Patriots trade Jimmy Garoppolo to SF

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they could have, but they would be taking a chance he'd sign elsewhere with so many QB needy teams.

Well if they already have agreed to sign him long term (I imagine they have or else its really dumb) then they are/were already in the ball park, and if they really wanted him so bad Im sure they would have paid him what he wanted.

@patscap

The Jimmy G trade allows the Pats to franchise tag Malcolm Butler. The 2017 franchise tag number for CBs was $14.212M.

No phucking way they sink that much into the CB position between him and Gilmore.

@gregvorse

#Patriots trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo to the #49ers for 2018 2nd-round pick, per @AdamSchefter.

@adamschefter

With Jimmy Garoppolo traded to SF, the Patriots now buying into the idea that Tom Brady can play well into his 40s.

This now means that Kirk Cousins will have one less landing spot in free agency. There will be plenty of interest. But SF is out.

49ers and Patriots began talking trade Monday morning and, by tonight, the trade was officially agreed upon. Garoppolo to San Francisco.

Wow.

What a story to break Yolo

(Thru Schefty)

Yeah he really is. Any team that pays him is toast.

You are correct sir. Although hardly unusual, yesterday's game by him was brutal.

What do you want in a qb? If you don’t want 13 tds to 4 picks and 1900 yards with no run game to speak of and a defense that’s getting torched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd round pick is OK but they traded a bonified NFL QB with absolutely nothing behind Brady. I mean if Tommy Boy games a shot to the knees or messes up his arm or shoulder they are finished. Seems like a good trade if your a Bills fan. Id rather they have a second rounder than a sure fire backup

We really may have a shot at cousins

You should talk to some Redskins fans about Cousins. One of the most overrated players in the NFL. They can't wait for him to be gone in Washington.

Edited by MDFan

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

You should talk to some Redskins fans about Cousins. One of the most overrated players in the NFL. They can't wait for him to be gone in Washington.

Sounds familiar

2nd round pick is OK but they traded a bonified NFL QB with absolutely nothing behind Brady. I mean if Tommy Boy games a shot to the knees or messes up his arm or shoulder they are finished. Seems like a good trade if your a Bills fan. Id rather they have a second rounder than a sure fire backup

Jimmy is just like all the other Pat back-ups (not bonified NFL QBs).

Going to take $25 or $30 mil a year to sign Cousins.....not happening in Buffalo imho. If the 'skins franchise Cousins again, its $35 mil for the 2018 season. Were I Cousins, I would consider taking that risk. Has done it successfully already two times...........

Speculation is that Brady can play well into his 40s...

Watch McBean give up the draft for #1 overall pick.

Well, someone's gonna trade for that 49ers 1st/2nd overall pick. Although their QB situation has been so horrible that I'd assume Jimmy will get them at least 2 or 3 wins. The 2018 draft just got a lot more interesting.

Sounds familiar

Yes, no doubt, but the clamoring for Cousins is without merit. Great passing stats, losing record. He is not considered a leader by the team management or players. You will hear all sorts of excuses for his play, but the bottom line is that he just does not have it. The Redskins are moving on. Buyer beware.

Edited by MDFan

@salsports

If the Bills (or any team) want to trade up for a QB, the 49ers just became a very interesting trade partner. They wont be drafting a QB in Rd 1 next year.

This is the million dollar takeaway from this news, from a Bills perspective.

San Fran could be picking #1 overall, and would be smart to trade that away if they think they now have their QB.

They should sell their pick to someone who values it more greatly than SF does.

Wonder what it would take to buy that pick from them.

A LOT....THAT IS FOR SURE!

Seriously, I don't think Jimmy G will be a first-rate QB in the NFL, outside of NE. But he's decent and has a chance to prove me wrong.

OTOH, NE has nobody. Whoever they sign, it will likely be a level or two down from Jimmy, if only for the reason he's coming to the system cold. NOW is the time for teams to go full on, to take Marcia Brady out of the game.

Bring it on!!!!

From Belichick's perspective: if Brady goes down with a significant injury, there's no way the Pats are winning another Super Bowl. That was true with Jimmy G. there as a good backup, and it's doubly true with whatever scrub is the backup now. And for the Pats, it's either win the Super Bowl or declare the season a failure. There's also no they'd do a Packers-style switchover from Brady to Jimmy (even if Brady weren't under contract). So for them this was an easy move to make. We get used to evaluating moves from the perspective of a Bills type team. That's a mistake.

Edited by The Frankish Reich