnover history is definitely troublesome though.

3. Josh Allen - I think he's less likely to pan out than Mayfield or Rosen, but his ceiling is so absurdly high that I'd take him over either of them. If he can improve his accuracy to become roughly league average (compared to other starters), he'll be in MVP conversations IMO.

4. Baker Mayfield - Probably the most accurate passer in this draft class. I'm a little concerned about his arm strength; he can get the ball there fine, but it's kinda Fitzpatrick-ish in the way that you can tell he's putting absolutely everything he has into his throws to get decent velocity on it. It's worked for him to this point, but it does give me some hesitations. His footwork is an absolute mess, but like the arm strength, it's worked for him so far.

5. Josh Rosen - Obviously I'm lower on him than most, but I'd still be happy to have him in the first round and to have him as a Buffalo Bill. The main concerns are his slight build along with his injury history and his lack of mobility. I'm afraid he's going to be a sitting duck in the pocket and while he's a talented passer, his decision making under pressure is pretty poor and I don't think he's as accurate as he's given credit for. He's still probably the 3rd or 4th most accurate in the class, but it isn't great IMO.

I'm not sure that is a fit in Buffalo with this regime. He seems like he will take awhile if he ever gets there. That doesn't sound like a good risk, reward for the chance his physical skills make him a bit better long term.

My five

Josh Rosen

Sam Darnold

Baker Mayfield

Mason Rudolph

Josh Allen

Lamar Jackson

Oh wait that is 6!

Edited by horned dogs

1 hour ago, elltrain22 said:

5. Josh Allen & Mason Rudolph- but if I had to pick only 1, I'd pick Allen b/c of his raw potential. Allen could easily be the best QB in this draft. He could also be a huge bust.

4. Lamar Jackson- super athletic, better passer than  many give him credit for, and I think could be a better version of Cam Newton

3. Sam Darnold- Most natural passer. Checks all the boxes. Very solid prospect, and will probably the 1st overall pick

2. Baker Mayfield- don't care if he is short to NFL standards. He can play!! Very accurate, can make plays with his feet, and looks like a mix of Favre & Steve Young. Would love to draft this kid!!

1. Josh Rosen- IMHO, he's the best QB prospect since Luck. He can  make so many throws look so effortless. Reads the field well, highly intelligent, and I really hope all this smoke is true, and we make the move to get this stud!!

I put this on another thread, I'll put it out there.  I don't watch college ball, but I made a special effort for this draft.

My personal ranking is:

1) Rosen - best technique by a mile, smart, gamer.  needs to learn to slide.

2) Mayfield -better and more consistent throwing mechanics than Jackson, gamer.  accurate.  rolls out against pressure too much.  needs to learn to slide.

3) Darnold - height and attributes, gamer, dont like his motion but arm strength may compensate.  accurate.  needs to learn to slide.

4) Jackson - inconsistent footwork/mechanics but much better pocket passer and progressions than people think. needs to learn to slide. 

5) Rudolph - safe choice.  very well coached, good mechanics, risk averse.  WR make him look better than he is.

6) Allen - I know how he looks, I know how he throws, I'm judging based on what he does and concerns that accuracy can't be coached.

Note this is NOT the order in which I predict they'll be drafted.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If we drafted Jackson, would you want to keep Tyrod as the vet?

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think Lamar is the one that would make me most open to keeping Tyrod but probably not for the reason you think.  I just think Lamar needs to redshirt... so I'm looking for the best vet I can get that I can move on from in 2019 but I am planning to play for the whole of 2018 (or at least the first 15 games).  That is probably Tyrod.  

I have not finalized my Rankings yet. I will come out with my final list after the combine. I usually watch about six games on all the top QB prospects. This is the deepest QB class I have ever seen, there are about 9 or 10 solid QB prospects in this draft.

1) Darnold

2) Rosen

3)Mayfield

4) White

5)Allen/Rudolph

there's a lot of factors.  top 5 as in what?  i absolutely hate Lamar Jackson but he is going to have a lot of early success so people will say see I told you he was good.  he's not good, he is what he is.  he's going to be very much like Tyrod in that he makes a lot of big plays but can't make the simple plays to drive a team down the field when it matters.  same with Mayfield.  he's pretty much at his ceiling, he's not going to all of a sudden get better.  he could have early success but i don't see him as a long term starter.  Josh Allen will probably have zero early success but if he was in the right situation where he could sit for 2 yrs he might end up being the best of the bunch.  it's highly unlikely that will happen though.  if someone picks a QB top 5 or at the very least top 10, they want them to start right away.  he could flame out pretty quick if he doesn't have time to learn and fix his accuracy issues.  doesn't mean he's bad, he's just not ready right now.  Sam Darnold has poor mechanics and it could be a huge issue but other QB's with mechanics issues have still been able to get the job done.  Josh Rosen is as sure of a thing that there has been in a long time but as others have mentioned he could get hurt and not want to play anymore.  he's the best of the bunch but if that happens people will label him a bust which isn't true.  he will be good when he's on the field.

