ESPN Claims Taylor claiming racial motivation for benching?

oldmanfan

If you have not watched any of Buffalo Bills football games you would be surprised by this.  If you have watched them all you would be surprised by the timing.  As a fan and after last weeks game I was completely discussed by the outcome.  3 or 4 interceptions would have been easier to swallow.  The Saints didnt do anything exotic to stifle the passing attack.  Fairly basic in design and it shut Taylor down to a terrible level.  Since that game it has sparked the debate here and among all Bills fans and those reporters that exclusivity cover and or follow the franchise.  There was a reason after the game the first question was about the starting QB and Tyrod Taylor.  Yes the defense was historically bad.  The offense also picked up 2 first downs after the first drive and  before the final 4 mins of the game.  

I applaud Mcdermott for the move.  Everyone expected that Taylor has regressed but popular opinion was wait til they are a longshot or out of the Playoff race.  I think the smartest play is to make the move as soon as it is become an option.  Why wait if your are already looking at the other Qb like a guy who is better now?  Because he could fail?  The only way you get great success is by taking great risks.  The floor and bar are not high actually quite low.  So on to Peterman.  As well as the Chargers rush the passer how do you beat that?  Quick passes on time in rythem.  Precisely what Peterman does well and Taylor struggles with.  So is Carson stadium and the 3-6 Chargers suddenly a hostile environment?  I know one thing its no more intimidating than going on the road to undefeated #1 ranked Clemson.

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Mods. I either need to change the title or delete this. 

Go to topic moderation and it is there to delete or lock it. I'd suggest lock it with a final thought on the subject. Maybe include something about how we need more threads about it..

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Everything has to be sifted for use, a blanket un-trusting isn't very wise.

There are miles and miles of daylight between the expectation of carefully vetting your news for spin, and cutting through editorializing masquerading as news to focus on raw facts and data; and the realization that you're being deceived by outright fabrication.

When you find a publication who is willing to tell outright lies to drive an agenda, on what grounds would you say granting them the benefit of the doubt is wise?

32 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Max Kellerman's argument for racism playing a part in NFL quarterbacks is that "there are no black Blake Bortles!"

Haven't thought of it that way. EJ Manuel is probably the best black comparison to Bortles. Bortles is probably a notch above EJ in talent level, but still not immune to heavy criticism.  Bortles has certainly received far more opportunity than EJ ever did. But again, Bortles is a little better than EJ I think, still a bad QB though.

57 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

they totally butchered that headline. they referenced his interview from a month ago when he said it was hard being a black qb and then ESPN decided to add fire to it by putting that topic up like he just said it yesterday due to his benching. 

Exactly why I don't watch ESPN except for live sports anymore. They are just like Fox, CNN, and the rest of those jerkoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

As well as the Chargers rush the passer how do you beat that?  Quick passes on time in rythem.  Precisely what Peterman does well and Taylor struggles with.  So is Carson stadium and the 3-6 Chargers suddenly a hostile environment?  I know one thing its no more intimidating than going on the road to undefeated #1 ranked Clemson.

This is what I was looking ahead to as well. With Taylor at QB I assumed the Chargers would bring him down 5 times at least. Think the Jets game two weeks ago. With Peterman, not sure, but there's a chance he only takes one or two sacks. With Taylor it's almost guaranteed Bosa and company get to him a half dozen times.

ESPN up to their usual " racist" shenanigans that began with the anthem protestors and continues. LeBetard was calling out racism on ESPN radio and described Peterman as " statuesque" but has a " big arm" lol... talk about being clueless. He also said the Bills staff should have designed an offense around Taylor and are now showing their " bias" towards white QBs. Just sickening how the media perpetuates this crap. 

Just like Schopp, they roused rabble and got people talking about their coverage. It’s Infotainment designed to generate clicks and attract eyeballs for ratings.

They don’t care about the truth any more than talking heads on [insert name of cable news outlet you hate]. 

47 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Max Kellerman's argument for racism playing a part in NFL quarterbacks is that "there are no black Blake Bortles!"

DYAR.jpg.ba26ea55adaf9849cdbc5fbfa0a04f8b.jpg

giphy.gif

Reading more into the DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement), DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average), and QBR (Total QBR) statistics....I think it demonstrates pretty fairly that Tyrod Taylor is not going to carry the Bills to the playoffs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/55472?

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This is what I was looking ahead to as well. With Taylor at QB I assumed the Chargers would bring him down 5 times at least. Think the Jets game two weeks ago. With Peterman, not sure, but there's a chance he only takes one or two sacks. With Taylor it's almost guaranteed Bosa and company get to him a half dozen times.

I think Peterman's decision making is quicker so that ball is going to come out a lot faster.

Was watching this in the airport bar on my three hour delay - I was yelling at the TV while drinking expensive cheap beer.

It’s pretty clear that no one actually watches Bills games if they think TT is his stats...

Speaking for myself, I would support a Chicken Wing hating, politically crusading, religion spouting, jay walking, tax dodging, un-natural child of a biological union between Bill Bellichick and Jon Bon Jovi, who insisted on playing in high heels and feather boa, if I thought he would get us to the Superbowl.

I think most Bills fans would too!

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Speaking for myself, I would support a Chicken Wing hating, politically crusading, religion spouting, jay walking, tax dodging, un-natural child of a biological union between Bill Bellichick and Jon Bon Jovi, who insisted on playing in high heels and feather boa, if I thought he would get us to the Superbowl.

