Every Dareus hater, APOLOGIZE

CanadianFan

5 hours ago, CanadianFan said:

Apologize now, if you didn't you know-nothing haters. Your bile makes this fandom toxic. Worse than Chernobyl.

Why? Someone seems to have a bile problem! Dareus would have been helpful at times....if he felt in the mood and was healthy. It’s NOT about this season, Mr Know Nothing. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

It's never about this season with the Bills. Always the future... hence the 17 straight years of no playoffs, what's another year?

The old “17 year” thing is tired and actually pisses me of. Be smarter than that. 

I was fine with getting rid of Dareus but man watching this defense get man handled is tough. I have no idea if things would have been different today with 99 but it’s disappointing that nobody on that front 4 is doing anything. Haven’t heard Kyle’s name mentioned all year it seems and Hughes and Lawson have been invisible. Dareus or not that’s unacceptable.

Edited by Bangarang

Hey, that was horrific. No doubt! But I won’t over-react. Even on the heels of the ugly Jets game. They are looking to the next draft, looking for the QB, looking beyond this week. It SUCKED, and it pained me, but I go WAY beyond 17 years of this. The big picture gives me hope. 

57 minutes ago, klos63 said:

this is the 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' - it clearly made our team worse during a critical playoff push. They had no intention of keeping Dareus from day 1, which means to me that there was no effort to 'get him on board'. Might work out in the long run, but it hurts us real bad now. Our season is likely over now.

We dont win the last two weeks with Dareus. We looked like crap two weeks in a row on both sides of the ball. Plus we arent getting the ridiculous number of turnovers we were getting earlier. This 5-2 start is looking exactly like the 2011 5-2 start. 

One could turn it around... every Dareus lover, APOLOGIZE! Rarely played, one strike away from a season suspension, $100 million contract but fat guy with a bad hammy or groin....the list goes on. So...there are alternative views. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills should've "rises up" years ago. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no telling when this team will "rise up" given their history. They keep playing like this McBeane won't make it through year 2 and same old same old in Buffalo.

How long is the history with this coaching and FO?  Stop with “history”, it’s weak. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills should've "rises up" years ago. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no telling when this team will "rise up" given their history. They keep playing like this McBeane won't make it through year 2 and same old same old in Buffalo.

Im willing to let this play out. These guys have a vision on what kind of team they want to build. Firing people every two years gets you nowhere.

Fine with trade and knew there’d be growing pains.  

But, one thing that bugs me is the 20/20 hindsight about his extension. At the time it wa clearly a BIG signing.  However,  it wasn’t viewed as being a Dan Snyder-esque folly, though there were concerns about his brief suspension, based on his performance to date at the time, comimg off a 10 sack 1st team All Pro season, the deal was seen as a contract in line with the natural progression for a player who the experts believed Dareus was, a talented young DT who would be a force for years to come (and it was the first big DT contract post-Suh).  While some may have expressed concerns, it was not viewed as it is now with the always perfect 20/20 hindsight.  Clearly, turned out wrong but Whaley was in line with the view of the majority when he made the deal.  Found some articles from 2015 about the extension:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000525009/article/marcell-dareus-bills-reach-sixyear-100m-extension

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/10/bills-marcell-dareus-agree-to-six-year-contract-extension/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/10/9114609/marcell-dareus-contract-extension-buffalo-bills-pass-rush

Edited by biggerdaddynj

I wish Marcell well, but they had to unload him. He was easily our best DT even without a "sense of urgency". Still, he was tying up $108,000,000 of cap space over 6 years and playing like he was worth half that amount. We'll be better off in the long run, but will suck on run defense until we can reload at DT and LDE. Right now, Hughes is the only one really playing well in that group. Good thing we have lots of draft picks.

Edited by GreggTX

The defense has been this bad all season. They've been getting lucky with turnovers. Dareus was only playing at most, 60% of the snaps to begin. We're playing better teams now and all the weaknesses that have been there all year are being exploited.

I can't apologize. The apology belongs to Dareus for taking his money and running. For putting his teammates and coaches in a bad situation. For not being a leader that he should have been. Don't get me wrong. I hated the trade and saw the drop off coming. I just had no idea it would be this bad. 298 yds rushing is an abomination of all that is right with the world. Today was disgusting, pathetic and should never happen at home to anyone.  

