[Vague Title]Can someone seriously tell me

Watkins90

5 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

How Wade Phillips let Ralph Wilson convince him to start Rob Johnson in that playoff game against Tennessee? Like come on Wade, Doug played the entire season and you let the owner see one good, but meaningless game control your coaching decisions?

Simple answer. Your boss give you an order, you follow it or become quickly unemployed. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

How Wade Phillips let Ralph Wilson convince him to start Rob Johnson in that playoff game against Tennessee? Like come on Wade, Doug played the entire season and you let the owner see one good, but meaningless game control your coaching decisions?

When your boss tells you to do something, and you say 'no' and do your own thing, there is a chance you get fired.  I'd imagine this was the fear for Wade.  Ralph was a meddling owner.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

1) Johnson left the field with the lead.

2) Flutie was in a serious funk toward the end of that season. His little pixie hop pass fake? Defenses weren't getting fooled by it anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine if you will if Peterman had put up 35 points in that Chargers game instead of 5 interceptions in just 2 quarters.:lol:   Better yet, make it the Patriots game.

Flutie was brutal all season.........he lost two games AT HOME to non-playoff teams that year... that's how they ended up on the road in the playoffs despite having the top defense in the entire NFL.......and he struggled mightily to pass the ball and put points on the board despite quite a lot of offensive talent.

It was a pretty easy choice really.........with Rob Johnson they felt they had a chance to beat anyone in a year when the SB was up for grabs..........including the #2 seed Colts who they had just slaughtered with Johnson at QB in a meaningful game for the Colts.

With Flutie they were going to lose to THE FIRST TEAM they met in the playoffs that was willing to just contain him in the pocket and "make him be a QB".   

That may or may not have been in Tennessee........but it would have inevitably happened in Indy or Jax.......teams with more passive defenses.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Can someone please tell me why we gave Chris Kelsay that massive contract?

Why are you debating some of Buddy's ingenious moves? After all, Ralph knew he was the most qualified because he didn't know any of the other names on the list.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

57 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

like mcdermitt convincing Paluga that drafting Dashawn Watson at 10 woukd not be a good  move 

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1) Johnson left the field with the lead.

2) Flutie was in a serious funk toward the end of that season. His little pixie hop pass fake? Defenses weren't getting fooled by it anymore.

IIRC Johnson had a good game.  Who knew that the forward lateral was legal on that particular day.

It was the right call, even in hindsight. 

I will also never forget RJ in that regular season finale against the Colts. It was an absolute clinic; he looked like an all-pro QB. I can see why Ralph or wade or whoever thought he should start the WC game.

Then he played a very solid game on the road against a ferocious Tennessee defense (one that hadnt lost at home, as I recall), and got us the W before the you know what. 

29 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Johnson did not have a good game.   He was 10/22 131 yards 0 TDs.  Sacked 6 times and was safetied once.

BOOYA!  BOOM!  IN YO FACE!  

Some people on these boards are delusional.  

Great job Smak!

• Like (+1) 1

Flutie is the most overrated QB in Bills history. He had one good season with the team, and 1999 (the season leading up to the Tennessee game) wasn’t it. Yet people cry over him getting benched like he was Jim Kelly in his prime. Crazy.

42 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Johnson did not have a good game.   He was 10/22 131 yards 0 TDs.  Sacked 6 times and was safetied once.

Wow, penetrating analysis there.  

RJ was a warrior that day, period.  I thought he played an excellent game under duress all day.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, KW95 said:

BOOYA!  BOOM!  IN YO FACE!  

Some people on these boards are delusional.  

Great job Smak!

he had the game won! cover the kick and it's over....but yet almost 20 years later people are saying it was a stupid move....makes me wonder how old some of these posters actually were then....

5 minutes ago, KW95 said:

The defence had the game won.  He did jack shi.t.  Did you read his stat line?  let me post it again.

10/22 131 yards 0 TDs.  Sacked 6 times and was safetied once.  This could pass as Taylor Stats 2017

In the last two minutes of a playoff game, on the road, against a very good team (that went on to fall one yard short of winning the super bowl), Johnson led the Bills to, what should have been, a game winning drive. That is why we evaluate the actual plays on the field, rather than just the box score....

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

In the last two minutes of a playoff game, on the road, against a very good team (that went on to fall one yard short of winning the super bowl), Johnson led the Bills to, what should have been, a game winning drive. That is why we evaluate the actual plays on the field, rather than just the box score....

Hence why I wrote:  THE DEFENSE HAD THE GAME WON.

So if not for that last drive, his stats would have been even worse!

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

Also as a courtesy to other board members, please do not start stupid threads. Thank you

• Like (+1) 1

Rob Johnson wasn't as bad as people remember. He'll always be hated by bills fans for the music city miracle, but if you go watch the 2000 season highlights, he really wasn't THAT bad. He definitely wasn't mobile and wasn't perfect by any means. But I'd actually say he was a fairly good pocket passer. Dare I say better than Tyrod? 

5 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Hence why I wrote:  THE DEFENSE HAD THE GAME WON.

So if not for that last drive, his stats would have been even worse!

If Johnson had to lead the team to a game winning drive, then the defense obviously did NOT have the game won. Pretty simple concept....

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Rob Johnson wasn't as bad as people remember. He'll always be hated by bills fans for the music city miracle, but if you go watch the 2000 season highlights, he really wasn't THAT bad. He definitely wasn't mobile and wasn't perfect by any means. But I'd actually say he was a fairly good pocket passer. Dare I say better than Tyrod? 

Only Bills fans are reduced to the debate of who is better, Tyrod Taylor or Rob Johnson?  That is pathetic..

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Can you seriously tell me when you’re going to learn the quidelines for starting a thread?

[Vague Title]

As evidenced by all who clearly recall that season, a change at QB was necessary and very nearly worked out. Some will argue -much better than you- that it Did work out, sans poor refereeing.

10 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

Flutie sucked. His wing was worn out and he was finished for the season.