Are the Bills Oppressing Anquan Boldin?

Gugny

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the OP was trying to say that in this era of tension and conflict between Colin K. and ownership, maybe the Pegulas should offer the olive branch to the players and show good faith by waiving any right to compensation. I mean, seriously, by holding out for a 2019 7th round draft pick, how are we helping the cause. Just release him and show the NFL that the Bills are above the fray. By demanding compensation, it seems we are treating Boldin as a piece of meat. Let the man pursue his career (and still seek social justice on weekends).

Business is business. He's not a piece of meat; he signed a contract.

I think the OP was trying to say that in this era of tension and conflict between Colin K. and ownership, maybe the Pegulas should offer the olive branch to the players and show good faith by waiving any right to compensation. I mean, seriously, by holding out for a 2019 7th round draft pick, how are we helping the cause. Just release him and show the NFL that the Bills are above the fray. By demanding compensation, it seems we are treating Boldin as a piece of meat. Let the man pursue his career (and still seek social justice on weekends).

Well, wed have an extra 7th round pick in 19? Sorry, but will he come back and play for us and say Hey, never mind, keep the money?

I fully understand the point, but I disagree with going that way. Why throw away anything of value? We are not that rich. :)

Edited by Augie

And he thought I no longer have two of the three or four things I signed up for.

I understand the greater point you are trying to make... the work conditions changed, perhaps, to his dissatisfaction. However, outside of that just being speculative, it was never something he demanded nor "signed up for" aka put i his contract which he indeed signed up for. IF he wanted those conditions that badly he could have had a funky "no trade clause" (concerning those two) in his contract. As far as we know he didnt. Therefore, he broke a valid contract. Most of us have signed up for something then perhaps have had buyer's remorse and had to stick it out - just is life.

He was on the Bills for what, a week?

I think it's wrong that they need to approve any kind of trade.

Just let the man pursue his dreams and further his career.

I feel that the Bills are treating Boldin as "their property," and it's unjust.

If he'd had a longer tenure with Buffalo, YES, I would get it.

But he never played a meaningful down. They should just unchain him and let him go to whichever team he chooses.

Like everyone is saying, he's old and washed up, so why does it matter? Why do they need to get something in return?

There have been way too many tongue in cheek racial comments on this board lately. Wtf is up with this thread? Why is it even still open?

I understand the greater point you are trying to make... the work conditions changed, perhaps, to his dissatisfaction. However, outside of that just being speculative, it was never something he demanded nor "signed up for" aka put i his contract which he indeed signed up for. IF he wanted those conditions that badly he could have had a funky "no trade clause" (concerning those two) in his contract. As far as we know he didnt. Therefore, he broke a valid contract. Most of us have signed up for something then perhaps have had buyer's remorse and had to stick it out - just is life.

I agree with most of that. But contracts are not guaranteed. The Bills could cut him at any hour, without notice, or reason for that matter, and he doesn't get that contract. And he can walk away, too, at any time and he doesn't get that contract. Which he did. I think he let the Bills down. But I'm trying to look at it from his perspective.

Also wrong.

We have to as a franchise send a message that people cant do this kind of **** and get away with it.

Also wrong.

We have to as a franchise send a message that people cant do this kind of **** and get away with it.

We need to send a message that an old, washed up WR can't reconsider his retirement from football? I doubt that a team would even give up a 2022 7th round pick for him. We don't want to come across as the scorned ex-girlfriend. Release the Boldin.

Interesting

Yeah, man. Profound. I Googled "oppression quotes."

We need to send a message that an old, washed up WR can't reconsider his retirement from football? I doubt that a team would even give up a 2022 7th round pick for him. We don't want to come across as the scorned ex-girlfriend. Release the Boldin.

Exactly. Old, washed up WR today. Someone NOT old, washed up tomorrow.

And I really don't care what we come across as. !@#$er can stay retired.

I agree with most of that. But contracts are not guaranteed. The Bills could cut him at any hour, without notice, or reason for that matter, and he doesn't get that contract. And he can walk away, too, at any time and he doesn't get that contract. Which he did. I think he let the Bills down. But I'm trying to look at it from his perspective.

I agree. However, once again, he could have negotiated a signing bonus that buffers against what you said. I think the Bills are meeting him halfway - the are allowing him to look around and find his worth. Worst case scenario for Bolden is that no one wants anything to do with him IF it includes a commitment on their part (an asset to be sent to Buffalo). He is a 15 year veteran with TONS of accolades.... I can not sell him short with Anquan not understanding the business side of football. Also, what is Sammy Broke his leg 2nd preseason game and THEN he retired with the same sense that he thinks the Bills are hot garbage now. Does that change things for him or others? Still wasn't (speculatively) what he signed up for. It is just too much of a slippery slope- thus a contract that both parties sign free from coercion.

I agree. However, once again, he could have negotiated a signing bonus that buffers against what you said. I think the Bills are meeting him halfway - the are allowing him to look around and find his worth. Worst case scenario for Bolden is that no one wants anything to do with him IF it includes a commitment on their part (an asset to be sent to Buffalo). He is a 15 year veteran with TONS of accolades.... I can not sell him short with Anquan not understanding the business side of football. Also, what is Sammy Broke his leg 2nd preseason game and THEN he retired with the same sense that he thinks the Bills are hot garbage now. Does that change things for him or others? Still wasn't (speculatively) what he signed up for. It is just too much of a slippery slope- thus a contract that both parties sign free from coercion.