Damn, I went into November with hope, only to be punished again for the love of my hometown losers. Stupid Pats show us how it's done all over again and again and again. 

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Jax and Bills Defense Rushing stats;

Before Dareus arrived in Jax:

5.2 yds a carry

After Dareus arrived in Jax:

2.3 yds a carry

Before Dareus left the Bills:

3.4 yds a carry

After Dareus left the Bills:

5.5 yds a carry

If people cant see it this way I'm not sure what else to say.

At least the accountants will be happy in . . . two years.

39 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

I can't apologize. The apology belongs to Dareus for taking his money and running. For putting his teammates and coaches in a bad situation. For not being a leader that he should have been. Don't get me wrong. I hated the trade and saw the drop off coming. I just had no idea it would be this bad. 298 yds rushing is an abomination of all that is right with the world. Today was disgusting, pathetic and should never happen at home to anyone.  

Damn, I went into November with hope, only to be punished again for the love of my hometown losers. Stupid Pats show us how it's done all over again and again and again. 

By all accounts, his teammates loved him.

8 hours ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Saying Im not going to talk to you anymore because you dont agree with me is about as childish as it gets which is exactly what he did. He got exactly the response he deserved. 

Just to clarify, I’m not talking with you because you don’t know what you are talking about, not because we don’t agree. I disagree with people here all of the time.

You don’t even understand the Dareus situation that you are so passionate about. The guaranteed money paid out made it basically impossible to move on before the end of next year. There was little benefit to it. That’s why so many of us at the time didn’t like the move. It’s proven to be true.

8 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

As much as the D line misses Dareus. His contract was unbearable. Someone should have been taken out back and shot.

Contract was fine until the off field issues and they turned him into a 2 down gap plugger. 

This is a rebuilding year, every one knew that, but they started winning and got hopes up. This team was never talented enough to sustain it. Clearing cap space will help the future, but they have to go all out for a QB. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

21 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Contract was fine until the off field issues and they turned him into a 2 down gap plugger. 

This is a rebuilding year, every one knew that, but they started winning and got hopes up. This team was never talented enough to sustain it. Clearing cap space will help the future, but they have to go all out for a QB. 

All this. I got sucked in too. But they are who we thought they were. The wins were mostly bad teams and the scores were close. Bills are a few points away from a 2 win team. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Regardless of what the FO says to appease us, this team is being built for the long haul & not for this year.  Getting rid of Dareus was a great move & totally in line with that.

I have a bridge over Chautauqua Lake that I'd like to sell you.  Recently rehabbed deck.  Great view.  Cheap, too.

12 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Apologize for what????'

Dareus was a disgrace to this organization and he is outta here for a reason.

Plus, he is an eyelash away from sitting on the pines for a year.

Dareus is to blame for Dareus, not the Bills.

Dareus is hardly a "disgrace" to any organization.  He's a twenty-something guy with lots of $$$ who got in a couple of scrapes that numerous twenty-somethings with lots less $ get into frequently.  Furthermore, the old "he is an eyelash away from sitting on the pines for a year" line is EXACTLY the same one used by fans justifying giving away Marshawn in 2011 ... and how did that all turn out?  Isn't it amazing what good coaching and playing for a winning organization can do for a somewhat wayward player?

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Good coaches can work with players with imperfect attitudes McD on the other hand has this attitude of dumping anyone who doesnt fit his process and system (whatever those are). Dareus was not pulling his weight but whatever little he was doing seemed to hold up our run-D. 

Since the Bills were shopping Dareus since TC, I doubt it really had much to do with Dareus' attitude and much more to do with the Bills deciding they wanted his contract gone.  I don't know if McDermott truly has the attitude that if guys don't buy what he's selling he wants them gone and will force them out or if that's simply a convenient excuse used by the Bills FO.  

9 hours ago, Augie said:

The old “17 year” thing is tired and actually pisses me of. Be smarter than that. 

Why?   Because you want to pretend that the kind of FO manure that's gone on this year hasn't happened before?

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Hey, that was horrific. No doubt! But I won’t over-react. Even on the heels of the ugly Jets game. They are looking to the next draft, looking for the QB, looking beyond this week. It SUCKED, and it pained me, but I go WAY beyond 17 years of this. The big picture gives me hope. 

It's November.  The Bills are ALWAYS looking forward to "next draft, looking for the QB, looking beyond this week".  Well, "someday" doesn't look any closer today than it did the day after the Music City Miracle.

