More from obd

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

and how is McDermott capable of overruling Beane? Does Beane need his permission?

Look at it this way: Beane is your typical HR guy, and McDermott is the Hiring Manager. HR finds the applicants that fit the bill of need and McDermott makes the call on whether that person is the right fit for the team. So, if HR and HM disagree on a guy do you think HR would get upset that HM didn't want a guy that wouldn't gel with the other workers?

Just now, ROONDOGG55 said:

Look at it this way: Beane is your typical HR guy, and McDermott is the Hiring Manager. HR finds the applicants that fit the bill of need and McDermott makes the call on whether that person is the right fit for the team. So, if HR and HM disagree on a guy do you think HR would get upset that HM didn't want a guy that wouldn't gel with the other workers?

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work though. Yeah, input from the HC is important, but in the end, it's the GM's job to field a quality team, it's the coaches job to get them to win.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lets suffice it to say   I used to believe people all the time.  After looking like a complete ass for doing so, I take most everything with a grain of salt.  

Venture over to Off the Wall.  You'll see why my post count is so high here.    FWIW ...  I usually average 15 posts a day and have done so for decades, even before the D&C forums. 

25 - 30 miles   God's Country 

Yeah, really like it here. There is so much to do in all directions. More impressed with the cost of living and how close it is to higher paying jobs. Makes the commute completely worth it.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Not liking what I’m hearing about McD...doesn’t sound too bright...we finally get a GM that knows how to operate, and it turns out the HC is the one holding us back, if all this is true.

Then we are in trouble...because i think Beane is the smarter of the two.

..can't have the tail wagging the dog.....would think Beane is in charge at the end of the day.............

1 hour ago, Dunkirk Don said:

•  
  • Dunkirk Don
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Update on front office rift. As reported yesterday, bean very upset that McDermott unwilling to part with marginal players that will not be on roster next year for a third round comp pick.  A third round pick is a valuable asset. There is more to the story. On the same day we traded for Benjamin, Beane had worked out a deal to trade Glenn to Seattle for fourth rounder and Paul Richardson and at last minute McDermott vetoed the trade.  Beane knew Seattle would pay up for Glenn because they had a real need and were desperate to protect Wilson and playoff run. Words exchanged.  Beane knows now Bills may be stuck with glennn due to injury.  Glenn currently could not pass physical and Beane knows he cannot get any real value in return now from Glenn.  Word is the Buffalo brass is concerned that Glenn injury is chronic and he may never fully recover and may have to take huge cap hit and nothing in return.  On the Kansas City front.  It was reported yesterday, bills seeking player and kc in desperate need of picks.  Kc may have mortgage future.  Reid felt they were close this year but season turned on him.  Chiefs not seeking first round but second round pick.  Bills unwilling to part with either second but would package third and lower round picks.  Player not known but it is not Kelce.   Stadium location is not Batavia and no state funds are involved.  Bonds may be sold to raise revenues.building to start in 2022 with opening in 2024.  New era college bowl game real possibility 

You know, I was kinda glad when (for a while) the leaks stopped.  I didn't think they were a good look.  If any of this is legit, someone needs to call a freakin' plumber to OBD.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

So who is the GM....Beane or McDermott? This is why you hire a GM first and let the GM pick the coach...If McDermott is overruling Beane this team is in trouble.

Whoever is in charge, if the GM wants to trade players in the middle of the season, he had best be willing to listen to the coach, or the team is in trouble.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work though. Yeah, input from the HC is important, but in the end, it's the GM's job to field a quality team, it's the coaches job to get them to win.

This is also true, but how effective would a team be if you didn't want a certain type of player on the field? Not saying that was the situation that we are discussing, but you can't have a guy fielding players, or taking players at will. There needs to be a mutual agreement for their relationship to be long term and effective. If these allegations are true, then this is an example of a healthy relationship in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

Interesting about the Glenn trade - no trade - as many speculated that he would be gone. Also, I think at the time - unfortunately - many fans, including myself would have been upset by trading what was a blue-chip LT for a WR about to be a FA and a 4th round pick. However, in hindsight - which can't factor into the decision - it would have been best. But, I responded to a Tweet by Joe Buscaglia that it could be the Bills are essentially shutting Glenn down in hopes he can get healthy enough to be traded in Off-season.

