State of the Team

OldTimer1960

QB is a big problem, but it is nowhere near the biggest problem.

The defense has absolutely had the bottom drop out and that isn't due to whomever is playing QB.  The front 7 must be completely rebuilt.  Kyle Williams is aging and will retire and Jerry Hughes is making way too much money to have as little impact as he has had.  Preston Brown might be a starting MLB on a defense with a good DL and there are no other starting caliber LBs on this team. Beyond that, it is hard to know why to make of the secondary with no pass rush and horrible run D.

On offense, it hurt a lot for Benjamin to get hurt and Mathews has yet to be really healthy.  Missing Clay has been a big problem as well.  Yet, as bad as the receiving corp has been decimated, the OL is a bigger problem.  I did wonder if the run game struggles were due to defenses not having to worry about Taylor throwing even a mid-level pass, but today they allowed a complete jail break when Peterman was in.  Now, I am not sure if Taylor isn't taking chances in the passing game or if he has been making a terrible OL look better than they are.  On the flip side, did the OL get crushed because of the change from the ultra-Mobil Taylor?

whatever the case, it is clear that the defense is a humongous mess that HAS to be fixed before any talk of competitiveness is warranted.  The OL also MUST be fixed as well.  Yet, without hope at QB, what have you got?

A case could be mad to spend their 5 top 3 round picks on defense and OL, but the draft is also the only realistic place to find a decent QB that will give the team a chance.

What can they do in the offseason?  If they package picks for a QB, then the need to spend remaining picks and FA to give the drafted QB an OL and some threats at receiver.  If you do that, this wreck of a defense will still be giving up 40 points per game.  

Yet, if you spend your resources on defense, the offense will still be a mess.

I am not sure what they should do, but I expect an exodus of highly paid vets that are no longer helping - Kyle Williams to retirement, Jerry Hughes to be cut, Cordy Glenn to go in FA, Eric Wood to be let go...  What a mess!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The defense has absolutely had the bottom drop out and that isn't due to whomever is playing QB.  The front 7 must be completely rebuilt.  Kyle Williams is aging and will retire and Jerry Hughes is making way too much money to have as little impact as he has had.  Preston Brown might be a starting MLB on a defense with a good DL and there are no other starting caliber LBs on this team. Beyond that, it is hard to know why to make of the secondary with no pass rush and horrible run D.

On offense, it hurt a lot for Benjamin to get hurt and Mathews has yet to be really healthy.  Missing Clay has been a big problem as well.  Yet, as bad as the receiving corp has been decimated, the OL is a bigger problem.  I did wonder if the run game struggles were due to defenses not having to worry about Taylor throwing even a mid-level pass, but today they allowed a complete jail break when Peterman was in.  Now, I am not sure if Taylor isn't taking chances in the passing game or if he has been making a terrible OL look better than they are.  On the flip side, did the OL get crushed because of the change from the ultra-Mobil Taylor?

whatever the case, it is clear that the defense is a humongous mess that HAS to be fixed before any talk of competitiveness is warranted.  The OL also MUST be fixed as well.  Yet, without hope at QB, what have you got?

A case could be mad to spend their 5 top 3 round picks on defense and OL, but the draft is also the only realistic place to find a decent QB that will give the team a chance.

What can they do in the offseason?  If they package picks for a QB, then the need to spend remaining picks and FA to give the drafted QB an OL and some threats at receiver.  If you do that, this wreck of a defense will still be giving up 40 points per game.  

I am not sure what they should do, but I expect an exodus of highly paid vets that are no longer helping - Kyle Williams to retirement, Jerry Hughes to be cut, Cordy Glenn to go in FA, Eric Wood to be let go...  What a mess!

Well on the topic of letting players go. Eric Wood because of the insane extension and guaranteed money handed out by Mc Beane is not  going anywhere. Cordy is not the first good LT to ever be injured. Who is his replacement? Dawkins? No way. Jettisoning players and signing Carolina's trash is not a process. It is stupidity. 

It is going to take more than one offseason. I say focus on Qb in the draft and oline with remaining draft picks and target some good interior lineman in free agency. After we have a QB and oline in place we can worry about a defence the following year. 

There is no way I am bring a rookie Qb in behind this line though. 

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

How much  time you got ole timer, I’m as old as you, never gonna see it in my life

Edited by Helpmenow

2 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

How much  time you got ole timer, I’m as old as you, never gonna see it in my life

Sadly, I think you are right...

