Stop linking to Buffalo News aritcles

xsoldier54

March 1-2-3-4, March 1-2-3-4...

A month that will live in infamy here

Why would anybody have a problem paying a nominal fee to read the Buffalo news? I'm actually surprised it took them so long to follow suit and stop posting their content for free like many other major newspapers did years ago.

Either way BN definitely worth the money to be able to read Jerry Sullivan, Vic Carucci, etc. They know the pulse of this team and have leveraged their sources for years to bring the most unbiased, tell it like it is take regarding the Bills, Sabres, etc.

This is the first funny thing you've ever posted. Moved up a rung in my book. Still on negative rungs, but you're one higher.

No need to stop linking to BN articles, but PLEASE mix them up a little with non-paywall sources. Please ALTERNATE the articles instead of just posting a full page of Buffalo News links with one little Rochester or Syracuse link somewhere at the end. As it is now, this site looks like it's first purpose is to steer people only to BN, and I've pretty much stopped using it except for the Stadium Wall (which is a great source of football business education for me)

Pretty sure they are posted by date/time stamp. Not really surprising the BN would be putting out more content quicker than other sources more often is it?

Pretty sure they are posted by date/time stamp. Not really surprising the BN would be putting out more content quicker than other sources more often is it?

It is more like, you go to one site and list what they have. Then you go to site 2, etc...

Those are our time stamps not theirs.

It is more like, you go to one site and list what they have. Then you go to site 2, etc...

Those are our time stamps not theirs.

Gotcha, well then make BN your first stop so the other "free" stuff is at the top. Problem solved. Just a "suggestion".

:thumbsup:

Edited by The Wiz

Scott, I say, take the plunge and make TBD a pay site.

I'd be embarrassed at publicly commenting on something I could easily ignore, or could partake in for $3/month. Shocked at how many are mentioning this, I guess I shouldn't be.

Moving TBD to a pay site would probably do wonders to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Scott, I say, take the plunge and make TBD a pay site.

I'd be embarrassed at publicly commenting on something I could easily ignore, or could partake in for $3/month. Shocked at how many are mentioning this, I guess I shouldn't be.

Moving TBD to a pay site would probably do wonders to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Really, you just need to start a tipping thread to see what people really think about money... :)

How much might it cost to do a pay site?

I am retired, cost are a Concern.

I could cut out the WiFi in the truck or the unlimited car washes.

I could even stop playing scratch offs.

Whats all this talk about a pay site? Ive been sending $14.99 each month for the last 6 years to BuffaloBill for subscription dues and he promised me hed take care of it. Isnt everyone??

More frequent use of the 'ignore' feature by many people would be a good option as well. A lot of TSW trolls here would dry up and blow away if they didn't get the attention they desire.

That said, the size of that 'manage ignore prefs' list needs to be significantly increased as well. I'm constantly forced to weed out old names to add in new ones as I'm maxed out at 16 pages...

Would appreciate if the moderators would post articles from other publications that do not require you to pay to read them. There are plenty of other sources for Bills related material besides the Buffalo News. I can't read 99% of the articles on the page because you have to subscribe in order to read them. If the Buffalo News wants to require a subscription to read their material, then that's fine, it's their newspaper and their right. I just would like to continue to read articles on Two Bills Drive without having to pay to do so. Anyone else feel the same way?

100%

At least they now show what's locked to save you the time of clicking to hit a paywall.

hope buffalo news is paying for posting so much of their paid articles. the site might be free, but the members it reach is invaluable. contnent is only good if their is people to consume it. Please remember that

Please list these "invaluable" members? Cause I know I'm not one.

Any great business for product needs customers or consumers. What good is the product if no one ever uses it. The fact is, this site has a group of individuals that loves bills football. The buffalo news knows this. I hope the owner of the site knows this. Sorry you value yourself so little. LOL

I don't think SDS was upset at all. In fact, as I recall, he had a thread on the main board asking for suggestions from us on multiple occasions. But it's gotten to the point where every little whim can't be addressed (such as telling the owner not to post links to paid/subscription articles, or God forbid, that the articles should be mixed up better on the front page). In addition, there is a thread above (TBD Re-design) which is pinned where you guys can gripe about how the owner has set the site up the way he wants. So thankfully, you don't run TBD.

I was not calling anyone specific out, just general comments to the poster about keeping quiet and not clicking the locked links. Why are you jumping to the conclusion I am calling SDS out? I was not aware of the location for site feedback however it is also important to note I am also not the one who posted the topic.

If there is a site feedback location it sounds as if TwoBillsDrive and I are on the same page. Where you are is anyone's guess.

hope buffalo news is paying for posting so much of their paid articles. the site might be free, but the members it reach is invaluable. contnent is only good if their is people to consume it. Please remember that

Any great business for product needs customers or consumers. What good is the product if no one ever uses it. The fact is, this site has a group of individuals that loves bills football. The buffalo news knows this. I hope the owner of the site knows this. Sorry you value yourself so little. LOL

LOL. I've been doing this since 1996. 21 years. I think I have a decent grasp of the situation.

