Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

Where?

Quote from article.

Bills QB Tyrod Taylor believes he's 'held to a higher standard' because he's African-American

Who are the ones that hold him to a higher standard because he is African-American?

Nobody in Buffalo does that that. Sure race is still a problem in America but Buffalo fans don't hold that against him they just want to make a playoff run for once and want a QB good enough to do it. Don't care if he is orange, yellow, blue whatever color has zero to do with it.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tony Romo is the perfect example to combat this argument. Last I checked Romo is White and for the longest time he was bagged on for being a choke artist who couldn't win a playoff game. The media, Cowboys fans, and NFL fans would laugh at the idea of him winning a big game for years.

Taylor gets bagged on because he throws for 182 yards a game in a league where Average QBs(Dalton) can throw for 300 yards on any given Sunday. He gets bagged on because he never can get the Bills over the hump in close games besides 2. The Dolphins game last year and the Titans game where we won 14-13 and had more to do with the defense than his performance.

He's absolutely right. This team could be 5-0. 5-0 if he could have put up more than 3 point against the Panthers. 5-0 if he could have put up more than 6 points when the Bills D gave the offense multiple turnover opportunities and short fields.

People on this board would bag on any QB like that no matter the color of their skin. For the longest time people bagged on Chris Kelsey because he was a below average football player who made a great deal of money and didn't deserve it. He was White.

Truth is Bills fans speak it like they see it. Taylor isn't gonna get us to where we need to go. That's why they want to move on.

Quote from article.

Bills QB Tyrod Taylor believes he's 'held to a higher standard' because he's African-American

Who are the ones that hold him to a higher standard because he is African-American?

Nobody in Buffalo does that that. Sure race is still a problem in America but Buffalo fans don't hold that against him they just want to make a playoff run for once and want a QB good enough to do it. Don't care if he is orange, yellow, blue whatever color has zero to do with it.

That's the quote calling Bill's fans racist? Gotcha.

I humbly revert to my previous quote suggesting you are butt-hurt.

who called you a racist?

taylor didn't.

see, I did not read in to as racist. I read in to it that a black QB feels he is under more pressure to perform then the white QB's because of his race. should he of said it. probably not, especially if he would of known how blown out of proportion it would become and that fans like you would use it to fit your agenda.

fact.

You just defined racism in your second sentence. :doh:

What he said was directed at a group of Buffalo fans.

Agenda? Come on man sorry I don't hold him up like this clique does, my opinion of him is I want better, never said he sucked always say he is just not good enough. The agenda I see the most is by a small little clique that goes out of their way to discredit anyone that has a different opinion of him and wants better from their starter here in Buffalo. They get called haters and now racist by the QB they want replaced. Intolerable in here when you are blasted because you want change and better, sadly we lost some good posters over it, how dare anyone want better for a team that now holds the longest playoff loser streak in all of sports.

He never called you a racist. Read the FULL article without your agenda glasses on.

That's the quote calling Bill's fans racist? Gotcha.

I humbly revert to my previous quote suggesting you are butt-hurt.

Can you please clarify for everyone here who TT is referring to?

Quote from Rush:

"Who are the ones that hold him to a higher standard because he is African-American?"

Seriously, I'm curious about your take on this.

So a white QB with Taylor's arm, athleticism, character, production, experience in a pro-style system and the intelligence to both audible at the LOS AND make the line calls for VA Tech wouldn't get taken until the 6th round?

Look, I hate the overplay of racism.....I think there is often a reverse racism in play and that the anthem protests are preaching to the choir and racially divisive.

But Taylor was taken by a black GM in the 6th round that didn't need a QB because he was bpa BY A LOT.

And then there is Jake Locker.........lesser player in almost every respect.......taken in the first round.

Have we not already determined that Russell Wilson should have been a first round pick?

Taylor should have been taken in the early rounds as well......no question about it........and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't know the value of QB play or has an agenda.

Face it.......race was a big factor in his low pedigree........and his low pedigree has been a big factor in fans and analysts perception of him..........therefore race is a big factor in the double standard.

As for currently, there is a very vocal minority of racists at the stadium and calling in to radio shows etc..