I think most Bills fans would too!

What if they liked wings, but only only boneless Asian Zing flavor?  Or what if they rocked only Thurman Thomas jerseys, but Miami not Buffalo?  I mean, we do have SOME standards, right? ?

6 minutes ago, Heitz said:

What if they liked wings, but only only boneless Asian Zing flavor?  Or what if they rocked only Thurman Thomas jerseys, but Miami not Buffalo?  I mean, we do have SOME standards, right? ?

I'm kinda desperate. At this point I think the only things I couldn't overlook would be if he was some kind of terrorist or the leader of North Korea.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Everything has to be sifted for use, a blanket un-trusting isn't very wise.

Yep.

Somehow people think "yellow journalism" and "muckraking" are new terms. Kind of funny. It's been happening since the beginning. That being said, like any profession there are quality journalists and hacks. Seek out the quality and ignore the hacks.

And "quality" doesn't just mean the stuff you agree with on a surface level...

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It’s TV manufacturing a story.  They are using comments by TT from a month ago when he stated African American QBs are held to a different standard in general.  It’s literally fake news, it was NOT said in regards to his benching.  One of the most irresponsible stories I have ever seen.  

Honestly, ESPN needs to be held accountable for this garbage.  This is the kind of thing that can hurt Tyrod's career for those who didnt watch this terrible segment and came away with the 100% False idea that Tyrod blamed race for benching.  If I was TT, I would talk to lawyers about slander, its that bad.  

there's your main stream media for you. it is pretty sad when even the sports arm of the propaganda press is trying to stir the pot with their own kind of slant.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I'm kinda desperate. At this point I think the only things I couldn't overlook would be if he was some kind of terrorist or the leader of North Korea.

And new Bills QB Kim Jong “The Un” is tearing up the league much to the chagrin / excitement of the Bills fan base!

Playoffs or WWIII, you tell me!?! :beer:

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Agree with this 100%.

But he didn't actually play the race card or say anything, so you two are using this thread to fume over a completely unrelated political issue.

May as well yell at some clouds while you're at it.  You're angry, we get it.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Haven't thought of it that way. EJ Manuel is probably the best black comparison to Bortles. Bortles is probably a notch above EJ in talent level, but still not immune to heavy criticism.  Bortles has certainly received far more opportunity than EJ ever did. But again, Bortles is a little better than EJ I think, still a bad QB though.

Bortles > Taylor

18 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Kind of a generalization, wouldn't you say?

Yeah, it was offered as a generalization.  I figured you'd be able to tell because I didn't get granular, or bust out charts and graphs.

Did you take any other issue with my statement in which I claimed a major media outlet falsifying a report is an example of why people don't trust the media?

50 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Yeah, it was offered as a generalization.  I figured you'd be able to tell because I didn't get granular, or bust out charts and graphs.

Did you take any other issue with my statement in which I claimed a major media outlet falsifying a report is an example of why people don't trust the media?

I think the generalization is 'no one', not the reason why.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He may just be sticking up for the people who do trust the media anymore.

It's a strange point to make given the common understanding of the phrase isn't literal, but sure.  I'm sure that there are people out there who trust certain media outlets despite their willingness to engage in blatant fabrications. 

4 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

you know, I've never been racist, still not, never will be but it's getting really tiring hearing these players play the race card.

It doesn't seem to be Taylor saying it.  If I were guessing, some combination of picking up Sal's radio show where apparently he 2x said it's racism, and an old interview where TT said black QB in general were held to a different standard - that is different than "playing the race card" though I understand that distinction can seem thin -

Edit: it was Schopp not Sal

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
correct mistake

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It doesn't seem to be Taylor saying it.  If I were guessing, some combination of picking up Sal's radio show where apparently he 2x said it's racism, and an old interview where TT said black QB in general were held to a different standard - that is different than "playing the race card" though I understand that distinction can seem thin -

I mean Tyrod did play the race card. He isn't held to a different standard. We expect all QBs not to suck regardless of race. While he didn't blame race for his benching he did still play the race card in the old interview and should never have said that incorrect statement.

Just now, Kmart128 said:

I mean Tyrod did play the race card. He isn't held to a different standard. We expect all QBs not to suck regardless of race. While he didn't blame race for his benching he did still play the race card in the old interview and should never have said that incorrect statement.

I kind of disagree  - can you work with me a minute?

There's a significant difference between saying overall, a group is held to a different standard, and attributing a specific occurrence to membership in that group.

Example: overall, it can be shown statistically that successful Asian admittees to Ivy League schools have 120 pts higher SAT scores than their Caucasian counterparts.

That implies that in fact, they probably are being held to a different standard - at a guess, preferential admission for athletes and legacies.  There's a broad pattern.

But if one specific Asian applicant says "I was denied admission because I'm Asian", that's playing the race card and it doesn't follow at all from the general pattern.  Maybe that specific applicant wrote a sucky essay, or maybe plays squash and violin in a year where they're oversupplied with both and looking for bowling and oboe.

So it could be true, overall, that Black QB are held to a different standard, scrutinized more carefully, criticized more readily.  (I don't know if it is, work with me here).

Then at the same time, even with that broad pattern, Tyrod Taylor got benched due to performance issues (which he did).  Pointing out the broad pattern he believes he's observed, is not the same thing as playing the race card with regard to his specific circumstance.

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

What did Schopp say

I didn't hear it but several here said he twice attributed Taylor's benching to racism

• Like (+1) 1