Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry you will forever be the guy who was upset because he didn't know how to explain to his kid 2 people of the same sex kissing in public. It is hard to discuss this topic with you without thinking about that. My post was simply to draw attention to the fact that we are not that far off from systemic institutionalized discriminatory racism and to pretend that in just 50 years it has vanished is naive at best imo.

I kind of think it's naive to assume that things haven't changed that much. It's not like 50 years ago everyone was racist and then change started; it's been over 50 years since the dominant culture officially rejected racial discrimination, and we've moved rapidly and obsessively in that direction ever since.

We now live in a culture that views racism as the supreme evil and anti-racism as the greatest virtue. Even saying something slightly racist can destroy a career. There's little worse than being labeled a white racist in America.

Yet the sanctimonious "we have a long way to go" crowd ignores all of that and despite the absence of much supporting evidence declares we're a nation "steeped in racism" without any sense of historical or global perspective.

But who needs evidence when you have self-righteous snark to support your position.

I kind of think it's naive to assume that things haven't changed that much. It's not like 50 years ago everyone was racist and then change started; it's been over 50 years since the dominant culture officially rejected racial discrimination, and we've moved rapidly and obsessively in that direction ever since.

We now live in a culture that views racism as the supreme evil and anti-racism as the greatest virtue. Even saying something slightly racist can destroy a career. There's little worse than being labeled a white racist in America.

Yet the sanctimonious "we have a long way to go" crowd ignores all of that and despite the absence of much supporting evidence declares we're a nation "steeped in racism" without any sense of historical or global perspective.

But who needs evidence when you have self-righteous snark to support your position.

I've long said that racism witch hunts are akin to McCarthyism.

Racism is the new Communism.

I recently took a dna ancestry test. Guess what? I'm 1.2% victim!! Raising my fist daily now and pulling out the racial/victim card because now that I'm 1.2% victim....I can!!!

Can't wait to make more money and start my own protest AND make excuses for my performance because of my newly found race! Booya!!

1 drop of black blood is all it takes to be black. Edited by reddogblitz

Haven't read 29 pages but if Tyrod actually thinks consistently with his statement, the Bills should consider cutting him. Obviously the guy can't self assess his own play vs expectations for someone at his pay grade and his position. He's been a decent quarterback but not one that should command a long term deal at current NFL starter money. Not yet anyway. Give the ball to someone who won't make that excuse, black, white, brown, yellow or purple.

Does Taylor have cause to feel frustrated how his performance is perceived? I'd say yes, but for a variety of reasons. But leaving aside the question of race in that, one general observation on black athletes :

They seem to have an easier time embodying any number of undesirable traits - such as "selfish" or "arrogant" or "obnoxious" - than their white peers. Given human nature, that sorta thing is never far off - so it's a bit unfair black athletes appear to have an inside track. My favorite example is "thug". I've see that term thrown around a lot in sports talk, but can't ever remember a white "thug". A few year back Virginia Tech had a very-white (honest-to-god) "thug" kicker. But I don't think anyone ever called him that.......

Romanowski, Matt Jones and/or Ryan Leaf would qualify, IMO. Janikowski was thuggish at some point IIRC.

Personally I am not questioning where he was drafted.....Nathan Peterman was drafted in the 5th round and he may actually be a good qb in the end. I am trying to point out that Tyrod was greatly stereotyped coming out of college because of his extreme athletism

He HAS grown as a QB in his time as a backup to baltimore....if he was as bad as some make him out to be he would not have gotten an opportunity to start.

Maybe we do need better...but it should not take away from what he has actually accomplished and there are too many people trying to brush that aside.

That is all I am trying to say

Be that as it may (or may not), the point is that none of his criticisms or "standards" to which he is being held, have one iota of a schit to do with the color of his skin and he is a prick for even saying it. I hope the Bills win every game, but I hope he plays like schit and gets his ass handed to him (not wishing injury, though).

Making fun of blind people is always fun.

:lol:

Well....................It was obvious to everyone that I was making fun of #Badol's posts and his (?) inability to see others viewpoints.

but thanks for taking the time out of your "how many drops of blood make you Black" discussion.

:D

I am glad Tyrod spoke up about an issue that has been ignored and swept under the rug for too long.

The abuse heaped upon star athletes in our society.

It can start even before high school. Then in high school they are singled out, identified, forced to interact with cheerleaders and other icky girl people. For some it gets crueler still where they are made to sign letters binding them to colleges and then torn from their homes. When away from the safety of their family homes, they are subjected to more harassment from girl and women people, but now there is no escape and it can last all night long. They are also subjected to the horrors of perks from people calling themselves "boosters".

