Nathan Peterman to Start this Week.

26CornerBlitz

Having a ****ty QB and ****ty defense are not mutually exclusive. Fixing one (or at least moving away from one that we know is broken) is better than doing nothing. By the logic of “it’s not Tyrod’s fault that the defense can’t tackle” is like saying you shouldn’t put the fire out in your kitchen because the bathroom is flooding.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Remember the huge to do about Deshaun Watson's lack of arm strength at this years combine?  Had the weakest arm with the poorest velocity of any quarterback there.  If any of these guys truly had a "noodle arm" they wouldnt be in the NFL.    Peterman can make up for the lack of velocity by being ahead of the curve when it comes to reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly.

Where I think the real issue is with Nate is his inaccuracy.   Has a tendency to miss wide and high.

To me, Watson's arm was clearly superior to Peterman's and wasn't an issue. The fact it was to a lot of scouts, when it's better than Nate's should show you why NP was a fifth rounder.

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

Having a ****ty QB and ****ty defense are not mutually exclusive. Fixing one (or at least moving away from one that we know is broken) is better than doing nothing. By the logic of “it’s not Tyrod’s fault that the defense can’t tackle” is like saying you shouldn’t put the fire out in your kitchen because the bathroom is flooding.

Exactly. The National media’s logic makes no sense. Besides we DID make a move for the run defense, we cut Worthy and signed Coleman. I don’t remember anyone saying “why are the Bills trying to fix the run defense if the offense sucks?”

Just now, K-9 said:

Everything in the sense of the straw that broke the camel's back maybe, but I don't see McD as the type of coach to pull a player based on one bad game. TT has had many in his tenure and it's his whole body of work in that regard that informs the decision more than anything. 

I agree. He isn't an emotional type of guy like Rex. He is a deliberate person and plays it relatively safe. And I'm reading this from the way his defenses are - they are sound, solid, and safe. He doesn't take a lot of risks with his defenses. He's going to take the percentages, whatever gives him the best safest chances. So IMO this wasn't a rash decision, and I have to think he has been thinking about this for sometime. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Exactly. The National media’s logic makes no sense. Besides we DID make a move for the run defense, we cut Worthy and signed Coleman. I don’t remember anyone saying “why are the Bills trying to fix the run defense if the offense sucks?”

Picking a lineman off waivers isn't really a 'fix' on defense. It's a change. QB is the only position that really has major impact, that's why it's a difficult call.

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Remember the huge to do about Deshaun Watson's lack of arm strength at this years combine?  Had the weakest arm with the poorest velocity of any quarterback there.  If any of these guys truly had a "noodle arm" they wouldnt be in the NFL.    Peterman can make up for the lack of velocity by being ahead of the curve when it comes to reading defenses and getting the ball out quickly.

Where I think the real issue is with Nate is his inaccuracy.   Has a tendency to miss wide and high.

Yes I noticed those misses too. I think that's his footwork. He wasn't set properly. If he's a tad off, that throw goes way wide. He needs to get more consistent footwork. 

25 minutes ago, KCNC said:

I have said for a long time, one thing I think that has hampered TT is he is not a cold weather quarterback.  Hoping that is not the case with NP.

NP played @ Pitt   it gets cold there 

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Tyrod Taylor experiment is over with in Buffalo.  

Hopefully it is not too late 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didnt see McD as the kind of coach to change his offensive strategy a few times in one season. I didn't see him as a coach to have such highs and such lows. I didn't see him as a coach to watch his team not stop the run or the pass and then not do much of anything to try to take at least one of them away.

Not sure I follow the logic here. Are you suggesting that because he hasn't shown much of anything in the way of fixing a broken run defense that he shouldn't make a QB switch? 

As for highs and lows, I think he's been pretty steady. That loss hurt on Sunday; it was of historic proportions so I can understand the low there but I suspect he made the film study in a rational way and didn't make the switch out of some sense of desperation. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, but I just don't get the vibe that he's a knee-jerk reactionary. 

Not sure I follow the idea of changing the offensive strategy a few times in one season, either. Game plans tend to be different each week for every team as it is. I think he made a good decision to consult his OLine about using more of the zone concepts they preferred from last season as that helped the running game afterward for a few games and they've continued to try to establish the run game. They didn't get away from wanting to establish TT as a pocket passer so they've been consistent in that regard, too. Maybe I'm not understanding your comment so if you can point to a couple specifics it might help. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Pretty much tells you they realize the team is heading down the tubes this season and might as well evaluate Peterman.

I think my slightly different spin on the same thought is, they realized they aren't going to be able  to fix the defense, so a game manager mobile low turnover QB no longer works.  

Time to roll the dice hoping to trade a few more picks for a lot more offense. 

Wow I'm shocked.... Everyone and their mother could see who the better QB was garbage time or not. But the Bills had the balls to make the change with a winning record. Maybe not same ole Bills. If he falls on his face then we know what position will be priority in the draft.

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If he is a mediocre backup then wouldn't he be even more likely to lose than Tyrod?  I love this news. Now we can see what we have in Peterman, if anything, prior to the draft. Oh, and if by chance he DOES succeed?  Bonus!

