Kelvin Benjamin injury ( torn meniscus, will play through and have surgery after the season)

YoloinOhio

Torn meniscus isn’t good news, but it’s not a “serious” injury.  He’s already missed two weeks, and I suspect he will miss 2 more.  The fact that he hasn’t had to have his knee scopes to clean up the meniscus suggests to me that it’s a minor tear.

I’ve torn the meniscus in both my knees throughout my sports career.  One of them needed to be scoped.  No biggie.  Was back to full swagger in less than a month.  No pain or swelling.

36 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

It's not too bad, honestly.

My wife just had it and my boss just had it. They haven't had great experiences, but certainly it depends on the extent. Microfracture is the worst-case scenario, if I recall correctly.

Edited by dave mcbride

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow. That's a bad injury--make no bones about it.

Not really.   it's pretty common to tear cartilage and not even need surgery...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/torn-meniscus/symptoms-causes/syc-20354818

"A torn meniscus is one of the most common knee injuries. Any activity that causes you to forcefully twist or rotate your knee, especially when putting your full weight on it, can lead to a torn meniscus.

Each of your knees has two menisci — C-shaped pieces of cartilage that act like a cushion between your shinbone and your thighbone. A torn meniscus causes pain, swelling and stiffness. You also might feel a block to knee motion and have trouble extending your knee fully.

Conservative treatment — such as rest, ice and medication — is sometimes enough to relieve the pain of a torn meniscus and give the injury time to heal on its own. In other cases, however, a torn meniscus requires surgical repair."

This team simply can't catch a break.

But at this point is there any real reason to not shut down Benjamin completely for the rest of the season? It's not like this team is going to the playoffs and it's time to start thinking about next year and beyond which Benjamin is obviously going to be a part of.

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not really.   it's pretty common to tear cartilage and not even need surgery...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/torn-meniscus/symptoms-causes/syc-20354818

"A torn meniscus is one of the most common knee injuries. Any activity that causes you to forcefully twist or rotate your knee, especially when putting your full weight on it, can lead to a torn meniscus.

Each of your knees has two menisci — C-shaped pieces of cartilage that act like a cushion between your shinbone and your thighbone. A torn meniscus causes pain, swelling and stiffness. You also might feel a block to knee motion and have trouble extending your knee fully.

Conservative treatment — such as rest, ice and medication — is sometimes enough to relieve the pain of a torn meniscus and give the injury time to heal on its own. In other cases, however, a torn meniscus requires surgical repair."

I've been influenced by its impact on people in my real life. It's been some tough sledding for them, but again, it really depends on the extent. 

what's our consensus on Kelvin Benjamin? I think he's immediately our best receiver on the roster, but that's not saying much, and his best season has been his rookie year, barely scratched 1000 with Cam Newton, pre ACL tear.

I hope he can get healthy soon and develop a rapport with Tyrod.

55 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I've been influenced by its impact on people in my real life. It's been some tough sledding for them, but again, it really depends on the extent. 

It also depends greatly on a person’s age/physical wellness.  Grandma ain’t doing the jitterbug for a long time after tearing her meniscus.  Not such a huge deal for a well-conditioned, young professional athlete.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It also depends greatly on a person’s age/physical wellness.  Grandma ain’t doing the jitterbug for a long time after tearing her meniscus.  Not such a huge deal for a well-conditioned, young professional athlete.

The other factor is pain threshold. Suffice it to say that the people I know do not have the pain thresholds of NFL players. If I ever took an NFL hit, I'd be in traction for weeks.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The other factor is pain threshold. Suffice it to say that the people I know do not have the pain thresholds of NFL players. If I ever took an NFL hit, I'd be in traction for weeks.

Really? Your wife? Married to you? No pain threshold? Even after showing her statistics that since 1978, NYC wives have lost 52.71% of arguments with their husbands?

You can play with a torn miniscus, depending on the tear. Mostly it just feels funky. I played basketball with a torn miniscus for a while. It didn't slow me down but it was hard to get out of my mind because my knee just felt strange. 

I'm sure the docs are helping him figure out what's best. 

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I coach HS lacrosse.  A player of mine won 4 wrestling matches on his way to a state championship on a torn meniscus.  He had surgery two days after the championship match, and 5 weeks later was a full participant on the lacrosse field without a problem (and his tear was moderate/severe).   The kid is an animal though.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This team simply can't catch a break.

But at this point is there any real reason to not shut down Benjamin completely for the rest of the season? It's not like this team is going to the playoffs and it's time to start thinking about next year and beyond which Benjamin is obviously going to be a part of.

You don't think Miami games and the Colts are winnable?  9 - 7 probably does make the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Really? Your wife? Married to you? No pain threshold? Even after showing her statistics that since 1978, NYC wives have lost 52.71% of arguments with their husbands?

Those statistics are most certainly wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Thanks a lot Nate. This wouldn’t have happened if Tyrod was still the starter since Benjamin wouldn’t have even been targeted. 

Hahaha

that reminded me of jm2009 blaming EJ for throwing Sammy into injury.  

Funny  with the SW injuries post EJ.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Sad 1

Do we know if it is DTD because of our inept training/med staff? Or is the tear a degree of severity where he could return with a fairly quick recovery? I'd imagine this is something that is relatively certain as to the severity that by this point they should know how long he'll be out (at least an estimate)

Edited by ctk232

9 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Do we know if it is DTD because of our inept training/med staff? Or is the tear a degree of severity where he could return with a fairly quick recovery? I'd imagine this is something that is relatively certain as to the severity that by this point they should know how long he'll be out (at least an estimate)

Cordy Glenn has been described as  "day-to-day" and has now missed his 3rd consecutive game.  That should tell you something about Benjamin's availability. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1