I think that's what's going on with both Glenn and Miller - keep 'em in the garage, keep 'em dent free.

OTC speculates that Glenn's $2M roster bonuses are for being active on game day.  He has no guaranteed salary on the books next year, but of course in case of injury it would be typical for salary to be guaranteed.

Cap hit next year (cut or trade) $9.6M.

17 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

I’m more wary of the guy with 7,500 posts in nine months. Whatever he’s selling, I assume he buys pixels by the barrel. 

That's not bad compared to the precious few who are known to post more than one hundred times a day.

15 minutes ago, klos63 said:

and how is McDermott capable of overruling Beane? Does Beane need his permission?

The GM doesn't report to the HC or vice versa. They work together and I have no doubt there are frequent personnel disagreements.

GM's are planning for the future and HC's want to win now. Sometimes those perspectives run contrary to each other, like when the GM knows this team is closer to being a rebuild and the coach can't go that route because he's under the gun now to win. It sounds like Beane is trying to pull McDermott to rebuilding more and accumulating picks to do so by dealing away Glenn.

Coach McD, at the trade deadline, had a 5-2 team, so I can see he was unwilling to let another quality player like Glenn out the door for a pick who doesn't help him win.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

But to be fair, you can have a heavy disagreement and not necessarily "fall out"....as in irreparable damage to the relationship. Maybe it is, maybe it's not....if it's two reasonable men, you can have a strong disagreement, stew for a day or two and move on....

I agree with this. My boss and I have huge disagreements all the time. 20 mins later were fine. 

A 4th and Richardson for Glenn. That's tough. Didn't the texans get a 2 for brown?

I would love to keep Cordy but I too think his feet aren't going to get better

The comp pick thing is annoying. People may not love Holmes, Ducasse, Dimarco and Davis but they needed to cut three of them by week 10 to get the comp pick. Dimarco has the famous bad play in LA but he’s the only FB on the team and he’s part of the offense and run game. People may hate Ducasse but John miller has been hurt. He’s the other RG. Davis is now having to start with Shaq out and playing very well. Holmes is out there in place of KB when he’s hurt (all the time). You may think it’s easy to slot in guys off the street or PS players for depth but it’s not. These guys spent all offseason and season with the team and know what they are doing. To get rid of 3 of them mid season for a late 3rd in a draft where you are already rich with picks and still trying to make the playoffs would be weird for this team that already is thin in the depth dept imo. If it was just one, that’s different. Jmo

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They might well have disagreed on a single decision.  That is not a rift.  

And depending upon the personalities of the two and their working relationship, disagreements can involve shouting and pounding on desks and still not mean rift.

In the business of football, there are going to be disagreements between coach and GM.  It's part of the game.  It's (IMO) the constant magnifying glass where if (say) Whaley wanted to cut FredEx in favor of McCoy and Karlos (who did have a great rookie season) and the coach wanted to keep him, OMG OMG RIFT! Going Rogue! and it's all up in the national media.  That needed to stop, and it was good (IMO) that it did.    I repeat, someone at OBD needs to call a plumber

Just now, Roch-A-Bill said:

Yeah, this has been a really tightly-run ship - for that reason I don't find it credible. If there's anything to this rumor, the leaker's going to be hunted down and fired.

I tend to agree. 

[checks twitter for a Lacanfora exclusive on front office rift in Buffalo per source close to the team]

39 minutes ago, horned dogs said:
1 hour ago, Hurricane said:

The Redskins franchised him twice already. Aren't teams only allowed 2 times for that?

That's what I thought as well. Anybody?

I thought the same, but they can do it for a 3rd time.   Its a hourly subject this time of the season and it continues until camp begins, at which time it turns into why did they do that?! He would have been cheaper to give him $100M 3 years ago on a 4 or 5 year deal!

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I tend to agree. 

