Going for Garoppolo

saundena

Hey TBD, it's been a while since I posted.  First, let me say that this week as been euphoric.   Despite our many differing opinions on our QB, the coach,  the owner, other posters, and all of the nitty gritty decisions, plays and moments etc that make up a season; isn't it great that we have a place such as TBD to come together and share our love for this team after such a historic weekend!  And historic it was.  We owned the longest professional sports drought in North America!

Now on to my question.  Other than the Bills, I've been paying less attention to football lately (cord cutter, sick of the refs, the Pats*, etc).  So I'm not a phenom concerning the rest of the league.  However, the 49ers turn around hasn't escaped my attention.  Seems like Mr. James Garoppolo could be the real deal.  Now, I haven't watched any of his games, but SF did beat good competition during their final weeks including 3 playoff teams in the Jags, the Titans and the Rams (2 if you consider the the Rams had nothing to play for).  Are they legit with Jimmy G?  Is he the real deal?

I like Tyrod, but I'm not a Tyrod believer in him- and I don't think OBD is either.  If he could consistently give us 300 yards of offense with his legs and arm I'd be happy.  Yards translate into field goals and field position and first downs- all thing that help the defense.   We just haven't generate enough yards against better teams and/or let inferior teams hang around in the 2nd half.  Now, I don't want to turn this into a TT bash- because I am thankful he got us to the playoffs- and some of our issues are certainly on Dennison, but if the front office is really soured on TT and intends to move on from him, do you think they could make a push for Garoppolo?  Would TBD prefer Garoppolo (with a short resume) or Cousins?  What do you think it would cost to get each?

Go Bills- I hope that the fans travel well and outnumber Jags fans 2-1 (which probably won't be hard to do)!

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to shut this down but why in the world would San Francisco let Jimmy G go? I think Aaron Rodgers is more likely at this point.

They aren't.

13 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Niners want Jimmy Garoppolo 'for a long, long time'

As if there were ever any doubt, the 49ers like having Jimmy Garoppolo around. So much so that they intend to lock him up for the long haul this offseason.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

They aren't.

Of course they won’t!! I wasn’t even kidding when I said that I thought it would be easier to get Rodgers. I think the Packers are more likely to look in the mirror and be like “we stink and can’t win again even with Rodgers” than the 49ers are to let Garoppolo go. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to shut this down but why in the world would San Francisco let Jimmy G go? I think Aaron Rodgers is more likely at this point.

I am curious why New England wanted to let someone who seems to be such a promising  prospect go when Brady is at the tail end of his career.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Of course they won’t!! I wasn’t even kidding when I said that I thought it would be easier to get Rodgers. I think the Packers are more likely to look in the mirror and be like “we stink and can’t win again even with Rodgers” than the 49ers are to let Garoppolo go. 

Agreed. But neither is even remotely with the realm of possibility.

Just now, prissythecat said:

I am curious why New England wanted to let someone who seems to be such a promising  prospect go when Brady is at the tail end of his career.

That seems t be a Kraft decision. They couldn’t pay Garoppolo more than Brady and that’s what it was going to take. They had to do one or the other. With that being said I have no idea why they would elect to dump Brissett knowing that to be the case. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Agreed. But neither is even remotely with the realm of possibility.

Of course they aren’t, i was just illustrating how unlikely Garoppolo is. Our time would be better served focusing on Aaron Rodgers. Think about how ridiculous that is?

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Because they can't afford to have two franchise QBs under the cap. As the only way I suspect he'll be kept is through a franchise tag. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That seems t be a Kraft decision. They couldn’t pay Garoppolo more than Brady and that’s what it was going to take. They had to do one or the other. With that being said I have no idea why they would elect to dump Brissett knowing that to be the case. 

Have to think they have a target in this draft they're confident of getting. Somehow, I picture them moving up in the draft high to get one of the QB's. 

I'd love to see them send Brady to Cleveland and draft the next Jeff George. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Of course they aren’t, i was just illustrating how unlikely Garoppolo is. Our time would be better served focusing on Aaron Rodgers. Think about how ridiculous that is?

Yep. No doubt.

27 minutes ago, saundena said:

Hey TBD, it's been a while since I posted.  First, let me say that this week as been euphoric.   Despite our many differing opinions on our QB, the coach,  the owner, other posters, and all of the nitty gritty decisions, plays and moments etc that make up a season; isn't it great that we have a place such as TBD to come together and share our love for this team after such a historic weekend!  And historic it was.  We owned the longest professional sports drought in North America!

