Cam Newton under fire for comment toward female reporter

YoloinOhio

Pretty idiotic thing to say.

wow is right. I did watch it.

sorry that it offended you and her and those that seemed to have found it offensive.

I did not. but hey, I'm not that easily offended.

It's not about being offended. It's about him being an idiot for saying that. Even if you think it, in this day and age you should be smart enough to know not to say something to the media like that.

And it's pretty obvious why it might be offensive to her. Why would she not know about routes when it's her job to cover sports? I'm sure he has never said that to a male reporter, even though most of those guys have never played football either.

Edited by MJS

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty idiotic thing to say.

It's not about being offended. It's about him being an idiot for saying that. Even if you think it, in this day and age you should be smart enough to know not to say something to the media like that.

And it's pretty obvious why it might be offensive to her. Why would she not know about routes when it's her job to cover sports? I'm sure he has never said that to a male reporter, even though most of those guys have never played football either.

I don't get it. Not in the least. Is the story just that he's an idiot while speaking to a reporter in a press conference, and if so...what's the game plan to address the outrage? Demand an apology for what he said, or what he thinks? And if she's offended, which would be perfectly understandable, what's the end game there? Will an apology from an idiot solve the problem, because isn't the problem that he's an idiot??

I don't get it. Not in the least. Is the story just that he's an idiot while speaking to a reporter in a press conference, and if so...what's the game plan to address the outrage? Demand an apology for what he said, or what he thinks? And if she's offended, which would be perfectly understandable, what's the end game there? Will an apology from an idiot solve the problem, because isn't the problem that he's an idiot??

Great point. I love this trend in society where we basically force people to apologize for making dumb remarks. What does a forced apology prove? It doesn't change who that person is, or what they believe. Why do people give in to public pressure to apologize? I've been known to make stupid remarks from time to time. If I were a public figure, I'm sure I'd get called out for something. The difference is that I wouldn't retract the statement. I might explain why I made the statement, and its true intent, but I wouldn't take it back. Taking ones words back proves nothing. Especially when those words are indicative of ones personality. You can't change who Cam Newton is, take it or leave it.

Lots of feminists men in this thread.

I thought what he said was creepy. I don't really have a problem with the comment in and of itself: women don't run routes so he thinks it's funny. Then again, most of the male reporters have never run a route either. Looked like a crappy attempt at flirting, not some dig like people are making it out to be.

I feel like American society is going backwards...yeesh.

I just had a friend get fired from his job for being a huge sexist. It's something we all need to be aware of. Simply respecting others, no matter their gender, is a hard concept for many to grasp.

Most stupid questions I hear from the media come from men. Many of them have no idea what they're talking about. It's hard to argue that such a comment towards a woman comes from a good place. It's just stupid and disrespectful.

Imagine working hard at your job and being proud of what you do. Then someone dismisses it as "funny" for whatever reason. No one here would take that lightly, I'm sure.

Your friend is going to be in interesting company in many parts of the country.

In NY, you can be fined up to $250,000 for not using the gender pronoun individual people prefer to be called.

In CA SB-219, the Long Term Care Facilities Bill, it is proposed that the bill would make it unlawful...to take specified actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status, including, among others, willfully and repeatedly failing to use a resident’s preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns

That's right.

Against the law.

To use the wrong pronoun.

Because you will be made to care.

I saw some people today where I just couldn't tell the gender! I may need to stay inside....

Against the law. Ha! Someone needs to punch them in their law-maker parts!!

I saw some people today where I just couldn't tell the gender! I may need to stay inside....

Against the law. Ha! Someone needs to punch them in their law-maker parts!!

I predict this Cam Newton thing will not end quickly or well.

Can't wait to see all the sports writers who go to twitter to tell us how to think about this topic. Ain't so SJW like a sports-writing SJW.

​If an 'important' person farts, the world will get the details within seconds.

Life is now a second to second, non-stop crisis.

I am one of the 7 people in the country without a 'smartphone' and I'll never get one.

I can't be one to call out Newton cause I would be up there teasing females too. Especially if they are hot.

Like if I was WH Press Secretary and I got to answer questions from dumbwit Hallie Jackson every day. I would flirt and make fun of her all the time.

You sound evolved.

Lots of feminists men in this thread

Lots of shallow thinkers in most threads, so...I'll take comments from "feminists (sic) men" any day.

Sounded like a legit question to me. I dont see why Cam is so taken aback by it. Just a stupid comment that was completely unnecessary. Answer the damn question and keep stupid little thoughts like that to yourself.

Let's all try to pretend that the women hired to "analyze football" are nothing but eye candy, hired in order to get more viewership from horny young men.

Either that, or every female who "knows football" just happens to be hot.

Bull ****.

I'm with Cam on this one.

Let's all try to pretend that the women hired to "analyze football" are nothing but eye candy, hired in order to get more viewership from horny young men.

Either that, or every female who "knows football" just happens to be hot.

Bull ****.

I'm with Cam on this one.

Certain women certainly are just eye candy no doubt, but there are a few who know there stuff.

Best example that comes to mind is Jessica Mendoza for ESPN. Beautiful woman who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. I can tolerate women in sports as long as they know whats what.

Certain women certainly are just eye candy no doubt, but there are a few who know there stuff.

Best example that comes to mind is Jessica Mendoza for ESPN. Beautiful woman who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. I can tolerate women in sports as long as they know whats what.

I don't mind women in sports.

But let's be real. They find hot chicks. They teach them what they need to know. They coach them on what to say. And, because they are professionals, they learn.

I would bet my son's life on the fact that ZERO of the women on TV for football, were football enthusiasts growing up. They're entertainers and they've learned their parts.

They don't know schit about running routes and Cam Newton knows it.

Should he have said it? Perhaps not. Perhaps so.

I applaud him, personally.

It's easy to see how harassment situations are involved in that.

I don't agree with such a large fine. Seems a bit absurd. It's definitely grounds for dismissal, based on the situation, which is a hefty fine by itself in most cases.

I don't mind women in sports.

But let's be real. They find hot chicks. They teach them what they need to know. They coach them on what to say. And, because they are professionals, they learn.

I would bet my son's life on the fact that ZERO of the women on TV for football, were football enthusiasts growing up. They're entertainers and they've learned their parts.

They don't know schit about running routes and Cam Newton knows it.

Should he have said it? Perhaps not. Perhaps so.

I applaud him, personally.

I tend to agree with you up until the last two lines. I just think its one of those things that doesnt need to be said. As men we all know that because they havent played the sport but is it really a necessary comment? Shes just doing her job and making a paycheck.

I also agree with Augie, keep women out of the locker rooms. Youre asking for problems if you have them around a bunch of testosterone driven superhumans.

I predict this Cam Newton thing will not end quickly or well.

Can't wait to see all the sports writers who go to twitter to tell us how to think about this topic. Ain't so SJW like a sports-writing SJW.

Naah. Being black is still at least two notches above women on the SJW peaking order. Therefore instead of this being national news had it been Kirk Cousins or Jay Cutler, this will blow over in a day or two with barely a mention outside of the sports bubble.