Bills hire John Butler as secondary coach

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now we know why Byrd was fired. McDermott's buddy from high school who happens to be a secondary coach needed a job. Nothing to see here, I would wager half of positional coaches in the NFL simply know the right person, and that's being conservative.

It's also possible that similar to the roster, HC's aren't always able to fill out their coaching staff exactly how the wanted to in Year 1. It wouldn't surprise me that in the case of Dennison, he probably knew he wouldn't be back. He was the 3rd choice I believe? It appears Butler has strong credentials, having a familiarity with McD makes him all the more attractive a candidate to add to the staff.

35 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Every move McDermott has made that left you scratching your head (with one glaring exception) has worked out. So I'm at the point that I trust him to do what's right for our team, no matter how strange it looks from the outside. Trading Sammy and Darby during camp sure did, but it worked out.

The only right move he made last year was benching TT for NP. However then he made another stupid move by not keeping NP as the starter the rest of the season and going back to TT.

2 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

The only right move he made last year was benching TT for NP. However then he made another stupid move by not keeping NP as the starter the rest of the season and going back to TT.

You just keep telling yourself that. dude was on pace for 160 interceptions.

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now we know why Byrd was fired. McDermott's buddy from high school who happens to be a secondary coach needed a job. Nothing to see here, I would wager half of positional coaches in the NFL simply know the right person, and that's being conservative.

Hopefully an OL coach went to school with McDermott. 

But jokes aside, Butler is a good coach. 

Part of me is glad to see that McD is not standing pat. On the other hand,  secondary was the least of the teams problems last year, outside of Gaines’ health.  Frankly, I’d like to see more changes to the coaching staff on the offense of side of the ball.   But what I’ve seen written of this Butler guy sounds promising. 

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

From what I've heard about McD, he's easily intimidated by other defensive minds that challenge him and advise on other ways of doing things. So this is probably why he's dumping all the good position coaches and replacing them with yes men types.

Either way nobody can defend this clown for dumping Byrd considering the success this secondary had last year especially with Poyer and Hyde having career seasons under him.

Who did they hire that is considered a "yes man" or spineless jellyfish? 

John Butler is a highly respected coach, and I have never once heard of him being called a yes man or spineless. Quite the opposite, actually. Where are you getting this information from? 

Seems to me that You are 100% purely speculating about something you have absolutely no clue about. 

Also, McDermott is known for his excellent work with secondaries. He's had consistently good secondary play in almost every year as a DC, and has developed some very good young players throughout his career (like Josh Norma, who was a 5th round pick). 

What makes you so positive that Byrd was responsible for the secondary's play? 

McDermott was the one who assembled the entire secondary anyway, and the one who put the successful scheme together that they ran. IMO he deserves a whole lot of credit for their play. 

And how can you say nobody can defend "this clown" when you have absolutely no clue why Byrd was even fired? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

McD and Butler high school teammates, huh?

The amount of nepotism in the NFL is ridiculous.

Let's hope this is an improvement, and not just another friend scratching the back of a friend in the NFL.

Daboll and Butler are both friends of McDermott, but both are smart and respected coaches. I have no issues with the moves. 

18 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Wow.

Well damn, now I feel stupid for even taking you serious. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Have you considered that McD is playing 4D chess with the coaching positions while we're all thinking checkers?  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow.

There was a time when I too wondered... since the season's end SP's done everything shy of posting a picture of himself harassing goats from under a bridge to end any doubt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

The jury is still out on McD and I really don't care if he go lucky with the Bills backing into the playoffs because of a hail mary from Andy Dalton.

And it's very telling that he's making all these sudden coaching changes. Obviously trying to surround himself with spineless jellyfish that won't question 'the process'.

What?! How about he is getting better coaches, or would you prefer Denison.

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

McD and Butler high school teammates, huh?

The amount of nepotism in the NFL is ridiculous.

Let's hope this is an improvement, and not just another friend scratching the back of a friend in the NFL.

Do you know anything about Butler or is your first reaction just to criticize without knowing?

Please elaborate on the amount of nepotism in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow.