if it's top 5 of who I would draft it's going to be:

1. Josh Rosen

2. Sam Darnold

3. Josh Allen

4. Baker Mayfield

5. Lamar Jackson

29 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'd be fine with keeping Tyrod, but if they want to use that cap space on something else, that's fine with me too. Ideally I would want to sit Lamar for at least half a season if not the full rookie season though, so if Buffalo moves Tyrod, I'd like a decent replacement. I don't think you need a super mobile veteran in front of Lamar if that's more of what you were getting at; Lamar is mainly a pocket QB that can run. He already has experience in an Erhardt-Perkins style offense; I just suspect that we'd add more read option to it once Lamar is inserted into the starting lineup.

28 minutes ago, billspro said:

I have not finalized my Rankings yet. I will come out with my final list after the combine. I usually watch about six games on all the top QB prospects. This is the deepest QB class I have ever seen, there are about 9 or 10 solid QB prospects in this draft.

Agree.... don't entirely share your ranking.... but I agree this class is as deep as I have seen in terms of people who are legitimately draftable. 

As each of the top quarterback prospects have good and bad, meaning talent and intangibles versus limitations and risks, I would be happy whoever the Bills chose, as I could make a strong case for that player chosen, and hoping that their weaknesses could improve with time and the right teaching, or that success could happen nevertheless because of the supporting cast around them and their other abilities. I think they all could have at least an equal chance to be a top 15 quarterback in this league. There is no guarantees for any of them to be great, or to  to be much better than the rest.

Having said all that, there is something about Baker Mayfield that I really like, besides his talent. He would bring much excitement and a confident attitude to the team, and yet he seems real, and not afraid to show other emotion. I think he could be a great leader, and if he learned by his past mistakes. I could easily see him being the best quarterback in the draft, as he seems to have the drive to be the best, unique talent, and desires to do whatever it takes to lead his teams to score. As long as the Bills top brass like his interviews with them,  are willing to devise a system for him, he would be my first choice.

Rudolph, White or Lauletta, my second choice, in the 2nd rounds or later, respectively. But, I am fine with all the others in the 1sr round.

1. Rosen - Best QB in this draft, Smart good arm, Mechanics best I have seen in years

2. Darnold - Issue with the INT rate, but another Solid QB.

3. Jackson - Impressed a lot with his growth as a QB in the pocket this year, freak athlete and a uber high ceiling

4. Mayfield - Gamer, Just not sure if we are already seeing his ceiling, has a lot of issues picking up and Seeing field presnap ala Bradford (has an issue seeing the blitz)

5. Allen - I would rank him higher as I think he has the highest ceiling out of them all, but after a HORRIBLE year I cannot put him ahead of the other 4.

One of these 4 please.

1)Rosen

2)Darnold

3)Mayfield

4)Rudolph

Billsy pick of what is left for 5th pick on this thread IMO. I guess better then nothing or other teams backups(Fitz,Tyrod)

5)Lauletta/White/Allen/Falk/Jackson

Edited by xRUSHx

1. Baker Mayfield -- if he were 2 inches taller, he'd be the slam dunk first overall pick in the draft. Will be the best of the bunch due to what's in his chest.
2. Josh Rosen -- Mechanics, arm strength, intelligence. If he didn't have character/leadership concerns, he'd ALSO be in the discussion as slam dunk first overall pick.
3. Lamar Jackson -- I'm much higher on his abilities as a quarterback than most. I'm also more confident that he'll make plays in the NFL than the guys listed below.
4. Sam Darnold -- I like his intangibles, arm strength, mobility, and his accuracy MOST OF THE TIME. His wonky throwing motion and turnover-prone nature worry me.
5. Josh Allen -- I absolutely HATE "perfect size, elite arm strength" prospects who can't actually, ya know, play quarterback. I hope the Bills stay far, far away.
6. Mason Rudolph -- I like his deep ball and his frame. I'm not sure he'll have the mental processing ability or nuance to his game needed to be a quality pro. 
7. White/Lauletta/Falk -- Throw these three names in a hat. Pull one out. You've just landed yourself a quality 10-year backup.

