Patriots trade Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine. We will just sit here with our 6th round pick and think we sure are lucky someone was willing to give us that!

IDK what you are talking about! The Jags took Dareus's entire contract for that sixth rounder. That is a HUGE amount of money we are saving and we got the draft pick. a draft pick need i remind anyone he wasn't even worth. He barely showed up for games, was POS character guy, so yeah, I will gladly take the 6th for him.

Honestly I think SF is dumb for making that move. They aren't saving their season this year. It hurts them to get better at this point and there is really no saying they would be better. They were on their way to the top pick in the draft.

Grab a QB at the top and have another practically late 1st round pick. If Jimmy was so good the Pats would have kept him and traded Brady at the end of the season while signing Jimmy long term.

SF got fleeced and the Pats got away with it again.

Belichick takes advantage of yet another dumb organization. Suckers.

He could have gotten a 1st and more before the 2017 draft according to multiple reports, but settles now for a 2nd. Seems like he, in his great wisdom, :censored: himself this time. B-)

He could have gotten a 1st and more before the 2017 draft according to multiple reports, but settles now for a 2nd. Seems like he, in his great wisdom, :censored: himself this time. B-)

They clearly weren't 100% comfortable that Tommy Boy was still in his prime, so they held onto Janine.

Now that they can get Hoyer (which I'm sure was part of a wink-nod arrangement with SF) to be Tommy Boy's clipboard holder, they felt better about moving him.

@rapsheet

The #49ers will try to extend QB Jimmy Garoppolo, but an extension was not part of the deal, Im told. Nothing is close or imminent.

If hes smart, hell sign a long term deal with them before stepping foot on the field on a Sunday. Its a good situation to go to with an offensive guru there. Hes not going to find anything much better. And he should get as much guaranteed money before he flames out.

Honestly I think SF is dumb for making that move. They aren't saving their season this year. It hurts them to get better at this point and there is really no saying they would be better. They were on their way to the top pick in the draft.

Grab a QB at the top and have another practically late 1st round pick. If Jimmy was so good the Pats would have kept him and traded Brady at the end of the season while signing Jimmy long term.

SF got fleeced and the Pats got away with it again.

Obviously, SF doesn't think that the 2018 QB class is all that much.

@BuckyBrooks

.@49ers decision to trade for Jimmy G might be an indictment of the 2018 QB class. SF likely didn't see multiple franchise QBs at the top..

Agreed. Before the collegiate football season starts, every draft class is "the greatest in a generation" except that it's only that generational class about once in a generation. Some really good QBs play as advertised but decide to stay in school. Some really good underclass QBs return as seniors and lose their sparkle. Most of the shiny new college QBs, even those drafted in the top half of the first round, are destined to be disappointments, and for those drafted in the bottom half of the first round or lower, probably 80-90% can't even rise to the level of competent backup.

Garoppollo has already proven that he's a competent backup, so he's likely to be at least a decent starter, especially for a team with nowhere to go but up. If they're lucky, he could turn out as good Dalton, Tannehill or Cousins, which would make him a bargain.

@BuckyBrooks

.@49ers decision to trade for Jimmy G might be an indictment of the 2018 QB class. SF likely didn't see multiple franchise QBs at the top..

More likely, they like Garappolo and are enticed by the massive haul of picks they will garner by trading down from 1 or 2 this April. Smart move.

More likely, they like Garappolo and are enticed by the massive haul of picks they will garner by trading down from 1 or 2 this April. Smart move.

I can see also that scenario unfolding with so many teams in need of a QB.

@greggabe

If you don’t think the Garoppolo trade is an indictment of ‘18 QB class than you don’t understand how front office people think

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No. Brady will retire a Pat.

Yeah.

Honestly, regardless of what Brady says I have little doubt he has three more years in him. That is more than enough time for the Pats to find 1, or go through even 2 possible replacements.

Man, even if he announced that he is retiring at the end of 2018 they'd still have time.

I can see also that scenario unfolding with so many teams in need of a QB.

@greggabe

If you don’t think the Garoppolo trade is an indictment of ‘18 QB class than you don’t understand how front office people think

I agree. There may be a good QB (or more) in the 2018 class, but damn if I can predict who it will be. Last year there was Watson, at least, as a clear NFL QB talent.

This deal makes me wonder if Belichick might be planning on retiring with Brady (when the time comes).

With Garoppolo under center, it looked like the Pats were poised to enter the next 15 years without missing a beat.

it makes all the sense. They have a developed, schooled QB ready to start.... and also a likely top 3 pick to trade for a treasure trove.

This deal makes me wonder if Belichick might be planning on retiring with Brady (when the time comes).

With Garoppolo under center, it looked like the Pats were poised to enter the next 15 years without missing a beat.

it makes all the sense. They have a developed, schooled QB ready to start.... and also a likely top 3 pick to trade for a treasure trove.

The local consensus among the media is that BB wanted Jimmy as his next quarterback but Brady's play made it impossible to give him the job. This actually makes a ton of sense. It explains why they took less now than they could have got in April.

Billy B. made a statement in his presser that solidified all

of their opinions. He had been meeting with Garropolo every week, they say he never does that.

Wonder if he wanted to trade Brady but got overruled and or his play wouldn't allow it. They also say that Bellicheck sent him to a team of his choice where he knows he will get the right coaching.

In short BB and JG BBFS

Just heard there is a good chance that Browns trade for AJ mccarron. Stay tuned.

That would be huge. I feel like McCarron and Landry Jones are similar to Garoppolo as they play behind a franchise QB who the team isnt sure about mileage left.

McCarron, Jones, and Garoppolo all would do well on the open market.

The local consensus among the media is that BB wanted Jimmy as his next quarterback but Brady's play made it impossible to give him the job. This actually makes a ton of sense. It explains why they took less now than they could have got in April.

Billy B. made a statement in his presser that solidified all

of their opinions. He had been meeting with Garropolo every week, they say he never does that.

Wonder if he wanted to trade Brady but got overruled and or his play wouldn't allow it. They also say that Bellicheck sent him to a team of his choice where he knows he will get the right coaching.

I would be shocked if Brady didn't have a "no trade" or "approve trade" clause in his contract.

Part of what makes Belicheck great is that he wants to win, period. So I don't think he "wanted" Jimmy as his next QB. He's going to stick with Brady as long as Brady performs.

I think there are echos of the Watkins trade here: they hedged their bets and kept Garroppolo as the backup through as much of the season as they could just in case Brady's play fell off, but I'm thinking he made it clear he is not going to be content to remain a backup through his second contract, he wants starter pay and he's going to get it somewhere. So rather than either let him walk or franchise him, NE got what they could at the last possible moment.

Press conference was interesting. Garroppolo is a "good" QB and a "great" teammate.

This was my thought as well. They have sooooo many holes at just about every position on both sides of the ball. A boatload of draft picks has to be enticing.

Plus, Garoppolo has been being groomed (by Brady, Belichick, McDaniels etc) to start for the last 4 years. He is probably much more ready to step in and start than any rookie QB from the 2018 class is going to be.

And if he works out, they only spent a 2nd on a starting QB as opposed to a #1 or #2 overall pick (plus all the assets they miss out on by not trading the pick).

If he doesn't work out, they can still decide to draft a QB high in 2018.

This is the guy we need to trade for if it's only a 3rd rd pick.

i really dont think the Bengals are looking to trade him but I suppose it depends how much the Browns are willing to give up

Have we seen an inter-division QB trade since Bledsoe? I cant recall

Edited by YoloinOhio