McBrothers "Silent Tank" occurring?

Big Turk

How about this scenario: the non-playoff teams would get to draft based on the best non playoff team drafting first with the second best team drafting second and so on. After all the non playoff teams have drafted then the normal order and rules would apply. This would provide the incentive to win for all teams as finishing last would have the least reward. More wins equal a better draft position.

I like this. Very forward thinking. This is pure genius. You came up with this idea that usually involves a think tank conference. Gold.

Played out it would clearly incentivize trying to make playoffs and it you slightly failed then benefit of that 1st or 2nd pick is an awesome consolation prize. Someone could try to lose the last game or 2 for jockeying draft position if they think they can not win in playoffs although that would be so rare it sounds ludicrous just typing it. Every team thinks they have a chance if they can just get to playoffs, but this plan would completely stop the season long tank.

Edited by cba fan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as though they should at least try out a couple of receivers or move Reilly up from the practice squad.

I guess they're practicing with what they have and hope there is some improvement and consistency (positive consistency) with Clay, Tate, and Jones.

Otherwise, how can the offense be more productive (which it NEEDS to be) without any change or addition whatsoever?

We just have to hope that their practices lead to improvement.

Edited by leonbus23

It seems as though they should at least try out a couple of receivers or move Reilly up from the practice squad.

I guess they're practicing with what they have and hope there is some improvement and consistency (positive consistency) with Clay, Tate, and Jones.

Otherwise, how can the offense be more productive (which it NEEDS to be) without any change or addition whatsoever?

We just have to hope that their practices lead to improvement.

They aren't practicing until next week when the players return from having off this week. The coaches are off too.

Perhaps they don't believe any help would actually net results, or that the team just isn't good enough to make the tourney?

Idk, but I feel like any team who believes they can make it would make a move when our entire receiving corpse is gone/hurt/pathetic. Especially over the bye week.

Def not any type of tank though, imo.

nice double entendre, though I'm not sure it was intentional.

They aren't practicing until next week when the players return from having off this week. The coaches are off too.

That sucks. Didn't realize that. So they are really going with what they have. Wow. I can't believe they would literally do nothing to improve such an obvious team issue. Well, let's hope they have amazing practices next week.

Edited by leonbus23

People complain that McBeane isn't signing enough free agents. I don't get it. Do people actually believe there is starting talent just laying around, waiting for a call?

This is insane! All the good players are already signed. Free agency ended months ago. Get over it!

I was gone say this exact thing.

And - Coach McD and Beaner covet draft picks. They are the Krugerand of the NFL. They dont want to spend draft picks on anything but the draft. Trades are not possible unless someone wants to trade player for player....trading Tub O Goo #99 for an elite WR is not possible straight up. Another team would want a draft pick to take on that idiotic contract.

In the immortal words of Gene Hackman from Hoosiers: This is your team. We would hope you would support us for who we are....rather than who we are not

In the immortal words of Gene Hackman from Hoosiers: This is your team. We would hope you would support us for who we are....rather than who we are not

After the Atlanta injuries everyone expected Walter Powell would be brought in, since he had some limited impact in the past. Instead they gave him a cursory glance before cutting him to add another cornerback to the team. Of course the corners were thin, so that was needed - but so are the receivers. The team currently has (1) one rookie who is (hopefully, temporarily) a head case, (2) two punt returners, and (3) the dictionary definition of a cast-off journeyman. Now, maybe Powell was in no shape to help the team, or maybe this is an real case of the character issue people now see automatically after every front office move. But there's probably another factor too.

The team was always going to draft Taylor's replacement, no matter how well he plays or how far the team goes. They did not build up a hope chest of draft picks to chose a new tackle or back-up running back. It's doubtful the fan base would abide passing on a shinny new first-round qb, even if Taylor was to finish top-ten in passing. So McBeane has no overriding interest in supporting Taylor - with even some pluses in seeing him fail. If he can produce something with what he has, I'm sure that's fine. But there's no indication they'll take one extra step to help him out, even with a playoff spot still within reach. With the defense, I'd bet they'll continue to patch and repair as required. That's a unit they see as going forward. But McBeane has nothing invested in Taylor; he's on his own.

I miss Whaley, You know if he was still here he would be bringing in reinforcements. Maybe he couldn't field a winning combination but you knew he would keep trying.to address our needs. Now its crickets. Maybe they are tanking after all for that future QB. Lets not even try to help Tyrod who needs receivers. Bring back Whaley.

I miss Whaley too. I also miss dental surgery. :)

Edited by Bill from NYC

But then we wouldn't be treated to such awesome takes like Walter Powell being released is evidence of a tank.

Powell has produced more than any wide receiver currently playing - judging the latter by both this year and entire careers. That is why everyone expected him to be brought aboard. But invest a little more effort in reading comprehension and you'll see the real point was the front office did something to address a glaring defect in the defense and nothing to address a glaring defect in the offense. That's clearly my "take", along with suggesting that disparity is at least partially the result of how much McBeane has invested in the respected units going forward into next season.

Agree or not? You could at least try to say something intelligent, one way or another......

Long term it probably is, short term I am pissed because this team was good enough to make the playoffs with any type of help on offense and they do nothing.