9 hours ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Im willing to let this play out. These guys have a vision on what kind of team they want to build. Firing people every two years gets you nowhere.

Let me guess ... you're either a spouse, child or sibling of one of the Bills' FO staff.

9 hours ago, papazoid said:

just watched the jax game on NFL game pass

dareus did not start, he's a backup.

I didn't count, but my guess is he played about 25% of the snaps.

had a couple good efforts, but for the most part looked slow and out of shape. 

Of course Dareus isn't a starter ... he's only been there for 2 weeks.   :doh:

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Just to clarify, I’m not talking with you because you don’t know what you are talking about, not because we don’t agree. I disagree with people here all of the time.

You don’t even understand the Dareus situation that you are so passionate about. The guaranteed money paid out made it basically impossible to move on before the end of next year. There was little benefit to it. That’s why so many of us at the time didn’t like the move. It’s proven to be true.

I think you are wasting your time trying to explain anything to this poster.  My guess is that he/she has some connection to the Bills FO and is on a mission to defend the indefensible no matter what.

Edited by SoTier

14 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

in 8 games played 24 tackles and 4 sacks under a moronic 3-4 scheme that sucked.

Why look at last year? Look at WHAT happened the last 2 games!

What's classic is we basically need 2 DT's as Kyle is just about done and will have to waste another 1st rd picks to "maybe" get a decent tackle, while letting one walk that we are still paying for.

Of all the things I'm upset at, the absence of Marcel Dareus is not one of them.

$16 million for 8 games. One drug test away from $16 million for 0 games. Still loose, because he's only responsible for about 4 yards around him.

No penalties, and get some turnovers, the Bills win over the Jets, and might win over the Saints.

Get off the field on 3rd down instead of committing a penalty, and Taylor makes some plays, and the bills are 7-2.

Failure all around. A lot of people standing around, watching. Lorax playing MLB and jumping through the wrong gap. 

I'm much more concerned about the coaching. Stubborn in their schemes which don't fit personell. That's a sign you only know one thing. I'm all for getting your players, especially at QB, but the ones they got are not ready to play. It looks more like the roster turnover is to buy the regime a new year than it is to win.

10 hours ago, Luka said:

The defense has been this bad all season. They've been getting lucky with turnovers. Dareus was only playing at most, 60% of the snaps to begin. We're playing better teams now and all the weaknesses that have been there all year are being exploited.

It was actually only about 35% (1/3 of the defences snaps)

Now he is isn't a starter playing about 25% of the snaps and he is being credited for improving the jags defence. It can't be that they just might be playing worse teams, has to be Saint Dareus, the Watkins of defence. He doesn't even have to be on the field to be the decoy and make other teams cower in fear!

So without Dareus, the Bills have one good game holding the Raiders offence in check, have one bad game against a Jets team that is playing underdog all year, and then follow it up with a really bad one against a red hot Saints team that has one of the best rushing offences in the league to go with one of the best passing QBs. Having Dareus in that game wasn't going to change anything, the last 2 games no one on defence appears to know how to tackle and are either trying to hard to strip the ball (IIRC I believe it was #23 who instead of attempting to stop the RB late in the game at the goal line, just stood there and tried to paw at the ball hoping it might come loose) or just running into guys hoping to just knock them over.

From what I have seen the last 2 games, are defences that when they get worn down and get a few scores behind  have sat back and just let the other team do what they want to save themselves from injury or just rest. They haven't given up on the coach or other teammates, they have given up on the game and taken the mentality that losing by 20 isn't going to be any different then losing by 3 so they might as well just try  to finish the game healthy.

17 hours ago, CanadianFan said:

Apologize now, if you didn't you know-nothing haters. Your bile makes this fandom toxic. Worse than Chernobyl.

Didnt I read somewhere that dareus only plaid in a little more than 30% of the Bills snaps this season? 

The number was definitely under 40%. 

Some of these comments suck. I'm gonna come to some of your jobs and just stand there and criticize. "Herman! You suck at filing! You're an overpaid waste of space. I'm gonna suspend you. I can't believe this company actually pays you. And you, Larry, you self-centered sack of monkey dung. You think we don't know that you're a fat piece of crap? You think you're a world class plumber? You ain't worth the crap lodged in those pipes." Ugh. I guess it's just me, I just hate insulting comments towards people you don't even frickin' know.