It's MUCH smaller than it used to be........but based on talking to them and hearing them in the stadium I'd still put that vocal figure close to 10% of the white males in the stadium.

And even among that group I think it's more of a creeping feeling that having a black QB is a disadvantage than it is any kind of racial hate.

I'd say that figure is less here........but they exist for sure and that is part of the vocal Tyrod hate.

Without it.......he has less critics AND more vocal support.

The racial element bothers the much higher % of people who hate Taylor that are just football-dumb.............because they get lumped in with them as racists...........but unfortunately you guys have racism on your side on the anti-Taylor team.

Russell Wilson is short. Why not go to the obvious reason he fell in the draft > race ?

Can we back that example out of the racism wins column ?

I raise your Jake Locker with Akili Smith, Ej Manuel, Geno Smith, Josh Freeman, and Jamarcus Russell.

No one was complaining about Tyrod falling in the draft in real time. If he was first round worthy he would have been scooped by the 3rd not the 6th.

"Have racism on our side". Ridiculous.

We have a struggling passer on our side.

Edited by Game Manager

It would make me feel better if you didnt insult anyones intelligence by drawing parallels between a top 5 qb in nfl history and a current bottom 5 starter in the league. Theres no reason to even mention the two in the same conversation

I think you totally missed the point. For that matter its pretty stupid not to compare him against others in his position. Honestly the worst argument I have ever heard on a message board is from those that say "don't compare against elite QB so and so." Why wouldn't I? You are just proving my point that Tyrod is held to a higher standard. It may not be because of race, but he is indeed held to a higher standard.

Look proof Tyrod is a terrible QB! He is 1-11 in comebacks.

Aaron Rodgers is 1-35 against winning teams in comebacks.

How dare you compare Tyrod to one of the greatest ever just because they play the same position!

Quote from article.

that was not calling bills fans racist. see, you're obviously not black nor have had to live in a society as a black man where still to this day, african americans are looked down on because of their race. it goes for any facet in society but in this case it's the nfl. again, what I read in to it is that taylor feels pressure because of his race. he does not say " those bills fans are racist fans who believe I don't meet expectations because I'm black". he did make a mistake by even opening this can of worms because the sensitive sorts want to put in to a racist form and instead of just saying "I'm feeling pressure by not living up to expectations at the QB position", it would of never been blown so out of proportion.

his fault for doing that.

You just defined racism in your second sentence. :doh:

true definition at that. not hard to do in this society.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Can you please clarify for everyone here who TT is referring to?

Quote from Rush:

"Who are the ones that hold him to a higher standard because he is African-American?"

Seriously, I'm curious about your take on this.

You'd have to ask TT on that. I genuinely enjoyed the piece...I love it when athletes open up/vent etc. But I think K.Martin should've asked a follow-up to the question as the statement is open-ended. Hence, 14 pages and counting....

Quote from article.

That's the headline that some dude wrote for clicks. That's not a direct quote from what he said.

As to your last line its naïve. You are essentially saying that racism exists but not in Buffalo.

Interesting comments originally from a Buffalo News interview.

"(Criticism) is always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am - an African-American quarterback. Look across the league, man. We're held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect."

Taylor wonders why black quarterbacks are labeled as "mobile" while white quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers and Derek Carr are considered "pocket passers" despite often using their athleticism to extend drives.

"Even though they're 'mobile' guys, they don't necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair."

Thoughts?

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/14/bills-tyrod-taylor-believes-hes-held-to-a-higher-standard-because-hes-african-american/

Yeah - pretty much mostly BS.

EJ isn't mobile, and Warren Moon sure wasn't. In fairness to the concern though, I've read a lot of folks here calling EJ a mobile QB, and I have assumed it was b/c he was black, so yeah, there's some of that. OTOH...

If Taylor wants to get less criticism for his play, he might try HITTING HIS DAMNED RECEIVERS ACCURATELY. Even better - try LEADING them in their routes - maybe even throw them open? I know, I'm asking for miracles because I'm racist.

OR, he can continue to throw over their heads, behind them, or at their toes, and continue to whine about how unfair it is to be paid millions to be a mediocre QB.

Edited by BobChalmers

So a white QB with Taylor's arm, athleticism, character, production, experience in a pro-style system and the intelligence to both audible at the LOS AND make the line calls for VA Tech wouldn't get taken until the 6th round?