But no - I have not ever received a dime from the Buffalo News. People who suggest this are effing nuts. They get $3 a month for a subscriber - what do you think they are actually going to give me? Answer: not enough to care. I'm happy they are still in business. Journalism is important stuff. Maybe not sports journalism, but real newspapers with professional journalists are critical to our society. Support them.

How many percentage wise compared to the Buffalo News? Look at the page right now and tell me how many you see from those other papers compared to the Buffalo News..

I just checked, 24 linked articles, 13 from the News, 11 are not. And many of the Buffalo News articles don't look very interesting.

I was not calling anyone specific out, just general comments to the poster about keeping quiet and not clicking the locked links. Why are you jumping to the conclusion I am calling SDS out? I was not aware of the location for site feedback however it is also important to note I am also not the one who posted the topic.

If there is a site feedback location it sounds as if TwoBillsDrive and I are on the same page. Where you are is anyone's guess.

This is literally a subforum at the top of this one that is cleverly titled:

Two Bills Drive Redesign

Community based feedback on design direction of the site...

I couldn't be more transparent with it if I wanted to.

Would appreciate if the moderators would post articles from other publications that do not require you to pay to read them. There are plenty of other sources for Bills related material besides the Buffalo News. I can't read 99% of the articles on the page because you have to subscribe in order to read them. If the Buffalo News wants to require a subscription to read their material, then that's fine, it's their newspaper and their right. I just would like to continue to read articles on Two Bills Drive without having to pay to do so. Anyone else feel the same way?

how bout we continue to post articles from as many sources as possible.

you click on what you like or choose to.

if you don't want to "pay" for something...that's fine.....just don't take that option away from others.

Sorry. I thought I read how if you owned TBD you wouldnt be upset with consumer (freeloader) feedback. Which this owner clearly isnt. My bad.

It is a very fair question. This site will just shrivel and die. Who's going to come to a website for free info that requires you to pay for said free info?

Good luck twobillsdrive. It was a good run, I'll remember the laughs.

This is beyond silly by the way. At least espn insider offers the entire sports world for a subscription price. You guys (twobillsdrive owners) are chumps.

Id stick my head inside a pot of boiling water before Id subscribe to insider. ESPN can go pluck themselves.

This thread reminds me of a FB discussion in my town about the most popular street for Trick or Treating. It's gotten so big that it draws crowds from neighboring towns too. The street residents go all out to decorate and open up the homes (not just give out candy).

So somebody suggested a donation for the owners on the street, and sure enough there wasn't a shortage of indignation of how anyone could even suggest that. After all, people who live on that street can afford an extra bag or two of candy. Never mind that some houses go through thousands of treats on Halloween.

This thread reminds me of a FB discussion in my town about the most popular street for Trick or Treating. It's gotten so big that it draws crowds from neighboring towns too. The street residents go all out to decorate and open up the homes (not just give out candy).

So somebody suggested a donation for the owners on the street, and sure enough there wasn't a shortage of indignation of how anyone could even suggest that. After all, people who live on that street can afford an extra bag or two of candy. Never mind that some houses go through thousands of treats on Halloween.

It always blows my mind that people who are getting stuff for free think they can then demand things. There is a place on this site were people can make suggestions for things they would like changed in the design. OP decided he would instead start a thread demanding things be changed because that's what he wants. He deserves the scorn he gets.

That's right and it's three dollars more than I am willing to pay on what is supposed to be a free site.

Who said that BN is supposed to be a free site? I know it used to be, but it's a newspaper. They're simply adapting to the times. How many people subscribe to actual newspapers every week? I'm sure it was probably twice as many people 10-15 years ago.

OP gets invited to people's home for dinner and then complains about the presentation of the meal.

If this thread is an example of the OP's general demeanor, I doubt he receives many invitations anywhere.

Nothing in life is free. The subscripton of three dollars might look small, but they get most of their real money from advertising. Posting so much of their content on one site is valuable and is worth a lot more to them than you would realize. I really enjoy the camaraderie on this forum, and what link us all is our love for all things bills. The front page could do with less content from the Buffalo news, because we know they are trying to sell subscription services for free. The fact that you the owner don't benefit from that makes it worse.

If this thread is an example of the OP's general demeanor, I doubt he receives many invitations anywhere.

It's just such miserable behavior. It's not like the only links on the front page are from TBN, there are links to free articles. I don't understand taking the time to repeatedly complain about something you are receiving for free and then arguing with the person providing it to you. Also, I am super disappointed no one has taken a shot at the OP for misspelling the word "articles."

Its a free site, we don't get paid to be grammatically correct. If you want that service, that would be 3 dollars. Thank you

Bleh, that's a predictably uninspired attempt at humor. No one here is charging you a penny. You have a problem, complain to TBN. Send your complaints to: NoOneCares@PleaseGoSomewhereElse.com. Missed a period at the end there buddy.