Edited by Logic

3 hours ago, elltrain22 said:

That's 6

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's 6

Yeah, I broke my rule!! I think these 6 guys are all first round guys, and after these 6, there is a HUGE drop off. Probably should've put that in my post, but I did state that if I had to pick one, I'd pick Allen over Rudolph

2 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Yeah, I broke my rule!! I think these 6 guys are all first round guys, and after these 6, there is a HUGE drop off. Probably should've put that in my post, but I did state that if I had to pick one, I'd pick Allen over Rudolph

just having fun :D

Top to bottom ranking:

1. Rosen

2. Rudolph

3. Darnold

4. Jackson

5. Mayfield

To me, Mike White will be a better Pro than Mayfield, but based on collegiate production, you can't ignore Mayfield's potential. However, I didn't even rank Allen because IMHO you don't fix inaccurate and you don't completely overhaul tendencies, which he has poor mechanics when throwing off balance that is going to lead to high INT rates....also, those truly elite arm talent guys have been relying on that talent for so long and generally succeeding, that it's like trying to break an old wild stallion to be a stable horse....it ain't happenin'....Allen is one of the most gifted QBs to come out since Aaron Rodgers, but his game is full of flaws and I don't think a HC / QB Coach can fix it to the degree it needs to be fixed to be successful. I'm probably wrong....but oh well, those are my thoughts. 

• Sad 1

1. Darnold

2. Rosen  I think the gap between these two and the rest of the QB's in the draft is significant.

3. Allen

4. Rudolph

5. Mayfield

If the Browns pass on Darnold or Rosen for Mayfield or Allen I think the Bills are moving up. If not I could see  the top 6 gone before the Bills pick.

Edited by Section242

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Top to bottom ranking:

1. Rosen

2. Rudolph

3. Darnold

4. Jackson

5. Mayfield

To me, Mike White will be a better Pro than Mayfield, but based on collegiate production, you can't ignore Mayfield's potential. However, I didn't even rank Allen because IMHO you don't fix inaccurate and you don't completely overhaul tendencies, which he has poor mechanics when throwing off balance that is going to lead to high INT rates....also, those truly elite arm talent guys have been relying on that talent for so long and generally succeeding, that it's like trying to break an old wild stallion to be a stable horse....it ain't happenin'....Allen is one of the most gifted QBs to come out since Aaron Rodgers, but his game is full of flaws and I don't think a HC / QB Coach can fix it to the degree it needs to be fixed to be successful. I'm probably wrong....but oh well, those are my thoughts. 

Deep drafts like this always have a couple guys in the middle and late rounds that become starters. 

I'm betting on White becoming a starter out of the second round and Woodside becoming a starter out of the 4th or 5th round. It will probably be 4 or 5 years before we know who are the best QBs in this class. I think Rosen has legitimate durability concerns which is why he was second on my list. I have Rudolph as a similar prospect to Bridewater when he came out. I think there is a good chance he ends up as a starting QB but has some limitations due to arm strength. I don't think Jackson has the accuracy to develop into a starter at the NFL level, if I am wrong though that will be my biggest miss of all time because his athletic ability is unbelievable. It is hard to bet against Mayfield because of his production, arm talent, and competitive nature. I think he will become a starting QB but if I miss on this one I will have trouble putting a short QB in the first round again. 

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billspro said:

Deep drafts like this always have a couple guys in the middle and late rounds that become starters. 

I'm betting on White becoming a starter out of the second round and Woodside becoming a starter out of the 4th or 5th round. It will probably be 4 or 5 years before we know who are the best QBs in this class. I think Rosen has legitimate durability concerns which is why he was second on my list. I have Rudolph as a similar prospect to Bridewater when he came out. I think there is a good chance he ends up as a starting QB but has some limitations due to arm strength. I don't think Jackson has the accuracy to develop into a starter at the NFL level, if I am wrong though that will be my biggest miss of all time because his athletic ability is unbelievable. It is hard to bet against Mayfield because of his production, arm talent, and competitive nature. I think he will become a starting QB but if I miss on this one I will have trouble putting a short QB in the first round again. 

I understand regarding Rudolph, but I ask this question: if Rudolph had Mayfield’s arm, does he get into the top 10? To me, considering his arm is not a liability - just not great - it’s an over-hyped concern. His arm is plenty NFL ready IMO....people who link Rudy to the Offense at Ok. State continue a narrative that started 14 years ago when spread Offenses were really coming of age and the NFL resisted it on the whole. But now NFL Offenses are coming around to adapting because of how QBs are producing at the college level. I think Rudolph has serious potential to be a very good to great QB. I could definitely believe his floor is Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins and his ceiling could be Phillip Rivers.