Now on to my question.  Other than the Bills, I've been paying less attention to football lately (cord cutter, sick of the refs, the Pats*, etc).  So I'm not a phenom concerning the rest of the league.  However, the 49ers turn around hasn't escaped my attention.  Seems like Mr. James Garoppolo could be the real deal.  Now, I haven't watched any of his games, but SF did beat good competition during their final weeks including 3 playoff teams in the Jags, the Titans and the Rams (2 if you consider the the Rams had nothing to play for).  Are they legit with Jimmy G?  Is he the real deal?

I like Tyrod, but I'm not a Tyrod believer in him- and I don't think OBD is either.  If he could consistently give us 300 yards of offense with his legs and arm I'd be happy.  Yards translate into field goals and field position and first downs- all thing that help the defense.   We just haven't generate enough yards against better teams and/or let inferior teams hang around in the 2nd half.  Now, I don't want to turn this into a TT bash- because I am thankful he got us to the playoffs- and some of our issues are certainly on Dennison, but if the front office is really soured on TT and intends to move on from him, do you think they could make a push for Garoppolo?  Would TBD prefer Garoppolo (with a short resume) or Cousins?  What do you think it would cost to get each?

Go Bills- I hope that the fans travel well and outnumber Jags fans 2-1 (which probably won't be hard to do)!

Great thread, bro!

Niners are my "2nd team". Jimmy Gesus is the real deal, no question about it. But the Niners turnaround goes well beyond the QB position. 

First and foremost, they now how have a very good offensive minded HC in Shanahan. The Falcons offense wasn't the same or quite as potent this year, with essentially the same squad. 

Aside from the QB/HC/offense, their defense is on the verge of becoming one of the elite defenses in the game again. Their front 4 is stout and full of very high draft picks. Foster behind them is an absolute beast (go check out what he did to Fornette). 

They still have some holes to fill before their roster is "complete", but many of those positions can be addressed in later rounds. WR (and probably TE) need to be improved upon, and in defense, the secondary. CB early in round 1, WR in round 2.

As for the Bills pursuing Garrapolo, there's about a .01% chance of any team being able to bring him in. The Niners are sold, and have been since before the trade. They'll do everything they possibly can to lock him up, and by all accounts, he really likes it there. Their future is bright, with or without him, and he knows that. The Seahawks are on the downslide, and the Cards window closed last year. It will be Rams & Niners in the west for the next 5-7 years.

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The idea to trade JG was purely a Kraft thing. BB could have gotten more than a 2nd in return last year, but with Brady closing in on 40, he wanted to hang onto JG as the heir apparent. The thought was that Brady will soon fall off a cliff, and the **Pats would then have an easy decision to move on from him. That didn't happen, but you can bet that teams were calling about both QBs. I'm sure BB went to Kraft with the idea of trading Brady, and was quickly shut down. The guy won 5 championships for them, and Kraft is loyal to that. While it might be the "right" thing to do, in a sense, for that kind of player, it is not the right thing to do as far as building for the future, and you can bet that it rubbed BB the wrong way. Shipping JG off for just a 2nd was a bit of a slap. BB has never been one to side with the player, and many times has sent guys packing while in their prime. Obviously, the QB position is different, but QBs typically do not play at a high level once they hit 40. 

This all sets up BB retiring well before we all may think, which will leave the **Pats realizing that they should have let BB do what he wanted to better set them up for the future. When they're perennial 6-10, 7-9 teams, Kraft will realize his mistake.

Can’t envison the niners letting him walk.  He’s been amazing.  Only silver lining I see is that he has Brady’s agent.  Brady gave the pats a discount his entire career.  I’ve read that his agent wants to break the bank with jimmy.  If they can’t come to an agreement after this season or next season, the niners will likely just franchise him. Best case scenario, imo, is him the niners not wanting to make him the leagues highest paid player.  Sucks that they have boatloads of cap room. Can’t see it happening.

40 minutes ago, Antonio said:

As much as I would like to have Jimmy G here I would reather have our own younger QB from the draft, It would be better for a lot of reasons, starting with cheaper contract so we can build around him. 

