Bills hire John Butler as secondary coach

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Its a possibility. Do you know how many people get hired at places simply because they have a friend that does the hiring? Regardless of business acumen or professional standards.

Im questioning it thats all, i dont have that answer.

Lets not act like cronyism doesnt exist tho, especially in the sports and entertainment industry 

I would say 90% of village or union jobs for gas or electric are family or friend connections. I can see this happing in NFL staffing easily.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do you really think he may have just hired him because he's a friend?

I can understand the concern after the Rex Rob move, but I don't see McD jeopardizing what he's building like that. If there's one thing we've seen is the guy has a process and we're seeing him implement it.

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Still not sure why this move was made when the bigger issue with the defense continues to be the front seven like it was under Rex Ryan.

the issue with the front 7 is players, not coaches.

And they just hired a new DLine coach yesterday, or promoted is more accurate.

Edited by klos63

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Still not sure why this move was made when the bigger issue with the defense continues to be the front seven like it was under Rex Ryan.

I don't think that we're done with changes. He's just reached out and got the guy he wanted that was available. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Do you really think he may have just hired him because he's a friend?

Really doubt it when you consider the short life HC often have. You want to make sure you have the best staff around you as if you don't and things regress, you'll be out of work just like this guy was.  Does that mean that their paths hadn't crossed prior and as a result had developed a friendship, quite likely they did, but the hire is because he thinks he'll help the staff, not just because he's a friend.  

Unless of course it's Rex hiring Rob, but even there, I'm sure Rex thought Rob would be a big help. 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If I’m McDermott I’m hiring Leslie Frazier’s potential successor now. Because after another season with that sort of defensive performance, I see him getting looks. 

Looks for what?  Definitely not HC. The league is all about young 

40 minutes ago, klos63 said:

the issue with the front 7 is players, not coaches.

And they just hired a new DLine coach yesterday, or promoted is more accurate.

Facts.

We jus dont have the horses anymore. I can def see our highest profile FA signing to be a DT. Then another DT and DE in the draft, hopefully after we trade up for Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Connect the dots!

Follow the money!

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

What is it about the Dolphins?

Good lord, that guy HAS to be a fins fan - I've never seen anyone talk so glowingly about all of their moves as SP.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Heitz said:

Follow the money!

Good lord, that guy HAS to be a fins fan - I've never seen anyone talk so glowingly about all of their moves as SP.

It was a great hire by a division rival which made adversely effect the Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if we tried to get Oden but Tannenbaum and Gase beat us to the punch.

Either way it still make zero sense this team jettinsoned Gil Byrd considering Hyde and Poyer had career years. You can also argue he's directly responsible for White's accelerated development as a rookie.

Can anyone explain just why Byrd got the bullet in the first place? This is where the debate needs to begin. Because just about anyone else could be due for the boot, if it's performance related.

I had hoped we'd seen the back of the cronyism when Ryan went, but it appears as though that isn't the case.

While we obviously aren't a part of the practises etc., I think it's fair to say that a straw poll of fans, would have Castillo top of a list of any Bills coach that should be fired.

I'd also question if the Waufle retirement is in any way related to Byrd being fired.

'Trust the process', well at least so long as it suits.

2 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Can anyone explain just why Byrd got the bullet in the first place? This is where the debate needs to begin. Because just about anyone else could be due for the boot, if it's performance related.

I had hoped we'd seen the back of the cronyism when Ryan went, but it appears as though that isn't the case.

While we obviously aren't a part of the practises etc., I think it's fair to say that a straw poll of fans, would have Castillo top of a list of any Bills coach that should be fired.

I'd also question if the Waufle retirement is in any way related to Byrd being fired.

'Trust the process', well at least so long as it suits.

From what I've heard about McD, he's easily intimidated by other defensive minds that challenge him and advise on other ways of doing things. So this is probably why he's dumping all the good position coaches and replacing them with yes men types.

Either way nobody can defend this clown for dumping Byrd considering the success this secondary had last year especially with Poyer and Hyde having career seasons under him.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

From what I've heard about McD, he's easily intimidated by other defensive minds that challenge him and advise on other ways of doing things. So this is probably why he's dumping all the good position coaches and replacing them with yes men types.

Either way nobody can defend this clown for dumping Byrd considering the success this secondary had last year especially with Poyer and Hyde having career seasons under him.

so now the coach is a clown?

you're an idiot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, folz said:

Here's an article from BuffaloRumblings from a year ago speculating that McD might hire him as defensive coordinator.

Apparently, McD and Butler were high school teammates. Butler was recently fired by the Texans.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/11/14236628/john-butler-sean-mcdermott-bills-texans-assistant-ties-to-mcdermott-could-be-defensive-coordinator

See ya Leslie

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so now the coach is a clown?

you're an idiot.

The jury is still out on McD and I really don't care if he go lucky with the Bills backing into the playoffs because of a hail mary from Andy Dalton.

And it's very telling that he's making all these sudden coaching changes. Obviously trying to surround himself with spineless jellyfish that won't question 'the process'.

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

The jury is still out on McD and I really don't care if he go lucky with the Bills backing into the playoffs because of a hail mary from Andy Dalton.

And it's very telling that he's making all these sudden coaching changes. Obviously trying to surround himself with spineless jellyfish that won't question 'the process'.

go find another team. from this day forward I don't see you as a bills fan yet nothing more than a glorified troll stinking this board up.

as a long tenured vet of this board would say

AliveSoftAztecant.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

You used to have comical posts, now these are just stupid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If I’m McDermott I’m hiring Leslie Frazier’s potential successor now. Because after another season with that sort of defensive performance, I see him getting looks. 

This was my thought as well. Butler had been thought of as a coach with a bright future and with DC potential as early as last year. Byrd may not have that same potential and/or may have no interest in being a DC. Having continuity in place if Frazier gets looked at for HC opportunities next year is a good idea. He did a really good job last year imo with lack of big time talent.

20 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

doug flutie would like to go over what a hail mary throw is.  

58 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors lately? 

Every move McDermott has made that left you scratching your head (with one glaring exception) has worked out. So I'm at the point that I trust him to do what's right for our team, no matter how strange it looks from the outside. Trading Sammy and Darby during camp sure did, but it worked out.

3 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Explain the wade and Ronnie jones thing

Ronnie Jones is why all front offices should have hire approval and fire capability; it is bad enough to pay an incompetent coach but to have to keep the coach or lose other good coaches is terrible.

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The worst coach on this staff is Castillo.

Agree.

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you're an idiot.

He is a troll; idiots are the ones who thought he had inside info.

18 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors lately? 

I hope not!   Sometimes in fires old batteries leak poisonous fumes.

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This firing, and subsequent hiring, fit right into the McD/Beane M.O.

They did it enough with players so not surprising with coaches.

It is Jim Overdorf's turn.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now we know why Byrd was fired. McDermott's buddy from high school who happens to be a secondary coach needed a job. Nothing to see here, I would wager half of positional coaches in the NFL simply know the right person, and that's being conservative.

If this is the case the money for the contract should come out of the coach's contract.