[checks twitter for a Lacanfora exclusive on front office rift in Buffalo per source close to the team]

Sources: Chasm between Bills coaches, front office on ...

forums.twobillsdrive.com › Archives › The Stadium Wall Archive

I find it very odd that there was nothing leaking. Not even a tidbit of information since McDermott and Beane came in. Nothing for months! Hell you can't even get a good straight answer in their press conferences but yet, all of a sudden there's so much being leaked about who they want to trade, how bad injuries are, the coach and GM are having problems, a new stadium will be operational in 2024 and hurry up and buy land around where it will be but he won't tell you where that is exactly, etc. etc. etc. even though he's happy to tell you that he bought up land as part of an investment group. All from one member who joined a month ago. He's apparently an older person with a decent job and a Bills fan but just joined. Knew people personally that formerly worked for the Bills but no one ever heard of this guy until a month ago.

There wasn't this much information coming out all at once EVER! Not even when it was provided by members that were considered to be people with some legitimate limited knowledge.

But many members who I assume are intelligent people buy whatever he says, hook, line and sinker and he's been a member here for a month. Unbelievable!

• Like (+1) 3

If the Bills feel that Glenn's injury is going to be "chronic", why is he still on the active roster?  Why isn't he on IR and rehabbing so he can get as healthy as possible so that the Bills could trade him -- if they're actually interested in trading him?   As others have noted, Glenn was unlikely to pass a physical back in October because he wasn't playing much then because of his injuries.  Just because the Bills traded for an injured player (Benjamin) doesn't mean that Seattle would have done the same. 

Moreover,  Glenn's injury is NOT a single injury IIRC but apparently at least two separate injuries, one to each foot/ankle.  That does not necessarily mean that one or both are "chronic", and AFAIK, the Bills have not said publicly and explicitly what his injuries are (teams never do).  Foot/ankle injuries in athletes are always problematical and tend to take a long time to heal whether surgery is invovled or not. 

IMO the sum and substance of the OP's "inside information" seems to be little more than a rehash of a lot of opinions floated on this MB and not real "inside information" at all.  If the OP truly has a "source", then that "source" is leading him on.  For example, the OP's claims about disagreement between Bean and McDermott  about cutting "marginal" players for compensatory picks and Beane being worried about Glenn's "huge cap hit" sounds like the BS that was constantly raised on this MB (and probably others, too) earlier in the fall.   It just doesn't ring true, even for a dysfunctional organization like the Bills have been for this entire century.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this is friggen hilarious. Some people will believe anything.  

Stadium location is not Batavia 

See what a little trolling does?   I posted this trash yesterday and see how far its gone!!!!!  It has been used in 3 threads in the last 12 hours.  

Oh BTW the Washington Redskins are changing their name to the RedHawks 

funny stuff 

I'll have to think up another good one people might buy into 

We get it, you don't like the guy.  No need for you to continue on with this, your point has been made.

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

We get it, you don't like the guy.  No need for you to continue on with this, your point has been made.

A bit overstated Magox.   

I don't believe his "info" at this time.    If he's right I'm the fool.   No worries on your part.   

You know ... I was wrong. What was annoying now is fun. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

58 minutes ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

This is also true, but how effective would a team be if you didn't want a certain type of player on the field? Not saying that was the situation that we are discussing, but you can't have a guy fielding players, or taking players at will. There needs to be a mutual agreement for their relationship to be long term and effective. If these allegations are true, then this is an example of a healthy relationship in my opinion.

But who has the ultimate authority over the roster and trades?  Someone needs to make final call.  Kim?

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Someone is becoming a very  annoying poster 

unwilling to part with marginal players? 

what a load 

So there is a chance? 

Don't you know everytime you argue with anyone in your life you never want to talk to them again and hold a grudge for the rest of your life?  Could you imagine how this would pan out in real life is this is what happened?  I'm all for open discussion and talking through things. If two people always think alike, one of them is not needed.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lets suffice it to say   I used to believe people all the time.  After looking like a complete ass for doing so, I take most everything with a grain of salt.  

As do I. I don’t know any of you people. Far as I really know, this entire board could be me and SDS’s 10,000 alt accounts. But there has been enough truth to enough instances of “inside information” here that I neither believe it nor dismiss it right away. Just file it away with a “huh, interesting. well, we’ll see soon enough.”

I like McDermotts drive and determination, but if we are relying on him to be the brains of the operation then we are in big trouble. He comes off like a dumb jock that has watched too many Rocky movies. That's fine for a football coach but don't expect him to make franchise changing decisions like these.