I think his older, 14 year old brother hacked his account.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Every move McDermott has made that left you scratching your head (with one glaring exception) has worked out. So I'm at the point that I trust him to do what's right for our team, no matter how strange it looks from the outside. Trading Sammy and Darby during camp sure did, but it worked out.

What exception?

46 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

So when we get sam Darnold are you still going to be fluffing Peterman.

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

Part of me is glad to see that McD is not standing pat. On the other hand,  secondary was the least of the teams problems last year, outside of Gaines’ health.  Frankly, I’d like to see more changes to the coaching staff on the offense of side of the ball.   But what I’ve seen written of this Butler guy sounds promising. 

I think McD is following through with his evaluations and when he can upgrade he will. This gives me even more hope for this team as this shows they really are trying to improve the team in every way instead of just lip service we usually get.

3 hours ago, teef said:

doug flutie would like to go over what a hail mary throw is.  

Actually, to Flutie's credit, his throw went over every member of the Miami defense on that play and landed right in Phelan's hands, so not sure that really qualifies as a true Hail Mary.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes?? Im Not Sure What You Are Refering To?

Pick city...

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What?! How about he is getting better coaches, or would you prefer Denison.

dude. take everything this guy says with a grain of salt. He just sit here and said ...

1 hour ago, Dan said:
1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

.he may be the heir apparent to Frazier......Butler was Penn State DC in 2013 followed by Texans stint and did interview for Niners DC spot in 2016......he's 44 and Leslie is 58...don't know anything about Frazier's plans......Dennison is 60 and Daboll is 43......Byrd was only 56 but perhaps not eventual DC material in McD's view.....slow news day...........

• Like (+1) 2

These are the type of hires a good HC makes.

I fully expect Leslie Frazier to get another shot at HC very soon. This is the sort of guy that can take over if that day comes.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

8 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

What happened with the "if it's not broke don;t fix it idea."

McDermott giving a job to his high school buddy. Why not, because he can, so he does.

..I think it is beyond high school affiliation.....that was 25 years ago and I seriously doubt THAT would be a criterion.....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..I think it is beyond high school affiliation.....that was 25 years ago and I seriously doubt THAT would be a criterion.....

Maybe there are incriminating Polaroids, or he wrote something risqué in his yearbook? 

Ruh Roh

I was a huge McDermott fan until this.

He fires Byrd, who coached the most successful group for the Bills team, and hires his high school pal.

Butler was not a good coach at PSU.

PSU defense regressed when he was DC.  Ironically, he was also high school buds with OB, who hired him first as DB coach, then as DC.

Butler was constantly blaming PSU players for poor defensive efforts rather than taking responsibility.  I hope he's improved, but dont think he has.

Familiarity builds respect.  McD would want to hire someone experienced he knows and respects rather than somebody inexperienced and/or problematic.  Of course you can counter this with Rex Ryan hiring his brother and how much good that did.  But there are always mistakes, such as hiring Rex in the first place. 

I didn’t like the Byrd hiring when it happened because he truly wasn’t well regarded in Tampa. I think I remember one of their bloggers saying he was “not an NFL coach.” I did think he appeared to do a good job in Buffalo this year but it’s hard to say if he was the reason given there is nothing to compare it to - an entirely new personnel group with an entirely new scheme brought in. I will say they played well together after having never played together before, so that’s something. This appears to be a coaching upgrade on the surface, based on the name. 

On 1/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

bookmarking this post for when he gets interviewed next season... 

On 1/30/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ittakestime said:

Looks for what?  Definitely not HC. The league is all about young 

See the news about the colts vacancy? Figured I wouldn’t need to dig this up until next year

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

Perhaps it's been mentioned by another poster somewhere here or in the Byrd thread, but let's not forget McD's specialty is DB. he played it, he coached it and his defenses seem to get the most out of their DBs. Not to say Byrd didn't do a good job here, but I think McDermott is the key for our DBs to continue performing on last year's level.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See the news about the colts vacancy? Figured I wouldn’t need to dig this up until next year

Did he get the job?

I wouldn't put any stock into the interview. He literally is geting a look because Irsay is in desperation mode and he worked for him before.