Look, I hate the overplay of racism.....I think there is often a reverse racism in play and that the anthem protests are preaching to the choir and racially divisive.

But Taylor was taken by a black GM in the 6th round that didn't need a QB because he was bpa BY A LOT.

And then there is Jake Locker.........lesser player in almost every respect.......taken in the first round.

Have we not already determined that Russell Wilson should have been a first round pick?

Taylor should have been taken in the early rounds as well......no question about it........and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't know the value of QB play or has an agenda.

Face it.......race was a big factor in his low pedigree........and his low pedigree has been a big factor in fans and analysts perception of him..........therefore race is a big factor in the double standard.

As for currently, there is a very vocal minority of racists at the stadium and calling in to radio shows etc..

It's MUCH smaller than it used to be........but based on talking to them and hearing them in the stadium I'd still put that vocal figure close to 10% of the white males in the stadium.

And even among that group I think it's more of a creeping feeling that having a black QB is a disadvantage than it is any kind of racial hate.

I'd say that figure is less here........but they exist for sure and that is part of the vocal Tyrod hate.

Without it.......he has less critics AND more vocal support.

The racial element bothers the much higher % of people who hate Taylor that are just football-dumb.............because they get lumped in with them as racists...........but unfortunately you guys have racism on your side on the anti-Taylor team.

This is absolute revisionist history. By a lot.

Wilson was drafted late because of his height. That was his major knock in scouting. I fully believe that if he was 6'3", he would've been a first rounder.

Edited by jmc12290

He was criticizing fans with the race card, his fans are Buffalo fans so yes I see it as a direct finger point at Buffalo.

Quote from article"Bills QB Tyrod Taylor believes he's 'held to a higher standard' because he's African-American"

Who is the one holding him to a higher standard? Well he works in Buffalo so that points the finger at Buffalo

You can think anything you want. Just like tyrod. I didnt take it that way. But then again I see the systemic racism in America. You black?

Well, first of all, I have to agree that white people have far more expertise in recognizing racism than black people. When a black person tells you he has experienced racism, ignore what he has to say and instead rely on your experiences as a white person. In fact, I think the best way to illustrate your superior understanding of racism is to treat such claims by black people with mockery, doubt and reflexive incredulity. There couldn't possibly be even a kernel of truth to such claims. Why on earth would anyone think that a black quarterback in the NFL might have a better understanding of racism regarding the evaluation of black quarterbacks than people outside the locker room who know even less about racism than they know about football? If you haven't experienced racism, how could it possibly exist? If you are convinced that you are not a racist then does it not follow, a priori, that there are no racists?

Edited by Mickey

I feel fine because I was the same way with Edwards, Losman, Fitz, EJ and now Taylor. I wanted them all out of here because I knew they were not good enough to get this team to a super bowl.

Poor QB play will get you criticized in any city. You want to see a city with crazy QB hate than trade TT to Chicago. He will want to go back to Buffalo In a week.

A black teammate of Jameis Winston's says it is far from uncommon for Winston, and other black players around the NFL, to still hear numerous racial slurs when going to opposing stadiums.

"I've heard it with Jameis, and I know it's happened to many other black players over the past few years," said the Buccaneers player, who asked not to be identified.

"I've been called the N-word on almost a weekly basis in some [opposing] stadiums," he said. "It gets nasty, and it's gotten worse in the past two or three years."

The player estimated that 20 to 30 percent of the league's black players experience some type of racial hostility in stadiums while playing on the road. Another player said that number was slightly higher.

A black teammate of Jameis Winston's says it is far from uncommon for Winston, and other black players around the NFL, to still hear numerous racial slurs when going to opposing stadiums.

"I've heard it with Jameis, and I know it's happened to many other black players over the past few years," said the Buccaneers player, who asked not to be identified.

"I've been called the N-word on almost a weekly basis in some [opposing] stadiums," he said. "It gets nasty, and it's gotten worse in the past two or three years."

The player estimated that 20 to 30 percent of the league's black players experience some type of racial hostility in stadiums while playing on the road. Another player said that number was slightly higher.

Racist asses are racist asses. News at seven.