While Dareus wasn't doing anything flashy this season, on plays he was in the game, it forced the OL to pay attention to him and dedicate two blockers to him almost every time. That frees up other players to make plays. And nobody complained back when he was given the contract extension. He had just come off his most productive seasons in '13 and '14 and he was a player just about everyone was positive they needed to lock up. If he had left in free agency, people would've lost they dang minds screaming how the Bills just let another one of their top players walk away for nothing. 

It's all hindsight now. Rex put the dude in a scheme that didn't fit him (like every other player on that defense), he has two weak seasons and then apparently couldn't buy into what McD wants to do here. And yeah, the contract looked bad after '15 and '16 because he wasn't in a position to be as productive as he once was. And he wasn't playing a whole lot this season but in the couple games where he played the most snaps (where they showcased him) he wasn't bad. He was certainly a help in the run game. And now they really don't have any DL that can hold the point of attack and they certainly aren't getting any pressure on the QB with whatever four guys happen to be in at the time. So this off-season they'll be scrambling to find guys that can do what needs to be done within this system. Either that or the defensive staff (and offensive staff, for that matter) need to take a long, hard look at what they have and start scheming around what these players naturally do well. Right now, IMO, there just isn't enough creativity on either side of the ball. I get that it's good to have a straightforward scheme so your players can line up and play fast but when that stuff stops working, you gotta get creative. Can't just "stay the course" and keep beating your head against the wall. 

And I'm not advocating they should've kept Dareus, not at that salary and not if his job was going to be mainly run stops on 40% of the defensive snaps in any given game. But it would've been nice had they had a stronger contingency plan in place before shipping him out.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Some of these comments suck. I'm gonna come to some of your jobs and just stand there and criticize. "Herman! You suck at filing! You're an overpaid waste of space. I'm gonna suspend you. I can't believe this company actually pays you. And you, Larry, you self-centered sack of monkey dung. You think we don't know that you're a fat piece of crap? You think you're a world class plumber? You ain't worth the crap lodged in those pipes." Ugh. I guess it's just me, I just hate insulting comments towards people you don't even frickin' know.

While Dareus wasn't doing anything flashy this season, on plays he was in the game, it forced the OL to pay attention to him and dedicate two blockers to him almost every time. That frees up other players to make plays. And nobody complained back when he was given the contract extension. He had just come off his most productive seasons in '13 and '14 and he was a player just about everyone was positive they needed to lock up. If he had left in free agency, people would've lost they dang minds screaming how the Bills just let another one of their top players walk away for nothing. 

It's all hindsight now. Rex put the dude in a scheme that didn't fit him (like every other player on that defense), he has two weak seasons and then apparently couldn't buy into what McD wants to do here. And yeah, the contract looked bad after '15 and '16 because he wasn't in a position to be as productive as he once was. And he wasn't playing a whole lot this season but in the couple games where he played the most snaps (where they showcased him) he wasn't bad. He was certainly a help in the run game. And now they really don't have any DL that can hold the point of attack and they certainly aren't getting any pressure on the QB with whatever four guys happen to be in at the time. So this off-season they'll be scrambling to find guys that can do what needs to be done within this system. Either that or the defensive staff (and offensive staff, for that matter) need to take a long, hard look at what they have and start scheming around what these players naturally do well. Right now, IMO, there just isn't enough creativity on either side of the ball. I get that it's good to have a straightforward scheme so your players can line up and play fast but when that stuff stops working, you gotta get creative. Can't just "stay the course" and keep beating your head against the wall. 

And I'm not advocating they should've kept Dareus, not at that salary and not if his job was going to be mainly run stops on 40% of the defensive snaps in any given game. But it would've been nice had they had a stronger contingency plan in place before shipping him out.

So to some this up, he was irreplaceable cause he was the "Sammy Watkins of the defence"?, a highly paid decoy that made the team better by just having his name on the roster and not even having to  be on the field

15 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Didnt I read somewhere that dareus only plaid in a little more than 30% of the Bills snaps this season? 

Yup its true. This team didnt fit their run gaps, played without fundamentals, forgot technique, and was undisciplined yesterday with regard to 5 of the front 7.

