Hughes and composure

Hughes didn't do the team any favors when he let his temper get the best of him, but the Bills were probably on the way to losing anyway. I'm sure he'll get a lecture from Sean McDermott, but I don't think his stupid act was any more costly to the Bills than a lot of other stuff that other Bills players either did or failed to do, like Nick O'Leary not being aware the play was still alive after making a first down catch and losing his balance.

Hughes didn't do the team any favors when he let his temper get the best of him, but the Bills were probably on the way to losing anyway. I'm sure he'll get a lecture from Sean McDermott, but I don't think his stupid act was any more costly to the Bills than a lot of other stuff that other Bills players either did or failed to do, like Nick O'Leary not being aware the play was still alive after making a first down catch and losing his balance.

My thought, too.

He's having a great year. His game play and the penalty was right in line with the rest of the team today.

To be fair, I thought it was a ticky tacky penalty. When I saw the penalty announced I was PO. Then on the replay, I don't really know what he did wrong? Not wait for them to bring out the sticks? Maybe he was dropping F-bombs on the way to the sideline but to be fair, I was too.

To be fair, I thought it was a ticky tacky penalty. When I saw the penalty announced I was PO. Then on the replay, I don't really know what he did wrong? Not wait for them to bring out the sticks? Maybe he was dropping F-bombs on the way to the sideline but to be fair, I was too.

He was mouthing off to the refs. Whatever he said, he was saying it directly to them as he walked off, and they kept telling him "That's enough!" and then they threw a flag. We will never know what he was saying, but it was idiotic.

Difference is Hughes cares too much, Dareus doesn't.

About himself. He's been in the league for years now. They would have still lost, but the game was still in reach at that point and the Bills would have challenged that spot and the Jets would have punted.

It was out of frustration over the way they were being dominated on both sides of the line. His actions were no different from the way they played.

No, it was over the spot. The Bills player tackled the Jets running back 1 yard short of the first down and the ref game him the first down. One of the Bills defenders was discussing with the Ref and the ref smiled.

My thought, too.

He's having a great year. His game play and the penalty was right in line with the rest of the team today.

He's having a very good year. Not "great" by any means.

An objective analysis: PFF has him (before last night) as the 10th best "edge defender" in the NFL this year. You're a really good team if your roster is composed of the 10th best performer at every position! But he ain't Von Miller ...

The question I have is why did it take two refs to talk it over and then throw the flag after Hughes was on the sidelines. Ultimately I don't think it altered the games outcome but felt like it was a proverbial poke of the eyes of an angry bear.

Edited by The Jokeman

The question I have is why did it take two refs to talk it over and then throw the flag after Hughes was on the sidelines. Ultimately I don't think it altered the games outcome but felt like it was a proverbial poke of the eyes of an angry bear.

It was absolutely an unnecessary flag. This was the typical ref got his feelings hurt. Ref messed up a critical spot and got called out on it. He didn't touch the ref and wasn't out of control. Stupid flag

McD isnt the type of coach to put up with this kind of illdiscipline. Hughes will be gone if he does this again. The process may have started already after last night. It was a really stupid penalty.

Not so sure about that. I think McDerm will deal with it but didn't seem to be warranted.

He's having a very good year. Not "great" by any means.

An objective analysis: PFF has him (before last night) as the 10th best "edge defender" in the NFL this year. You're a really good team if your roster is composed of the 10th best performer at every position! But he ain't Von Miller ...

True. He's having a solid year, but not elite. He seems to have games where he's unblockable and others he seems to disappear for stretches.

His penalties are more under control this season, probably because they're doing better on the field.

I think he told the ref he sucked worse than Dennison's play calling and that drew the flag..

:lol:

It was time for a "Ref Show." These refs were ridiculous. Flags all over the place. IT's like they love their own voice. You know what, your an NFL ref, get over players yelling at you.

I remember McDermott, the media, and some Bills fans, praising the highly emotional response on the sidelines after the 1st down catch near the end of Sundays game. Saying how that level of emotion is a good thing for the team and so on. Well, that kind of emotion is a double edged sword and it can really hurt you when things aren't going your way. That was evident last night.

This has become a reoccurring thing with him. He makes big penalties in big games. To me, they will be looking for his replacement soon. Those penalties are unacceptable.

Now that he is on his own in pass rushing. He has become a JAG very fast. He goes all out but seems to be neutralized a lot.

The play before was holding on the Jets, and they initially moved it back to 3rd and 7, instead of 3rd and 11. Then they gave the guy the first down. I cannot blame Hughes for talking to the ref. He said "That's enough," twice, and Hughes backed off. Then the refs put their heads together and decided to jam it right up the Bills butts, as if that was necessary.

We were outplayed, but the fumble at the end of the half cost us the chance to kick for the tie. The other fumbles were costly. Many of the penalties were marginal. Taylor was hit helmet-to-helmet, which if Brady was the QB the guy would have been thrown out of the game. The announcer said maybe it was because he was out of the pocket. Oh, that makes perfect sense.

It's better to play badly and lose than to play great and lose. We have a lot of film to study. I believe we'll be back with a vengeance next week against the Saints. I also agree with Richie that playing a road game on Thursday is utter b.s.

OK. Next.

I think he told the ref he sucked worse than Dennison's play calling and that drew the flag..

That would piss me off too. Nothing is that smelly.

I'd love to find out what actually happened. He didn't touch the ref. Obviously it was for verbal abuse. I just don't think you call it at that point in the game. Unless he had been strongly we warned and then did it again anyway.