At this point, I would stay with Beane and McDemott - they inherited a mess and at least they seem to have some vision for what they want in the future.  They want a TEAM that is built first on competitiveness and effort and team-first attitude.  That is similar to what Bill Bellichek has built in NE.  Certainly, Bellicheck has benefitted by having HOFer Brady, but still the rest of their team embodies the ideals that McDermott is after...

5 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Sadly, I think you are right...

At this point, I would stay with Beane and McDemott - they inherited a mess and at least they seem to have some vision for what they want in the future.  They want a TEAM that is built first on competitiveness and effort and team-first attitude.  That is similar to what Bill Bellichek has built in NE.  Certainly, Bellicheck has benefitted by having HOFer Brady, but still the rest of their team embodies the ideals that McDermott is after...

They inherited a talented roster that was a good coach and defensive coordinator away from a serious playoff push.

They proceeded to gut the roster and ruin last year's 7th-best offense while making no improvements whatsoever on defense.

The excuses need to end.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Avisan said:

They inherited a talented roster that was a good coach and defensive coordinator away from a serious playoff push.

They proceeded to gut the roster and ruin last year's 7th-best offense while making no improvements whatsoever on defense.

The excuses need to end.

Quoted for truth.  

McBean fully owns the mess that this team is in.  The team they inherited wasn't playing nearly as poorly, nor was it devoid of tallent until they cut/traded them all away.   

Think about it.

They gutted FO and scouting departments and let the guy who just made the decision to play Peterman at this specific point in time lead the rebuild of that.

We fear 20 years? This can reach 30 easily

I'm being dramatic obviously, but just wow. I don't trust any of these guys judgment over there.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

They just need to sit down as a family and have some turkey dinner. Everything is fine. 

Big Slow receivers running across the middle of the field wide open is all apart of the process. How many times have we seen that in the past two weeks with Thomas and Allen!?

yikes man yikes

2 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Old, devoid of talent, injury prone. Wake me up for the draft please.

What’s weird is that this team is so old. I could stomach a beat down if it was young guys learning and who had a bright future. The current roster though will inevitably have to be overhauled at nearly every major position, except maybe CB. That will just add like 3 years to a 3-year rebuilding plan. 

I can excuse the defense because it was bad when they took over. Lorenzo Alexander and Kyle Williams have hit the wall, Shaq Lawson is not playing close to a 1st round pick, and you can point to the Dareus trade but I think we grab Star Lotulelei in free agency. The defense was always going to be a 2 year minimum rebuilding project. They fixed the secondary this year which is impressive, but the front 7 needs to be started over from scratch.

The dismantling of our top 10 scoring offense however is unforgivable. If McDermott doesn’t fire Dennison how can he look his players in the eyes? Bench Tyrod and preach accountability, but the guy who ruined the offense is shielded from blame.

7 hours ago, Avisan said:

The excuses need to end.

Serious playoff push? We had like the easiest schedule in the league last year and won 7 games. We had like no cap room because of this so called playoff roster.  People wanted to franchise Gilmore this year, and Watkins because apparently cap space grows on trees.  

Glenn and dareus are two of the worst contracts in the league.  For what they are paid they should be approaching all-pro status.  

All im saying is why keep a proven loser together?   Blow it up, get a qb, and get the right players to build around.  The core here was expensive and vastly overrated.

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Serious playoff push? We had like the easiest schedule in the league last year and won 7 games. We had like no cap room because of this so called playoff roster.  People wanted to franchise Gilmore this year, and Watkins because apparently cap space grows on trees.  

Glenn and dareus are two of the worst contracts in the league.  For what they are paid they should be approaching all-pro status.  

All im saying is why keep a proven loser together?   Blow it up, get a qb, and get the right players to build around.  The core here was expensive and vastly overrated.

This is sorely revisionist.  This team had a top offense and good defensive personnel being held back by bad coaching.  A lot of the same guys that thrived under Schwartz were struggling under Rex.  We KNOW the talent was there.

Do you remember how we would have had Watkins for pretty cheap if we'd just picked up his 5th-year option?  Because I do.

Our cap space was limited, but fine.  Other teams manage with far worse situations than ours without gutting all of the young talent on their roster.  Glenn's contract is fine, too-- left tackles are expensive to keep.  Just the nature of the business.  When he's been in good schemes, he's been a monster in the run game and an above-average pass-blocker.  We've been dramatically more successful running to the left than anywhere else since we've drafted him.  Dareus was absolutely overpaid, but still an effective player with elite potential.  It is the coaching staff's job to get those players to turn potential into production.  Jacksonville traded for Dareus and immediately improved in the run defense game by 3 yards per attempt.  That obviously isn't ALL Dareus, but he's a big part of that.

