Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo has some racist, idiot fans (see PPP for example).

But honestly, I think Taylor has been treated as well as any qb in recent memory. Fitz and Losman got way more criticism. I actually am impressed with Bills fans because race is never really part of the Tyrod conversation.

just because you're not able to keep up with adult conversations doesn't make this true unless you subscribe to the theme "all those who disagree with me are Hitler or racist."

My God I expect better of you.

I just read the article and its a bad look on Taylors part. There are racist idiots who are fans (see pets of Lovejoy and South Buffalo). But I (and maybe its because I dont hang out with racist losers). Have ever heard TT criticized because of his race.

Bad look Tyrod.

keep them broad strokes up. I'm in NC and clearly a Klan member.

Dude, im not reaching for racism..i'm addressing the dozen or so posters that are constantly on here (we all know who they are) who literally have an obsession with criticizing Tyrod. Those fans are questionable, b/c it comes off as personal. That's all i'm saying.

So criticism = Racism in your mind now?

People acting like racism doesn't exist and overblow Tyrods comments taking it personal. News at eleven.

The issue with his comments here is that it sounds like a dodge for coming to grips with his own poor performances.

Racism exists to whatever extent and it sucks, but it's not why he can't lead his receivers on a crossing route. It's a really dumb thing for him to bring up when he's clearly not performing well.

This pretty much ends his career with the Bills, I believe. "Insult the customers" is never a good business play, and making excuses really doesn't sound like part of the McBeane process.

Edited by BobChalmers

The issue with his comments here is that it sounds like a dodge for coming to grips with his own poor performances.

Racism exists to whatever extent and it sucks, but it's not why he can't lead his receivers on a crossing route. It's a really dumb thing for him to bring up when he's clearly not performing well.

This pretty much ends his career with the Bills, I believe. "Insult the customers" is never a good business play, and making excuses really doesn't sound like part of the McBeane process.

Did you actually read the full article? I believe people are blowing what he said way out of proportion.

Did you actually read the full article? I believe people are blowing what he said way out of proportion.

"“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

No - I think I got it - he thinks better than 182 yards a game and leading your receivers equates to "almost perfect" and he thinks that requirement is based on fan or others perceptions about his skin color.

Edited by BobChalmers

Who said "everyone?" Not one person including Tyrod, the article writer, or any fan of this board has said that.

Except when #BADOL said that he fell in the draft because he was black, which is claiming that every GM held his race against him. Even the black ones.

Edited by jmc12290

People acting like racism doesn't exist and overblow Tyrods comments taking it personal. News at eleven.

It's overblown. Anecdotal evidence and likely just a few drunk losers. Of course, the whole protest thing isn't helping . Probably making them act out more than they would. A crowd of drunk football fans isn't necessarily representative of society as a whole , or how people act when not at a game. No one is saying there are no racists. Constantly acting like a victim will make everything appear like racism.

"“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

No - I think I got it - he thinks better than 182 yards a game and leading your receivers equates to "almost perfect" and he thinks that requirement is based on fan or others perceptions about his skin color.

And what he says is true to a certain extent. It may not be true of everybody but it is true of a lot of people. When Seattle went to the superbowl the media made a big thing about how Wilson could be the second black QB to win a superbowl. The President of the United States made that a thing too.

As to your remark about it... that's just what you inject into what he said. So again, it's being overblown.

And yet the numbers don't lie. Flutie's career numbers are 160 yards per game passing, 18 yards per game rushing, weak TD/INT ratio, 54% completion. Fun to watch but not a really good QB.

Objectively, I understand he was the last QB to take the Bills to the playoffs (Miracle season post-season bid goes to him) but he was not a great QB. That Bills era was led by Wade's defense.

Great post. He was an overrated QB. That defense was a legit SB caliber unit. Yes it may have been a different era of football ( when you could still play defense in the secondary) but it wasn't exactly the leather helmet era. Those stats were still pretty putrid for the time.

Except when #BADOL said that he fell in the draft because he was black, which is claiming that every GM held his race against him. Even the black ones.

Oh ok. I guess that means racism doesn't exist. I also think you are injecting a little of your own in there. He didn't exactly say that every GM held his race against him. He said Tyrod fell in the draft because he is black. That may not be true. It may also be true. I mean the league does feel the need for the Rooney rule.

In either case, the argument you are making now is far away from my initial comment. You are very good at moving goal posts. Perhaps the best I have ever seen.

Edited by Scott7975

Pathetic- im sick of the black/white bs in this country. TT is held to a high standard because he accepted the role as a starting QB in the NFL just like Kelly was held to a high standard. Kelly didnt take as much **** because he was truly a bonified number 1 where as TT wouldnt start on 75 percent of the other teams in this league- why, because he isnt good enough plain and simple. This has nothing to do with his skin color.

On a side note- as an italian American im sick of hearing about how the black American is oppressed in this country. Take a look in the history books and see what italians went through. You dont hear us whining about what happened 2-3 generations ago. Time to get over it and all of us to act like mature, hard working Americans.

Edited by billsfan_34

Great post. He was an overrated QB. That defense was a legit SB caliber unit. Yes it may have been a different era of football ( when you could still play defense in the secondary) but it wasn't exactly the leather helmet era. Those stats were still pretty putrid for the time.

And the coaching staff was so unimpressed he was benched for the playoffs.

Oh ok. I guess that means racism doesn't exist.

I've missed where that was stated.

Some may think it's just is a lousy excuse for being criticized for not doing one's job particularly well.

Pathetic- im sick of the black/white bs in this country. TT is held to a high standard because he accepted the role as a starting QB in the NFL just like Kelly was held to a high standard. Kelly didnt take as much **** because he was truly a bonified number 1 where as TT wouldnt start on 75 percent of the other teams in this league- why, because he isnt good enough plain and simple. This has nothing to do with his skin colors.

On a side note- as an italian American im sick of hearing about how the black American is oppressed in this country. Take a look in the history books and see what italians went through. You dont hear us whining 3 abiut what happened 2-3 generations ago. Time to get over it and all of us to act like mature, hard working Americans.

Bang on post, brother. Couldn't agree more. As a side note, I'm also an Italian American.

Taylor gets a lot of flack because he's the QB of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 17 years. Look at Fitz, Holcomb, Trent, JP, Orton, Bledsoe, Todd Collins, Flutie, Rob Johnson, etc. Those guys got just as much criticism, if not more, than TT.

I can guarantee you that the entire fanbase would be embracing TT if he could lead this team to the playoffs. His level of play has not consistently been playoff caliber. The race card is just an excuse.

And what he says is true to a certain extent. It may not be true of everybody but it is true of a lot of people. When Seattle went to the superbowl the media made a big thing about how Wilson could be the second black QB to win a superbowl. The President of the United States made that a thing too.

As to your remark about it... that's just what you inject into what he said. So again, it's being overblown.

What did I inject? I quoted him, and added the context of his own performance. What do you think he meant by the "almost perfect" remark - he was referring to someone else's performance but not his own?? Are you asserting that Tyrod thinks it's fair to be required to be "almost perfect"? No, Tyrod is saying he is held to an unfair standard and I am saying that's irrelevant and a dodge because he is not playing to even a low standard.

Edited by BobChalmers

Tyrod wasn't around during the Flutie/Johnson era when people were constantly on Flutie and his QBR. Between 1998-99, the Bills had a great defense and the offense was scoring just enough points to win (sounds similar to 2017).

Edited by Jerry Jabber