Thankfully the most tragic outcomes are uncommon. But poor Tyrod is one of those uncommon few. Tyrod Taylor is a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Will the nightmare never end for Tyrod??

Tyrod Taylor is more than an abuse survivor. Tyrod Taylor is Hero.

giphy.gif

LOL

+ 1

I'm sorry, but this is MY #1 post of the year.

Thank you for finding something humorous in this.

Hilarious.

888******************************************************

SEE ABOVE POST

Edited by San-O

I hope the Bills do the right thing and just cut all the black players. They'll no longer be oppressed by the expectations placed on football players, and a team composed solely of white players should handily win every game with the privilege their lack of skin pigmentation gives them...

Had no idea this thread was based on something Tyrod thought or said, so I just ignored it. To find out he actually thinks and is publicly stating this is so pathetically lame and disappointing, especially after that stinkfest in Cincinnati.

We are 70 years removed from Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball.

We are 63 years removed from Brown vs. Board of Education.

We are 54 years removed from "I have a dream." and "segregation today, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever"

91 million Americans are older than 54

So 91 million Americans were alive during a time when it was perfectly acceptable to discriminate based on the color of skin. It would be a broad (and ignorant) stroke to say they were all racist but imo it would be just as ignorant to pretend that some of these people don't still hold onto their racist ideals sports figure or not.

I think we as America are making a lot of progress and the further these events get away from current events the better off we will be but they aren't that far in our rear view.

So 240 million Americans have never lived one day in those eras?

And when your big evidence is that no one under 60 can even remember any of that stuff (much less still feel related to it), I'd say those events ARE that far in our rear view.

I hope the Bills do the right thing and just cut all the black players. They'll no longer be oppressed by the expectations placed on football players, and a team composed solely of white players should handily win every game with the privilege their lack of skin pigmentation gives them...

Somewhere .... Chip Kelly is smiling ...

Just so you guys know, Frank Reich (white) beat Warren Moon (black) in the Greatest Comeback game. Reich and Marv Levy were clearly racist for doing so...as was Beebe, Andre Reed (3 TDs) and the other 20 Bills playing that day. I read a lot of news articles after that victory and almost all of them blamed the loss on Moons skin color. IIRC

not sure why a global perspective is needed. America is far from cured of it's racist passed. In fact the current climate as brought what was once hidden out to into the light and frightingly so

Tyord: Alex Smith would like to know why he is also called a "game manager" and routinely criticized. Is he black?

and Alex Smith is a better game manager. This country has always struggled with racism and bias but lumping Taylor into the discussion does a massive injustice to the real issues

He exceeds everyone on that list in productivity. Fitzpatrick is the only one who comes close.

really ? Fitz threw over 25 tds twice and FItz wasn't any good either. Taylor is simply not a good qb.

You obviously didnt watch the 30 for 30

It was right there and documented.....Tyrod Taylor had a fantastic combine in the athletism department and his agent went right to him and said he was being asked if Tyrod would like to change his position to wide receiver because of his physical talents. Tyrod stuck to his guns and wanted to be drafted as a quarterback,

Lets also say this...Tyrod comeing up of college was NOT Michael Vick....he had qb deficiencies that he actually worked on while with Baltimore and he grew as a qb.....qbs mature at different rates and are often drafted based on potential.....and he was viewed as a certain kind of player and THAT is why he fell in the draft...not specically because he was black but because of the athlete stereotypel he fell into.

Tyrod has lasted longer then ALL the qbs drafted in front of him and has had greater success......he IS a good NFL qb even if he is not a franchise player

he is not a good nfl qb. not even close. he is basically an athlete playing qb. Just as teabow was. Yes Taylor has a better arm but he doesn't do enough with it to translate into effective qb play

not sure why a global perspective is needed. America is far from cured of it's racist passed. In fact the current climate as brought what was once hidden out to into the light and frightingly so

and Alex Smith is a better game manager. This country has always struggled with racism and bias but lumping Taylor into the discussion does a massive injustice to the real issues

really ? Fitz threw over 25 tds twice and FItz wasn't any good either. Taylor is simply not a good qb.

he is not a good nfl qb. not even close. he is basically an athlete playing qb. Just as teabow was. Yes Taylor has a better arm but he doesn't do enough with it to translate into effective qb play

F8 !!!

BS !! Plain & simple !!

He's held to a higher standard because he's playing in a league where the players are suppose to be the best of the best not mediocre or middle of the road .

Taylor has been decent at what he does but in B/lo seeing as the fan base & the team has been starving for a NFL caliber QB he will be put under a microscope every time he turns around especially when he has Tommy B. in the same division .