He's only 26 and with enough experience about to hit his prime. Salary cap is big enough the 49ers will be able to build around him. They already have RBs and WRs plus a decent TE

54 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And that's highly unlikely either unless someone backs a brinks truck of picks as well as young D talent to the table. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can’t envison the niners letting him walk.  He’s been amazing.  Only silver lining I see is that he has Brady’s agent.  Brady gave the pats a discount his entire career.  I’ve read that his agent wants to break the bank with jimmy.  If they can’t come to an agreement after this season or next season, the niners will likely just franchise him. Best case scenario, imo, is him the niners not wanting to make him the leagues highest paid player.  Sucks that they have boatloads of cap room. Can’t see it happening.

Brady and Giselle are billionaires.. Brady plays because he loves it he doesn't need the money. He married a sugar mama ? 

Jimmy G is having the time of his life.  He's got a great gig in San Fran and isn't going to walk away from it.

And QB-starved San Francisco isn't going to let him walk away.

It's really hard to imagine a realistic scenario that bring Jimmy G to Buffalo.  

Not happening.

49ers need a QB, why would they trade theirs who is undefeated?

I dont want Cousins here and he would never come to Buffalo with open jobs on more competitive rosters and better climates like den, jax, ari, and more press on both ny teams.

We gotta draft ours. I just hope we pick the right one. 

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Jimmy G is having the time of his life.  He's got a great gig in San Fran and isn't going to walk away from it.

And QB-starved San Francisco isn't going to let him walk away.

It's really hard to imagine a realistic scenario that bring Jimmy G to Buffalo.  

Unless, he wants to play the Pats twice a year (?)

2 hours ago, suorangefan4 said:

I still have no idea why he was drafted in the late second round. 

He had great intangibles. Accurate passer with a quick release and scans the field well. Good pocket presence too. I was mad back then when we didn't draft him.

I think it was mostly small school bias and a smallish  frame with small hands. He looked tiny at teh Senior Bowl and East-West game. His numbers were ridiculous, but he was kind of under the radar. That 2014 draft was strange with Bortles going early, Manziel going, Bridgewater and Carr going late. 

Good thing we got Cyrus Kouandjio in that second round though. 

On acquiring Jimmy G, I think the only scenario where this is possible is if they give him the non exclusive franchise tag, and we made him an offer that they would not match. Then you are giving up the two  first round picks, which I would totally do. 

I just don't see why the 49ers would let him get away. It would have to be a huge overpay for a team to pry him away.  

If you are SF would you prefer Jimmy G. or Kirk Cousins and 2 first round picks? 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

I have a hard time seeing SF NOT being able to sign him... but what if? What if they can't get a deal done and he hits the market? I think honestly, Buffalo would be a somewhat attractive destination for him. Hear me out. 

He'd be coming in to a team that just made the playoffs. Not a team in "rebuilding mode." Not a team with a 17-year playoff drought. He'd be coming to a team with a coaching staff already in place that's proved they're winners, and a stable environment. He'd be coming to a team in the same division as the one that traded him. Revenge? It'd be the ultimate way to exorcise the drought forever.... after 17 years of getting beat up and embarrassed by the Pats*.... being able to sign the guy that they stupidly traded away and use him to turn the tables and go on our OWN run of dominance against them? Especially with TB and BB nearing the end of their careers.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:08 AM, saundena said:

I don't think the 49ers traded for Jimmy G with the intention of letting him go to another team.

Cousins believes he's a top-5 QB who is being hampered by the lack of pieces around him.  Chances are he wants a Derek-Carr-like deal.

Niners already said if no long term deal worked out they will franchise him exclusive and continue to work on a long term deal up to the July deadline. You know all those excuses for low attendance at Santa Clara about not enough shade too hot travel etc etc......puuufff they are gone. Expect sellouts here on out.

If no deal next year and he plays as good as he has. You can bet your last dollar they will exclusive franchise him again.

If Niners would be dumb enough to at anytime this yr place the non exclusive franchise tag on him, 60% of the Leagues teams would make a great offer to Grapps and happily give up two #1's for him. Bills included I would bet.

Hell if Brady's tight achy achilles shreads during the playoffs, Belicheck would be back on Grapps if Niners non exclusive him.

Edited by cba fan

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Jimmy G a FA? I don’t recall a sign & Trade to send him to SF. If so, then to quote ‘the Rock’, “IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!” SF. He can go anywhere he wants.

No?

He'll be tagged by the 49ers at worst, but they are committed to making him their QB for a long time. No shot he'll be in Buffalo or anywhere else. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Jimmy G a FA? I don’t recall a sign & Trade to send him to SF. If so, then to quote ‘the Rock’, “IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!” SF. He can go anywhere he wants.

No?

He is.  But the odds are SF will F Tag him.  

• Like (+1) 1