The problem is we might pass on drafting a franchise QB because we believe in Peterman.  Even if Tyrod got us to the playoffs we would draft his replacement. Average success by Peterman could mean he gets the more time than he deserves. Or worse, we draft a QB next year and have another controversy. I hope he balls out but this could have been handled better. 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

National media making it about one game, Bills fans making it about 38 games and McD making it about 9 games. 

have no clue, nor does anyone else. Do have a clue about Tyrod though, prolly 175 and 1 TD, with no picks , and lots of plays left on the field and lots of 3 and outs

I was just curious as a lot of folks wanted this to happen. Wanted to see what people we expecting. I guess a good follow up question would be what does Peterman have to do for the remainder of the season for us not draft a 1st round QB in the draft next year. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

It's too late, he will never be the long term starter here.

The Chargers can be defeated, Miami can be defeated, Indy can be defeated.  

We controlled KC last season for a half w/o passing in the 2nd hafl that led to a loss.  Well I'm thinking our chances there have changed for the better. 

6 minutes ago, unclepete said:

The problem is we might pass on drafting a franchise QB because we believe in Peterman.  Even if Tyrod got us to the playoffs we would draft his replacement. Average success by Peterman could mean he gets the more time than he deserves. Or worse, we draft a QB next year and have another controversy. I hope he balls out but this could have been handled better. 

I can't agree with this; I think we are going hard after a QB. But if Peterman flashes, it may mean we won't have to give up too many picks or reach for one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Chargers can be defeated, Miami can be defeated, Indy can be defeated.  

We controlled KC last season for a half w/o passing in the 2nd hafl that led to a loss.  Well I'm thinking our chances there have changed for the better. 

I was referring to Tyrod being the starter, which is what I thought you were talking about, guess I missed that.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I would like to publicly call out users here such as 26 Corner Blitz and Kelly the Dog for their continued horrendous takes regarding the game of football.  I enjoyed Kelly's comment not long ago where he bitched about "having to endure the continued ridiculous talk of starting Peterman" which of course others lapped up like so much Bills flavored Kool Aid.

Then we have the lovely 26 Corner Blitz making it his second job (after spambotting this forum 24/7) to attack any user at any time about how great Tyrod is and how foolish it is to suggest that Peterman might be better or should start.

Within the last few days, 26 Corner Blitz offered up such highly informing commentary as "Oh yeah, then why is Peterman the back-up if he is so good?" and so on.

Then you have the more garden variety of clueless kool aid Bills drinker referencing McD's comment in the post-game press conference saying "Tyrod is our starter" as if that means, case closed, he is the starter.

I guess some haven't figured out yet that what a coach says publicly and what he thinks are usually two different things. 

Why is it that the most consistently clueless around here are often the loudest?  

Please gentlemen, sit down and SHUT THE F UP!

Thanks! 

:worthy:  No,         Thank You. 

26 owes us all a big apology.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was referring to Tyrod being the starter, which is what I thought you were talking about, guess I missed that.

no problem.   I make mistakes all the time 

I hope this time isn't one of them :wacko:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I personally wonder if this move reflects a willingness to toss this season.  The Bills need to see what their draft priorities are.  If Peterman turns out to be the second coming of Tom Brady (I know very unlikely) then selecting a QB drops off the draft needs list.  If he is a dud and not a stud then the Bills have work to do in the draft.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I personally wonder if this move reflects a willingness to toss this season.  The Bills need to see what their draft priorities are.  If Peterman turns out to be the second coming of Tom Brady (I know very unlikely) then selecting a QB drops off the draft needs list.  If he is a dud and not a stud then the Bills have work to do in the draft.

Why do you wonder why this tosses the season and not that it might save it?   Either would fit at this point.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Everybody is excited by something new until the point where they aren't because new is shittier than the same old crap. 

Losman was shiny and new stepping in for Bledsoe who was a statute in the backfield.  JP had wheels and a big arm! Then Trentative was a revelation after watching Losman's feast or famine offense fail to sustain drives.  Slow and steady Trent was great until defenses figured out he couldn't see more than 6 yards beyond scrimmage.  Then gunslinger Fitz was the brand new thing.  Fitzy was so refreshing after Trentative but his style of play turned the ball over way too much. Then EJ was the anointed one, leading comebacks and winning those 4 games until he was a total bum.  Then Tyrod arrived with no fanfare or expectations, won the starting job, and delivered some of the best QB play we've seen since Kelly retired until he too became tied for the worst QB to ever play football.

What makes anyone think new and different will be better? 

I agree with almost all your facts except that Trent was never great. 

I'm not sure that it really matters this year, a lot of the guys seem to have quit. I don't understand why but I think the Dareus trade seems to have weakened the team's spirit. Not sure that benching Tyrod is going to solve it.

5 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Where’s 26 with the you’re an idiot because Tyrod is the starter? 

