Are the Bills Oppressing Anquan Boldin?

Gugny

Boldin for a 7th round pick to whatever team wants him.

If that don't work, then Boldin for a McDonald's hot coffee light and sweet will work too...

But seriously, I agree with the majority here. He signed a contract and that's that. Not like he will do much for a team anyway (man is he slow or what?), but I like how Beane is handling the situation.

Bolden to the Pats and he goes on to burn us for 100 yards and 2 TDs? No thank you. Send him to the NFC. AFC teams are off the table.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of equity do we have in Boldin? Nothing. The point is: with NFL players, why do teams have the right to deprive a man the right to pursue a career just because they hold his rights.

They hold his rights because HE CHOSE to sign them away.

Personal accountability. Just that simple.

Contractual rights. It's a business and both parties knew that when they signed said contract.

And I never did hear how the signing bonus was handled when AB 'retired'...

As I understand it, a typical contract requires that in the event of retirement, any signing bonus amortized into the current year's salary cap must be repaid.

He was on the Bills for what, a week?

I think it's wrong that they need to approve any kind of trade.

Just let the man pursue his dreams and further his career.

I feel that the Bills are treating Boldin as "their property," and it's unjust.

He is free to un-retire and pursue his dreams and his career right here in Buffalo, where he freely chose to sign an exclusive rights contract.

Boldin held his own self back.

He signed a law abiding agreement money for his services with other contractual language included.

No one held Boldin and forced him to agree to the terms of the contract.

Just like Boldin couldnt have forced Pegula to pay him a certain amount; similarly Pegula couldnt force Boldin yo play.

Thats how things work in Matureville.

Edited by Bill_with_it

He had the freedom to sign with any team.

He signed with the Bills.

He did not buy in and decided that he would rather save the world.

Now that he has saved the world, he wants to play football.

He has a contract with the Bills.

Because he has a contract with the Bills, he can play for the Bills or seek permission for a trade.

What's the problem?

Oh, no. No trolling. This is Gugny. He's damn serious. In fact, it's not just the Bills oppressing him. It's America. It's you and you and you and me.

It's everyone.

Everyone but Gugny.

No. It's just the Bills and Boldin. Not you, me, or anyone else. You think you're a pretty important dude, I see.

There you go again, making this into something that it isn't. And don't wrap KD into your little world; he didn't ask for it.

No. It's just the Bills and Boldin. Not you, me, or anyone else. You think you're a pretty important dude, I see.

There you go again, making this into something that it isn't. And don't wrap KD into your little world; he didn't ask for it.

You understand your view is misguided, don't you?

Hold on, you weren't joking around? You think that Boldin is being oppressed and needs to be unchained?

I think, but I am not positive, that I read he gave the signing bonus back.

Even if he gave back the bonus, he basically hung the Bills out to dry and if he doesn't want to play for Buffalo (or they are no longer interested) it's smart management to get something in return for him going to another team.

He was on the Bills for what, a week?

I think it's wrong that they need to approve any kind of trade.

Just let the man pursue his dreams and further his career.

I feel that the Bills are treating Boldin as "their property," and it's unjust.

If he'd had a longer tenure with Buffalo, YES, I would get it.

But he never played a meaningful down. They should just unchain him and let him go to whichever team he chooses.

Like everyone is saying, he's old and washed up, so why does it matter? Why do they need to get something in return?

Did we cut him or did he walk away from his teammates and our team? He got paid and had contract so we have his rights. Maybe we would have signed some other free agent if he did not sign with us and then reneg. He owes us something.

I would give up a 7th in 2019 if it means our team is the first to end the perpetual treatment of old players as cattle or shares of stock. These guys are humans... not widgets that can be tucked in a barn and sold only when you feel like it. IMO

old cows have a porpoise. Old NFL players, not so much.

A 14 yr old cow is worth as much as a 3 yr old cow.

Poor comparison unless you want me to slap down Boldin, brand his ass and castrate him.

I might agree with you if you could provide a real world situation in which that actually happened. A landlord trading your kitchen for a toilet hasn't ever happened, ever. You're just imagining crazy scenarios.