I think he got a small signing bonus and gave it back.

This is either some nice trolling or......

I assumed at first it was just good satire....except I realized who the OP was and recall his increasingly radical and bizarre takes on Kaepernick and other nonsense 'issues' lately.

3416ddf03a3c089e8c72b1a30996c881--help-h

Come see the violence inherent in the system!! :lol:

Thanks for that, that's my favorite scene in the whole movie.

But he never played a meaningful down. They should just unchain him and let him go to whichever team he chooses.

Like everyone is saying, he's old and washed up, so why does it matter? Why do they need to get something in return?

Don't sign a #!@$#! CONTRACT if you don't want someone to have your rights and then bail on them like a douche!!!

Pursue THIS, Boldin.

:censored:

Oh, no. No trolling. This is Gugny. He's damn serious. In fact, it's not just the Bills oppressing him. It's America. It's you and you and you and me.

It's everyone.

Everyone but Gugny.

What kind of equity do we have in Boldin? Nothing. The point is: with NFL players, why do teams have the right to deprive a man the right to pursue a career just because they hold his rights. We see how the Steelers treat Bryant by relegating him to the Scout Squad just because he spoke up. God forbid a man make a statement or express his feelings - he is then treated as a bad dog - punished and kept outside for the night. Really pretty sad treatment of fellow man if you ask me (see also Ritchie Incognito. Likewise punished by the NFL for a non-issue).

What kind of equity do we have in Boldin? Nothing. The point is: with NFL players, why do teams have the right to deprive a man the right to pursue a career just because they hold his rights. We see how the Steelers treat Bryant by relegating him to the Scout Squad just because he spoke up. God forbid a man make a statement or express his feelings - he is then treated as a bad dog - punished and kept outside for the night. Really pretty sad treatment of fellow man if you ask me (see also Ritchie Incognito. Likewise punished by the NFL for a non-issue).

Huh? When exactly did Boldin show up at OBD ready to play and was told "no thanks, we're all set at WR"?

It’s contractual. What’s in writing trumps all else. If we can get a 7th a decade from now, it’s better than nothing.

Its contractual. Whats in writing trumps all else. If we can get a 7th a decade from now, its better than nothing.

I would give up a 7th in 2019 if it means our team is the first to end the perpetual treatment of old players as cattle or shares of stock. These guys are humans... not widgets that can be tucked in a barn and sold only when you feel like it. IMO

Do we know if he asked to come back to play for the Bills? He signed a contract to play here then reneged on it.

I don’t see how the Bills are impeding his right to work unless they refused him a roster spot. After the fact he desired to work elsewhere,as though that contract meant nothing.

I would give up a 7th in 2019 if it means our team is the first to end the perpetual treatment of old players as cattle or shares of stock. These guys are humans... not widgets that can be tucked in a barn and sold only when you feel like it. IMO

I love the feel good/human interest side, but it’s a business. If he’s not worth a 7th 2 years down the road, he’s the problem....he has zero value.

Oppressing. "unchain him." Like he's out in a field, picking cotton.

:lol:

Asshattery.

Agreed

You got a lot of code pink in you!

Edited by Buffaloflash

BTW - I am thrilled you re not our GM! :)

Poor, poor players who make millions upon millions of dollars that agree to collective bargaining agreements and rules establishing their rights as players.

When they agreed and signed as competent adult males, it became their decision and not yours.

Business is business. Why would the Bills potentially give up a tradeable asset for no reason? Makes zero sense. He signed the contract then quit.

Boldin for a 7th round pick to whatever team wants him.

If that don't work, then Boldin for a McDonald's hot coffee light and sweet will work too...

But seriously, I agree with the majority here. He signed a contract and that's that. Not like he will do much for a team anyway (man is he slow or what?), but I like how Beane is handling the situation.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

Is this actually non-sarcastic? Appears 90% kidding, but ...

Anyway, they wasted time on him. If they can get something for him they should. He probably got a few hundred bucks too for his time at camp or activities.

They've got his rights. If he isn't going to retire, he should be here.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't subscribe to the premise of this thread. Moreover, I find the use of "oppressed" in this situation to be extraordinarily disrepectful and intellectually disingenuous.

Boldin is unquestionably a professional. In his professional opinion, it was worth it for him to enter into the contract with the Bills. Now he has to honor the agreement he made. You guys think we should have released Jim Kelly's rights too? Was Jim oppressed?

Where the !@#$ are we as a society when somebody wants to break a fair and binding employment contract, and somehow the other party on the contract is oppressing him? It is Boldin who is not doing what he said he would, is not living up to the deal, and it is obvious "retiring" was just a ploy to gain attention and/or get to play for a team he wanted to. No sympathy from me for a pro athlete who clearly knew what he was getting into, and has reaped the benefit of the NFL money machine long enough to know how it works.

Multimillionaire cattle that live a richer life than almost everyone else on the planet.

Cry me a river. They should be prepared to fulfill the obligations of the contracts that they sign, just like everyone else.