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

So to some this up, he was irreplaceable cause he was the "Sammy Watkins of the defence"?, a highly paid decoy that made the team better by just having his name on the roster and not even having to  be on the field

Hmm... did you read it? Nowhere did I say he was irreplaceable... and nowhere did I compare him to Sammy Watkins, nor did I call him a decoy. I said, during this season, when he was in there, the OL is forced to adjust and most times put two blockers on him. This allows other players to get free and have a chance to make a play. Occupying space and blockers isn't a flashy job and that's why you didn't see him do anything flashy this year. But, I do believe he played a role in being better against the run when he was in there. And now they don't have a player on this roster that can do that. And after that I just said that it would've been nice if they had a better backup plan for replacing him, because they don't have any real big-bodied DL anymore. 95 is 6' 301, 94 is 6'1" 300, 92 is 6'4" 295, and 91 is also 6'4" 295. By today's standards, those are kind of light for DL. And then on the ends your main guys are Hughes and Lawson, both around 6'2" - 6'3" and 255-260. Compare that to the DL McDermott had in Carolina. Kawann Short, 6'3" 315. Vernon Butler, 6'4" 330. Star Lotulelei,  6'2" 315. His ends were Peppers (6'7" 295) and Charles Johnson (6'2" 278). All marginally bigger than the guys they have right now. So, like I said, they probably need to get a little more creative with the scheme right now because what they've been doing the last few games hasn't been working. The entire DL has been completely handled by the Jets and Saints OLs these last two weeks and so far they either haven't figured out how to adjust, or have adjusted and that isn't working either. The lack of pressure has shown through the last five or six games. And it's not really the scheme, because while McDermott was in Carolina, they finished near the top of the league in sacks almost every year, including leading the league with 60 in 2013. This team currently has 14 sacks through nine games. That puts them on pace to finish with 26-28 on the season, only a few better than the 21 they put up with Rex in 2015. So either, this scheme just isn't productive for this particular group of players or... (and this is what I think the case is) this group just isn't as good as we'd thought. 

And it's all well and good to have a team full of hard working players who wanna win and put the team first, but sometimes they're gonna have to take a chance on and deal with a player who may not completely have that same mentality but has talent. Can't be all boy scouts. You need a little nasty to win in this league. 

Edited by blacklabel

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

It's not the # of snaps. It's his role in setting up the defensive scheme. His ability to PLUG UP the middle of the line, take on 2 blockers disrupts the opposing team's running game, leaving ends, backers and safeties to come in and finish the job as the running back is stopping, pausing waiting for linemen to make a hole. 

Once you stop the other team's run-game, it becomes 2nd and long, 3rd and long - bam they become predictable, their play calling limited, they become one-dimensional. We cover their wideouts in a zone, our tall long secondary and linebackers tip the balls get picks or tackle them after short yardage. Even though we can not get to the quarterback, it was fine because of the way we played this way.

That was our recipe for success earlier in the season. Without him in there, we can't stop the run, we never could put pressure on the QB or stop the pass so every option was available to the other team and thus makes defending that much worse. 

Edited by CanadianFan
  • Thank you (+1) 4

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How did the Run Defense look with Dareus?

Isnt that more important in a playoff fighting year over a 6th that you could have gotten in the offseason after this year anyway?

Top run defense reduced to ashes. He took on double teams and triple teams on occasion which allowed LBs and others to make plays. Kyle  Williams looking very old and ordinary hasn't helped either. Hughes and Lawson have seemed to disapper without the big man as well. Dumping Darius when they did was an arrogant act and Beans ego needs to be knocked down a number of pegs. He took a defense that had been overachieving and destroyed it. 

I'm not apologizing for anything.  He had the worst contract in the NFL, and was under performing.  He played in 8 games last year.  He's late for meetings, he crashed his car drag racing, got caught with synthetic weed, been suspended multiple times.  He was even late to the actual FIELD for a preseason game.  An away-game!

Guy has no accountability, and was paid to be our best player.  Also - conditioning has been an issue.  

Edited by dneveu

If they honestly wanted to make the playoffs this year, it was a completely awful trade. All this BS culture talk.  You know what helps the culture: winning. And you win with talent.  

But all will will be forgiven when we miss the playoffs after starting 5-2 when we draft the next Brady with that 6th round pick.

yesterday was embarrassing. We got bullied by a team that has been one of the softest in the nfl for a decade. 

• Thank you (+1) 1