We didn't have a proven loser.  We had a talented roster that everybody thought was a good coach away from the playoffs.  Pretending otherwise now that The Process is imploding is just disingenuous.

Edited by Avisan

3 hours ago, Avisan said:

This is sorely revisionist.  This team had a top offense and good defensive personnel being held back by bad coaching.  A lot of the same guys that thrived under Schwartz were struggling under Rex.  We KNOW the talent was there.

Do you remember how we would have had Watkins for pretty cheap if we'd just picked up his 5th-year option?  Because I do.

Our cap space was limited, but fine.  Other teams manage with far worse situations than ours without gutting all of the young talent on their roster.  Glenn's contract is fine, too-- left tackles are expensive to keep.  Just the nature of the business.  When he's been in good schemes, he's been a monster in the run game and an above-average pass-blocker.  We've been dramatically more successful running to the left than anywhere else since we've drafted him.  Dareus was absolutely overpaid, but still an effective player with elite potential.  It is the coaching staff's job to get those players to turn potential into production.  Jacksonville traded for Dareus and immediately improved in the run defense game by 3 yards per attempt.  That obviously isn't ALL Dareus, but he's a big part of that.

We didn't have a proven loser.  We had a talented roster that everybody thought was a good coach away from the playoffs.  Pretending otherwise now that The Process is imploding is just disingenuous.

Jacksonville played Cincinnati and Cleveland in that span.  Dareus was paid to do it all, not stuff the run.  How much more was he paid than Damon Harrison or Brandon Williams for similar production.  Conditioning is a huge issue and he can't rush the passer as well because he's so heavy.  

Glenn has the 5th highest annual, and one of the highest guarantees at signing.  He isn't a top 5 LT. 

I think ownership is the overriding problem with the team(s).

I'm just at the point now (I know some of you think it's way too early) where I can declare Pegula as an incompetent owner.

It's such a kick in the balls too, we go from a cheap old man who would only hire people he knew, to a Mr. Money Bags who doesn't know anyone in sports that can, or is willing to help him build successful teams.

It's so rust belty WNY...

Edited by T-Bomb
Punctuation

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They need to build from inside out.  Fix the lines.  

This. You fix the OL and DL, that will cover for A LOT of other deficiencies. A good DL that gets pressure will cover for a lack of talent at CB. With a good OL, it doesn't much matter who your receivers or running backs are. It all starts up front, on both sides of the ball. Pick the best 5 receivers you can think of. I don't care who they are. If the line can't protect the QB long enough for them to run their routes, then they're absolutely useless.

State of the team:

-We have little talent on both sides of the ball.

-No young, up and coming players we can build around

-We still need a QB

-Our best player is a RB who will be 30 next year

-Our coaching staff looks more and more clueless each week. They are conservative and love to punt or kick field goals.

-We continue fitting square pegs in round holes

Did I forget anything?

12 hours ago, Avisan said:

The excuses need to end.

I think this is closer to truth than "they inherited a mess" take on it.

They inherited a team with some needs, but they let go of a number of players with talent and failed to acquire adequate replacements, while failing to sufficiently improve positions of significant need (eg right side of OL). 

Maybe they could bring in Kraig Urbik if his knee is healthy.  Heh.

For now, focus all resources on a stud QB, if we think we can get a stud QB we love.

Start to fill in around him later.

Without the QB at the heart of the team, there is no team.

As others have said, this ain't gonna get fixed in a single off-season, so get used to that.

Once we have the stud QB, he'll have 2 or 3 bad seasons once he joins the team.

That's just how it usually goes.

Playoffs in 2020, here we come! 

Just now, T-Bomb said:

That will take about 3 seasons.

Im okay with that.

Every viable franchise in the NFL takes care of their lines...........its not glamorous or the sexy picks, but its a building block on the foundation of progress and stability.

We seem to neglect the lines every year and it shows on the field each week.

If McD's "process" doesnt involve shoring up the lines, then he is no better than every other HC who came in and gave the organisation and its fanbase lip-service.

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

Nice post.

The fan base here at TSW usually greatly over-estimates the talent level on the Bills.

Earlier in the year many suggested we had one of the best front 7 in the league.  

WHAT?

Realistically this team has about 10-11 glaring holes. We need a QB,  completely new Dline (4), at least 2 LBs and 2-3 OL. Throw in another RB and TE/WR and we can't possibly fix that in one offseason. I just hope we get a QB and at least a starting RG/RT out of the next draft.