Kelvin Benjamin injury ( torn meniscus, will play through and have surgery after the season)

YoloinOhio

• SDS pinned this topic
3 hours ago, skibum said:

A clean ACL tear generally doesn't warrant crutches or a brace. There's a little swelling and occasional instability in certain situations, but walking and even running in a straight line (once the initial swelling goes down) feels pretty normal. Unless you tear a bunch of other stuff at the same time...

The positive sign here, hopefully, is that the lack of crutches/brace means he probably doesn't have a lot of collateral damage to cartilage or other ligaments. If he tore the ACL, it was probably a clean one and he'll recover 100% with the kind of rehab he will have access to. 

Here's hoping it's not that, though!

It will depend on the grade. My wife replaces knees and does trauma. She said ACL swell the most. She said if it was very minor they would brace it and allow him to walk. Players can play with partial tears but it all comes down to stability. Any Major ACL and they would not want him to be weight bearing for fear more damage would occur. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

If it is a suspected ACL tear, I'm having a hard time believing they would they let him walk around on it. 

If it's the same ACL he tore in 2015 that caused him to miss the entire season, well, I don't even want to think about that...

Edited by QCity

ACLs typically hurt real bad at first, and then stop hurting, and you feel fine, until you need something that requires stability and you fall over. Plus, they swell so much you can't bend your knee, at least the few I've seen happen playing sports.

I had a friend who partially tore his acl, dr told him it wasn't anything structural or serious enough to do surgery, and he kept playing on it, and hurt other stuff over a year or so that actually brought him back to the dr, and he got his acl done. That lack of stability caused a chain reaction.

When Zay got hurt a few weeks back, the amount of pain he was in, even five minutes after the injury was the one thing that kept me hopeful it was a non-acl. Knees are weird though...Paul Pierce was in so much pain they had to wheel him off in a wheelchair, thinking his career is done, and suddenly he's playing again 20 minutes later.

This is crazy though, remind me again why we watch people do this to their bodies for our entertainment?

5 hours ago, QCity said:

If it's the same ACL he tore in 2015 that caused him to miss the entire season, well, I don't even want to think about that...

It's the other leg. He'd be ready for training camp. Probably even some of the OTAs.

• Sad 1

The fact he came out of the tent so quickly onto the cart and was ruled out and needs an MRI means they think there is significant damage.  Probably best case is a severe sprain where maybe he could get back at the end of the year.....his season is very likely over.

Snakebit, for KB and the franchise. 

Letss not forget, a huge part of the game plan yesterday was to target KB, probably 10-12 Times. When he got hurt on that first nice throw/catch it was like the football gods just said Buffalo can’t have nice things. Then Dimarco, then Peterman, then hopelessness 

It looked real bad. a planted leg and full on hit to the knee.

Yes I usually don't beleive in curses and have fought that thought for decade plus, but after that play its true this franchise is forever cursed.

9 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

It will depend on the grade. My wife replaces knees and does trauma. She said ACL swell the most. She said if it was very minor they would brace it and allow him to walk. Players can play with partial tears but it all comes down to stability. Any Major ACL and they would not want him to be weight bearing for fear more damage would occur. 

I have torn both of my ACLs and have found that weight bearing is not an issue unless you also wreck your articular cartilage and/or meniscus or stretch/damage other ligaments. The ACL gives stability in certain scenarios, but when it is torn there are still 3 major ligaments holding the femur and tibia together, plus the meniscus helping keep things aligned and articular cartilage providing cushioning between the bones. It's trauma to those other elements that would require bracing or non-weight bearing after an ACL tear - but that trauma is very common because of the force required to tear a ligament. I got lucky and I hope KB did too!

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It looked real bad. a planted leg and full on hit to the knee.

Yes I usually don't beleive in curses and have fought that thought for decade plus, but after that play its true this franchise is forever cursed.

Right? The fact that it came as our rookie QB, making his debut, completed a nice play action strike up the gut for, what, 15 yards down the middle, only to have the new WR1 he displays a rapport with immediately go down, probably for the rest of the season... does it get more Billsy than that? 

6 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Right? The fact that it came as our rookie QB, making his debut, completed a nice play action strike up the gut for, what, 15 yards down the middle, only to have the new WR1 he displays a rapport with immediately go down, probably for the rest of the season... does it get more Billsy than that? 

It did.  The 5 INT's by Peterman.  :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

After the last two weeks, maybe Kelvin is hoping it is season ending.  Why would he want to subject himself to this disaster?

I agree, I don't see him wasting the prime of his career with a 5th rd rookie or a QB who doesn't attempt many passes and has been at the bottom of the pack in yardage for 3 years.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu