Stop linking to Buffalo News aritcles

xsoldier54

Did it cost you money to post this?

Did it cost you money to go to the main page?

Do you think SDS gets the subscription fee?

Sometimes I WISH this site DID cost money. It would have saved this site when BBMB was shut down.

This is my homepage on my mobile phone and I spend way more time on these boards than anywhere else on the internet. My cost? FREE

Yeah I think 95% of the idiotic posts have occurred since BBMB shut down...now I see why

This still boils down to some that are just to lazy to scroll down. Society just continues to go down hill.

I don’t like that. It takes a half a second to do that. Please make it simpler.

I will say no more.

No not really, guy made a simple suggestion & was called a dipshit. It is all good.

No, he didn't. He made demands. He backed it up with false assertions. After facing resistance, he changed his story completely and pretended it was his original point all along. I'm not a fan of that style of argument.

I had already been thinking about BN article placement well before the suggestion was floated on page whatever. I have several options that I'm considering. I'd be happy to discuss them with reasonable people. Posting a topic title that says Stop linking to Buffalo News articles isn't a suggestion.

If I ran TwoBillsDrive I would not be upset to hear from customers on what they would like to see in the site. If you are yelling at this poster to just not click the Buffalo News links and go somewhere else, then you clearly don't understand the benefits of customer feedback.

Like many of you I really like the forums and that is why I come to TwoBillsDrive. I don't click the articles at all. Not because I don't want to pay but because I believe the Buffalo News writers aren't worth paying for at any price. I would not click them if they were free. Reading the Buffalo News you learn very little about the Bills IMO. There are other writers that teach you about the intricacies of the Bills offense/defense and organization as a whole that i would much rather see linked on this site. We are an educated fan base, the materials posted on a great site like TwoBillsDrive should reflect that IMO.

I literally have an entire subforum dedicated to feedback from the community.

I'm never upset to hear constructive feedback. I don't get nearly enough. However, I'm not fond of selfish complaining.

It is easy to understand. You dared questioned SDS. You don't ever do that around these parts. Believe me I know first hand.

Because I've never questioned the great abd powerful SDS.

We've always gotten along, haven't we, Scott?

Because I've never questioned the great abd powerful SDS.

We've always gotten along, haven't we, Scott?

I have no idea what your history is with SDS. I do think calling the OP a (*^*&%^$^#is a bit harsh. I don't think he deserved that.

Filling a web page with a series of links that aren't accessible to the majority of its traffic is poor design, plane and simple.

Fans who don't live in Buffalo aren't going to subscribe to its local newspaper, so if they are going to pay wall links, they should be removed. There is plenty of bills pay-walled content that is not linked, so I can't see how this board can justify posting some pay walled links and not others. I'm also not subscribing to Buffalo news because I don't live in Buffalo, and they continue to employ an old angry white man who likes to sprinkle his articles with more than a tinge of racism.

Edited by MURPHD6

Filling a web page with a series of links that aren't accessible to the majority of its traffic can't access is poor design, plane and simple.

Fans who don't live in Buffalo aren't going to subscribe to its local newspaper, so if they are going to pay wall links: they should be removed. There is plenty of bills pay-walled content that is not linked, so I can't see how this board can justify posting some pay walled links and not others. I'm also not subscribing to Buffalo news because I don't live in Buffalo, and they continue to employ an old angry white man who likes to sprinkle his articles with more than a tinge of racism.

Surely you can provide the traffic statistics to back up this claim, right?

Filling a web page with a series of links that aren't accessible to the majority of its traffic is poor design, plane and simple.

Fans who don't live in Buffalo aren't going to subscribe to its local newspaper, so if they are going to pay wall links, they should be removed. There is plenty of bills pay-walled content that is not linked, so I can't see how this board can justify posting some pay walled links and not others. I'm also not subscribing to Buffalo news because I don't live in Buffalo, and they continue to employ an old angry white man who likes to sprinkle his articles with more than a tinge of racism.

You used "white" to describe the guy then used the R word. Oh never mind.

Where did you get the Venn diagram showing TBD readers and BN subscribers. That would be good info to have. Pass it along!

You can subscribe to Bills news only. It's $3 per month. I would think out of town Bills fans would be a prime audience.

Filling a web page with a series of links that aren't accessible to the majority of its traffic can't access is poor design, plane and simple.

Fans who don't live in Buffalo aren't going to subscribe to its local newspaper, so if they are going to pay wall links: they should be removed. There is plenty of bills pay-walled content that is not linked, so I can't see how this board can justify posting some pay walled links and not others. I'm also not subscribing to Buffalo news because I don't live in Buffalo, and they continue to employ an old angry white man who likes to sprinkle his articles with more than a tinge of racism.

Good stuff.

I should also add that despite the fact the paywall went up 7 weeks ago or so... I haven't devoted any time to our display of the issue because I knew I was redesigning the front page. Now that it has been up for a day or so, I can start to evaluate the best way to present the information.

And a follow on point, I believe in promoting real journalism. I don't live in NYC, but I subscribe to the the NYT. They do good work. I also have always driven traffic to content producers to help them get paid. I believe the hometown newspaper needs to be supported, so the answer is that TBD will always support them as long as I own the site. That's my prerogative.

I have not settled on the best way to support subscribers and non-subscribers. I implemented an icon as a first cut. Now, I will evaluate our next step.

I agree with you. I like the discussion part the best. Just would like to be able to read an article that looks to be interesting without having to pay for it.

$2.99 to read articles on a fan site that is supposed to be free. Just asking for more content that I don't have to pay to read.

It's brutal to repeatedly open a link on a very public page and have to pay for it, the WSJ does this as well.

OP was absolutely NOT making a suggestion, he came in whining and complaining and then acted like he was just being innocuous when he got called out.

This site is free. It links to both subscription and non-subscription content. Stop whining or just leave. The entitlement in these posts are pathetic. You are entitled to absolutely nothing. Thanks for running a great site SDS.

Edited by ndirish1978

I think we should replace the news feed with Twitter feeds and put 26 out of business.

This is were I would call myself, a dipshit.

Why? You are 10000% correct. Everything these people tweet ends up in an article they want you to pay for.

Tweets are free (for now)

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Fans who don't live in Buffalo aren't going to subscribe to its local newspaper, so if they are going to pay wall links, they should be removed.

I don't live in Buffalo and never have, but I subscribe to their Bills content.

Would appreciate if the moderators would post articles from other publications that do not require you to pay to read them. There are plenty of other sources for Bills related material besides the Buffalo News. I can't read 99% of the articles on the page because you have to subscribe in order to read them. If the Buffalo News wants to require a subscription to read their material, then that's fine, it's their newspaper and their right. I just would like to continue to read articles on Two Bills Drive without having to pay to do so. Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes, I agree.

I don't subscribe to the Buffalo News, and will not in the future. I don't mind having links for those who do, but I would love to see an effort made to link to free articles too.

Didn't you see the post indicating 50% of the linked articles on TBD today are free? :doh:

SDS -- keep doing exactly what you're doing. Hopefully these ingrates will just leave and it will clean up things a bit around here.

Thank you! I have never seen so much hand-wringing over $3 a month in my life. Damn, in 1978 when I was the paperboy for the Courier and making $12 bucks a week, I would not have sweated $3.00.

Good God people, if you don't like the layout of TBD, let SDS know with some suggestions on how you might re-design in the feedback forum and quit whining or just go the $#%# away.

This site is free

Why would anybody have a problem paying a nominal fee to read the Buffalo news? I'm actually surprised it took them so long to follow suit and stop posting their content for free like many other major newspapers did years ago.

Either way BN definitely worth the money to be able to read Jerry Sullivan, Vic Carucci, etc. They know the pulse of this team and have leveraged their sources for years to bring the most unbiased, tell it like it is take regarding the Bills, Sabres, etc.

Why would anybody have a problem paying a nominal fee to read the Buffalo news? I'm actually surprised it took them so long to follow suit and stop posting their content for free like many other major newspapers did years ago.

Either way BN definitely worth the money to be able to read Jerry Sullivan, Vic Carucci, etc. They know the pulse of this team and have leveraged their sources for years to bring the most unbiased, tell it like it is take regarding the Bills, Sabres, etc.

troll game is weak brother

Why? You are 10000% correct. Everything these people tweet ends up in an article they want you to pay for.

Tweets are free (for now)

because if you're not paying attention you don't see it. Also when 26 does it he tends to either add the tweet to a common thread or starts a new one if it's worth discussing.

I find myself in a good deal of his threads because of his following and posting to the board.

Bills fans who grew up in Buffalo and no longer live there may subscribe

No need to stop linking to BN articles, but PLEASE mix them up a little with non-paywall sources. Please ALTERNATE the articles instead of just posting a full page of Buffalo News links with one little Rochester or Syracuse link somewhere at the end. As it is now, this site looks like it's first purpose is to steer people only to BN, and I've pretty much stopped using it except for the Stadium Wall (which is a great source of football business education for me)