It's called making a point and doesn't have to be "real world". And the point was Boldin's rather shabby actions are partial understood by what the Bills did. He's a man at the end of a long and distinguished career who wanted to go out a winner. He signed with a team making loud noises about just that - who immediately took actions which looked like they were writing-off the season & tanking. As for the original post, I don't have strong feelings either way. Neither side looked good in this fracas. The OP might have done better if he'd not mentioned "oppressing" and simply asked if the Bills should be magnanimous. The idea being : (1) They themselves aren't entirely blameless, (2) The man has a long career worthy of respect, (3) Any recompense would be piddling....

One question was whether the signing bonus was or wasn't paid back. I've heard it both ways.....

Edited by grb

This has nothing to do with oppression. Boldin signed a contract and was well compensated for the 2 weeks here was here. He freely chose to sign contract and freely chose to walk away. Within weeks of walking away we were already hearing rumors that Boldin wanted back in the NFL. If Bills just let him walk and he signed with the Patriots it would make Bills look bad. If he wanted to go back to Cardinals, I believe Bills would probably end up waiving compensation. I just think Bills have some vested interest in where he might play and they are being smart.

Simply put: Boldin is our property. Thats how contracts work. If he was a 3 year veteran who did this, would we even be discussing this? No, not at all.

Boldin signed with us to play, he chose to retire...as the rules state, he can play with us since we own his rights. OR, we can trade him, which we are seemingly facilitating. What is wrong with that? The Bills oppressing him would be if Boldin said "hey I want to come back", and the Bills responded by saying "We don't want you, so sit at home, K Bye"

He had the freedom to sign with any team.

He signed with the Bills.

He did not buy in and decided that he would rather save the world.

Now that he has saved the world, he wants to play football.

He has a contract with the Bills.

Because he has a contract with the Bills, he can play for the Bills or seek permission for a trade.

What's the problem?

Excellent summation

Poor comparison unless you want me to slap down Boldin, brand his ass and castrate him.

If Boldin is grass-fed, do you think we can get a 3rd round pick for him?

ok. Lets say you have dairy cows. You rent a 2005 County Fair Grand Champion thinking it will produce quality milk and youre down two or three good cows. So you milk that beast and find out the quality sucks. So you bring in a few new cows and find out they produce decent milk. Then your old cow (that produced low quality milk while it was in your barn) wanders out into pasture for a few weeks. While in the pasture, she gazes over to Old Man Peebodies farm and sees the green hills and nice clean sawdust in the barn and thinks I can still make milk for Old Man Peebody. You sense that the old cow wanted to go to the neighbors farm. Who are you to deprive the old girl one last chance to make a difference? She deserves a chance to make milk for another farm. Open that gate, swat her in the ass and let her run!! Heyawww. Go on now. Git!!

If Boldin is grass-fed, do you think we can get a 3rd round pick for him?

no way. Even the best grass is 18% protein. There is no way he would be able to maintain a physique required to play in the league with so little protein.

ok. Lets say you have dairy cows. You rent a 2005 County Fair Grand Champion thinking it will produce quality milk and youre down two or three good cows. So you milk that beast and find out the quality sucks. So you bring in a few new cows and find out they produce decent milk. Then your old cow (that produced low quality milk while it was in your barn) wanders out into pasture for a few weeks. While in the pasture, she gazes over to Old Man Peebodies farm and sees the green hills and nice clean sawdust in the barn and thinks I can still make milk for Old Man Peebody. You sense that the old cow wanted to go to the neighbors farm. Who are you to deprive the old girl one last chance to make a difference? She deserves a chance to make milk for another farm. Open that gate, swat her in the ass and let her run!! Heyawww. Go on now. Git!!

John Stewart,the douche from comedy Central bought a retirement farm in VA. He is basically wasting tens of thousands a year

I hope this is a joke... if not it should be. Nice way to try and stir to pot by the original poster, lets make it a race thing... NICE JOB!

WE OWE HIM NOTHING... he is under contract with the bills... Sit for the year would have been my answer, not because he is black, but because he quit.

I hope this is a joke... if not it should be. Nice way to try and stir to pot by the original poster, lets make it a race thing... NICE JOB!

WE OWE HIM NOTHING... he is under contract with the bills... Sit for the year would have been my answer, not because he is black, but because he quit.

Please re-read my OP. There is NOTHING AT ALL that points to race.

This is worse than what Sony put George Michael through. And no ... not because he may/may not have been gay.