Why aren't the Bills getting more sacks?

I'm a little disappointed that our front 4 is not hitting the QB more. We're close a lot and we've had some strip sacks, but if we could get to the QB a split second sooner we'd be an elite defense. Coach Wauffle needs to find a way to turn the pass rush up a notch.

I was about to post something similar. The lack of pressure is very concerning. The good teams will eat us alive unless we find a way to get to the QB better.

I'm a little disappointed that our front 4 is not hitting the QB more. We're close a lot and we've had some strip sacks, but if we could get to the QB a split second sooner we'd be an elite defense. Coach Wauffle needs to find a way to turn the pass rush up a notch.

sometimes QB pressure is as good as a sack. It caused 4 possible INT's, 2 made.

No, I'm not a relative of Rex Ryan

I'd prefer they didn't hit a QB a fraction of a second late and draw a flag.

Opposing coaches have enough film now to know how to slow down the pass rush (i.e. quick passes). Plus Frazier and McD insist on running a lot vanilla looks with little to no blitzing relying on the front four to generate pressure.

Also don't be surprised if more teams take a page out of the Bucs playbook and run the no huddle more against us, seems like we struggled big time with it yesterday especially in the 2nd half when the Bucs started scoring TD's instead of FG's.

A big issue it seems to me is lack of consistent push up the middle. Kyle does not seem to have the explosion he once had and Dareus, who they are paying to be that guy, is a shadow of his once dominating self, forcing them to use lesser players in that role. I expect a penetrating DT is going to be a very high priority in next year's draft. All great pass rushing teams have this.

Edited by MDFan

I was about to post something similar. The lack of pressure is very concerning. The good teams will eat us alive unless we find a way to get to the QB better.

Actually, they've been pretty good bringing pressure. It's the sacks that have been lacking. And there are far more knowledgeable D students - which I sure am not - around here who believe constant pressure is more important than sacks, probably because when QBs are constantly hurried, they tend to make turnovers, just as happened with JW yesterday. He easily could have two more INTs.

Actually, they've been pretty good bringing pressure. It's the sacks that have been lacking. And there are far more knowledgeable D students - which I sure am not - around here who believe constant pressure is more important than sacks, probably because when QBs are constantly hurried, they tend to make turnovers, just as happened with JW yesterday. He easily could have two more INTs.

This is how I see it, too. I am also not knowledgeable with regard to defenses, however.

I feel like the D is doing a great job stuffing the run and applying pressure to the QB.

What concerns me more than the lack of sacks is the number of missed tackles behind the LOS. We get our fair share; but we seem to miss a lot, too.

Everyone loves to see sacks but offenses have been getting the ball out quicker or having backs stay in and help. There were several pressures on Winston yesterday where he just threw the ball to get rid of it.....some he completed, others he didnt. Some QB's will stay stand there for an extra second to take the hit while giving their WR's time and others wont.

They have been getting pressure. It's just not translating into sacks. It's one of the reasons why we have the 2nd highest rating in defense for QBR, somewhere around 66 and its why the good teams haven't been eating us alive. Its also the reason why our secondary has looked for the most part pretty good. Things didn't look all that good yesterday, especially in the second half, but by that time EJ Gaines was out again. He is the thread that holds it all together in the secondary for us. without him we are in real trouble.

What is really frustrating me is during the game yesterday, there was several occasions where our best defensive players were on the sideline.....Hughes, K Williams and Dareus were together on the sideline. You want to rotate guys that's fine, but McD is going ex-stream with it and its effecting the defensive rhythm.

A big issue it seems to me is lack of consistent push up the middle. Kyle does not seem to have the explosion he once had and Dareus, who they are paying to be that guy, is a shadow of his once dominating self, forcing them to use lesser players in that role. I expect a penetrating DT is going to be a very high priority in next year's draft. All great pass rushing teams have this.

I think this is a very good possibility.

I also think that McDermott will target Star Lotuleilei in free agency.

I agree its a concern. Biggest problem is Dareus. Over his last 28 games MD had 6.5 sacks. Thats bad.

I dont want to hear the argument that MD is a DT and hes not paid to get sacks. A DT like Dareus is paid to do both: stop the run and pass rush.

Over his last 22 games Atkins has 13 sacks.

Donald over his last 22 games has 11.

Mccoy over his last 21 games has 9.

Dareus is held to those standards, and hes not performing to that level.

I don't know. It's definitely "concerning" though. Seriously though, I was hoping they could get a little more pressure on Winston than they did. The strip fumble was great though.