Taylor is a really good game managing QB but when the chips are down & he needs to carry the team he doesn't do it , thats where the comparison is .

Brady can take just about any one at the WR position & he makes them better because of how good he is & thats what TT & many other QB's around the league don't do plain & simple ...

From now on, I will embrace this country's racist passed [sic], and expect Tyrod Taylor to be no more than 3/5 as good as a white QB.

I don't agree with his take. I think he's held to a standard of what QB play is within the league. But I also won't tell an African-American athlete what to say about his race since I haven't walked in his shoes. I would like to think racism is not a factor in how he's perceived, but that would be naïve at best.

Trying a different tack.

Tyrod and every black person get held to a tougher standard by some. Call it the "black people driving in white neighborhoods get pulled over a lot more" standard if you just want to know what almost all black people have to deal with daily, and at the extremes, it gets a lot uglier. Given this, why is it so hard to believe that Tyrod, playing a predominantly white position, would not be held to a different standard because he's black?

That doesn't mean he's got the skill of Tom Brady and we're all missing it. He's just noting that racial bias and racism are both real, and he is likely subject to them.

It's possible to separate whether he's a good enough QB from the fact that he's the subject of more critical judgments by some people due to his race. Said another way, you can have a debate about his QB qualities separate from a discussion about whether the fan base acts racist.

Enjoy the thread.

Trying a different tack.

Tyrod and every black person get held to a tougher standard by some. Call it the "black people driving in white neighborhoods get pulled over a lot more" standard if you just want to know what almost all black people have to deal with daily, and at the extremes, it gets a lot uglier. Given this, why is it so hard to believe that Tyrod, playing a predominantly white position, would not be held to a different standard because he's black?

That doesn't mean he's got the skill of Tom Brady and we're all missing it. He's just noting that racial bias and racism are both real, and he is likely subject to them.

It's possible to separate whether he's a good enough QB from the fact that he's the subject of more critical judgments by some people due to his race. Said another way, you can have a debate about his QB qualities separate from a discussion about whether the fan base acts racist.

Enjoy the thread.

Tyrod would be held to a lower standard if this was true, as already stated in this thread.

baskingridgebillsfan, on 17 Oct 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Yeah and he had the interceptions to go with them to negated much of that production. The Bills can make the playoffs with a winning record under Taylor.

The problem with Tyrod has almost NOTHING to do with all of the stats that people on here keep quoting.

His problem is that virtually NEVER leads a game winning fourth quarter drive when the Team needs one. PERIOD!

Change that one thing and nothing else matters. And by the way, that same trait separates virtually ALL of the highly respected QBs.

Trying a different tack.

Enjoy the thread.

I guess it COULD be possible that Tyrod is held to a different standard than white quarterbacks... but where he loses legitimacy in his argument, to me, is when he claims that Aaron Rodgers is a mobile quarterback, but suggests that he doesn't get labeled as such because he is white.

I think everyone would agree that Rogers is, first and foremost, an elite passer- whereas the same cannot be said for Tyrod Taylor... of course Rogers has some speed and elusiveness in the pocket but it is not his first best skill as it is with Tyrod... therefore most people find it hard to accept Taylor's argument because the foundation for which he bases it on is weak imo...both Derek Carr and Aaron Rogers produce at a high-level in the passing game. Until Taylor does the same he will always be seen as a running quarterback regardless of skin color .

Edited by JaCrispy

Need an Italian recipe for tonight guys, dates coming over and we are cooking together.

999999-999999-6414404306v2.jpg?odnBound=
A jar of prego. Texas toast with cheese. Spaghetti noodles. Frozen meatballs. Parmesean cheese. Chopped Mushrooms in a can.

You can get all the above at the grocery store.

Boil the noodles for ten minutes. Put them on a plate. Pour some prego on top. Nuke it for 90 secs. Follow the instructions on the texas toast box. I think its 350 for 6-8 minutes but I could be wrong. Double check the box. Put the texas toast in the oven about four minutes after you start the noodles.Cook the frozen meatballs for 18 mins at 350. Your good to go.

Wanna get really fancy add some mushrooms to the sauce before nuking it. You can usually get chopped mushrooms in a can for less than a buck.

Get her drunk before hand. Shell think emiril made the meal. You can probably get a cheap bottle of vodka for under ten bucks.

Edited by Billsmovinup

The problem with Tyrod has almost NOTHING to do with all of the stats that people on here keep quoting.

His problem is that virtually NEVER leads a game winning fourth quarter drive when the Team needs one. PERIOD!

Change that one thing and nothing else matters. And by the way, that same trait separates virtually ALL of the highly respected QBs.

Yes, I agree this is certainly part of the problem