Hiding in the same hole he hid under after EJ was kicked to the curb despite 26's continued EJ-supporting-attacks on his fellow TSW posters who dared to suggest that maybe EJ sucks, maybe he always has sucked, maybe everyone at FSU knows it, maybe we know it, and maybe the passage of time isn't going to fix the situation.

He's wrong about most things.  I guess he figures the more forcefully he attacks others in support of his views, the more correct they will be.

Who knows.  Maybe he's just bat **** crazy.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Its a win win to me.  

We know (or most of us did) that keeping TT under center was not working.   If we lose does it matter if we lost with TT or NP?  If we win.  I'm a happy camper 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I can't agree with this; I think we are going hard after a QB. But if Peterman flashes, it may mean we won't have to give up too many picks or reach for one. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I disagree. We’ve passed on QBs before because of the likes of Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Trent Edwards. If Peterman plays decent and we make the playoffs we won’t draft a QB. And it could set this franchise back once again. 

Food for thought...

Bill BarnwellVerified account @billbarnwell
FollowFollow @billbarnwell
More

The argument that Taylor’s one game was so bad that he has to be benched is silly. Joe Flacco went 8-of-18 for 28 yards with two picks this year and nobody ever questioned whether he should be benched for a second.

8:27 AM - 15 Nov 2017
Edited by dneveu

1 minute ago, unclepete said:

I disagree. We’ve passed on QBs before because of the likes of Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Trent Edwards. If Peterman plays decent and we make the playoffs we won’t draft a QB. And it could set this franchise back once again. 

the draft is a gamble regardless.   With 12 or more teams looking for a QB the market could be brutal. 

Wow. Quite a bold move. I am very excited to see what Peterman can do. He was making anticipatory throws before the receiver was actually open last Sunday, finding holes in the coverage and putting the ball there. When you watch the breakdown tape of Peterman's game it really shows how impressive some of his throws were.

I think he earned this shot with his play Sunday. Keeping my expectations realistic though. He is a rookie in his first ever start... 

Boy though, if this change is permanent, what in the world are some of the posters here going to do now that they can't argue for/against Tyrod all day? lol (j/k). 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

indeed.

If we've learned anything over the last 17 years, it's that your organization should always be on heightened lookout for your next franchise QB unless you are 100% certain that you have that guy in the fold, and that you have a backup that is capable of winning games in his stead if he gets injured.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Food for thought...

More

The argument that Taylor’s one game was so bad that he has to be benched is silly. Joe Flacco went 8-of-18 for 28 yards with two picks this year and nobody ever questioned whether he should be benched for a second.

Hey Bill    Maybe YOU are wrong and Joe should have been benched. 

Flacco isn't what he used to be.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I can see the argument that if Denison were willing to change his offensive philosophy then Tyrod (and the o-line and the runners) would look better--last year the offense scored 25 points per game. So in that sense benching Tyrod is not entirely his fault.

I am on record as not liking Denison's inflexibility on this. It's one reason the o-line has looked much worse than last year. But given that Denison is committed to a particular offensive system, it makes sense to see if Peterman can run it more successfully. Sucks for Tyrod, but that's the reality of the situation. 

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Food for thought...

More

Joe Flacco won a superbowl and made it to the playoffs multiple times.

TT has not.  And TT's benching was not because of a single game.

7 minutes ago, unclepete said:

This is the McBeane show now. Anything short of Peterman looking like Brady out of the box and we are going hard after a QB. Assuming TT is gone, we have Peterman and bubkis at the position. 

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

indeed.

If we've learned anything over the last 17 years, it's that your organization should always be on heightened lookout for your next franchise QB unless you are 100% certain that you have that guy in the fold, and that you have a backup that is capable of winning games in his stead if he gets injured.

Yep

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Food for thought...

More

so this cat was/is basing the benching off one game?

some need to take the blinders off and watch some games

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Food for thought...

More

I tink it's more about what Peterman did on the field, and knowing what Tyrod is & isn't capable of than Tyrod having 1 bad game.

Tyrod wasn't properly utilizing his weapons on offense. Wasn't throwing to open receivers, was checking down way too much. Too scared of making a mistake (etc etc, we've all watched Tyrod...). 

Peterman came in and was able to read the defense, audible at the LOS, throw the ball to open holes in coverage BEFORE the receiver even made his break. He did some good things and IMO earned this shot. 

They know now what they have in TT. They can always go back to him if the Chargers game is a disaster for Peterman.

But you are not going to get a better chance during this remaining season to make a change to Peterman. 3-6 Chargers in a half empty stadium that will be likely to have just as many Bills fans as Chargers fans (if not more). 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This is the McBeane show now. Anything short of Peterman looking like Brady out of the box and we are going hard after a QB. Assuming TT is gone, we have Peterman and bubkis at the position. 

Bubkis has familiarity in the system and all the intangibles in the world, but also a noodle arm, cannot not throw his receivers open, and does not pass the eye test. 

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Bubkis has familiarity in the system and all the intangibles in the world, but also a noodle arm, cannot not throw his receivers open, and does not pass the eye test. 

But man, his brother Dick was a GREAT middle LB back in the day.