If they got rid of Glenn and a bunch of nobodies we would have had an extra 3rd and 4th. It's an absolute no brainer. If they got rid of Tyrod at the beginning of the year we might have had a 3rd or 4th for him too who knows. At that point we would have had enough ammo to trade up to the top of the draft and get Josh Rosen and then sign Bradford or another vet and your QB situation is fixed. Now we get nothing for these nobody players.

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

•  
  • Dunkirk Don
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Update on front office rift. As reported yesterday, bean very upset that McDermott unwilling to part with marginal players that will not be on roster next year for a third round comp pick.  A third round pick is a valuable asset. There is more to the story. On the same day we traded for Benjamin, Beane had worked out a deal to trade Glenn to Seattle for fourth rounder and Paul Richardson and at last minute McDermott vetoed the trade.  Beane knew Seattle would pay up for Glenn because they had a real need and were desperate to protect Wilson and playoff run. Words exchanged.  Beane knows now Bills may be stuck with glennn due to injury.  Glenn currently could not pass physical and Beane knows he cannot get any real value in return now from Glenn.  Word is the Buffalo brass is concerned that Glenn injury is chronic and he may never fully recover and may have to take huge cap hit and nothing in return.  On the Kansas City front.  It was reported yesterday, bills seeking player and kc in desperate need of picks.  Kc may have mortgage future.  Reid felt they were close this year but season turned on him.  Chiefs not seeking first round but second round pick.  Bills unwilling to part with either second but would package third and lower round picks.  Player not known but it is not Kelce.   Stadium location is not Batavia and no state funds are involved.  Bonds may be sold to raise revenues.building to start in 2022 with opening in 2024.  New era college bowl game real possibility 

My friends say None of the Glenn stuff is true. 

Seattle did offer a small Package of Picks and Beane said No immediately. However Beane also had a deal worked out for a conditional mid round pick for Henderson and McD didnt agree because of the unkown of Glenn so the trade never happened. 

He did say though Glenn will be dealt in the offseason probably closer to the draft and that the Bills are hoping he can get in the field in the final weeks to showcase he is healthy to maximize his value. The INJ itself never fully healed and he rushed back. However the trade in the offseason will be less about the INJ and more the showing of Dawkins (smaller cap hit). Bills hoping to use Glenn to gain more flexibility in the draft. 

My buddy did confirm that the Bills did try to get a player from KC prior to the deadline (wouldnt eleborate on who) because are going to try again in the offseason. Said player has fallen out of favor in KC I am guessing it is Marcus Peters 

• Like (+1) 1

if anything don from dunkirk is doing a fine job leading some on but at this point until a link to this breaking news appears I see it as nothing more than trolling while stirring the pot with many falling for it.

my question to don is have you ever done any perch fishing off the pier there in dunkirk? love me some deep fried perch.

2015-02-05-trollersTroll-thumb.jpg

I wont be worried about being accused of calling the OP out as a troll since he has zero sources to back up his stories. next time give sources and you'll be more respected.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

My friends say None of the Glenn stuff is true. 

Seattle did offer a small Package of Picks and Beane said No immediately. However Beane also had a deal worked out for a conditional mid round pick for Henderson and McD didnt agree because of the unkown of Glenn so the trade never happened. 

He did say though Glenn will be dealt in the offseason probably closer to the draft and that the Bills are hoping he can get in the field in the final weeks to showcase he is healthy to maximize his value. The INJ itself never fully healed and he rushed back. However the trade in the offseason will be less about the INJ and more the showing of Dawkins (smaller cap hit). Bills hoping to use Glenn to gain more flexibility in the draft. 

My buddy did confirm that the Bills did try to get a player from KC prior to the deadline (wouldnt eleborate on who) because are going to try again in the offseason. Said player has fallen out of favor in KC I am guessing it is Marcus Peters 

Marcus Peters? A CB who doesn't like tackling and is a me first player. Nope. That's not what they are building.

3 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I wont be worried about being accused of calling the OP out as a troll since he has zero sources to back up his stories. next time give sources and you'll be more respected.

Zero sources?  He IS the source!

• Haha (+1) 1