Bucs seemed to have a pretty good blocking scheme in place and were making it tough to get to him.

I'm not much of a D student either, but I guess I saw it differently. I saw pressure on some plays, but not very many. My recollection was that the pressure was coming when they blitzed, which I don't think was very often. When we rushed 4, it didn't seem like we were getting much pressure at all. Some of that was due to quick releases, but not all since there were plenty of deep drops.

That is right, we have not played any good teams?

Well, if we're thinking the Broncos and Falcons, they scored 7 points collectively yesterday and neither one of them is looking all that good right now. Then there's Carolina, who I can't figure out. They don't seem so great either, getting handled by Chicago. I was referring to top teams.

I don't know. It's definitely "concerning" though. Seriously though, I was hoping they could get a little more pressure on Winston than they did. The strip fumble was great though.

Bucs seemed to have a pretty good blocking scheme in place and were making it tough to get to him.

They do have a decent line and to JWs credit he was mobile enough when necessary and also got the ball out quickly.

I'm not much of a D student either, but I guess I saw it differently. I saw pressure on some plays, but not very many. My recollection was that the pressure was coming when they blitzed, which I don't think was very often. When we rushed 4, it didn't seem like we were getting much pressure at all. Some of that was due to quick releases, but not all since there were plenty of deep drops.

Well, if we're thinking the Broncos and Falcons, they scored 7 points collectively yesterday and neither one of them is looking all that good right now. Then there's Carolina, who I can't figure out. They don't seem so great either, getting handled by Chicago. I was referring to top teams.

Vic Fangio defenses always seem to give Newton problems.

They do have a decent line and to JWs credit he was mobile enough when necessary and also got the ball out quickly.

Yeah, they definitely had the right game plan in place. That team has a good Oline and stacked with weapons. I expect them to start making a run in the 2nd half of the season. Bucs are no push over, that's for sure.

We just don't have the horses on the edge.

Hughes is a little overrated. He comes out like a bat out of hell every year and then disappears

If he isn't ramping it up and on pace for 10+ sacks we will struggle to get the QB

I don't know man. We are pretty good. Bucs were just well prepared and had a good game plan and blocking scheme. I thin k there will be plenty more sacks to come. It's just sometimes when a team has a pretty good Oline and they are well prepared and ready, sacks are always going to be a little more difficult to come by.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

I don't know man. We are pretty good. Bucs were just well prepared and had a good game plan and blocking scheme. I thin k there will be plenty more sacks to come. It's just sometimes when a team has a pretty good Oline and they are well prepared and ready, sacks are always going to be a little more difficult to come by.

By no means do I think we are terrible at rushing the passer

But

We are just not as potent as when we had an all pro Dareus , all pro Mario, Kyle and Jerry all going full blow. Mario is gone and everybody is a little older, some may have gotten lazier...

I think we are better and run stuffing now over rushing the passer and I'm cool with it.

Edited by Buffalo716

Yeah, they definitely had the right game plan in place. That team has a good Oline and stacked with weapons. I expect them to start making a run in the 2nd half of the season. Bucs are no push over, that's for sure.

Something is just off with that team and its hard to pinpoint. Ultimately the main problem may be Koetter. I dont think hes all that good of a HC. But that team simply isnt clicking on all cylinders week in/week out

Something is just off with that team and its hard to pinpoint. Ultimately the main problem may be Koetter. I dont think hes all that good of a HC. But that team simply isnt clicking on all cylinders week in/week out

I'm not sure he is a good HC either but that's the best game I have seen him call all season. (If he is still calling the plays)

I'm not sure he is a good HC either but that's the best game I have seen him call all season. (If he is still calling the plays)

Hes deinitely a solid offensive mind. Notice a bit of mutiny possibly brewing in Tampa with Baker and Ward openly complaining about playing time. That defense should be better than it is.

I agree with the majority. We need to gain pressure. Love to see this team prove itself against the Raiders and Jets the next few weeks.

The Jets are an under thought still. It will be a great test for this team, if they want to compete in the AFC and AFC East. Carr has been great getting the ball out quick and McCown has allowed a Jets team to compete in every game. Its been a while, but Im excited to see this team do what it can do. These two games are a great test to see where this team stands. Getting to the QB will be a huge factor in both contests. Hope they go 2-0.

Love to see this team 6-2 going into the Saints game.

The pressure is turning into turnovers. I'd rather have turnovers than sacks any day.