This team may very well be good enough to make the playoffs, but no where near good enough to win the SB, and that's the ultimate goal of course. As fans of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in so many years, we would love to make the playoffs now. But I would much rather build a sustainable team for the future, start a long run of playoff appearances, and win a SB. Hopefully trusting the process will yield these results....

Edited by ricojes

This team may very well be good enough to make the playoffs, but no where near good enough to win the SB, and that's the ultimate goal of course. As fans of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in so many years, we would love to make the playoffs now. But I would much rather build a sustainable team for the future, start a long run of playoff appearances, and win a SB. Hopefully trusting the process will yield these results....

Yes and 17 years and no playoffs means nothing. This new regime has convinced you 100% they are so good.

The reason they are 3-2 is 2 turnovers in 5 games (one desperation vs. Cincy) and a defense getting every bounce and deflection (+8 differential).

You may be right but to me its too clinical and calculating. Lets just play ball and let the better team win. Tired of these long range plans and tossing away good years of football. Maybe I don't need a superbowl but need good competitive games year in and year out.

I was gone say this exact thing.

And - Coach McD and Beaner covet draft picks. They are the Krugerand of the NFL. They dont want to spend draft picks on anything but the draft. Trades are not possible unless someone wants to trade player for player....trading Tub O Goo #99 for an elite WR is not possible straight up. Another team would want a draft pick to take on that idiotic contract.

I dunno...Whaley seemed to be very adept at bringing in waiver wire guys who were valuable contributors on the team routinely...

Chandler, Groy, Hunter, Urbik, etc...

He could find people that could help...the question is how good is he at finding them?

I dunno...Whaley seemed to be very adept at bringing in waiver wire guys who were valuable contributors on the team routinely...

Chandler, Groy, Hunter, Urbik, etc...

He could find people that could help...the question is how good is he at finding them?

Was Chandler a waiver wire guy? Didn't realize that. Hunter was meh

The Bills' hierarchy definitely wants to lose. That being said, you still got 53 men trying as hard as they can so it's not shocking that they've won a few games. It's not like the players are ever trying to lose. But if the team was trying to win, they would've done something about the WR position after Matthews went down. They would've also addressed their RB depth by now. It's like a 75% tank. It's not like they're gonna win the Super Bowl this year. Watching the game last night should make it clear to everyone what their ultimate objective is here. And I'm on board with it.

The Bills' hierarchy definitely wants to lose. That being said, you still got 53 men trying as hard as they can so it's not shocking that they've won a few games. It's not like the players are ever trying to lose. But if the team was trying to win, they would've done something about the WR position after Matthews went down. They would've also addressed their RB depth by now. It's like a 75% tank. It's not like they're gonna win the Super Bowl this year. Watching the game last night should make it clear to everyone what their ultimate objective is here. And I'm on board with it.

Nailed it.

9-7 and the screams about flushing the playoffs down the toilet with the tank would be unbearable.

I love how brainwashed some fans are. I wonder how playoff team fans feel when told they are a playoff team, but not a Superbowl contender, so may as well have tanked the season.

Were the NYG a real SB team when they won it twice??? They actually may each time have been the longest shots come the playoffs.

So how many teams are tanking this year because they can't win the SB????

Boy do I hate this 5 year plan.

I think it is a tear down, not a tank. Baby Beane wants out from under Gettelman's shadow so he is getting rid of Whaley's players so in a few years he can say he did it all himself. If it comes to it and he finds a way to get rid of any of Tyrod, Dareus or Glenn our cap is going to be in disarray. This board will torch him for all the dead cap money and situation.

Also - draft capital doesn't just have to be used on draft picks.

. the real point was the front office did something to address a glaring defect in the defense and nothing to address a glaring defect in the offense. That's clearly my "take", along with suggesting that disparity is at least partially the result of how much McBeane has invested in the respected units going forward into next season.

Perhaps they were thinking that if the D had done better vs Bungles, like not giving up the bomb or the last FG, we would have won the game?

That's how a defensive coach would look at.

Nailed it.

Same old Bills. Can't even lose right.

How about this scenario: the non-playoff teams would get to draft based on the best non playoff team drafting first with the second best team drafting second and so on. After all the non playoff teams have drafted then the normal order and rules would apply. This would provide the incentive to win for all teams as finishing last would have the least reward. More wins equal a better draft position.

Better yet, draft order should be set by last time in the playoffs. Basically, longest drought gets 1st overall all the way down to the tie breaker being win/loss and the current standard rules. Parity BABY!

We might have made the playoffs by now?

Edited by Real McCoy

Long term it probably is, short term I am pissed because this team was good enough to make the playoffs with any type of help on offense and they do nothing.

same here. 2019, ****, I may not even be here. last years offense with this defense, they see the post season.

well, nothing wrong with looking long term I suppose, as long as the plan works and you're in on the 20th, do you call it an anniversary?

20 year drought, what a drag.

nice double entendre, though I'm not sure it was intentional.

I laughed out loud.

we mortgage the future by using future picks (Sammy, ragland) folks complain

we set ourselves up for the future by acquiring future picks (sammy, darby trades) folks complain

we__________(fill in the blank) folks complain

I believe your describing the saying

"Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't!"